Wimbledon 2018

Arham_PakFan

ODI Debutant
Runs
Summer is officially here, which means the start of Wimbledon, tennis’ most prestigious event of the year, is just around the corner.

Wimbledon 2018 will be held from Monday, July 2, to Sunday, July 15, at the All England Club in South West London. The first round of play will begin on the 2nd at 11:30 a.m. BST on the outside courts and 1 p.m. on the main show courts: Centre Court and No. 1 Court. The women’s singles final will take place on the second-to-last day, Saturday, July 14, followed by the men’s singles final on the 15th.

Wimbledon is not only the oldest tennis tournament in the world, but also, along with the Australian Open, French Open and U.S. Open, one of the four Grand Slam tennis tournaments. It is the only major still played on grass.

Here’s everything you need to know—from the Wimbledon schedule to the deal with Wimbledon prize money—about The Championships, Wimbledon.

Where does the action go down?

Wimbledon 2018, just as the tournament has since 1877, will take place at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, London.

Matches with star appeal—a.k.a. those involving top-seeded players or local favorites—generally take place on the club’s two main show courts, Centre Court and No.1 Court, with the finals and semifinals of main events like men’s and women’s singles always reserved for Centre Court. But don’t be fooled, there’s still plenty of action to catch on the club’s remaining 17 courts.

Unfortunately, there were a number of player complaints last year about the condition of the Wimbledon courts, with Britain’s number one seed Andy Murray describing the playing surface of Centre Court as “not as good as previous years.”

The Wimbledon scheduling committee has also previously come under fire for assigning higher-profile courts to men’s matches rather than women’s.

Who is playing at Wimbledon 2018?

There’s going to be plenty of top tennis talent to keep an eye out for at Wimbledon 2018. In addition to last year’s women’s and men’s champions, Garbiñe Muguruza and Roger Federer, star players like Serena and Venus Williams, Rafael Nadal, Caroline Wozniacki, Novak Djokovic and Simona Halep are all expected to compete in the tournament.

Serena recently pulled out of the French Open ahead of a highly-anticipated fourth-round match against Maria Sharapova due to a chest injury. However, as a seven-time Wimbledon champion, she is still considered a favorite to take home the coveted Wimbledon trophy.

The official draw and seeding for Wimbledon 2018 will be determined on June 29.

Prize money

The All England Club will award a total of £34 million (about $45.1 million) in prize money to competitors at Wimbledon 2018, with the men’s and women’s singles champions each receiving £2.25 million ( about $2.3 million). This is a 7.6 percent increase on the amount of prize money awarded at last year’s Wimbledon Championships.

The club has also introduced a new “50:50” rule in an attempt to prevent injury withdrawals in the first round of the men’s and women’s singles events. Players can now claim half of their first-round prize money if they withdraw on site by the Thursday before the start of the main draw, with the remaining half going to their replacement. However, if a player competes in the first round and “retires or performs below professional standards,” they may be subject to a fine equal to the sum they received as prize money.

http://time.com/5303537/wimbledon-2018-details/

Two-time champion Andy Murray has withdrawn from Wimbledon on the eve of the tournament with a "heavy heart".

The 31-year-old Briton said it was "too soon" to play five-set matches after his comeback from hip surgery.

Murray returned at Queen's last month after almost a year out, losing to Nick Kyrgios, then played at Eastbourne, where he was beaten by Kyle Edmund.

In a statement, the Scot said he was "looking forward" to the US hard-court season, which starts in August.

Murray, who won Wimbledon in 2013 and 2016, had been drawn against Frenchman Benoit Paire in the first round of the Championships, which start on Monday.

The former world number one said he had made "significant progress" over the past 10 days and did "everything he could" to be ready.

"It is with a heavy heart that I'm announcing that I'll be withdrawing from Wimbledon this year," the three-time Grand Slam champion said.

"We've decided that playing best-of-five-set matches might be a bit too soon in the recovery process.

"I will start practising on the hard courts from tomorrow and continuing with my rehab and recovery and I'm looking forward to the US hard-court season."

This will be the first time since 2007, when he withdrew with a wrist injury, that Murray, who is now world number 156, has not played at the All England Club.

Lucky loser Jason Jung from Chinese Taipei will replace him in the draw.

Read the full article at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/44675401

Round of 128 begins today and with Andy Murray already pulled out, it seems like a Federer, Djokovic and Nadal tournament again.

Paris - Spain's Rafael Nadal retained the top spot in the men's ATP rankings in front of his old rival Roger Federer as Wimbledon kicks-off on Monday.

However eight-time champion Federer is the favourite to win the tournament, which would see him oust Nadal for the World No 1 position.

German fourth seed Alexander Zverev, who has yet to get past the last 16 at the tournament, is in third position.

ATP rankings as of July 2:

1. Rafael Nadal (ESP) 8 770 pts

2. Roger Federer (SUI) 8 720

3. Alexander Zverev (GER) 5 755

4. Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG) 5 080

5. Marin Cilic (CRO) 5 060

6. Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) 4 780

7. Dominic Thiem (AUT) 3 835

8. Kevin Anderson (RSA) 3 635

9. David Goffin (BEL) 3 110

10. John Isner (USA) 3 045

11. Diego Schwartzman (ARG) 2 435

12. Pablo Carreno (ESP) 2 145

13. Sam Querrey (USA) 2 130

14. Roberto Bautista (ESP) 2 120

15. Jack Sock (USA) 2 110

16. Fabio Fognini (ITA) 2 030

17. Kyle Edmund (GBR) 1 950 (+1)

18. Nick Kyrgios (AUS) 1 855 (+1)

19. Lucas Pouille (FRA) 1 835 (+1)

20. Borna Coric (CRO) 1 745 (+1)

https://m.sport24.co.za/Tennis/Wimbledon/nadal-holds-onto-top-spot-ahead-of-wimbledon-20180702

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">First set: Federer ✅ <br><br>He takes it 6-1 against Lajovic - it took just 20 minutes &#55357;&#56883;<br><br>Live <a href="https://twitter.com/BBCRedButton?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@BBCRedButton</a> &#55357;&#56393; <a href="https://t.co/HJWThbVrZl">https://t.co/HJWThbVrZl</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Wimbledon?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Wimbledon</a> <a href="https://t.co/rrzhPVLzfX">pic.twitter.com/rrzhPVLzfX</a></p>— BBC Tennis (@bbctennis) <a href="https://twitter.com/bbctennis/status/1013762047094546432?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 2, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wimbledon 2018: Sloane Stephens knocked out by Donna Vekic

US Open champion Sloane Stephens became the biggest casualty on the opening day of the Wimbledon women's singles as she lost to world number 55 Donna Vekic.

The fourth-seeded American, who was beaten by Simona Halep in last month's French Open final, looked out of sorts as she fell to a 6-1 6-3 defeat.

Her Croat opponent came out strongly and looked more confident throughout with her big-hitting causing problems.

There were also wins for Caroline Wozniacki and Venus Williams.

Australian Open champion Wozniacki, the second seed, needed 59 minutes to beat American Varvara Lepchenko 6-0 6-3.

Five-time winner Williams, who was beaten by Garbine Muguruza in last year's final, made a slow start before beating Sweden's Johanna Larsson in three sets.

Larsson, who had never won in her seven previous Wimbledon visits, won the opening set on a tie-break.

But Williams, 38, grew in confidence to win 6-7 (3-7) 6-2 6-1.

Vekic's victory is her first over a top-five player and comes after first-round exits to Williams and Johanna Konta in the past two years.

"I always try to be aggressive," she told BBC Sport.

"I struggled with my serve in the wind but hopefully I can improve.

"I played all the tournaments on grass coming here and that has helped me."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/44685482

Serena Williams battled blustery conditions to reach the Wimbledon second round with a 7-5 6-3 victory over Dutchwoman Arantxa Rus.

Seven-time champion Williams, the 25th seed after having a baby in September, did not have it all her own way against the left-hander's formidable forehand.

After winning the first set when Rus sent a forehand long, she had to fight back from a break down in the second.

Williams faces Tereza Smitkova or Viktoriya Tomova next.

A straight-set win in the first round at Wimbledon is nothing new for Williams, but in playing her first match here since 2016 she said she was still finding her bearings on grass.

Now addressed by the umpire as "Mrs Williams", the rustiness in her game showed when she left the crowd laughing as she tried and failed to pat the ball off the ground and on to her racquet before a serve.

In gusty conditions on Court One, where the players' towels blew off the chair and serve tosses were repeated, Williams needed six match points to seal victory.

"She played unbelievably today - that's the game, you've got to be ready for anything," Williams said. "I'm happy to get through that, I didn't play my best but I will get there."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/44681574

Wimbledon Day 1 Updates

Ask and you shall receive
He kept that one quiet, relatively. Defending champion Roger Federer confirmed rumours of a new clothing sponsor the moment footage of him waiting to walk onto Centre Court was beamed to screens on Monday. Pocketing a cool £220 million over 10 years for the new deal that should just about see him through to retirement. When one young fan carefully wrote out her courtside poster in her neatest block letters asking “Roger, can I have your headband pleeeeeease?” little did she realise a) the Swiss great would grant her wish or b) that her keepsake would have added significance as Federer’s first headband worn under the new kit label. “You know what that means?” the post-match interviewer posed. “You’ll have them asking for all sorts of things now.” “They want a watch, a car, a racket, they can have it all at this point,” Federer replied. Form an orderly queue.

Big-name ladies' seeds tumble

It took her 17 years to land a first tour title earlier this month in Mallorca. But on Monday, Tatjana Maria proved that run on the grass was no anomaly as she carried her momentum to an upset of No.5 seed Elina Svitolina on No.2 Court. Svitolina had not lost to a player ranked outside the top 50 in 2018 but against the chip-and-charging, net-rushing tactics of the 30-year-old world No.57 she was brought undone 7-6(3), 4-6, 6-1. It was the second major boilover on Day 1 in the women’s draw with US Open champion and No.4 seed Sloane Stephens continuing her all-or-nothing run in the Grand Slams with an opening defeat to world No.55 Donna Vekic. Stephens’ five results on the slam stages since her return from foot surgery reads: 1R, W, 1R, RU, 1R. On that trend, she can at least expect to reach the final in her US Open title defence.

Keeping a cool head

With a flush header to make even England’s World Cup goal-scorer John Stones envious, a centre linesman has emerged with one of the unlikely hot shots on Day 1 of the Championships. As Greece’s Stefanos Tsitsipas was navigating his way past French qualifier Gregoire Barrere on Court 18, he sent the centre linesman ducking for cover with his serve down the T in set No.2. While the ball clocked the official square on the noggin, he managed to maintain his composure to signal the ball wide.

Azarenka wins first Grand Slam match in a year

An unseeded former world No.1 and two-time Wimbledon semi-finalist hardly qualifies as a dangerous floater. But after missing six of the past eight Grand Slams, following the birth of her son Leo, Victoria Azarenka sounded an early warning she could prove a right headache for the seeds at this year’s Championships after a straight-sets victory over Russia’s Ekaterina Alexandrova on Monday. After notching her first Grand Slam match win in a year, the Belarusian will get her chance to beat her first top-eight seed at a slam since Caroline Wozniacki at Australian Open 2015 when she meets Czech No.7 seed Karolina Pliskova next. “Yeah, draws have never been kind to me my whole career, so I didn't really expect that to change much. Maybe one day, you never know,” Azarenka grinned. “But at this time, for me, every match is going to be a challenge. It's going to be a battle. Doesn't matter what it is, who it is.”

