Why did the PCB replace Javed Miandad as captain in January 1993?

Savak

Test Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
I am attaching a few articles and discussion boards i found from 1993

Pakistan under Javed Miandad had won the test series against England 2-1 in 1992 and the one test match against New Zealand in 1993. However we lost the ODI series against England 4-1 and had a disasterous World Series tournament in Australia featuring West Indies and Australia.

Miandad's batting performances at the time did not mirror his peak years but he had scored a century against England in 1992 and a couple of important 50's for Pakistan during that time period therefore to claim his batting form was a concern was not justified at the time.

Miandad in his autobiography blamed Imran Khan for inciting Wasim, Waqar for revolting against his captaincy and for advising board officials to replace Miandad as captain with Wasim in 1993. Wasim in his autobiography claims Miandad was a terrible man manager and was not really behaving like a leader i.e. getting into petty squabbles over money with his team mates, being very condescending, rude towards youngsters.

Imran was an advisor to the BCCP at the time and he states that while he provided a general recommendation to the Cricket Board that it was important to plan for the future and to think of a successor in the long run, he didn't precisely state or recommend to the Board to replace Miandad.

Aamir Sohail and Salim Malik both state that the decision to remove Miandad as captain kickstarted the politics, intrigues, cliques in the dressing room where the talented players of the 90's instead of playing for the team, indulged in unnecessary politics in the team in the race for revenge, settling scores, captaincy which is why the team of the 90's badly under achieved given the talent the squad possessed. Both these players blame Imran Khan for this move for replacing Miandad.

I personally think if Miandad's form, fitness permitted him to play on till the 1996 WC, he should have been backed by the board given that he was the most senior player in the team and the biggest legend. Perhaps him being sacked as captain reduced his motivation to play on from 1993 onwards.

December 1993 was the last time Miandad played for Pakistan, he retired in protest after being dropped from the team in 1994 and he was persuaded to take back his retirement in 1994 by the then PPP government. However he developed a serious knee injury during training and he became available for selection just before the 1996 WC. The then selectors should not have picked him in the 1996 WC squad given the very little match practice he had.

Miandad's first tenure as captain ended in 1982 in similarly acrimonious circumstances.

Now one player mutiny as captain may be bad luck. Two player mutinies and several coaching stints that all ended in flames suggests the problem may be with Miandad himself and his poor man management skills.

Like many great cricketers turned coaches, he didn't understand that not everyone can perform at his level and would quickly take his frustrations out on players.

Javed should have been the Imran predecessor but may be team politics came into play then. Not idea about the intrigues.

Wasim in his auto biography said,javed wanted him to be vice captain but pcb removed javed and made wasim captain. I think this will fit as per @Savak .Wasim must be knowing what's coming for javed and all the time he took imran suggestions through out his career and afterwards(as per his book). Javed,I think purposefully must have offered vice captaincy to wasim in the name of guidance. No wonder every pak player thought they can become captain after that saga.

Man it probably feels great to read auto biographies and books on the eras after you watched it and than understand more context behind those matches by readding the books.

I hope cricketers that played during when I watched crick will also write there books. Afridi's book was just a disappointment

Back