Who is the most important batter in England's top 6?

Hasan123

Test Star
Runs
We all know about how good England's top 6 is . Arguably the best batting line up in world cricket currently.

Who do you think is the most important batter for England?

Roy
Bairstow
Root
Morgan
Stokes
Buttler

Discuss.....

Morgan or one of the openers. Openers are important in setting the tone as if they do well rest of the England team also does well. However, I feel the glue that holds their middle order together is Morgan and he does it at a brisk pace. I would say currently Morgan is one England's best ODI batsman ever. If Morgan is doing well then the team usually also does well which shows how important and impactful a player he is.

Jason roy!
Just like for us its fakhar.
Get these two players out cheaply and you have a good chance of winning.

Buttler is the cherry on top after roy gets them off to a flier.
Same happens with us when fakhar gets us of to a flier. Remember CT17 ?Hafeez was the cherry on top for us.

Buttler.

Even if they have a poor start, you just can't relax knowing that they have butter at 6.

I will say the opening pair: Jason Roy and Bairstow.

I would like to see what do they score if both of them fail in the same match.

But their batting is so so strong, they might still come up with 350.

I will say the opening pair: Jason Roy and Bairstow.

I would like to see what do they score if both of them fail in the same match.

But their batting is so so strong, they might still come up with 350.

Bairstow is a good player but he is a leg side player predominantly. Hence smart bowlers can keep him in check. He still may score boundaries and runs but at a slower sr. Thats why amir being in the team is important even if he doesnt take many wickets now.
Yes england batting is strong on these flat pitches and even if the openers get dismissed cheaply they might still get to a par score. But if roy gets going , they will get a huge score.
Also this battling line up is not as strong as you people think, if theres swing or spin this team can be bundled out cheaply.

Bairstow for setting up a target, Morgan while chasing. Roy is too inconsistent, Stokes and Butler a little overrated and Root is the weak link.

Last edited:
Bairstow for setting up a target, Morgan while chasing. Roy is too inconsistent, Stokes and Butler a little overrated and Root is the weak link.
Just need to bowl outside off to keep bairstow quiet. Something our bowlers couldnt work out. Morgan is the most important player in the team as captain and leader.. root is like babar very important player but people dont appreciate him because hes not a six hitter(same with babar).stokes and buttler are dangerous. But for me the man is roy, if we get him out cheaply on 3 june i believe we wil win that match. If we dont then i think england will win.

Roy. He sets the tone and inspires Bairstow in particular.

All 6, if one doesn't fire other one does, that makes England batting absolute #1 in the world. India only relies on Rohit to fire, and even he always gets lucky by 2-3 catches being dropped. And Kohli is very much non existence in world events.

I say it is Joe Root.

He is the one who acts as the glue.

Root is the most technically sound batsman from the top 6 and on tough pitches you can rely on him more than others.

Roy and Bairstow at this moment.

Earlier I felt it was between Root and Buttler. Stokes also has come good this WC with the bat.

Jason Roy. When he fails to give Eng the start they struggle more often than not.

I have said it before and will say it again, Jason Roy is the most important member of England's Squad. The impact he creates upfront is unmatchable and almost guarantees a English victory, if opposition team isn't able to remove him early.

The only bowling attack that disarmed roy was pakistan!
NZ's bowling attack is very similar to paks!!
If NZ get roy cheaply, NZ will be favourites to win, but if they fail to do so, then england will be favourites in my humble opinion!!!

There is not one particular batter who is better than others.
Bairstow, Roy, Root, Morgan, Butler and Stokes, all are equally good batters. May be stokes is slightly lesser batsman but he can contribute with the ball.

Good question.

It's the top 3 that have to set the tone, so it has to be one of them ideally. I would say on good batting wickets and Root in low to mid scoring contests.

I will say at home Jason Roy. Away from home is too close to call, but going by away averages I would say Joe Root, as I expected, since he is superior to his peers when it comes to acclimatising to different conditions, whereas Roy's record outside of England is a mixed bag.

Buttler can be reach this status if he bats at 4 after this WC. I feel England aren't getting the best out of him at 5 or 6, but I also understand the likes of Morgan and Stokes above him in the batting order aren't quite as dynamic as he is.

Last edited:
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, if Roy and Bairstow don't get you, Root, Morgan, Stokes and Buttler must.

Back