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2018-07-02/2018-07-02_daily_diary_day_1.html

Two-time champion Petra Kvitova suffered a shock first-round defeat to Aliaksandra Sasnovich of Belarus in the women's singles at Wimbledon.

The 28-year-old eighth seed never looked comfortable against the world number 50.

Sasnovich caused her all sorts of problems in a 6-4 4-6 6-0 win.

Earlier, last year's winner Garbine Muguruza made a solid start to the defence of her title with a 6-2 7-5 win over British wildcard Naomi Broady.

The Spanish third seed is bidding to make her third Wimbledon final after also reaching the decider in 2015.

Broady, the British number four ranked 138th in the world, looked nervous initially on her Centre Court debut.

She made more of a fight of it in the second set but Muguruza was too strong.

"I'm back. It's always good, I'm thinking to win and actually enjoy this time more," Muguruza told BBC Sport.

"I'm pretty happy with my serve and controlling the emotions. To be back in a Grand Slam is always difficult, so I'm excited with the way I'm playing."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/44700022

Wimbledon Day 2 Diary

Get your mitts off

It’s the man versus the mind whenever the enigmatic Ernests Gulbis takes the court. And then there’s his opponent. The Latvian, who used to ridicule his own grass court prowess until seeing off Juan Martin del Potro en route to the third round last year, was in all sorts of bother from the outset when he was broken to love in the opening game of his match against British wild card Jay Clarke on Tuesday. Gulbis ultimately prevailed 4-6, 6-3, 7-6(3), 3-6, 6-4 on Court 18, but there was no greater talking point than that first change of ends. Frustrated at the love break, Gulbis trudged to the chair and opened the water bottle, only for Clarke to inform him he was standing at his chair. “I tried to joke, you know this panic joke, when you’re nervous and you don’t know what to do,” Gulbis said of the embarrassment. Clarke saw the funny side of it, even in defeat. “He was pretty out of it at the start of the match, I think,” Clarke said. “I don't know what he was thinking, to be honest.”

Top 10 seeds continue to crumble

Belinda Bencic continues her giant-slaying run in the first round of the Grand Slams in 2018 in her gradual climb back from injury. After dumping Venus Williams out at the first hurdle at the Australian Open in January, the 21-year-old added French No.6 seed Caroline Garcia to her list on Tuesday. It was a tough ask for Garcia facing the Wimbledon 2012 girls’ singles champion first up, a player ranked in the top 10 only two years ago. “Every time I come here, I'm excited and amazed like the first time I was here, so I hope that feeling never goes away,” Bencic said. “I don't think it ever gets old here.” Garcia joined two-time champion, No.8 seed Petra Kvitova as a first round casualty on Day 2. The men, too, lost a pair of top 10 ranked names with Roland-Garros finalist Dominic Thiem and Belgian David Goffin crashing out. Thiem retired with an apparent back injury with 2006 Wimbledon semi-finalist Marcos Baghdatis leading 6-4, 7-5, 2-0, while Australian Matt Ebden saw off No.10 seed Goffin in straight sets for his first over a top 10 opponent at a Grand Slam. Seven Australians advanced to the second round.

Brought that on yourself

One of the feel-good stories to emerge from Qualifying at Roehampton last week was that of injury-plagued Christian Harrison winning through to his second Grand Slam main draw. The younger brother of world No.59 Ryan Harrison was locked in battle at a set apiece with good friend and No.24 seed Kei Nishikori, on Court 14 in his Wimbledon main draw debut on Tuesday. Serving to stay in the third set at 5-6, however, the American – fuming at a shot he missed – smacked himself in the knee with his racket. This from a player who’d bounced back from seven surgeries already. Nevertheless, a quick call to the trainer for a medical time-out to have his knee taped and he was back in action. Nishikori ended up finishing him off 6-2, 4-6, 7-6(3), 6-2. “I see him all the time with injuries. It's kind of similar to me. More than me,” Nishikori said of facing his friend. “He's having really tough time. Happy to see him in main draw here… Hope he can keep going. I'm sure he's going to break top 100 soon.”

Mixed day for the Zverevs

After 30-year-old Mischa Zverev broke through to clinch his maiden tour title in Eastbourne at the weekend, he and Alexander Zverev became the first brothers to win a singles title in the same season since 1989. It came after Alexander had shaken that long-lingering monkey from his back to reach a Grand Slam quarter-final for the first time in Paris last month. Plenty to cheer about in the Zverev camp heading into Wimbledon. Unfortunately, on Tuesday, that would be short-lived for Mischa, beaten soundly in his opening match against fellow serve-volleying expert, Frenchman Pierre-Hugues Herbert. No such troubles for little brother, Sascha. The No.4 seed eked out a tight first set before running away with a 7-5, 6-2, 6-0 result over James Duckworth, the Aussie world No.748 making his return from foot surgery. Zverev dropped just 10 points on serve and never faced a break point. In a battle of the 1997 babies, American Taylor Fritz is up next.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2018-07-03/daily_diary_day_2.html

Wimbledon: Caroline Wozniacki the fifth top-eight women's seed to lose, beaten by Ekaterina Makarova

Caroline Wozniacki complained about the flying insects at Wimbledon, demanding that bug spray be brought to the court.

She wondered aloud whether play should be halted because of a brief drizzle.

And the number two-seeded Wozniacki was not exactly gracious in defeat after staving off five match points, but not the sixth, in what became a 6-4, 1-6, 7-5 loss to 35th-ranked Ekaterina Makarova of Russia in the second round at the All England Club on Wednesday.

The reigning Australian Open champion's latest lacklustre showing at Wimbledon made her the fifth top-eight seeded woman to exit by the end of day three.

Wozniacki said Makarova "got a little lucky" and added, "I would be very surprised if you saw her go far".

Asked what she thought of those remarks, Makarova laughed and replied:

"Well, I don't know what to say. Yeah, maybe I was lucky today. Good for me. Thanks, God."

While both Williams sisters moved into the third round, as did past US Open runners-up Madison Keys and Karolina Pliskova, among the women, and Roger Federer won 35 consecutive points on his serve while extending his Wimbledon set streak to 26 in a row, it was Wozniacki's departure that counted as the closest thing to big news on day three.

She is a former number one who recently claimed her first Grand Slam title. She won a grass-court tune-up tournament last weekend.

She had managed to convince herself this was going to be her year to shine at the All England Club, the only major where she's never been past the fourth round.

In addition to her title on the hard courts in Australia, she's twice been the runner-up on that surface at the US Open, and she's been a quarterfinalist twice on the French Open's red clay.

But a game that is principally predicated on defence can be harder to make work on the speedy grass, where Makarova produced twice as many winners on Wednesday: 46-23.

"It's frustrating," Wozniacki said, "because I feel like I could have gone and done something really great here."

Instead, it's the fourth time in the past seven years that she's out in the first or second round.

She almost put together quite a comeback, though.

After trailing 5-1 in the third set, Wozniacki broke twice when Makarova served for the match.

The second time, at 5-3, Makarova was within a point of victory four times, but was unable to convert, wasting one of those opportunities with a double-fault.

Once Wozniacki pulled even in the last set by holding at love, Makarova gave herself a bit of a talking-to.

"At 5-all, I said to myself: 'OK, calm down. Start over,'" recounted Makarova, a former top-10 player who twice has been a major semi-finalist and got to the Wimbledon quarterfinals in 2014.

From deuce in that game, she picked up six of the last seven points.

Earlier in the match, Wozniacki was buggin' out about the bugs that also showed up last year at the tournament. She insisted that something needed to be done about them.

Makarova, too, called the scene "a little bit strange and different" and "a little bit uncomfortable".

That word also described how Makarova's left-handed game made Wozniacki feel.

"I had a chance today. I fought all I had. I'm out. That's it," said Wozniacki, who actually won more total points, 94-91. "It's life sometimes. You just have to keep working and come back. And hopefully next time, luck will be on my side."

All that really matters, of course, is who wins the last point, something five-time champion Venus Williams did after a poor start for the second round in a row.

Once again, she dropped the opening set. And once again, she dominated the rest of the way, this time beating 141st-ranked qualifier Alexandra Dulgheru of Romania 4-6, 6-0, 6-1. At 38, Williams was the oldest woman in the field, but she is now into the third round a year after getting to the final.

"I mean, it's just about winning the match. And so, if that's your best or not, your best doesn't matter," Williams said, "as long as you win."

In other results, Serena Williams cruised through to the third round with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Bulgaria's Viktoriya Tomova, while seventh seed Karolina Pliskova defeated another former world number one, Victoria Azarenka, 6-3, 6-3.

American Madison Keys [10th seed] beat Thailand's Luksika Kumkhum 6-4, 6-3, Czech player Lucie Safarova beat Poland's Agnieszka Radwanska [32] 7-5, 6-4 and 20th seed Kiki Bertens beat Russian Anna Blinkova 6-4, 6-0.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-05/ants-lucky-foe-knocks-wozniacki-out-of-wimbledon/9942786

Novak Djokovic set up a potential third-round meeting with Britain's Kyle Edmund at Wimbledon with a clinical 6-1 6-2 6-3 victory over Horacio Zeballos.

The three-time champion is joined in the next round by world number one Rafael Nadal, who was made to work in a 6-4 6-3 6-4 win over Mikhail Kukushkin.

British number one Edmund faces American Bradley Klahn later on Thursday.

Nadal will play Alex de Minaur for a place in the fourth round.

While the final result goes down as a straight-sets victory, this was far from simple.

Kukushkin, who beat British number one Kyle Edmund in the Eastbourne quarter-finals last week, showed he meant business from the opening game with his powerful forehand that seemed to take both Nadal and the packed Centre Court by surprise.

When his big shot worked, it was exquisite - he made 28 winners, nine more than Nadal, with most of them on his forehand.

But his 34 unforced errors meant he never really had a chance against the 17-time Grand Slam champion.

After wrapping up the first set when the Kazakh netted a forehand, Nadal was more ruthless in the second where he lost just four points on his serve.

But Kukushkin, who is coached by his wife, just would not give up and in the third went a break up for 3-1 before dropping serve in the next game.

He eventually succumbed to the inevitable when his forehand clipped the top of the net and bounced back to his own side as the crowd got to their feet to give the players a standing ovation.

Nadal marches into the fourth round but Kukushkin goes home £63,000 better off and with a lot of new fans.

It was far more straightforward for Djokovic against world number 126 Zeballos, with the main problem for the Serb coming at the end of the seventh game of the third set when he had the trainer on for lengthy treatment on his left thigh.

Former world number one Djokovic, who has slipped to 21st in the rankings after time out with an elbow injury, delivered an impressive 15 aces and 31 winners against the Argentine.

Zeballos, who was appearing in the Wimbledon second round for the first time, had little to offer in attack and failed to convert any of his three break points.

It is the 60th match Djokovic has won at Wimbledon, taking him one ahead of John McEnroe, and continues his recent return to form since pulling out of his quarter-final here last year with an elbow problem.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/44726266

Kyle Edmund is the only Briton left in the Wimbledon singles after setting up a third-round match with three-time champion Novak Djokovic.

Edmund, 23, won 6-4 7-6 (7-0) 6-2 against qualifier Bradley Klahn on Centre Court in the second round.

The 21st-seed will play Djokovic - who beat Horacio Zeballos 6-1 6-2 6-3 - on Saturday, the same day as England's World Cup quarter-final against Sweden.

It is the first time the British number one has reached the last 32 at SW19.

"I'm really happy to get the win, it was the second time I've played on Centre Court and the first time I've won," Edmund told BBC Sport.

"Growing up as a kid I've always dreamed of playing here and to win is great."

