Will UK Muslims vote for Rishi Sunak given his off the charts support for Israel?

Will UK Muslims vote for Rishi Sunak given his off the charts support for Israel?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

daytrader

ODI Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Rishi Sunak just landed in Tel Aviv and earlier had posted the Israel flag on his social media accounts. I find that leaders in the west from from minority groups are always going over the top to impress. Do you think these actions will have effect on his vote bank?

'UK stands with you,' Sunak tells Israel

After landing in Tel Aviv, Sunak told reporters:

"Above all, I’m here to express my solidarity with the Israeli people. You have suffered an unspeakable, horrific act of terrorism and I want you to know that the United Kingdom and I stand with you."

In an early statement, he said the Gaza hospital blast on Tuesday that caused mass Palestinian casualties should be “a watershed moment for leaders in the region and across the world to come together to avoid further dangerous escalation of conflict”, adding that Britain would be at “the forefront of this effort”.

Sunak will also urge the opening up of a route to allow humanitarian aid into Gaza from Egypt as soon as possible, and to enable British nationals trapped in Gaza to leave.

“Every civilian death is a tragedy. And too many lives have been lost following Hamas’s horrific act of terror,” Sunak said.

At least seven British nationals have been killed and at least nine are still missing since the attack on Israel, Sunak’s spokesperson said on Wednesday.

The Guardian

Is Joe Biden, Justin Treadeu, Anthony Albanese, Emanuel Macron etc are from minority community? They all are openly supporting Israel. Actually West never stands with terrorism, let it be Al Qaeda, ISIS or Hamas and condemns them equivocally. I am not very sure why Rishi is singled out here due to the color of his skin.

Muslims would not vote for him on the basis he is a RSS Hindutva supporter, Isreal support is neither here nor there.

Majority of Non-Muslims however will no vote for him because he is Brown, was never voted as PM, and is a rich Tory.

Zionists will vote for Sunak though which is why he is pulling this stunt.

Having said that Rishi will not win the next elections but that has nothing to do with his support to Israel. He won't win simply bcoz of the color of his skin. Anyone that lives or lived in Britain would know racism still runs ripe here and majority wants a white person as their leader. There is a reason a comical wrong like Liz Truss was also preferred over him.

London has now more non-whites and that is why Sadiq Khan is still the mayor. Let people outside London to vote for the mayor election in the capital, Khan will lose by a landslide margin just like Rishi would in next election.

All of this has nothing to do with Israel though. Rishi or no Rishi, Westminster will always stand with Israel. If Winston Churchil was alive or Tony Blair was still the PM, they would probably send British Army by now to fight in Gaza.

Conservatives will not win the next election. They can resurrect churchill's corpse and put him on the ballot, still not happening.

People in the UK are not concerned about Palestine and have bigger issues closer to home, especially illegal immigration, inflation and rising mortgages. Rishi is not losing because the brown, purple, Hindu, Jew whatever..... conservatives are losing because they've pushed the UK into a downward spiral and wiped out any credibility it had in it's economy.

Muslims, especially of Pakistani heritage by and large vote labour and can swing local elections. But with approx. 6% of the population have very little influence over the outcome of general elections.

Revoke visas of those committing antisemitism and hate crimes in UK - Sajid Javid​

Foreign nationals committing acts of antisemitism or other hate crimes in the UK should have their visas revoked, according to former home secretary Sajid Javid.

PM Rishi said the UK will “not tolerate this hatred” and said existing immigration rules do allow for a person to lose their right to stay in the UK if it is “not conducive to the public good”.

Their exchanges came at Prime Minister’s Questions, a session largely focused on the Israel-Hamas conflict.

Conservative MP Mr Javid told the Commons: “I’m proud to live in the most successful multi-racial democracy in the world, but it saddens me – and I think it shames this whole House – that British Jews have been subject to such vile abuse and hatred in recent days.

“Antisemitism and all hate crimes fly in the face of British values and we should not allow events abroad, no matter how horrific they are, to be used to sow seeds of division in our own country.

“So whilst I welcome all the actions that (Mr Sunak) is taking to fight hate crime, to bring people together, may I ask him to consider urgently an immediate and specific policy of revoking the visas of any foreign national that commits an act of antisemitism or any other hate crime?”

Home Secretary Suella Braverman appeared to be nodding as the question was asked.

The increase in incidents we've seen over the past week is utterly sickening and this Government will do whatever it takes to keep our Jewish community safe
Rishi Sunak
Mr Sunak replied: “I completely agree with (Mr Javid), who himself has done so much over the years to fight antisemitism.

“The increase in incidents we’ve seen over the past week is utterly sickening and this Government will do whatever it takes to keep our Jewish community safe.”

He said an additional £3 million has been committed to provide extra security for the UK’s Jewish population, adding the Government is working with the police to ensure that “hate crime and the glorification of terror is met with the full force of the law”.

Mr Sunak went on: “Under our existing immigration rules we do have the power to cancel a person’s presence in the UK if it is not conducive to the public good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Conservatives will not win the next election. They can resurrect churchill's corpse and put him on the ballot, still not happening.

