Will Jacks: The Inspiring Batting All-Rounder from England

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
1714321427458.png

1714321456613.png

In May 2020, Jacks was named in a 55-man group of players to begin training ahead of international fixtures starting in England following the COVID-19 pandemic. In July 2021, he was named in England's One Day International (ODI) squad for their home series against Pakistan after the original squad for the tour was forced to withdraw following positive tests for COVID-19.

In September 2022, Jacks was named in England's Test and T20I squad for the away series against Pakistan. He made his T20I debut on 23 September against Pakistan. His Test debut came against Pakistan in the same tour, on 1 December 2022.

In February 2023, Jacks was named in both England's ODI and T20I squad as an injury replacement for Tom Abell for the away series against Bangladesh. He made his ODI debut against Bangladesh on 1 March. Later that year, he was included in the squads for the home series against England and Ireland.

In IPL 2024, he is representing RCB.

Will he be a significant figure in the coming years?

Jacks smashes unbeaten ton in stunning IPL run-chase​

Indian Premier League, Ahmedabad

Gujarat Titans 200-3 (20 overs): Sudharsan 84 (49); S Singh 1-23

Royal Challengers Bangalore 206-1 (16 overs): Jacks 100* (41), Kohli 70* (44)

Royal Challengers Bangalore won by nine wickets

Scorecard

England all-rounder Will Jacks smashed an unbeaten century off just 41 balls to help Royal Challengers Bangalore beat Gujarat Titans by nine wickets in the Indian Premier League.

Chasing 201 for victory, Jacks bludgeoned 10 sixes and five fours to help RCB reach their total with four overs to spare.

Jacks hammered 28 runs off one Rashid Khan over, including four sixes, and shared an unbeaten 166-run stand with Virat Kohli.

Kohli finished on 70 not out from 44 deliveries in RCB's 206-1.

Gujarat Titans had earlier posted 200-3 from their 20 overs, with Sai Sudharsan top-scoring with 84.

Jacks has made six T20 and four one-day international appearances for England since 2022.

England will name a provisional 15-player squad on Tuesday for their T20 World Cup title defence.

Jacks, playing in his first IPL, is the third England batter to make a century at this year's tournament after Jos Buttler and Jonny Bairstow.

"Initially when he came to bat, he was annoyed that he wasn't able to strike the ball as he wanted to," Kohli said of Jacks.

"The only talk was for him to stay calm. I was just happy to stay around and watch him go."

Australia all-rounder Glenn Maxwell returned for RCB after taking a short "mental and physical break" and took 1-28 as the hosts fielded first.

Sudarshan shared an 86-run stand with Shahrukh Khan (58) and put on 69 runs with South Africa's David Miller (26) to guide Gujarat to a decent total.

RCB lost Faf du Plessis at 40-1 but Jacks and Kohli combined well, Kohli reaching his 50 off 32 balls before his partner took over.

Jacks' fifty came from 31 balls but he reached his century with a six off Afghanistan spinner Rashid just 10 deliveries later in an astonishing display of hitting.

Despite their win RCB remain bottom of the table with just three victories from 10 matches, while Gujarat are seventh.

6.42pm - Virat Kohli celebrating Will Jacks' fifty.

6.48pm - Virat Kohli celebrating Will Jacks' hundred.

That was one of the craziest 10 ball 50

This is some crazy stuff by will jacks, last 10 balls fifty means boundary on every delivery.

HOwIiTk.jpeg

Big boy Jacks taking Rashid Khan for 28 runs in an over

Our boys couldn’t score more than 12 runs against Ish Sodhi for crying out loud!

"A Bit Daunting": Will Jacks On Being "Next AB de Villiers" For RCB​

Royal Challengers Bengaluru (RCB) all-rounder Will Jacks opened up on filling the shoes of legendary South African batter AB de Villiers as franchise's premier overseas batter, saying that the task is "daunting". Jacks, who was signed by RCB with very little fanfare back in 2022 and missed the 2023 season due to injury, finally delivered big time for the franchise against Gujarat Titans on last Sunday. He had an unbeaten 166-run stand with star batter Virat Kohli. After reaching his fifty in 31 balls, Jacks only took 10 more balls to reach his maiden Indian Premier League (IPL) ton, with five fours and 10 sixes.

His batting exploits and partnership with Virat reminded many fans of what AB used to do during his playing days for RCB and they wasted no time to express these comparisons on the internet.
Speaking during the RCB Insider show, a segment known for its comic content, Jacks addressed the comparisons and called AB a "world legend".

"It is a bit daunting, it is a bit scary (becoming the next AB de Villiers for RCB). Ab De Villiers is an RCB Legend, He is a World Legend. It is a lot of weight but I will just have to do what I can," said Jacks.

De Villiers, who scored over 20,000 runs for South Africa from 2004-18, represented the side from 2011-2021 in 157 matches. He scored 4,522 runs at an average of 41.10. He scored two centuries and 37 fifties for the side at a strike rate of over 158. He is also a part of the RCB 'Hall of Fame' along with West Indies cricket legend Chris Gayle and Indian pacer Vinay Kumar.