Fellow Britons Johanna Konta and Katie Boulter lost their second-round matches earlier on Thursday.

Edmund has climbed into the upper echelons of the men's game after a fine year which has seen him reach the Australian Open semi-finals and his first ATP final in Marrakech.

He took over as the British number one for the first time earlier this year, a result of his fine form combined with Andy Murray's injury problems.

And a notable win against Djokovic in Madrid - his first against the 12-time Grand Slam champion - helped him move into the world's top 20 for the first time.

Although Edmund had only won one main-draw match at Wimbledon before this year, his new-found status meant he was pitted against two players ranked outside of the top 100 and he despatched Klahn with similar to ease to first-round opponent Alex Bolt.

The American struggled with his serve in the opening game of the match, Edmund eventually taking his sixth break point in a nine-minute opener.

That proved decisive as Edmund's strong service game - which saw Klahn win just four points - enabled him to dominate a 41-minute opening set.

The second set was tighter as Edmund missed the only two break points, leading to a tie-break in which he upped the tempo and completely controlled.

Klahn offered more resistance in the third set before Edmund took his serve for a 4-2 lead, then claimed the third of his 12 break points on his second match point.

See the full article at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/44732147

Wimbledon: Five Aussies through to round of 32 as big names continue to fall

Nick Kyrgios is through to the last 32 at Wimbledon, but not without some minor histrionics as Bernard Tomic failed to set up a blockbuster third round clash between the pair.

The 15th seed looked set to fly into the third round with a straightforward victory over Dutchman Robin Haase, rolling the world number 43 in three sets, 6-3 6-4 7-5.

However, despite the ease of his victory, Kyrgios was drawn into another typically combustible episode in south-west London.

The gremlins started to appear for Kyrgios when he was heard berating his family for not standing up during the third set.

"Why are you down? How hard is it to stand up for one game? This could be over in five minutes," he said.

Later, despite adding another 19 aces to his massive English summer tally, an agitated Kyrgios sought an explanation of the foot-fault rule from umpire James Keothavong in a bizarre interlude after repeatedly being pinged by the line judge.

Kyrgios was also warned for swearing during the final set, although the flamboyant Aussie still treated the crowd to a number of trick shots on his way to a comprehensive victory.

Victory over Nishikori could set up a fourth-round shootout with German world number three Alexander Zverev.

Later, Bernard Tomic fell valiantly short of setting up a blockbuster first-time showdown with Kyrgios on an otherwise banner day for Australia at Wimbledon.

Tomic was trying to make it six Aussies in the last 32 for the first time since 1989, only to suffer four-set despair against Japanese star Kei Nishikori.

The former world number 17 had three set points to seize a two-sets-to-one advantage, including two in a row with Nishikori serving at 4-5 and 15-40, but was unable to convert before bowing out 2-6 6-3 7-6 (9-7) 7-5 in a two-hour, 43-minute thriller on Show Court 2.

The 25-year-old's demise is the second time in a month that Australian fans have been denied a spicy first-time duel between Tomic and Kyrgios.

The one-time Davis Cup teammates had been slated to clash in the first round of the French Open, only for Kyrgios to withdraw on match eve with an elbow injury.

Kyrgios, teenage ace Alex de Minaur, in-form Matt Ebden and seeded women's stars Ashleigh Barty and Daria Gavrilova have given Australia five players in the third round for only the second time in 20 years.

Australia also had five players in the third round in 2015 — Kyrgios, Tomic, Sam Groth, Stosur and Casey Dellacqua.

But this is only the second time since Pat Rafter, Mark Philippoussis, Mark Woodforde, Jason Stoltenberg and Todd Woodbridge all made it this far in 1998 that Australia has been so well represented in the last 32 at the All England Club.

De Minaur and Ebden also progress

De Minaur and Ebden both continued their breakout grand slam showings with impressive wins over Frenchmen.

Playing the best tennis of his life, 30-year-old Ebden is also through to the third round of a major for the first time following a 6-3 7-6 (7-5) 4-6 6-1 success against veteran qualifier Stephane Robert.

Ebden plays another Frenchman next on Saturday, Gilles Simon, for a possible fourth-round tilt at Argentine fifth seed Juan Martin del Potro.

The South African-born veteran was happy to take the victory in his stride.

"I don't feel that excited. Of course I am happy (I won)", Ebden said.

"I am getting used to these situations. I know not to get too happy, too excited or too sad."

The world number 51 claimed last week that he was a serious contender for the tournament and reiterated that a two-week stay in London is the aim.

"I've prepared well to give myself the best chance to play a two-week tournament.

"There's a long. long way to go. We're still in the beginning and I'm doing the best I can each day and loving it."

Making his Wimbledon main-draw debut, 19-year-old de Minaur earned himself a dream show-court crack at world number one Rafael Nadal with a 6-2 6-7 (10-8) 7-6 6-3 win over Pierre-Hugues Herber

De Minaur is now the youngest man remaining in the main draw and is set to ensure a career-high ranking inside the top 70 whether he wins or loses against 17-time grand slam winner Nadal.

The Sydney-born teenager was unfazed about the prospect of playing the two-time champion.

"It's an experience I am really looking forward to, playing a legend like he is," de Minaur said.

"But once I get on court it is going to be just another match.

"I am going to go out there, compete, have fun and leave it all out there."

Big names continue to fall

Two more big names became early-round casualties as the seeds continued to fall in SW19.

Reigning champion and world number three Garbine Muguruza suffered a shock defeat to Belgian world number 47 Alison van Uytvanck in three sets, 5-7 6-2 6-1.

Elsewhere in the women's draw, top seed Simona Halep had to survive an early scare to progress past Saisai Zheng in straight sets.

Dominika Cibulkova — who was controversially bumped from the seeded players in favour of 23-time grand slam champion Serena Williams — accounted for British number 22 seed Johanna Konta.

Six top-eight seeds have now failed to progress past the second round in the women's draw, potentially good news for remaining Australian pair Barty and Gavrilova.

Meanwhile, in the men's competition, Marin Cilic is the latest big name to fail to progress.

The third seed was leading Argentine Guido Pella two sets to love before a rain delay prompted a massive turnaround in the contest.

The world number 82 came out firing after the delay, prevailing over last year's beaten finalist 3-6 1-6 6-4 7-6 (7-4) 7-5.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-06/five-australians-progress-at-wimbledon/9947364

Wimbledon Daily Dairy Day 4

Upset of the day

Alison van Uytvanck illuminated the gathering gloom with a stunning 5-7, 6-2, 6-1 win over champion Garbiñe Muguruza, the No.3 seed, who became the first player since Steffi Graf in 1994 to fall so early in the defence of her title. This was the biggest win of the Belgian’s career and the world No.47 was outstanding in the second and third sets against the Spanish player, who could not find an answer to the power coming over the net. It is the first time Van Uytvanck has managed back-to- back wins since February. The result eclipsed the earlier win by Argentina’s Guido Pella, who knocked out Marin Cilic, the No.3 seed and last year’s beaten finalist, 3-6, 1-6, 6-4, 7-6(3), 7-5.

Best on-court coaching of the day

Umpire James Keothavong, brother of British Fed Cup captain Anne, came down from his chair to offer Nick Kyrgios, the No.15 seed, some help on how to serve and keep his feet behind the baseline to avoid foot faults during the Australian’s impressive straight sets 6-3, 6-4, 7-5 second round win over Robin Haase, of the Netherlands. Keothavong used the tram line for his impromptu tutorial during a changeover. Kyrgios, who won a point with successive between-the-legs shots, said: “He told me at any point if your foot crosses the line, it's a foot fault. I mean, I just got too close to the T.”

Dodgy stat of the day

There has been plenty of talk at The Championships about the number of tall players firing off massive serves and Gael Monfils thought he had created a new Wimbledon record only for the 150mph delivery to be deemed the result of a fault with the technology. Now comes news of a 250mph serve delivered by Canada’s Milos Raonic in his second round win over John Millman, of Australia. That's how it appeared in an agency report that was carried on the New York Times website. Patently, if it had really been that quick – rather than a typing error – it may have featured higher in the report.

250! Leggings of the day

They belonged to American doubles specialist Jamie Cerretani who sported a pair alongside partner Romain Arneodo of Monaco, in their loss to the German team of Kevin Krawietz and Andreas Mies at a time of day when the temperature at The Championships was 28C.

Quote of the day

Impending fatherhood is turning American John Isner into Nostradamus with the big serving No.9 seed revealing after his win over Belgium’s Ruben Bemelmans just how many children he told wife Madison they are going to have. The first is due in September after the US Open and he said, "It's a girl. Yeah, we're having a baby girl. I told Madi I think we're going to have four girls. I feel it.”

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2018-07-05/daily_diary_day_4.html

Serena Williams passed her first proper test with style by beating France's Kristina Mladenovic to reach the Wimbledon fourth round.

The 23-time Grand Slam champion, on a comeback after giving birth, went a break down against the former top-10 player but won 7-5 7-6 (7-2).

While the women's seeds have been tumbling early here, Williams has advanced without dropping a set.

She faces fellow mum and world number 120 Evgeniya Rodina of Russia next.

With eight of the top 10 women's seeds now out, the road for former world number one Williams to win an eighth Wimbledon singles title is looking ever clearer.

Not that she sees it that way.

"I think a lot of the top players are losing, but they're losing to girls that are playing outstanding," she said. "I think, if anything, it shows me every moment that I can't underestimate any of these ladies. They are just going out there swinging and playing for broke."

But then so is Williams, who has showed gradual improvement over the three matches she has played here.

In her first-round victory over Arantxa Rus, the American was laboured at times in gusty conditions, while against Viktoriya Tomova she moved around the court much better and overpowered her with her winners and improved serving.

Against Mladenovic she showed she could dig herself out of difficulty if necessary - winning four games in a row when 5-3 down to take the first set.

She carried on where she left off in the second set to go an early break up before the world number 62 broke back. The Frenchwoman went on to save a match point to force a tie-break.

But Williams found a new gear in the tie-break and sealed her 17th Wimbledon win in a row with her 13th ace.

By reaching the fourth round, Williams has matched her showing at last month's French Open, which was her first Grand Slam tournament since having her daughter last September.

The 36-year-old could have gone further there but pulled out of her last-16 match with Maria Sharapova with an injury.

"Just getting to the round of 16 twice is not bad. Hopefully I can do a little bit better," she said.

"I don't have anything to lose. I have absolutely nothing to prove. Yeah, everything is a bonus. Every time I step out there, I know what I'm capable of. I know every Grand Slam, I've won them, I'm capable of just going out there and enjoying it."

As the oldest woman left in the draw, after her 38-year-old sister Venus was knocked out on Friday, Williams is still leaving the younger players like 25-year-old Mladenovic behind.

And despite her seeding of 25, and her world ranking of 181, she is looking every bit the player to beat.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/44741688

Last edited:
Top seed Simona Halep went out of Wimbledon in the third round after losing an epic three-set battle against Hsieh Su-wei.

The Taiwanese world number 48's serve was broken seven times and she saved a match point before winning 3-6 6-4 7-5 in two hours and 20 minutes.

It means Czech seventh seed Karolina Pliskova is the only top-10 player remaining in the women's singles draw.

It is the first time Hsieh, 32, has reached the last 16 of the tournament.

She will now play Dominika Cibulkova after the Slovak, who defeated Britain's Johanna Konta in the second round, beat 15th seed Elise Mertens of Belgium 6-2 6-2.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/44751675

Rafael Nadal has ensured he will keep hold of the world number one ranking by beating Alex de Minaur to reach the Wimbledon fourth round.