People in the UK are not concerned about Palestine and have bigger issues closer to home, especially illegal immigration, inflation and rising mortgages. Rishi is not losing because the brown, purple, Hindu, Jew whatever..... conservatives are losing because they've pushed the UK into a downward spiral and wiped out any credibility it had in it's economy.

Muslims, especially of Pakistani heritage by and large vote labour and can swing local elections. But with approx. 6% of the population have very little influence over the outcome of general elections.
Sunak was the lamest of lame PMs.

In the words of Tory Grandee Nadine Dorries to Sunak 'Since you took office a year ago, the country is run by a zombie Parliament where nothing meaningful has happened'

He is the political equivalent of Flloyd Reifer who became West Indies captain for one series when the main team decided to go on strike against Bangladesh.

Sunak was the lamest of lame PMs.
In the words of Tory Grandee Nadine Dorries to Sunak 'Since you took office a year ago, the country is run by a zombie Parliament where nothing meaningful has happened'

He is the political equivalent of Flloyd Reifer who became West Indies captain for one series when the main team decided to go on strike against Bangladesh.
I would never quote anything Nadine Dorries says. Westminster currently is an incest filled with families and friends and she's been a long term friend of Boris Johnson, the man Rishi backstabbed and helped bring down. So she's miffed, especially after Rishi ruined her chances of lordship. Imagine Lord Nadine, who's biggest claim to fame is simply entertaining Boris.

Ever since managing to win the Brexit vote followed by a parliamentary majority, the elite right wing of the conservatives have completely lost plot. Any PM is a walking corpse with a target on his/her back. Rishi's economic mismanagement by generously handing out monetary freebies during the covid crisis lit the fuse that ultimately led to UK's current economic implosion. But what made him look credible was that he was preceded by an absolute buffoon, a.k.a the Truss!

I know Labour will be in power next, but they look clueless as well. They wont be arrogant as the current government, but will simply lack any real direction unless they win an absolute majority. I think the Lid dems will play spoilsport.

The Muslims have a history of going against their nation for the sake of standing up with Muslims in foreign nations. They are by design anti national.

There is nothing anti-national about refusing to support Israel. Many non-Muslims share the same sentiment, that is why Suella Braverman is calling about shutting down public shows of support for Palestine, her govt is terrified to show large protests criticizing Israel.

There is nothing national about offering blind support to the Zionist state.

There is nothing anti-national about refusing to support Israel. Many non-Muslims share the same sentiment, that is why Suella Braverman is barking about shutting down public shows of support for Palestine, her govt is terrified to show large protests criticising Israel.

There is nothing national about offering blind support to the Zionist state.

However, there is everything wrong in supporting terrorist organization like Hamas. This won't be tolerated in Britain

Pro-Palestine protests in UK ‘stirred up by Iranian and Hamas network’​

Head of Commission for Countering Extremism to say thousands of protesters did not appear out of nowhere

However, there is everything wrong in supporting terrorist organization like Hamas. This won't be tolerated in Britain

---

Head of Commission for Countering Extremism to say thousands of protesters did not appear out of nowhere

The quote I was answering was about it being anti-national not to support Israel. I even bolded in order hindutvas don't get confused. Neither I nor the poster I quoted mentioned anything about Hamas so what are you blathering on about?

You live in England right?

The quote I was answering was about it being anti-national not to support Israel. I even bolded in order hindutvas don't get confused. Neither I nor the poster I quoted mentioned anything about Hamas so what are you blathering on about?

You live in England right?

Yes in Bradford, UK and that too legally :)

BTW, read that post from @Bhaijaan again...he never said anti national for supporting Israel. His point was Muslims have a history of going against their nation for the sake of standing up with Muslims even if it means supporting terrorist orgs like Hamas.

BTW, read that post from @Bhaijaan again...he never said anti national for supporting Israel. His point was Muslims have a history of going against their nation for the sake of standing up with Muslims even if it means supporting terrorist orgs like Hamas.
@Bhaijaan please clarify if you meant this

Actually they did appear out of nowhere. But the Head of the Commission does not understand how near and dear to the hearts of muslims the cause of Palestine is. The worldwide protests for Palestine in the last week have shown the strong sentiment in muslim countries so much so that despotic regimes that are seeking normalisation with Israel have had to take anti-Israel stances publicly to cater to their masses.

So yeah save me the "its an Iranian network" BS.

@Bhaijaan please clarify if you meant this

It’s very clear and is well known.
The overwhelming muslim majority in the world consider themselves to be part of a greater global Islamic community beyond the national borders and that often puts them and their actions directly in conflict with that of their national government. Without beating about the bush, it’s called being anti-national.

@Mamoon and many other respectable Pakistani posters have time and again highlighted this tendency of the Ummatayeens.

Ok let's take it the meaning was as you assume. In which case we would need examples to study in depth. In my experience, they only time they have disapproved a national policy is when we Britain, have supported or directly attacked a Muslim country which was already oppressed and fighting state sponsored terrorism from external sources. Again, Muslims have often been joined by huge numbers of British local people who understand the nuances at play.