In the ongoing IPL season, Jacks has scored 176 runs in five matches at an average of 44.00 and a strike rate of over 191, with a century and fifty each. His best score is 100*. He has also taken two wickets with his useful spin bowling.

Speaking on being picked by RCB in 2022, Jacks said, "I was at home and I was picked. It was amazing, but I got injured. Could not play the last season. RCB fans are ridiculous."

On being asked about replacing Glenn Maxwell as his like-to-like replacement and playing golf with him, Jacks hilariously said, "I was happy to get rid of him (the all-rounder took a break after run of poor form), now that he is back I am under pressure. I was driving the buggy. Thought of kicking him out (on if he tried to injure Maxwell while playing golf)."

RCB is at the bottom of the points table with three wins and seven losses, with a total of six points. They will next play Gujarat Titans (GT) at home on Saturday.

It is a bit daunting, it is a bit scary (becoming the next AB de Villiers for RCB). Ab De Villiers is an RCB Legend, He is a World Legend. It is a lot of weight but I will just have to do what I can," said Jacks.
Humility

Go well Fella

I have a gut feeling that he won't perform well for the England in the upcoming T20 WC.

wow just checked. So he is a full time off spinner then. RCB has clearly under-utilized him.
I think he's a bit of a bits and pieces bowler but still managed 5 against us on a phatta so must have a bit of skill.

With 83% control over Pakistan's batting lineup, he is dominating their attack, playing shots effortlessly all around the ground.

England all-rounder Will Jacks says his experience playing in the Indian Premier League (IPL) has been "perfect preparation" for the T20 World Cup

Jacks, 25, is set to feature in his first global tournament for England off the back of making his debut in the IPL, which is widely considered the best franchise league in the world.

He played eight times for Royal Challengers Bengaluru, and hit an unbeaten 41-ball century in a winning run chase against Gujarat Titans as his side recovered from a poor start to reach the play-offs.

Jacks left the tournament early to join England, whose preparation for the T20 World Cup is limited.

They have only played 13 T20s since winning the tournament in Australia in November 2022.

They are in the middle of a four-match series against Pakistan but the opening game was rained off, while Tuesday's match in Cardiff may also be affected by bad weather.

"It [the IPL] was perfect preparation," Jacks, who made his 12th England T20 appearance in Saturday's 27-run win, told BBC Sport.

"It was amazing. I think everything that happens there with the crowd, the atmosphere, obviously the attention, it was completely different to anything I've experienced before but it felt great preparation.

"Going into that game at Edgbaston [on Saturday], I didn't feel really nervous to be honest. Obviously playing for England is unbelievable but I didn't feel like an extra surge of pressure or expectation.

"I think from what I've experienced over the last two months, it kind of came naturally to me and I felt very comfortable with it and the IPL helped. Every game has got such an onus on it and the expectation of the fans and the crowd, it's all there."

Jacks has been a regular at the top of Surrey's side in the T20 Blast and impressed in T20 franchise leagues in Australia, Pakistan and South Africa.

He has struggled to nail down a regular spot in international cricket due to the depth of the talent pool, but feels his role is now clearly defined ahead of travelling to the Caribbean.

"I know I'm going to bat number three now so it's something I've got my head around over the last six months," said Jacks.

"We've got two great openers who are going to set the platform and whatever situation I come in at I've got to be ready for that - and that's all been part of the learning curve.

"I feel much more comfortable now than I did in November in the Caribbean, and hopefully that will just keep growing. The more experiences I get there, the better I will come at it."

Jacks said he "learned a lot" by batting at three for RCB with "different conditions and coming in at different times during the game" aiding his development.

He is also a useful off-spinner and that may be a crucial asset for England with pitches in the Caribbean likely to aid slow bowling.

"I do [expect to bowl]," said Jacks. "I'll be ready, I've done my work. I'll be preparing like every other bowler and I'll be ready if needed.

Source: BBC

Dare I say it,

Salt and Jacks is an even more destructive opening combination than Salt and Butler.

Butler has started to take a bit of time to get going these days. Salt and Jacks can go from ball 1

Jacks and Salt can be breakout stars of the wt20 2024.
Should be a good succession combo for Hales and Roy.

Dare I say it,

Salt and Jacks is an even more destructive opening combination than Salt and Butler.

Butler has started to take a bit of time to get going these days. Salt and Jacks can go from ball 1
Well butler tries to bat through that's why. And more often then not he does. Dude doesn't take any risks. He just plays grounded shots in PP and unorthodox shots for 6.

He's fast because he's an expert at clearing the in ring without the need to slog.

Jason Roy should have been picked

most destructive batter england ever had.
Roy is well past his best. He just comes off 1 in 5 times now and does woefully in the other 4 games. He's More like the Chris Gayle of 2016 and beyond.

Jacks: England must be adaptable

England batter Will Jacks, ahead of his first World Cup:

"I am buzzing to get started. We had good preparation against Pakistan at home and I am really excited to get started.

"The pitch here looked slow for Namibia vs Oman.

"We played here in December against West Indies so we kind of know what to expect but we will have to be adaptable."

Back