The Spaniard comfortably overcame the Australian teenager 6-1 6-2 6-4 on Centre Court.

The 17-time Grand Slam champion needed to reach the last 16 here to stay on top when the next rankings are released on 16 July.

He will next play 24-year-old Czech Jiri Vesely on Monday.

World number 93 Vesely beat 19th-seeded Italian Fabio Fognini 7-6 (7-4) 3-6 6-3 6-2.

Nadal, seeded second behind eight-time Wimbledon champion Roger Federer, was in command from the start against 19-year-old debutant De Minaur, the youngest player left in the draw.

The two-time champion rattled through the first set with breaks in the fourth and sixth games and then did not drop any points on his serve in the second set until the final game, when he saved two break points before holding to go two sets up.

De Minaur pushed him harder in the third and made him wait until his third match point before finally succumbing to a Nadal volley at the net.

The Spaniard had faced more of a challenge in the previous round from the powerful forehand of Mikhail Kukushkin, but De Minaur offered little resistance.

The Australian won the Nottingham grass-court event last month, but he was appearing on Centre Court for the first time and the occasion got the better of him.

The gulf in class was illustrated in the eighth game of the second set when, in the face of a lob from De Minaur, Nadal raced to the back of the court and with his back to the net hit the ball between his legs and over his opponent, who could only net his scrambled effort to get it back.

"A positive match against a player with a lot of energy, I am just happy to be in the fourth round again," Nadal said.

"I'll go and watch some football - England, it's coming home or not?"

And he was not alone as the majority of Centre Court departed straight away, with England's World Cup quarter-final against Sweden under way, leaving just a smattering of people watching the next match on court between Naomi Osaka and Angelique Kerber.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/44752025

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Three-time former champion <a href="https://twitter.com/DjokerNole?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@DjokerNole</a> steps up to beat Kyle Edmund for a place in the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Wimbledon?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Wimbledon</a> fourth round against <a href="https://twitter.com/karenkhachanov?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@karenkhachanov</a>.<br><br>Read More ▶️: <a href="https://t.co/uNLlW5ulV4">https://t.co/uNLlW5ulV4</a> <a href="https://t.co/DtAo0NmPxK">pic.twitter.com/DtAo0NmPxK</a></p>— ATP World Tour (@ATPWorldTour) <a href="https://twitter.com/ATPWorldTour/status/1015674668798398472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 7, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

LONDON -- Rafael Nadal guaranteed he will stay No. 1 in the rankings after Wimbledon as he reached the fourth round with a 6-1, 6-2, 6-4 victory over 19-year-old Australian Alex De Minaur on Saturday.

Nadal, the No. 2 seed at the All England Club, hasn't dropped a set so far in the tournament. Against de Minaur, he faced only three break points and saved them all while producing nearly twice as many winners, 30-17.

EDITOR'S PICKSDe Minaur learns from -- and impresses -- the greats despite Wimbledon defeat to Nadal

Alex de Minaur walked out onto Centre Court for the first time Saturday unsure of what to expect. He left knowing it is exactly where he wants to be: playing the big players on big courts.

Djokovic slams partisan Wimbledon crowd

While Novak Djokovic shrugged off a bad call by the chair umpire in his Wimbledon win over home favorite Kyle Edmund on Saturday, he wasn't happy the way some members of the crowd booed him during the match.

Del Potro turns up the heat to reach last 16

The Argentine was in irrepressible form against Benoit Paire on a trying day for those on and off court.

This is Nadal's eighth trip to the round of 16 at Wimbledon, where he has won two of his 17 Grand Slam titles. A year ago, the Spaniard lost at that stage.

He and Roger Federer, who is No. 2 in the world but the top seed here, have swapped the No. 1 ranking a half-dozen times this season, the most since there were eight changes in 1999.

"Of course, I prefer to be No. 1 than No. 2, no doubt about this," Nadal said. "I really don't come here to hold No. 1. I just came here to try to do the best tournament possible. ... The most important thing for me is be healthy, be happy playing tennis. Both things are very close."

Asked whom he would prefer to face if he reached the final, Nadal said he'd prefer anybody but Federer.

"If I am in the final, I prefer to face an easier opponent," a smiling Nadal said. "I am not stupid."

Two-time Wimbledon champ Rafael Nadal hasn't dropped a set so far in the tournament, beating Alex De Minaur on Saturday to reach the round of 16. AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth

Ernests Gulbis of Latvia became the first male qualifier in six years to make the fourth round at Wimbledon after coming from a set down to beat fourth-seeded Alexander Zverev of Germany 7-6 (2), 4-6, 7-5, 6-3, 6-0.

Gulbis' ranking has fallen to 138th after struggling for form in the past few years, having reached No. 10 in 2014. But he looked back to his old self in defeating one of tennis' top young talents, dominating the final set on No. 1 Court.

He is the first qualifier to reach the men's fourth round since Brian Baker in 2012.

Novak Djokovic also reached the fourth round with a 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, 6-4 win over home favorite Kyle Edmund.

Djokovic didn't let a bad call on a crucial point get the better of him. He was robbed of a break at 3-3 in the fourth set when the ball bounced twice before Edmund managed to return it over the net at 15-40. Djokovic complained to the chair umpire, but the call stood -- even though TV replays showed Edmund's shot actually landed wide.

Edmund ended up holding serve, but Djokovic broke at his next opportunity to make sure there will be no British players in the second week of the tournament.

Edmund was the top British man in the draw in Andy Murray's absence and beat Djokovic on clay in Madrid this year. But his exit means all 12 British players -- four men and eight women -- have been knocked out.

This is the 44th time Djokovic has reached the fourth round at a Grand Slam, surpassing Jimmy Connors in second place.

Frances Tiafoe let a two-set lead slip as he failed to become the youngest American male since 1990 to reach the fourth round at Wimbledon.

The 20-year-old Tiafoe lost to Karen Khachanovof Russia 4-6, 4-6, 7-6 (3), 6-2, 6-1 after struggling through the last two sets. He was trying to become the youngest American in the round of 16 at the All England Club since Michael Chang 28 years ago.

Tiafoe blamed stomach problems for derailing his match. He said he started feeling badly late in the third set.

"Body just didn't feel right," Tiafoe said.

The loss "is definitely going to hurt," he added, because for the first two sets Khachanov "had no chance."

"Just felt it was completely in my hands," Tiafoe said.

As for the two last lopsided sets, Tiafoe said he "gave everything I was able to do."

"It's the third round of Wimbledon," he said. "I would never throw the match."

At 22, Khachanov is the youngest Russian in the fourth round since Mikhail Youzhny in 2002.

Fifth-seeded Juan Martin del Potro and former finalist Milos Raonic also advanced, as did Kei Nishikori.

Del Potro overcame a hot-tempered display from Benoit Paire to reach the second week at Wimbledon, winning their third-round match 6-4, 7-6 (4), 6-3.

Paire slammed his racket and shouted loudly at the chair umpire and himself after losing the second set, and his antics had del Potro shaking his head in return. The Argentine, who had crossed the net to help Paire back on his feet after a fall during the second set, still took a 3-0 lead in the third before the Frenchman fought back to level it at 3-3.

The match was then interrupted for about 10 minutes with Paire facing another break point at 4-3 while medical staff treated a spectator who had fainted in the heat. When play resumed, Paire saved that point with a service winner but was eventually broken when he netted a backhand, allowing del Potro to serve out the match.

For del Potro, it was his 87th career Grand Slam victory, breaking a tie with David Nalbandian for second most by an Argentinian-born player in the Open Era (Guillermo Vilas, 139).

Raonic reached Wimbledon's fourth round for the third consecutive year, finishing off a 7-6 (5), 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 victory over 171st-ranked qualifier Dennis Novak of Austria in a match suspended because of fading light the night before.

Play was halted with Novak about to serve while trailing 6-5 in the third set, and Raonic got off to a perfect start when they resumed Saturday by breaking to take that set.

The 13th-seeded Canadian was the runner-up at the All England Club in 2016, losing to Andy Murray in the final. Raonic lost to eventual champion Roger Federer in last year's quarterfinals.

On Monday, Raonic will face 103rd-ranked Mackenzie McDonald of the United States for a quarterfinal berth.

Nishikori equaled his best Wimbledon performance as he advanced to the fourth round by beating Nick Kyrgios 6-1, 7-6 (3), 6-4.

The 24th-seeded Nishikori of Japan won the first set in 16 minutes before seeing off an improved performance from his Australian opponent for the remainder of the match.

The 2014 US Open runner-up, Nishikori has twice previously made it through to the last 16 at the All England Club. He was defeated by Raonic in 2014 and retired hurt during the second set against Marin Cilic in 2016. He next faces Gulbis.

Nishikori and the 15th-seeded Kyrgios, a former Wimbledon quarterfinalist, began their match on No. 1 Court only after 7 p.m. local time, meaning light was fading toward the end of the 1½-hour match.

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/24028071/wimbledon-2018-rafael-nadal-advances-fourth-round

Week one provides host of upsets

The upsets came in spades during week one at Wimbledon, especially in the ladies' singles, where only one top-10 seed – Karolina Pliskova – made it to the fourth round.

Here’s a look at the five biggest shocks we’ve witnessed so far in the first week at SW19.

Guido Pella beats Marin Cilic [3] 3-6, 1-6, 6-4, 7-6(3), 7-5 in the second round

Marin Cilic was one of the top contenders for the Wimbledon title and had reached the quarter-finals or better on each of his last five visits to the All England Club, including a runner-up showing last year.

The Croatian No.3 seed looked on his way to a comfortable second round victory when he went up two sets to love against Argentina’s Guido Pella, who had never won a match here prior to his opening round victory this week.

Rain suspended play with Pella leading by a break, 4-3 in the third set. And when the match resumed the following day, the world No.82 swung the momentum his way, benefitting from a total of 63 unforced errors off the Cilic racket to score arguably the biggest shock of The Championships.

Alison van Uytvanck beats Garbine Muguruza [3] 5-7, 6-2, 6-1 in the second round

Facing the defending champion in the second round, Alison van Uytvanck entered her clash against Garbiñe Muguruza having won just two previous matches at Wimbledon in her entire career (her first round in 2014 and her first round in 2018). Muguruza, on the other hand, was crowned champion at the All England Club last season, reached the final in 2015, and had a 16-4 win-loss record at The Championships going into the match.

The Spaniard had won their only previous meeting on the Tour – which came on hard courts – and was seeded No.3 this Fortnight. Van Uytvanck is ranked No.47 in the world and had a record of 0-6 against top-10 opposition prior to this match, 1-15 against top-20 players.

But all the stats and figures were deemed irrelevant once Van Uytvanck found her groove against Muguruza. After squandering a 4-2 lead over the two-time Grand Slam champion in the opening set, Van Uytvanck responded well in the second, and pulled off the upset in under two hours.

Aliaksandra Sasnovich over Petra Kvitova [8] 6-4, 4-6, 6-0 in the first round

Belarusian Aliaksandra Sasnovich had only ever won two matches at Wimbledon heading into her first round. Her opponent, Czech Republic’s Petra Kvitova, is a two-time Wimbledon champion, seeded No.8, and was one of the top favourites for the title. Kvitova warmed up for the tournament by winning the trophy in Birmingham – her fifth crown of the year. But Sasnovich ended her campaign early, and Kvitova later admitted she perhaps wanted the win “too much”. It was Kvitova’s first opening round defeat at Wimbledon since 2009.