Otherwise Muslims have been proud to be part of the nation and support policy in all fields of life which don't contradict their beliefs.

Ok let's take it the meaning was as you assume. In which case we would need examples to study in depth. In my experience, they only time they have disapproved a national policy is when we Britain, have supported or directly attacked a Muslim country which was already oppressed and fighting state sponsored terrorism from external sources. Again, Muslims have often been joined by huge numbers of British local people who understand the nuances at play.

Otherwise Muslims have been proud to be part of the nation and support policy in all fields of life which don't contradict their beliefs.

@DeadlyVenom

Honestly, and it’s not like i want this, minority Muslim populations across the world are staring at a situation where they would have to soon pass a litmus test to prove their nationality and that their political thoughts are aligned with their nation’s geopolitical interests. Else wide scale persecutions could follow.

Europe is at the brink of it.
The days of the woke liberalisim of the west are pretty much over.

It’s very clear and is well known.
The overwhelming muslim majority in the world consider themselves to be part of a greater global Islamic community beyond the national borders and that often puts them and their actions directly in conflict with that of their national government. Without beating about the bush, it’s called being anti-national.

@Mamoon and many other respectable Pakistani posters have time and again highlighted this tendency of the Ummatayeens.
Rajdeep specifically claimed that you believe they have a support of terrorism against their nation. Do you believe this?

@DeadlyVenom

Honestly, and it’s not like i want this, minority Muslim populations across the world are staring at a situation where they would have to soon pass a litmus test to prove their nationality and that their political thoughts are aligned with their nation’s geopolitical interests. Else wide scale persecutions could follow.

There is no single political thought that people hold that aligns with national interest though right.

The former leader of the Labour party is for example pro Palestinian. He believes that a pro Palestinian approach is best for his nations geopolitical interest. A current Tory MP wants to take Rishi Sunak to court as he believes he is complicit in war crimes.

Why is it ok for them to hold this pov but not me?

@DeadlyVenom

Does that mean British Indian cricket fans will be required to support England over Bharat to prove their loyalty?

Does that mean British Indian cricket fans will be required to support England over Bharat to prove their loyalty?

At some point, they too will be under pressure but Bharat and England are friendly nations so this might not become an issue any time soon.

At some point, they too will be under pressure but Bharat and England are friendly nations so this might not become an issue any time soon.

The litmus test comes when friendly nations become enemies. If Bharat's rise to power threatened Britain's position in the future, then we might see MI5 stoking proxy wars on India's borders. When body counts start rising in Bharat then British Indians might need to leave Pak discussion boards and declare their British loyalty.

In any case, I believe that while a Muslim is supposed to uphold his faith above all else, he is required to follow the law of the land he lives in, so I don't really see any conflict if we exclude the odd crazy which you will find in any community.

Most British Muslims will vote for anybody as long as their lifestyle in the British Isles is maintained. Their feelings about the rest of the world is just lip service to maintain their cover.

Most British Muslims will vote for anybody as long as their lifestyle in the British Isles is maintained. Their feelings about the rest of the world is just lip service to maintain their cover.

That makes them pretty much like the rest of the human population then.

I would die but vote for this Hindutava supporter. His support for Israel makes me hate him even more.

doesnt matter, muslims dont vote tory anyway, and starmer is pro zionist too, so its a moot point.

doesnt matter, muslims dont vote tory anyway, and starmer is pro zionist too, so its a moot point.
When Starmer, a qualified barrister, said on LBC that Israel has the right to cut off water and electricity to Gaza, when any half-wit knows collective punishment is a war crime, he lost many votes of my demographic. Young and minority turnout could hit an all time low.

British PM Rishi Sunak suffers historic by-election defeats
LONDON, Oct 20 (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak's governing Conservatives suffered two crushing defeats in previously safe parliamentary seats on Friday, raising doubts about his party's ability to win the general election expected next year.

The double defeat showed a dramatic slump in support for the Conservatives, who have won the last four national elections, and indicates the opposition Labour Party is on course to win back power for the first time since 2010.

Labour won the seat of Mid-Bedfordshire, an area about 50 miles (80 km) north of London, overturning a majority of almost 25,000, making it the biggest deficit the party has overcome in a by-election since 1945.

Labour also overturned a huge majority in another former Conservative stronghold, Tamworth, a largely rural constituency in central England, with the party enjoying the second-highest swing from Conservatives since World War Two.

"These are phenomenal results that show Labour is back in the service of working people and redrawing the political map," Labour leader Keir Starmer said in a statement.

Sunak, a 43-year-old former investment banker, has recently tried to cast himself as a bold reformer and no longer the cautious technocrat who restored some of Britain’s credibility after scandals and economic turmoil forced his two predecessors from office.

With voters angry over high inflation, economic stagnation, and long waiting times to use the state-run health service, Sunak is running out of time and opportunities to close the gap on Labour, who have enjoyed a double-digit polling lead over the Conservative for over a year.