Vitalia Diatchenko over Maria Sharapova [24] 6-7(3), 7-6(3), 6-4 in the first round

This all-Russian affair was a tight battle that lasted three hours and eight minutes and saw former champion Maria Sharapova exit Wimbledon in the first round. Qualifier Diatchenko, ranked No.132 in the world, had only ever won two main draw matches at the Grand Slams in her entire career, both came at the French Open. Plagued by injuries, the 27-year-old came back from a set and 2-5 down in the second, and twice broke back in the decider to defeat five-time Grand Slam winner Sharapova and reach the second round at Wimbledon for the first time.

Hsieh Su-Wei over Simona Halep [1] 3-6, 6-4, 7-5 in the third round

A first-round loser on her most recent two visits to Wimbledon, Hsieh reached the fourth round for the first time here by upsetting world No.1 and freshly-crowned French Open champion Simona Halep in the third round. Halep was 1-0 head-to-head against Hsieh entering the match, and was one of just two remaining top-10 players still alive in the draw. Hsieh saved match point en route to the two-hour 20-minute victory and dropped serve seven times.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2018-07-08/week_one_provides_host_of_upsets.html

Wimbledon Preview Day 7

Old and new

Sixteen compelling duels and 32 top players in the furnace of Grand Slam action. All on one glorious afternoon amid a Championships that’s already been blessed with sunshine and sensations. Just another Manic Monday at Wimbledon then?

Well, not quite. We all know by now that fourth round day here is like no other tennis delicacy. Every player left in the singles draw - and they have 76 Grand Slam titles between them - is on parade. Yet while, as usual, the truffles are scattered all over the lawns, this year plenty carry an unexpectedly different, if still delightful, flavour.

Of course, there’s the usual comforting familiarity of the four great champions still standing - Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams - but there’s also a ladies’ last 16 now featuring nine unseeded dreamers, half-a-dozen of whom are in uncharted territory, with No.7 seed Karolina Pliskova (pictured above) the only one left of the top 10.

“Anyone can win this,” shrugged No.1 seed Simona Halep, after being run ragged and bamboozled by everyone’s new favourite smiley, giant-slayer Su-Wei Hsieh, the 32-year-old from Chinese Taipei who just giggles about her own unfathomable game. Her next trick will be to try to tie the ferocious Dominika Cibulkova in knots on Court 18.

That match guarantees one unseeded quarter-finalist while Ekaterina Makarova’s contest with Italian Camila Giorgi on Court 12 ensures another - and you can imagine the satisfaction of a victory for the Russian, whose second round victim Caroline Wozniacki, the No.2 seed, quite wrote off her chances of progression.

We also still have six gentlemen non-seeds, headed by Ernests Gulbis, the well-heeled, endlessly interesting, free-spirited Latvian qualifier who’s finally made it to the second week here at the 11th attempt after surviving three straight five-setters, culminating in his defeat of No.4 seed Alexander Zverev.

After playing an exhausting 15 hours of tennis over six matches, he says he’s still feeling improbably fresh and on No.2 Court, he’ll need to be to cope with Kei Nishikori, who outclassed Nick Kyrgios on Saturday evening.

This was always the day when Serena reckoned she put on her business head; now, as a new working mom, she can enjoy the mother of all matches on Centre Court with the one other player here who can really empathise with the monumental nature of her comeback.

Evgeniya Rodina, the world No.120, sounds a mite star-struck when she explains how Williams, who’s won 23 Grand Slams while she’s yet to win even a single tour title, is her idol. Yet even the great one might feel inspired by the tale of a journeyman Muscovite qualifier who’s struggled to rebuild her career while juggling it with maternal duties and yet has suddenly discovered the tennis of her life here at 29.

For while her little girl has been playing with an iPad in the Wimbledon creche, mum has enjoyed the tournament of her life, winning six matches in Qualifying and the main draw, earning the scalp of US Open finalist Madison Keys and getting a kiss from five-year-old Anna after each win. “It’s great to be a mum,” beams Rodina. Ah, but it’s even better to beat THE mom.

Next question: how to beat The Man? This is the 16th time Roger Federer has graced the second Monday here and, insanely, he seems to have floated here more effortlessly than ever before. At 36. He’s not lost his serve; he’s not faced a break point; heavens, nobody’s even taken him to deuce on his delivery.

Adrian Mannarino knows the score, having won just one set off Federer in five matches. The French left-hander was fined at Wimbledon last year for barging into a ball boy and would now love to make news for the right reasons. But nobody pushes the eight-time champion around here.

Internet sensation

Nadal won’t forget last year’s Manic Monday in a hurry. His accidental if rather comical head-banging warm-up routine while waiting to go out on to No.1 Court became an internet sensation before Gilles Muller kayoed him 15-13 in the fifth.

Looking good on the courts so far, the world No.1 will doubtless be cracking his head in frustration on Centre this time if he again fails to reach the quarter-finals for the first time here in seven years against fellow southpaw, Czech world No.93 Jiri Vesely.

Djokovic is charged with subduing the huge-hitting 22-year-old Russian Karen Khachanov on No.1 Court after ending British hopes on Saturday. He’s forgiven, of course, but we had been rather hoping that after all the years when this date was also known as Murray Monday, we might now be enjoying Ed-Monday. Still, your day will surely come, Kyle…

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2018-07-08/2018-07-07_preview_day_7.html

Czech seventh seed Karolina Pliskova became the last of the women's top 10 seeds to go out of Wimbledon, beaten in straight sets by Kiki Bertens.

The 26-year-old lost her fourth-round match 6-3 7-6 (7-1) after a largely uninspiring display.

Bertens, 26, who is seeded 20th and beat Venus Williams in the last round, was ruthless with break-point chances.

Pliskova gave glimpses of her ability in the second set but Bertens held her nerve to secure a quarter-final spot.

The Dutch player had more energy around the court and showed a better temperament than her more languid opponent in the key moments.

Former world number one Pliskova's serve also lacked conviction, which enabled Bertens to capitalise in the first set with two breaks while confidently holding her own.

Bertens, who considered quitting tennis in 2017 because she was "miserable" despite climbing the rankings, found life a little tougher in the second set.

An early break gave the Dutch player the upper hand, although at 4-2 down the Czech lifted her game to cancel out the break.

The pair held serve for the remainder of the second set, as Pliskova finally found some rhythm to force a tie-break.

However, Bertens went 3-0 up in the tie-break and then produced an ace before Pliskova overhit a first-time return.

With momentum behind her Bertens, ranked 20th in the world, clinically served out to secure a meeting with Julia Gorges of Germany in the last eight.

Angelique Kerber (11) is the highest seed left in the women's singles following her 6-3 7-6 (7-5) win over Belinda Bencic of Switzerland.

Bencic missed four set points which allowed 30-year-old German Kerber to force a tie-break and close out the victory.

Kerber claimed she will not be affected by the pressure of being the top-ranked seed still in the tournament.

"I am trying not to look left or right, just to focus on my tennis and improving it," she said.

"I know I still have a lot of tough matches and I'm just concentrating on myself."
Ostapenko, Cibulkova and Giorgi through

Former French Open champion Jelena Ostapenko beat Aliaksandra Sasnovich 7-6 (7-4) 6-0 to reach the quarter-finals.

The 12th seed was down 5-2 in the first set but won four games in a row before coming out on top in a crucial tie-break.

She then cruised to a comfortable 6-0 win in the second set.

The Latvian will play world number 33 Dominika Cibulkova of Slovakia after she beat Taiwan's Hsieh Su-wei 6-4 6-1.

There was controversy in the final game of the first set when Cibulkova successfully challenged after one of her shots was called out.

The umpire initially awarded the point to Cibulkova - which would have brought up three set points for the Slovak.

But Hsieh - whose reply to Cibulkova's shot had landed in - argued with the umpire and asked for the referee to be called. Following a seven-minute delay, they were eventually told to replay the point. Hsieh won it but it proved only a temporary reprieve as Cibulkova went on to break Hsieh's serve and clinch the set.

Elsewhere, Italian Camila Giorgi beat Ekaterina Makarova of Russia 6-3 6-4 to secure her progress.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/44767030

World number one Rafael Nadal reached his first Wimbledon quarter-final since 2011 with a straight-sets win over unseeded Czech Jiri Vesely.

The second seed, 32, converted his third match point to win 6-3 6-3 6-4.

The Spaniard is still on track to meet top seed Roger Federer - on the 10th anniversary of their epic 2008 final - in Sunday's men's singles showpiece.

Nadal will play either Argentine fifth seed Juan Martin del Potro or France's Gilles Simon in the last eight.

The 17-time Grand Slam champion is playing his first tournament since winning an 11th French Open title last month after pulling out of Queen's - a move that appears to be paying dividends.

Nadal looks refreshed and in peak condition both mentally and physically having not dropped a set on his way to the quarter-finals.

"It is an important moment for me. I'm happy to be where I am and playing well," he told BBC Sport.

"They have been four positive matches, I haven't played on grass for a year and I'm hoping to keep enjoying it."

Nadal has won Wimbledon twice - in 2008 and 2010 - but has also suffered some shock defeats on what is his least natural surface.

Since finishing runner-up to Novak Djokovic in 2011, Nadal has been knocked out by four players ranked outside the world's top 100 - Lukas Rosel, Steve Darcis, Nick Kyrgios and Dustin Brown - as well as a surprise defeat by Luxembourg's Gilles Muller last year.

But there was never any danger of that happening against world number 93 Vesely.

Nadal moved into a 3-1 lead in the opening set when Vesely coughed up a double fault on the first break point of the match, an error that proved significant given the underdog was unable to make a dent on Nadal's service game.

Indeed the 24-year-old, aiming for his first Grand Slam quarter-final, won just two points on Nadal's serve in an opening set that lasted 31 minutes.

A single break was also enough for Nadal to move into a two-set lead shortly after the hour mark and, with the Majorcan having only ever lost one Grand Slam match from that position, it looked unlikely Vesely would cause a shock.

Stars shine on Centre Court
With Federer and Serena Williams both cruising through in straight sets before Nadal began his match, the Centre Court crowd was hoping to see more of a contest in the day's third and final singles.

But with Nadal looking untroubled as he claimed the first two sets, the lull around Wimbledon's show court showed no signs of lifting.

Eventually there was a spark when Vesely threatened to push the match into a fourth set by earning his first break point of the match out of nowhere.

It was even more surprising when Nadal walloped a relatively simple forehand into the net to give Vesely a 3-2 lead.

That error only served to sharpen Nadal's focus, however, as he broke straight back in the next game and took Vesely's serve again - albeit after some admirable resistance - to win in one hour and 53 minutes.

"He started to play better from the baseline, I made a couple of mistakes," said Nadal.

"But then I came back - that was a key moment in that third set."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/44772424

Roger Federer, Serena Williams Reach Wimbledon Quarters

LONDON - Not one top-10 seed has made the women's quarterfinals at Wimbledon. Serena Williams will be there, though, after she moved a step closer to an eighth title at the All England Club.

Williams reached her 13th Wimbledon quarterfinal by beating Russian qualifier Evgeniya Rodina 6-4, 6-2 on Monday, and never looked likely to join the parade of favorites who have been eliminated.

No. 7 Karolina Pliskova became the last of the top-10 seeds to be knocked out, losing to Kiki Bertens of the Netherlands.

Since seeds were introduced in the 1920s, it's the first time none of the top-10 have reached the women's quarterfinals at Wimbledon. It's also a first for any Grand Slam tournament in the 50-year professional era.

Williams is seeded 25th after returning from having a baby, but is looking like her usual dominant self on the grass courts. In a matchup of the only two mothers remaining in the draw, she jumped into a 3-0 lead in both sets and wrapped up the win in 62 minutes.