A spokesman the Conservatives said the results had been difficult but governments usually struggle to win elections mid-term.

In a speech at his party's conference this month, Sunak sought to cast himself as a bold reformer who was willing to take tough decisions to revive the economy.

Sunak announced plans to scrap a high-speed railway line that his predecessors had championed and last month announced plans to water down Britain's plans to tackle climate change.

After the conference, polls showed Sunak had failed to significantly narrow the deficit with Labour, although his personal ratings improved marginally.

Sunak is currently in the Middle East where he is encouraging countries to avoid a further escalation in the conflict between Israel and Hamas.

"POLITICAL EARTHQUAKE"
Labour had played down its chances of winning either seat with Starmer's spokesman saying this week his party had the same likelihood of a "moonshot".

The contests in Mid-Bedfordshire and Tamworth were caused by the high-profile resignations of politicians close to former prime minister Boris Johnson.

Former minister Nadine Dorries quit her Mid-Bedfordshire seat after she failed to secure support for being appointed to the upper chamber of parliament.

The contest in Tamworth was triggered when another politician, Chris Pincher, resigned after he was suspended from parliament for groping men at a London club. The accusations against him contributed to the collapse of former prime minister Boris Johnson's government.

Labour won the Mid-Bedfordshire seat with a majority of over 1,100 overturning a Conservative majority of 24,664 at the last general election in 2019.

The area had previously elected a Conservative member of parliament in every election since 1931.

In Tamworth, the Labour candidate Sarah Edwards won the seat with a majority of over 1,300, overturning the Conservative majority of 19,634 at the 2019 general election.

Peter Kyle, a senior Labour member, said his party had delivered a "political earthquake".

The Conservative party have only won one of the last 12 by-elections in this parliament, with half of the contests caused by resignations of politicians for misconduct.

When Starmer, a qualified barrister, said on LBC that Israel has the right to cut off water and electricity to Gaza, when any half-wit knows collective punishment is a war crime, he lost many votes of my demographic. Young and minority turnout could hit an all time low.
The other option was to point fingers at Israel, be called anti Semitic and lose the white vote, a far riskier proposition. Look where that got Corbyn. Like I mentioned previously 6% of the population is too small for the Muslim vote bank to sway a general election. Ethnic minorities in the UK aren't just made up of Muslims.

I predict strong voter turnout this time in order to get rid of the conservatives apart from conservative stronghold seats.

The other option was to point fingers at Israel, be called anti Semitic and lose the white vote, a far riskier proposition. Look where that got Corbyn. Like I mentioned previously 6% of the population is too small for the Muslim vote bank to sway a general election. Ethnic minorities in the UK aren't just made up of Muslims.

I predict strong voter turnout this time in order to get rid of the conservatives apart from conservative stronghold seats.
I dont think the white vote would have minded some nuanced comments on the issue while still supporting Israel.

what i will say however, to the dont vote for anyone contingent, if you have a certain political view which is represented by a certain party, to not vote for them on the grounds that they do no stand for another viewpoint is cutting your nose to spite your face.

the fewer people who vote leaves the decision making to the rabid political types, the worst people to be deciding imo.

I dont think the white vote would have minded some nuanced comments on the issue while still supporting Israel.
Issue is the conservatives and the murdoch media empire are looking for any sort of slip up from Starmer to call him anti-Semitic. It was a winning strategy against Corbyn, who was never anti-Semitic but they successfully labelled him as one. Starmer is playing safe and making sure there is no room for error.

Let's face the facts UK has nothing in this game, no influence and a middling world power at best. Anything that Sunak or Starmer does is for the consumption of local voters and will do little to influence the outcome in the Middle East. As a Labour leader his first priority is to win the next elections, tears for the Arabs or Jews can be shed later when he becomes PM.

Also - like many other geographies, I think the British Muslim vote is very predictable. They will vote for one party (Labour) come hell or high water.

Mathematically, you should keep the politicians guessing if you're a voting block. You and your community will reap dividends like it's an auction.

‘Failed to be a critical friend’: UK accused of taking eye off Israel-Palestine crisis

Concerns that the UK Foreign Office has neglected the Israel-Palestine conflict in its tilt to the Indo-Pacific and the pursuit of trade deals across the Middle East is to be investigated by the foreign affairs select committee.

Alicia Kearns, the chair of the committee, which will start holding evidence sessions on the issue in November, has been one of the most prominent MPs warning that a crisis was brewing that required greater attention and a more robust approach from the UK towards Israel’s new government.

Critics argue that the UK government, along with others, missed the danger signals and invested in an unconditional and one-sided relationship with Israel that did not acknowledge how different the government elected in November was to its predecessors.

Kearns said it was ridiculous – and symbolic – when the Foreign Office abolished the now-restored post of Middle East minister in 2022. “There is a chance that we might be seeing a third intifada and the Gaza crisis of 2003. We should be worried, because what happens in Palestine and Israel impacts around the world,” she told MPs in July as she called for Rishi Sunak to appoint a Middle East peace envoy following an Israeli raid on the Jenin refugee camp in the occupied West Bank. “I stress that this low-commitment ask would allow us to live up to our responsibilities and demonstrate meaningful resolve. Our voice is unique and will be heard, and we have a role to play in the peace process.”

In an evidence session in March with the Foreign Office’s permanent secretary, Sir Philip Barton, she asked: “Do you think we have the right posture towards Israel? I, for my part, feel that we have failed to be a critical friend. We have a very close and important security friendship but we have yet to adopt that critical one”, adding that she found the agenda of Benjamin Netanyahu’s government concerning.

“If I am honest, it feels increasingly to me that the reason we are silent around the Middle East is because there is no Instagram diplomacy to be won. There are no easy wins,” she said.

Concerns that the UK Foreign Office has neglected the Israel-Palestine conflict in its tilt to the Indo-Pacific and the pursuit of trade deals across the Middle East is to be investigated by the foreign affairs select committee.

Alicia Kearns, the chair of the committee, which will start holding evidence sessions on the issue in November, has been one of the most prominent MPs warning that a crisis was brewing that required greater attention and a more robust approach from the UK towards Israel’s new government.

Critics argue that the UK government, along with others, missed the danger signals and invested in an unconditional and one-sided relationship with Israel that did not acknowledge how different the government elected in November was to its predecessors.

Kearns said it was ridiculous – and symbolic – when the Foreign Office abolished the now-restored post of Middle East minister in 2022. “There is a chance that we might be seeing a third intifada and the Gaza crisis of 2003. We should be worried, because what happens in Palestine and Israel impacts around the world,” she told MPs in July as she called for Rishi Sunak to appoint a Middle East peace envoy following an Israeli raid on the Jenin refugee camp in the occupied West Bank. “I stress that this low-commitment ask would allow us to live up to our responsibilities and demonstrate meaningful resolve. Our voice is unique and will be heard, and we have a role to play in the peace process.”

In an evidence session in March with the Foreign Office’s permanent secretary, Sir Philip Barton, she asked: “Do you think we have the right posture towards Israel? I, for my part, feel that we have failed to be a critical friend. We have a very close and important security friendship but we have yet to adopt that critical one”, adding that she found the agenda of Benjamin Netanyahu’s government concerning.

“If I am honest, it feels increasingly to me that the reason we are silent around the Middle East is because there is no Instagram diplomacy to be won. There are no easy wins,” she said.

One former UK ambassador argues Cleverly’s visit to Israel in September was a missed chance to criticise illegal settlements, and the threat they pose to the survival of two-state solution. In a long speech on 12 September to a counter-terrorism conference in Herzliya, Israel, Cleverly did made a clear call for both sides to make a commitment to a two-state solution, but then referenced the “so many wonderful, positive developments in this region” by which he meant normalisation between Arab states and Israel.

Faced with the reality of ever more illegal settlements, he provided £1.5m to help the victims of settler violence and in his speech said he commended “Israel’s taking of legal action against those settlers who have perpetrated violence”. One former diplomat said: “Charitably, one can say he was encouraging those in Netanyahu’s government that want to prosecute settler violence, but to say it is happening is pure wish fulfilment.” In June, Netanyahu had given control of settlement planning in the West Bank to the firebrand finance minister, Bezalel Smotrich.

“It is very hard to find a front rank Tory politician that is willing to criticise Israel about anything,” said Chris Doyle, from the Council for Arab-British Understanding. “The government acts as if Israel is in favour of a two-state solution, but the Israeli government coalition formally opposes it. Ministers never call them out on this.”

Arab diplomats in London say they feel excluded from the Foreign Office, saying normalisation with Israel was too often seen by UK ministers as an alternative, not an adjunct, to the Palestinian issue. Onesaid: “The UK is giving Israel a licence to kill.”

Some feel also the government is playing domestic politics with the issue, trying to create fractures inside the Labour party rather than working out what is the best position to adopt peace. “If Rishi Sunak had called for an end to the siege, I am pretty sure Keir Starmer could as well.” But none are suggesting the planned Gulf-UK free trade deal is in jeopardy.

Calls are still being made for Sunak to signal new energy on the Palestinian issue by appointing either Lord Hague, a former foreign secretary, or Alistair Burt, a respected former Middle East minister, as special envoy. Hague, busy elsewhere, is unlikely to want the job while Burt, a pro-European, would be a hard sell in today’s Tory party.

Those who know Cleverly well say he is deeply horrified by the loss of life, but shares Israel’s desire to see Hamas politically destroyed so it cannot regroup to repeat its barbarity. He has already commissioned work on the “day after” administration in Gaza and is deeply engaged diplomatically.

If he is rushing to catch up, he is not alone among European leaders. But the inquiry may prove uncomfortable if the Foreign Office is asked to show how Britain’s declared proximity to Israel was used to secure peace, and not just profit.

THE GUARDIAN​

Has he said anything positive about the Muslim community during his term as PM?
George Bush Jr also said that Islam is a religion of peace. But Muslims hated him to the core.