Rodina, who upset 10th-seeded Madison Keys in the previous round, broke back for 3-2 in the second set but was broken to love straight away.

''It was tougher than the scoreline,'' Williams said. ''I knew we were both moms, and I'm not sure how often that's happened, if ever. So it's really cool. You can be a mom, you can still play tennis and you can still be great.''

In the men's tournament, Roger Federer advanced to a record-extending 16th Wimbledon quarterfinal with a 6-0, 7-5, 6-4 victory over Adrian Mannarino of France.

The eight-time champion lost just five points in a 16-minute first set but faced break points for the first time in this year's tournament, saving all four. Federer has now won 32 consecutive sets at Wimbledon to move within one straight-sets victory of breaking his previous longest streak at the All England Club, when he won 34 in a row between the third round in 2005 and the final in 2006.

Ninth-seeded American John Isner, No. 13 Milos Raonic of Canada and No. 24 Kei Nishikori of Japan also advanced.

Isner rode his big serve to beat Greek teenager Stefanos Tsitsipas 6-4, 7-6 (8), 7-6 (4). He next faces Raonic, who defeated Mackenzie McDonald of the U.S. 6-3, 6-4, 6-7 (5), 6-2.

Bertens hit seven aces and saved eight of the 10 break points she faced to win 6-3, 7-6 (2) against Pliskova and complete the latest upset in the women's draw. She beat the ninth-seeded Venus Williams in the third round after coming from a break down in the third set.

Bertens next faces 13th-seeded Julia Goerges, who beat Donna Vekic of Croatia 6-3, 6-2 to secure her first Grand Slam quarterfinal appearance.

Jelena Ostapenko and Dominika Cibulkova will also meet in Tuesday's quarterfinals.

Ostapenko reached the last eight for the second straight year with a 7-6 (4), 6-0 victory over Aliaksandra Sasnovich, while Cibulkova beat Hsieh Su-Wei 6-4, 6-1.

Williams faces Camila Giorgi of Italy next, while 11th-seeded Angelique Kerber plays Daria Kasatkina of Russia.

https://www.si.com/tennis/2018/07/09/roger-federer-adrian-mannarino-wimbledon-quarterfinals

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ratings for <a href="https://twitter.com/rogerfederer?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@rogerfederer</a>'s forward defence, <a href="https://twitter.com/ICC?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@ICC</a>?<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Wimbledon?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Wimbledon</a> <a href="https://t.co/VVAt2wHPa4">pic.twitter.com/VVAt2wHPa4</a></p>— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) <a href="https://twitter.com/Wimbledon/status/1016332748796162048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 9, 2018</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ratings for <a href="https://twitter.com/rogerfederer?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@rogerfederer</a>'s forward defence, <a href="https://twitter.com/ICC?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@ICC</a>?<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Wimbledon?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Wimbledon</a> <a href="https://t.co/VVAt2wHPa4">pic.twitter.com/VVAt2wHPa4</a></p>— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) <a href="https://twitter.com/Wimbledon/status/1016332748796162048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 9, 2018</a></blockquote>

too bad ICC didn't reply that..

too bad ICC didn't reply that..

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">*sigh* ok... &#55357;&#56391; <a href="https://t.co/KXnhaznxL8">pic.twitter.com/KXnhaznxL8</a></p>— ICC (@ICC) <a href="https://twitter.com/ICC/status/1016416158269034496?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 9, 2018</a></blockquote>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">When greatness recognises greatness &#55357;&#56396; <a href="https://t.co/UB2hJli5gw">pic.twitter.com/UB2hJli5gw</a></p>— ICC (@ICC) <a href="https://twitter.com/ICC/status/1016418250140323841?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 9, 2018</a></blockquote>

Eleventh seed Angelique Kerber reached the Wimbledon semi-finals with a 6-3 7-5 win over Russia's Daria Kasatkina.

Two-time Grand Slam winner Kerber, the highest-ranked seed left in the women's competition, dominated the first set as Kasatkina struggled with nerves.

Fourteenth seed Kasatkina, 21, grew in confidence but Kerber came through to win on her seventh match point.

The German, 30, will face Latvian 12th seed Jelena Ostapenko on Thursday after she beat Dominika Cibulkova 7-5 6-4.

In the other half of the draw, Serena Williams takes on Camila Giorgi and Kiki Bertens plays Julia Gorges.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/44783598

London - Novak Djokovic insists it's only fair that he should play his Wimbledon quarter-final on Centre Court on Wednesday, handing the All England Club a dilemma over relegating Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal to Court One.

Despite being a three-time champion, Djokovic has featured just once on Centre Court - against British home favourite Kyle Edmund in the last 32 - in the opening four rounds.

By contrast, eight-time champion Federer, and Nadal, the title winner on two occasions, have played exclusively on the 15 000-seater Centre Court.

So, with two quarter-finals being played on Centre Court and two on Court One, something has got to give.

"We'll see. Hopefully," said Djokovic when asked if he expected to face Japan's Kei Nishikori on the most famous arena in tennis.

The Serb went on to tell Serbian media that he "deserved" to be on Centre Court.

Djokovic has played twice on the 11 000-capacity Court One this year but was shunted off to the 4 000-seater Court Two for his second round clash against Horacio Zeballos.

Three times he was scheduled last on court, putting him at risk of falling victim to fading light with the burden of having to return the following day.

He managed to finish off Russia's Karen Khachanov in straight sets in the gathering gloom on Monday.

Twelve months ago, his last-16 match with Adrian Mannarino, also scheduled for Court One, was cancelled despite Centre Court with its retractable roof being available.

Djokovic had to play that fourth round on Tuesday and quarter-final on Wednesday when he was forced to retire against Tomas Berdych with an elbow injury.

On Monday, he almost fell victim to the scheduling curse again.

"I heard that the organisers were planning to cancel my match if Gael Monfils and Kevin Anderson went to a fifth. Luckily for me it didn't happen," he said of the tie which preceded his clash with Khachanov.

Bizarrely, organisers decided to put a mixed doubles match on Centre Court, which was concluded under the roof after sunset.

"It's what I wished for," said Djokovic when asked if he would have preferred to move to Centre Court.

"Like last year, I received the information that they can't reschedule my match on the other court because of the tickets that are presold.

"I guess there are other factors that play in."

Wherever he ends up playing, Djokovic, the 2011, 2014 and 2015 champion, will be favourite to see off Nishikori for a 14th time in 16 meetings.

Nishikori is playing in his first Wimbledon quarter-final.

He is also the first Japanese man to reach the quarter-finals since Shuzo Matsuoka in 1995.

"It's always like a big war for me," said Nishikori on facing Djokovic.

Defending champion Federer will be playing in his 16th Wimbledon quarter-final and 53rd at all Grand Slams.

His opponent on Wednesday is eighth-seeded Kevin Anderson, the first South African since Wayne Ferreira in 1994 to get to the last eight.

Top seed Federer, 36, has now won 32 consecutive sets at Wimbledon, just two behind his record run from the third round in 2005 to his title triumph in 2006.

He also holds a 4-0 career lead over 2017 US Open runner-up Anderson who has yet to take a set off the Swiss.

Federer hasn't dropped serve at Wimbledon so far but is wary of the challenge posed by Anderson whose big serving style is flourishing on courts cooked by last week's heatwave.

"It's definitely helped a certain style of player, maybe the big servers," said 20-time major winner Federer.

Nadal has made the quarter-finals for the first time since finishing runner-up to Djokovic in 2011.

The world number one, chasing an 18th major, will now take on Juan Martin del Potro boasting a 10-5 career lead.

Del Potro is in his first quarter-final at the tournament since 2013 when he reached the semi-final.

Many are already anticipating a Sunday final between Federer and Nadal, 10 years after their 2008 epic championship showdown widely regarded as the greatest final ever played.

"Facing Roger again will be something fantastic," said Nadal.

"But if you ask me if I prefer another one, I say yes. It's about being smart, no?"

Wednesday's other quarter-final sees 2016 runner-up Milos Raonic tackle US ninth seed John Isner, making his Wimbledon last-eight debut at 33.

It won't be pretty.

Isner, 33, has not been broken in 74 service games while Raonic has dropped serve just three times in 72 games.

Isner has unleashed a tournament-leading 135 aces while Canadian 13th seed Raonic is in second place, having fired 117.

Raonic has the fastest serve of this year's Wimbledon at 236.5km/h, while Isner is just behind on 231.7km/h.

https://m.sport24.co.za/Tennis/Wimb...d-djokovic-face-centre-court-dilemma-20180710

Serena Williams survived a scare to reach the Wimbledon semi-finals with a comeback victory over hard-hitting Italian Camila Giorgi.

The 23-time Grand Slam champion dropped her first set of the championships but came through 3-6 6-3 6-4.

Giorgi, the world number 52, produced the type of power normally associated with her opponent - but the American then found an extra gear.

Williams faces German 13th seed Julia Gorges in Thursday's semi-finals.

Also through to the last four are German 11th seed Angelique Kerber, who beat Russian Daria Kasatkina 6-3 7-5, and Latvian 12th seed Jelena Ostapenko, who overcame Slovak Dominika Cibulkova 7-5 6-4.

Before the match, Giorgi had raised eyebrows when, asked about her impression of Williams over the years, she said: "I don't follow tennis."

And she certainly played as if undaunted by the reputation and titles of her opponent.

Giorgi's serve was straight out of the Williams book of power. She delivered three aces to the American's one in the first set and won 84% of points on her first serve.

It is not often you see Williams scrambling to return a serve or nearly knocked off her feet by the force of a near 120mph delivery - it is more often her dishing that up - but she was given a taste of her own medicine by the fearless Giorgi.

The 36-year-old came forward to attack more in the second set, not allowing Giorgi any break points and winning her own break in the fourth game.

She turned the screw with a backhand winner down the line to break in the third game of the final set and got more of her first serves in to take charge, sealing victory on her first match point when Giorgi sent a forehand into the net.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/44783078

LMAO didn't even know Wimbledon is going on.... The FIFA WC is truly the premier sporting event of the world. All attention is taken up by it.

Wimbledon first-round men's doubles tennis clash reported over match-fixing suspicions

A men's doubles match at Wimbledon has been reported to gaming and tennis authorities as suspicious after an "out of the ordinary" late shift in odds, the ABC can reveal.

International bookmaker Pinnacle Sports has confirmed the first-round match was "flagged as suspicious due to irregular betting patterns".

Pinnacle's sports integrity manager Sam Gomersall said the company noticed "a series of bets from accounts with a history of wagering on suspicious matches", which were placed in the hour before the match began.

This helped create a late shift in odds, which Mr Gomersall said was "another clear indication" of suspicious activity.

"We would anticipate some minor odds movement in any tennis match," he said

"But the odds movement … just under an hour before it was due to start is certainly out of the ordinary.

"We followed our strict protocol when it comes [to] match-fixing alerts by notifying the authorities on site at Wimbledon and reducing our market offering immediately."

Some of the players involved in the match are ranked in the singles top 100.

ABC cannot identify the match for legal reasons, but has made efforts to contact the relevant players.

Another industry insider, who said he also flagged the match with authorities but did not want to be named, said the game attracted significant interest on betting markets.

However, the ABC is not aware of any bookmakers closing their books on this match, and a tennis betting analyst says the match did not attract suspicions with eastern European bookmakers.

The Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) would not comment on whether the match was under investigation.

"The TIU has become more transparent, hence our publication of [quarterly] match alert data, but that is also balanced against the need for operational confidentiality, as in this matter," a TIU spokesperson said.

The ABC has also contacted Wimbledon, the UK Gambling Commission and the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) for comment.