Praising Islam or Muslims means nothing when it comes to elections.

Majority of Muslims wouldn't vote Tory anyway, and the type of Muslims that would vote for Rishi in the first place will not change because of this.

I know a lot of Muslims that won't be voting Labour now either.

The leader of Burnley Council and 10 other councilors have resigned from the Labour Party over Sir Keir Starmer's decision not to push for a ceasefire in Gaza

Sky News​

Imran Hussain resigns as shadow minister over Starmer's position on Israel-Hamas ceasefire.

Skynews

Rishi Sunak said he will hold the chief of the Metropolitan Police "accountable" for allowing a pro-Palestinian demonstration to go ahead on Armistice Day.

The prime minister will meet Sir Mark Rowley to discuss the issue later on Wednesday.

It comes a day after Sir Mark resisted pressure heaped on the force by politicians to try to block the protest calling for a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip in London on Saturday.

Speaking during a visit to a school in Lincolnshire on Wednesday, the prime minister said: "This is a decision that the Metropolitan Police commissioner has made.

"He has said that he can ensure that we safeguard remembrance for the country this weekend as well as keep the public safe.

"Now, my job is to hold him accountable for that."

Sir Mark said the demonstration on 11 November would go ahead because the "legal threshold" to stop it on security grounds "had not been met".

The commissioner said people "should be very reassured that we're going to keep this away from the remembrance and armistice events" but that legally, there was "no mechanism to ban a gathering, a static protest".

Mr Sunak said the meeting will discuss how police will ensure the protesters will be kept aware from Remembrance Day events.

He added: "More broadly, my view is that these marches are disrespectful and that's what I'll be discussing with the Police Commissioner later today."

Mr Sunak has previously branded the planned march as "provocative and disrespectful" and said it shouldn't be allowed.

He wrote to Sir Mark last week and said there was "a clear and present risk" that memorials such as the Cenotaph "could be desecrated".

The meeting comes as police guard the Rochdale Cenotaph in Greater Manchester after three incidents this week.

The prime minister called the vandalism of war memorials "absolutely sickening".

"This weekend will be about the country coming together to pay tribute and recognise the sacrifice of so many over so many years," he said.

"That's what I'll be doing. I think that's what the vast majority of this country will be doing this weekend, marking that moment with the dignity and respect that it deserves."

Organisers have said the protest in London on Saturday will be "well away" from the Cenotaph in Whitehall, instead going from Hyde Park to the US embassy, and that it won't start until after the 11am silence to remember people who died in wars.

The Met had urged them to "urgently reconsider" the event because of a growing risk of violence, but the pro-Palestinian coalition behind it have refused to call it off.

Police can ask the home secretary to approve a ban under the Public Order Act if they believe there will be serious public disorder, serious criminal damage, or serious disruption to the community.

But Sir Mark said use of this power is "incredibly rare" and must be reserved for cases where there is intelligence to suggest a "real threat" of trouble.

The Met chief admitted concern about "splinter groups" and "troublemakers" but said arrests at previous protests were small considering the tens of thousands attending.

"If over the next few days the intelligence evolves, and we reach a threshold where there is a real threat of serious disorder we will approach the home secretary," he added.

Source: Sky News

Having said that Rishi will not win the next elections but that has nothing to do with his support to Israel. He won't win simply bcoz of the color of his skin. Anyone that lives or lived in Britain would know racism still runs ripe here and majority wants a white person as their leader. There is a reason a comical wrong like Liz Truss was also preferred over him.

London has now more non-whites and that is why Sadiq Khan is still the mayor. Let people outside London to vote for the mayor election in the capital, Khan will lose by a landslide margin just like Rishi would in next election.

All of this has nothing to do with Israel though. Rishi or no Rishi, Westminster will always stand with Israel. If Winston Churchil was alive or Tony Blair was still the PM, they would probably send British Army by now to fight in Gaza.
Sunak not winning the elections has nothing to do with the color of his skin. He will not win the elections because he has looted the country as the chancellor (VIP lane) and as the PM. Him and his Tory bretheren have destroyed the country in the last 14 year, leaving the people poorer and the institutions such NHS broken.

Sometimes its good to look within rather than blaming everything on racism.

Sunak not winning the elections has nothing to do with the color of his skin. He will not win the elections because he has looted the country as the chancellor (VIP lane) and as the PM. Him and his Tory bretheren have destroyed the country in the last 14 year, leaving the people poorer and the institutions such NHS broken.

Sometimes its good to look within rather than blaming everything on racism.

No point pretending otherwise, Since we are all speaking as anonymous here in an internet forum, lets not be diplomatic and talk openly. I mean the only qualification Lizzy Truss had was she was a blonde and it got her the job as PM before Brown skinned Sunak.

Rishi got the job at a time when country was going through economic turmoil. Everyone expected he will run away in couple of weeks as well like his preedecessor. But credit to him for not only sticking to the job and ride that tide but bringing the economy to a much stable state. He has taken every step that British public wants - control inflation, stop boats crossing Dover, control immigration, condemn Hammas, Stand with Ukraine etc etc. If a white person had done any of those...he would be the darling of the public by now. But people still not able to accept him only bcoz of his skin color. And this is not restricted to Rishi Sunak alone, any brown or black person would face such issue. As I mentioned previously, the most hated politician in Britain is Sadiq Khan and the only reason he is still Mayor of London is bcoz London has more outsiders than white people. Let entire UK vote for Mayor of capital election, Sadiq will lose by a massive margin as well.

BTW, I am not blaming anyone.

Majority of Muslims wouldn't vote Tory anyway, and the type of Muslims that would vote for Rishi in the first place will not change because of this.

I know a lot of Muslims that won't be voting Labour now either.
It's not going to swing a general election. I understand the predicament of local leaders in Muslim boroughs, hence the anger and resignations within pockets of Labour.

The Palestine support is loud but most of the immigrant population who are out on the streets do not have voting rights. Leaving that aside approximate 4% Muslim (6.5% overall) adult population do not vote in unison. This is precisely why both Conservative and Labour leadership have little sympathy for the Palestine suffering. On the other hand anti Russia sentiment is very strong among the UK populace especially senior citizens, thus political leadership on both sides of the spectrum have great sympathy towards Ukraine.

Forget others,

Read in disgust your Muslim MPs who voted in favour of bombing Gaza.

Source is:

Afzal Khan - Gorton - Manchester
Yasmin Qureshi - Bolton South East
Naz Shah - Bradford West
Tulip Siddique - Hampstead & Kilburn
Nadhim Zahawi - Stratford on Avon
Shabana Mahmood - Birmingham Ladywood
Sajid Javid - Bromsgrove
Dr Rupa Huq - Ealing Central & Acton
Saqib Bhatti - Meriden
Dr Rosena Alin- Khan - Tooting
Rushanara Ali - Bethnal Green

Forget others,

Source is:

Naz Shah - Bradford West
Sajid Javid - Bromsgrove
Saqib Bhatti - Meriden
Sajid Javed is a self confessed Kaffir and Zahawi is Christian.

It's not going to swing a general election. I understand the predicament of local leaders in Muslim boroughs, hence the anger and resignations within pockets of Labour.

The Palestine support is loud but most of the immigrant population who are out on the streets do not have voting rights. Leaving that aside approximate 4% Muslim (6.5% overall) adult population do not vote in unison. This is precisely why both Conservative and Labour leadership have little sympathy for the Palestine suffering. On the other hand anti Russia sentiment is very strong among the UK populace especially senior citizens, thus political leadership on both sides of the spectrum have great sympathy towards Ukraine.
Can actually give facts as to who out of the migrants doesn't have voting rights.

Forget others,

Source is:

Naz Shah - Bradford West
Sajid Javid - Bromsgrove
Saqib Bhatti - Meriden
This is horrifying

Forget others,

Source is:

Naz Shah - Bradford West
Sajid Javid - Bromsgrove
Saqib Bhatti - Meriden

Toothless and utterly disgusting

Nevermind UK muslims, nobody here in the UK likes Sunak
Precisely, it has nothing to do with religion or Palestine. Even before 7th October the resentment towards the current government and PM were growing. 14 years of conservative governance has ruined the UK and pegged it back by a couple of decades.

Nevermind UK muslims, nobody here in the UK likes Sunak

Agreed. He is seen as a toadying lickspittle who will say whatever he thinks is popular opinion of the day and change his mind the next if he thinks the vote has swung the other way.

BREAKING: Yasmin Qureshi, who was Labour's shadow minister for women and equalities, has resigned her post in order to vote for a ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war.

What a clown this man is. The UK's highest court has stated the Tory Rwanada policy is illegal, yet he is ranting on he will go ahead. Not to mention his thirst to see genocide in Gaza.

UK MPs Vote to Reject Call for 'Immediate Cease-Fire' in Gaza Strip
A vote on a Gaza ceasefire was defeated by 125 votes to 293

The majority of Muslims would surely want him to use his influence in stopping the fight as a lot of Muslims are suffering in Gaza including many children. If Rishi Sunak continues to support Isreal in this fight then he is surely going to lose the majority of the Muslim vote bank.

The majority of Muslims would surely want him to use his influence in stopping the fight as a lot of Muslims are suffering in Gaza including many children. If Rishi Sunak continues to support Isreal in this fight then he is surely going to lose the majority of the Muslim vote bank.
Considering the mess the country is in, do you think supporting Palestine is going to save him or the conservatives, for voters who're muslim or otherwise?! Inflation, cost of living crisis, mini budget, political infighting, corruption, sex/abuse/bullying scandals, non Dom tax loophole, partygate......... is it just the Israel support that's really bothering you, if you don't mind me asking?!

Which UK minister is ever liked? Bunch of clowns you make money and decisions and move on.

What decisions has Sunak ever made other than to appoint British Indian females to make him look even more helpless in his fight to make his mind up?

This is very shameful.