Mr Gomersall said Pinnacle Sports was "committed to doing what we can to reduce the number of fixed matches in all sports".

"We will continue to work closely with local police forces and other similar organisations to assist the great work they are doing to combat match fixing in tennis."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-11/wimbledon-tennis-match-reported-as-suspicious/9968896

Novak Djokovic became a serious Wimbledon title contender as he made his first semi-final since 2015 with a 6-3 3-6 6-2 6-2 win over Kei Nishikori.

It was performance of resilience and resolve from the former number one, reminiscent of the player who held all four Grand Slam titles two years ago.

After taking the first set, Djokovic's Japanese opponent saved four break points before levelling.

The Serb took the next and fought from a break down in the fourth to win.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/44796089

Anyone watching this match between Federer and Anderson? Showing no signs of ending!

Anyone watching this match between Federer and Anderson? Showing no signs of ending!

Finally. This is the first match of Tennis I've watched in a long time as I saw it was on so thought may as well watch it. Federer is out! What a comeback from Anderson and what a game, I chose the right match to watch :) It kept going one way then the other!

Defending champion Roger Federer is out of Wimbledon after eighth seed Kevin Anderson fought back from two sets down in a gripping quarter-final.

Top seed Federer, who was aiming for a record-equalling ninth singles title, missed a match point in the third set.

It proved pivotal as the South African recovered to win 2-6 6-7 (5-7) 7-5 6-4 13-11 in four hours and 13 minutes.

The 2017 US Open finalist will meet Canada's Milos Raonic or American John Isner in his first SW19 semi-final.

Eight-time champion Federer has already won more Wimbledon singles titles than any other man, but was aiming to equal Martina Navratilova's all-time record.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/44794985

Stunning comeback from Anderson and thank god Federer lost. I don't hate him but I hate his fans

Why was there no tie break in the Fereder's game while there was one in Nadal's game?

Why was there no tie break in the Fereder's game while there was one in Nadal's game?

First four sets have tiebreaks, but not the fifth.

Speaking on Nadal, there might be another five-setter on the cards here.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The victor and the vanquished. Sportsmanship at its finest.<br><br>After four hours and 47 minutes of pure theatre, <a href="https://twitter.com/RafaelNadal?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@RafaelNadal</a> shares a touching embrace with Juan Martin del Potro &#55357;&#56399;<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Wimbledon?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Wimbledon</a> <a href="https://t.co/TykAQAPReH">pic.twitter.com/TykAQAPReH</a></p>— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) <a href="https://twitter.com/Wimbledon/status/1017135744169725958?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 11, 2018</a></blockquote>

federer got beaten, and nadal had a epic match.

Ive got a feeling isner might win this yr wimbledon = the way he is serving

Federer: I couldn't surprise him any more

Federer at a loss

From such a seismic shock as Roger Federer’s loss to Kevin Anderson in an epic quarter-final comes the natural search for answers: the vanquished champion, however, couldn’t help.

“Honestly, I’m not sure,” said the eight-time victor when asked to pinpoint a moment when he lost control of the match. “I guess there was definitely a moment at some point. Is it missing match points? Is it getting broken at five-all after that? I'm not sure.

“That could have been a key. Could have been a key later. There's a lot of little points here and there that always make a difference in the outcome of a match.”

And there were many points in the four-hour 14-minute epic against Anderson, as the South African completed a remarkable comeback in his first quarter-final at SW19.

Match point saved

From Federer’s statement start to win the first set in just 26 minutes, to Anderson’s gradual improvement to save a match point in the third set, it evolved into a test that required Federer’s trademark best.

“First set felt great," the Swiss said. "Reading the serve. He wasn't getting many aces. When I was on, I was making him play. From the baseline I felt like I could mix it up, play aggressive. There was a lot going on. As the match went on, I couldn't surprise him any more. That's a bad feeling to have.”

Still, Federer’s unparalleled eight Wimbledon titles among his record 20 Grand Slams underline his ability to manage such tests, usually. “It's not like it hasn't happened before. I've been in many, many matches like this,” he reasoned.

'I had my chances'

“These are the moments where you try to hold your serve, create opportunities. Maybe he's got to miss a few more than make a few more. That's going to maybe make the difference. I couldn't come up with enough good stuff for him to miss more. I think that was the key at the end.”

Crediting Anderson’s big serve and his effective return when the right opportunities presented, Federer also noted the South African’s sturdy endurance.

“I think I had my chances, so it's disappointing. No, I mean, no doubt about it. He was consistent. He was solid. He got what he needed when he had to,” he said. “Credit to him for hanging around really that long.”

Federer felt fresh even through the 90-minute final set - it was only after the match that fatigue took hold. “I know what kind of energy I need to bring to the fifth. I was able to bring that,” he related. “To be honest, I didn't feel mental fatigue. Now I feel horribly fatigued and just awful. It's just terrible.”

Federer was naturally in no state of mind to suggest the length of his recovery. “I don't know how long it's going to take me. Might take me a while. Might take me half an hour. I have no idea what it's going to be,” he said.

Unfinished business
Any sense of unfinished business, though, was one that the Swiss quickly dismissed. “Of course, the goal is to come back here next year,” he smiled. “I wouldn't call it 'unfinished business'. I felt like I did some good business here in the past already. So I'm all right. Just disappointed now.”

And if there was a silver lining to Federer’s shock exit, it was the fuel it might provide for his return.

“Maybe the losses hurt more, that you don't want to be on the loser's side. It motivates me to do extremely well here because I don't want to sit here and explain my loss. That's the worst feeling you can have as a tennis player,” he said.

“Honestly, I think I just, you know, love being around here. It's a good vibe. We have a good time as a family. I have great memories from here. My heroes all won here. Every time I come back here, I try to be like them, so it's nice to be here.”

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2018-07-11/federer_i_couldnt_surprise_him_any_more.html

Germany's Angelique Kerber reached the second Wimbledon final of her career with a 6-3 6-3 win over Latvia's Jelena Ostapenko on Centre Court.

Kerber, 30, lost in the 2016 final to Serena Williams - and the pair will meet again if the American beats Julia Gorges in the second semi-final.

The 11th seed saved a break point in game six before breaking Ostapenko's serve in the next game.

She then gained an early break in the second set on her way to the win.

"It is such a great feeling to be back in the final and to play on Centre Court is always a great experience," said Kerber.

"I'm happy and proud to be in another Grand Slam final, I will just try to play like I did and just focus on my game.

"Jelena is always fighting until the last point, hits the ball really hard, and I was trying to stay focused. It was quite tough but I'm happy to be through."

Ostapenko, who won the 2017 French Open title, was playing in her first Wimbledon semi-final.

Despite making 18 first-set winners compared to only six from Kerber, the 21-year-old also made 19 unforced errors, with Kerber only making two.

The former world number one then capitalised on more poor play from Ostapenko, breaking her serve at the first time of asking in the second set and again in the sixth game.

Ostapenko saved a match point in the seventh and gained one break back, but it was not enough.

Kerber won both the Australian Open and US Open in 2016 and will have a chance to win her third Grand Slam title on Saturday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/44810523

Serena Williams will face Germany's Angelique Kerber for an eighth Wimbledon singles title after both won their semi-finals in straight sets.

The American former world number one overpowered Germany's Julia Gorges 6-2 6-4, while Kerber beat Latvia's Jelena Ostapenko 6-3 6-3.

Saturday's final will be a re-match of the 2016 showpiece, which Williams won.

Williams will be seeking a record-equalling 24th Grand Slam title and her first since giving birth in September.

Live scores, schedule and results
BBC TV, radio and online coverage
Relive Kerber's win over Ostapenko as it happened
Williams comeback close to fairytale ending
Serena Williams and Julia Gorges
Williams won 87% of points on her first serve against Gorges, who managed just 59%
Williams was in control from the outset against 13th seed Gorges, who was making her Grand Slam semi-final debut.

It was the first time at these championships that the American had faced a player ranked in the top 50 and she stepped up with a powerful display that also showed better movement around the court than in previous rounds.

She broke in the sixth game of the first set when Gorges went wide and then took the set on the German's serve when her opponent sent a forehand wide.

The second set followed a similar pattern, with the only brief wobble coming in the ninth game when Williams was broken. But she struck back immediately and looked to the sky when an attempted lob from Gorges flew out to give her the victory.

Gorges, who had spent more than 10 hours on court before this match, the longest of any of the semi-finalists by around two and a half hours, was put out of her misery on Centre Court in just 70 minutes.

"It's crazy. I don't even know how to feel because I literally didn't think I'd do this well in my fourth tournament back," said Williams.

"I don't have anything to lose and I feel I can play so free. That's what I'm doing.

"This is not inevitable for me, I had a really tough delivery and multiple surgeries and almost didn't make it to be honest. I couldn't even walk to my mailbox, so it's definitely not normal for me to be in a Wimbledon final.

"I'm enjoying every moment."

Williams only returned to the Tour in March, having "almost died" giving birth to her daughter last September.

Despite her maternity break, she is now into a Grand Slam final for the 12th consecutive year.

Kerber proud to be in another Grand Slam final

Two-time Grand Slam champion Kerber reached her second Wimbledon final with a commanding performance against an error-prone Ostapenko.

The 11th seed saved a break point in game six before breaking the Latvian's serve in the next game.

The 30-year-old then gained an early break in the second set on her way to the victory.

"It is such a great feeling to be back in the final and to play on Centre Court is always a great experience," said Kerber.

"I'm happy and proud to be in another Grand Slam final, I will just try to play like I did and just focus on my game.

"Jelena is always fighting until the last point, hits the ball really hard, and I was trying to stay focused. It was quite tough but I'm happy to be through."

Ostapenko, who won the 2017 French Open title, was playing in her first Wimbledon semi-final.

Despite making 18 first-set winners compared to only six from Kerber, the 21-year-old also made 19 unforced errors, with Kerber only making two.

The former world number one then capitalised on more poor play from Ostapenko, breaking her serve at the first time of asking in the second set and again in the sixth game.

Ostapenko saved a match point in the seventh and gained one break back, but it was not enough against the 2016 Australian Open and US Open champion.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/44810523

Wimbledon: Serena Williams reaches Wimbledon final just 14 matches into her comeback

Yes, this will be Serena Williams's 10th Wimbledon final. Yes, it's her 30th title match at any major. And, well, sure, she's widely regarded as not just the best of her era, but any era.

Let others shrug at this latest accomplishment, as if all it signified were merely another chance at another in a long line of trophies. Williams is not shy about saying she, for one, is impressed by this. Rightly so. For it was only about 10 months ago she was having a baby and then dealing with a serious health scare that followed.

Even after all of that, even after more than a year away from the game, even in only the fourth tournament of her comeback, Williams showed she's still capable of dominance. Especially at the All England Club, where a relatively routine 6-2, 6-4 victory over 13th-seeded Julia Goerges of Germany on Thursday put Williams one win away from an eighth championship.

She's also closing in on her 24th grand slam title, which would equal Margaret Court's all-time record.

"A lot of people were saying, 'Oh, she should be in the final,'" the 36-year-old Williams said.

After hitting five aces with a serve that reached 191 kmh, delivering 16 winners to only seven unforced errors, and covering the court so well with speed and effort, Williams will face another German, 11th-seeded Angelique Kerber, on Saturday.

"Whatever happens, honestly," Williams said, "it's an incredible effort from me."

The left-handed Kerber, a former world number one and two-time major champion, beat 12th-seeded Jelena Ostapenko 6-3, 6-3 earlier.

"Seeing her back, it's great," said Kerber, who has lost six of eight previous matches against Williams.