That means 293 want this genocide to continue.

The politicians in the west are basically actors. They are either paid or they are compromised. Epstein was a Mossad agent, he sent back damaging evidence to Mossad. Any attempt to not support Israeli crimes would result in them being exposed. A few others who simply want to put their careers before wanting to stop a genocide.

I think this is the final and conclusive proof the west is not a democracy and more proof the west along with Israel are the worst terrorists in human history.

Sadly for the world and also for the people in the west, such evil will one day come for you too. When the west becomes bankrupt, its not a place where one would want to be.

The politicians in the west are basically actors. They are either paid or they are compromised. Epstein was a Mossad agent, he sent back damaging evidence to Mossad. Any attempt to not support Israeli crimes would result in them being exposed. A few others who simply want to put their careers before wanting to stop a genocide.

I think this is the final and conclusive proof the west is not a democracy and more proof the west along with Israel are the worst terrorists in human history.

Sadly for the world and also for the people in the west, such evil will one day come for you too. When the west becomes bankrupt, its not a place where one would want to be.
It's unfair to blame the west, the biggest reason for Israeli arrogance in the middle east is the absolute incompetence of the Middle east and Muslim governments.

Why rely on the west for a problem they can resolve themselves? Respect to the Israelis that despite being a solitary country with a small population, they continue with the atrocities and violence unchallenged.

Palestine isn't the only crisis in the Middle east is it? Many more Muslims have been killed in Syria, Yemen, Iraq, Iran.... and the killings continue. The West continues to ignore all this violence so what makes Palestine special?

Why look to the West to police every crisis? UK has a bucket load of it's own problems let alone pass a pointless resolution that we all know will have zero implications on the lives of innocent Palestinians. UK is no USA, no one gives two hoots about what UK thinks about anything, today she's too weak to govern herself!

No disrespect, but finding solace in this sort of political posturing is what got the Muslim population nowhere.

When the Ukraine Russia conflict happened the West wasted no time in supplying Ukraine with cutting edge military hardware. Why aren't the Muslim countries supplying Palestine with arms? Did the western powers wait for Muslim nations to provide support before supporting Ukraine? Heck Pakistan supplies arms to Ukraine, why not Palestine?

Ex servicemen from many western nations volunteered to fight in Ukraine. All I see for Palestine is young boys drape their hot hatches in the Palestinian flag and drive around town playing loud music.

Before pointing fingers at the west what's needed is a thorough introspection.

We always say we are one Ummat e Musalma, but now there is deadly bloodshed in Gaza, and no one has come forward to help them.

It's unfair to blame the west, the biggest reason for Israeli arrogance in the middle east is the absolute incompetence of the Middle east and Muslim governments.

Why rely on the west for a problem they can resolve themselves? Respect to the Israelis that despite being a solitary country with a small population, they continue with the atrocities and violence unchallenged.

Palestine isn't the only crisis in the Middle east is it? Many more Muslims have been killed in Syria, Yemen, Iraq, Iran.... and the killings continue. The West continues to ignore all this violence so what makes Palestine special?

Why look to the West to police every crisis? UK has a bucket load of it's own problems let alone pass a pointless resolution that we all know will have zero implications on the lives of innocent Palestinians. UK is no USA, no one gives two hoots about what UK thinks about anything, today she's too weak to govern herself!

No disrespect, but finding solace in this sort of political posturing is what got the Muslim population nowhere.

When the Ukraine Russia conflict happened the West wasted no time in supplying Ukraine with cutting edge military hardware. Why aren't the Muslim countries supplying Palestine with arms? Did the western powers wait for Muslim nations to provide support before supporting Ukraine? Heck Pakistan supplies arms to Ukraine, why not Palestine?

Ex servicemen from many western nations volunteered to fight in Ukraine. All I see for Palestine is young boys drape their hot hatches in the Palestinian flag and drive around town playing loud music.

Introspection wouldn't really tell you much. Even the richest Muslim countries are beholden to western technical expertise, they are reliant on importing their own weapons from Europe and USA. If you rely on your adversaries you can hardly do much more than pay lip service to Palestine, which is what the middle eastern leaders are doing.

Iran and Turkey are probably the only Muslim nations who have some technical expertise, and they are being watched very carefully on how they proceed as a result.

Can Muslims simply not vote in the next election?

Register their protest by not voting at all.

1. After WW1 and WW2 the Muslim world was carved up, dictators installed and controlled. There is no independent Muslim world barring a few nations.

2. Respect to the Israelis? They are an occupying terrorist state. I dont think you'd be respecting them if their holy book gave your home address and you and your family were forced out into a refugee camp.

3. Syria, Iraq were destroyed by the west and dont forget Libya. Yemen was attacked with western bombs by Saudis, a puppet regime of the west. Nobody has attacked Iran and wont, as Iran would destroy Israel while getting destroyed themselves.

UK openly moving arms to support Israel during Gaza attacks from their base in Cyprus!

Need an another oil embargo, but the arabs led by the shameless Saudis are too impotent to do anything.

Back