Kerber let 2017 French Open champion Ostapenko determine the outcome of nearly every point. By the end, Ostapenko had far more winners, 30-10, and far more unforced errors, 36-7.

Williams verses Kerber will be a rematch of the 2016 final. Williams won that for a second consecutive Wimbledon title, then sat out the grass-court tournament last year while pregnant, part of a 16-month gap between majors.

After giving birth to daughter Olympia last September, Williams was treated for blood clots.

"I lost count after, like, four surgeries," said Williams, who has been wearing compression leggings this fortnight as a precaution.

Her first grand slam tournament back was the French Open, where she won three matches before withdrawing last month because of an injured chest muscle.

All of the time away pushed someone who's spent more than 300 weeks ranked number one down the rankings — she began Wimbledon at 181st, but was seeded 25th on account of her past success — and no one could quite be sure how the American would fare over these two weeks.

Not even Williams knew.

"This is not inevitable for me. I had a really tough delivery … and almost didn't make it, to be honest," Williams said.

The victory over Goerges extended Williams's winning streak at Wimbledon to 20 matches, dating to the start of the 2015 edition. She's also won her past 15 grand slam matches since the start of the 2017 Australian Open, which she won while pregnant.

That title pushed her past Steffi Graf's record of 22 majors in the half-century professional era — Court won some of her slams during the amateur era.

Williams's match against Goerges was even until 2-2, 30-all. Until then, Goerges, the first seeded player Williams faced these two weeks, showed she was capable of trading power from the baseline and big serves with Williams.

There were moments when watching Goerges made it easy to wonder how it could be possible she never had been past a major's fourth round until now. Or, more to the point on this afternoon, how such a stinging serve and groundstrokes didn't help her avoid first-round exits each of the past five years at Wimbledon.

But she couldn't keep up with Williams, who grabbed 18 of 22 points and five consecutive games to close the first set and begin the next.

"She brings her 'A game' in a lot of important moments," Goerges said. "We saw that she improved every single match she's playing here."

There was one brief blip to come — Williams got broken for the only time while serving for the match at 5-3. Immediately, though, she broke back at love to end it, placing her left fist on her chest when Goerges' last shot landed long.

Later, Williams was asked whether this has been her most trying comeback in a career that's had its share, including an earlier bout with blood clots in her lungs.

"I don't know if it's been the toughest, because I have Olympia. For me, I only see joy out of it," Williams said with a smile.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-...ams-powers-into-30th-grand-slam-final/9989198

Some funny tweets. :))

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Left: Before Isner v Anderson<br><br>Right: After Isner v Anderson <a href="https://t.co/jNHVURGD2R">pic.twitter.com/jNHVURGD2R</a></p>— Stuart Fraser (@stu_fraser) <a href="https://twitter.com/stu_fraser/status/1017813301588385793?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 13, 2018</a></blockquote>

Some funny tweets. :))

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Left: Before Isner v Anderson<br><br>Right: After Isner v Anderson <a href="https://t.co/jNHVURGD2R">pic.twitter.com/jNHVURGD2R</a></p>— Stuart Fraser (@stu_fraser) <a href="https://twitter.com/stu_fraser/status/1017813301588385793?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 13, 2018</a></blockquote>

This is nothing compared to the 2010 match between Isner and Mahut. Final set finished 70-68 :))

Hopefully Anderson is ready to play for the rest of the day...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isner–Mahut_match_at_the_2010_Wimbledon_Championships

If this set goes over 25 games, then I can't see how one of these guys is going to recover for the final. Nadal Vs Djoko will decide the Wimbledon champ today.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Nadal and Djokovic at the end of this match <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Wimbledon?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Wimbledon</a> <a href="https://t.co/fd295czqIE">pic.twitter.com/fd295czqIE</a></p>— We Are Tennis (@WeAreTennis) <a href="https://twitter.com/WeAreTennis/status/1017822285665841152?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 13, 2018</a></blockquote>

24-24 and the quality-wise this is one of the trashiest final sets I have seen for a while. Just painful to watch.

That Anderson match earlier looked like it would never end!

First game of the day has already gone on for more than 10 minutes... Nadal struggling to hold his serve.

Nadal saves three break points, wins five points in a row to win the set.

On to a fifth, then.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Longest semifinals in <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Wimbledon?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Wimbledon</a> history, updated:<br><br>1. Anderson d. Isner (6h36m) 2018<br>2. Djokovic vs Nadal (4h47m and counting) 2018<br>3. Djokovic d. del Potro (4h44m) 2013<br>4. Becker d. Lendl (4h01m) 1989<br><br>Yes, the two longest semifinals ever both came this year. How lucky are we?</p>— Ben Rothenberg (@BenRothenberg) <a href="https://twitter.com/BenRothenberg/status/1018134135125225472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 14, 2018</a></blockquote>

Havent managed to watch much of wimbledon this year due to work and the WC. but what a corker Djokovic- Nadal was an instant classic by two ATGs.

Serena Williams says her run to the Wimbledon final showed she can still be a contender to win Grand Slams and that this is just the start of her comeback.

The 36-year-old American lost 6-3 6-3 to Angelique Kerber in Saturday's final, as the German capitalised on her error-strewn performance.

Williams had been seeking a record-equalling 24th Grand Slam singles title 10 months after giving birth.

"These two weeks have really showed me that, OK, I can compete," she said.

"I didn't know a couple of months ago where I was, where I would be, how I would do, how I would be able to come back. It was such a long way to see light at the end of the road.

"Obviously I can compete for the long run in a Grand Slam. I can come out and be a contender to win Grand Slams."

Former world number one Williams, who has won seven Wimbledon singles titles, said she had learned a lot from her past seven matches at the All England Club.

While her serve remains powerful - reaching 125mph, the fastest in the women's singles - some rustiness showed in her finishing of sometimes routine shots and laboured movement around the court.

"I feel like I have a way to go. This is literally just the beginning," she said.

"Really just these two weeks were so mental for me. I won matches. I was really mentally fighting for every match. I did the best that I could every match that I played.

"I just feel like I'm taking the steps in the right direction. I took a giant step at Wimbledon. But my journey has just begun."

Kerber, 30, celebrated a childhood dream by winning her first Wimbledon and third Grand Slam title.

She did it by attacking Williams' serve and extending the rallies to make the American move. She forced Williams to come forward, with half of her 24 forays to the net ending in errors.

"I was quite nervous before the match," she said. "But I was trying to tell myself, 'Go out there and play your best match', because I know that against Serena I have to play my best tennis, especially in the important moments.

"I was trying to just b aggressive, when I have the chance going for it, because I know she served well and I have to move well, moving her as well."

She said one of the keys was being able to draw on her experience in a women's Wimbledon final that featured two players in their thirties for the first time in 41 years.

"I know the feeling of going out there in the semi-finals, playing the finals," said Kerber, who lost to Williams in the 2016 final.

"I knew what to expect. I think that helps me also be a little bit relaxed. To going out there, to focusing on my match, not thinking that's the final, that's Wimbledon."

She won the match on her first championship point when Williams could only plant a service return into the net.

"At the end I was starting to be quite nervous. I knew that I have to take my first chance because you never know with her," said Kerber, who will rise to fourth in the world when the rankings are published on Monday after becoming the first German woman to win Wimbledon since Steffi Graf in 1996.

"When I was a kid I was always dreaming for this moment. To win Wimbledon, it's something really special in my career."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/44835824

Novak Djokovic says he has "not much to lose" when he goes for his first Grand Slam title in almost two years against Kevin Anderson in the Wimbledon final.

Djokovic, 31, has won 12 majors but has struggled for form and fitness since claiming the 2016 French Open.

South African Anderson, 32, is bidding to win his first Slam after losing to Rafael Nadal in the 2017 US Open final.

"Considering he's playing only his second Grand Slam final, obviously he has a lot more to gain," said Djokovic.

"If I take my last couple years, I don't have much to lose myself."

The Serb dominated the men's game earlier this decade, holding the number one ranking for 223 weeks and completing a career Grand Slam when he claimed the title at Roland Garros two years ago.

But he dropped out of the world's top 20 earlier this year - for the first time since 2006 - as he returned to action after elbow surgery.

"It makes it even better for me, makes it even more special because I managed to overcome challenges and obstacles, to get myself to the final of a Slam," he said.

"Obviously if you told me that six months ago, I would take it right away."

Marathon men looking for quick recovery

Both men go into the final on the back of gruelling semi-finals during which they spent a combined total of almost 12 hours on court.

Eighth seed Anderson needed six hours and 36 minutes to overcome American ninth seed John Isner in a marathon five-set match which is the second longest Grand Slam match of all-time.

That meant Djokovic's last-four match against long-time rival Rafael Nadal did not start until 20:00 BST on Friday, resuming on Saturday when the Serb completed a five-set win after five hours and 16 minutes on court.

Anderson has the benefit of a day off between the semi-finals and the final, a break Djokovic describes as "necessary".

Temperatures are expected to reach about 30C at Wimbledon on Sunday.

"I wish I can have a day. But it is what it is. I'll just have to accept the circumstances and try to recover as best as I can," said Djokovic.

Speaking after his semi-final, Anderson said it was "not going to be easy" to play again so soon after an exhausting match.

"Obviously I'd like to have been done a little bit earlier in terms of my recovery, playing against one of the greatest players of all time," he said.

"But when you're planning, you're scheduling, you're second on after 1pm, you don't think you're getting on at 8pm. It's tough on them too."

Djokovic has won three Wimbledon titles - in 2011, 2014 and 2015 - but came into the Championships as the 12th seed on the back of a frustrating year blighted by an elbow injury.

After reaching the Queen's final, he worked his way through the draw with increasing assurance and appeared to confirm he is back to his best with victory over Nadal in the last four.

However, he says he is unsure whether he can described as the favourite to beat Anderson.

"I think we're quite even. He's definitely playing the tennis of his life," said Djokovic.

"He's coming off from two epic marathon five-set wins. I don't think he has much to lose really. He's going to come out with big serves and big tennis.

"Hopefully I'll be able to weather the storm. We want this match, both of us."

Turning 30 is no barrier - game, set and stats

-This is the first time in the Open era the Wimbledon men's singles final has been contested by two players aged 30 or over

-Anderson is looking to become the first player to win the Wimbledon title on his debut in the final since Djokovic won his first crown in 2011

-He is bidding to become the first South African man to win the SW19 title

-At 32 years 58 days, Anderson is bidding to become the second-oldest first-time Grand Slam champion in the Open era

-Anderson will rise to a career-high ranking of fourth if he wins. By reaching the final, he has already ensured he will break into the world's top five for the first time in his career

-Djokovic will rise to 11th - his highest ranking since November last year - by reaching the final. He will move up to 10th if he wins

-Djokovic is bidding to win his 13th Grand Slam title and claim sole ownership of fourth place on the all-time list for most Grand Slam men's singles titles behind Roger Federer (20), Rafael Nadal (17) and Pete Sampras (14).

-At 21st, Djokovic is bidding to become the lowest-ranked man to win the Wimbledon title since Goran Ivanisevic in 2001.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/44835435

Havent managed to watch much of wimbledon this year due to work and the WC. but what a corker Djokovic- Nadal was an instant classic by two ATGs.

It was really intense and had some great ebbs and flows. But I don't think it's the instant classic people are hyping it to be. I would say in terms of slams, it may be in their top 5. Overall perhaps in the top 10. I thought the quality, particularly from Djokovic's ROS and BH was well below it used to be, which meant that the match was pretty balanced. Of course outside of clay we all know this match up is not balanced because of Djokovic's ROS and BH.

Back