"Wrong to assume T20 World Cup will be between Ind & Eng / can’t write-off Pak, NZ & Aus": Moeen Ali

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
"Wrong to assume T20 World Cup will be between Ind & Eng / can’t write-off Pak, NZ & Aus": Moeen Ali

In an interview with Saj for isport, the England all-rounder spoke about the recently concluded tour of India, the upcoming IPL season, the Twenty20 World Cup and his plans to continue playing Test cricket.

PRI_187554044-640x360.jpg

England’s recent tour of India started with an emphatic 227-run victory, but it was India’s show after that as they comfortably won the Test series with a 3-1 margin and also tasted victory in both white-ball series. Whilst England will look at the tour as an opportunity lost after failing to qualify for the World Test Championship final, for Moeen Ali, the series marked a long-awaited and impressive return to Test cricket where he picked-up eight wickets in the second Test in Chennai.

“I’d been working hard to get back into the Test team after missing out in Sri Lanka and in the first Test match in India. Despite the loss it was just nice after a tough start to the tour to get a few wickets and score a few runs. I hadn’t played Test cricket for more than 18 months, so it was good to be out there again and do well even though the wicket was supportive to spinners.”

It wasn’t the sort of attention that the England camp needed after the conclusion of the second Test against India, but a remark from Joe Root regarding Moeen Ali’s temporary departure, in which he stated that the all-rounder had chosen to leave the tour resulted in controversy and a subsequent apology from the England skipper. Moeen, understandably was keen to set the record straight and confirm that Root had called him straight away to clear up any misunderstandings.

“I know Joe Root very well, we have a very good relationship, and we are pretty close. He contacted me straight away and he said that after the game he had stated that I had chosen to go home, when he shouldn’t have said it. We had a good chat and Joe cleared the air. It was more what people made of it that concerned me, because they didn’t know the full story or the truth. People tried to portray what Joe said in a negative way, but our relationship is more important than what people were trying to say or assumed. We agreed that as long as we were both cool with each other, everything was fine, and we didn’t care what people were saying. Joe was ok with this and so was I, and we just moved on from it.”

Regardless of the series losses for England in all three formats in India, Moeen feels that they have gained valuable experience, especially when it comes to the Twenty20 World Cup later this year.

“There was some very high-quality cricket out there from both sides. We learnt a lot as a team, and this will be invaluable when we come back to play the Twenty20 World Cup. The Twenty20 series was huge as both sides will have learnt a lot about each other’s strengths and weaknesses. India has some brilliant players so they rotated their squad and we made good use of the experience of playing out there. All said and done, it was brilliant preparation for both squads.”

Conventional wisdom may indicate that India and England will be the front-runners for the Twenty20 World Cup this year but as Moeen explained, there are several other dangerous opponents who shouldn’t be written-off.

“It would be wrong to assume that the Twenty20 World Cup will be a battle between India and England. You can’t write off teams like Pakistan, New Zealand and Australia. The Twenty20 format is such that anyone can beat any opponent and teams like Bangladesh are also dangerous. We are a strong team but it’s important that we nail our skills, and the results will then take care of themselves. If we play to the standard that we can, we feel we can beat anybody.”

Moeen Ali’s next cricketing assignment is the upcoming Indian Premier League after he was bought by Chennai Super Kings. For Moeen, playing in the IPL presents him with a great opportunity to work under great coaches and play alongside players that he has admired during his career.

“I think it’s on every cricketer’s wish-list to play under MS Dhoni and I am no different. I’ve captained previously and I’ll be captaining in The Hundred this year so it will be a great opportunity to learn about the art of captaincy from Dhoni at the IPL. I’m also looking forward to playing alongside Suresh Raina and Ravindra Jadeja, who are guys that I have admired for a long time and I feel that we play a similar type of cricket. This is a good opportunity to learn a lot from these guys, as well as the great coaches Chennai Super Kings have in Stephen Fleming and Mike Hussey.”

PRI_188393157-760x523.jpg

Sam Curran’s brilliant unbeaten 95 which brought England to within 7 runs of a 330-run target in the final ODI against India has drawn plaudits from around the world. For Moeen, Curran is a man who can change the course of a match and who has a very bright future in the game

“Sam Curran is an amazing talent who has all the cricketing attributes. His personality is the most impressive thing about him, he’s very relaxed and it’s almost like he has been playing at the top level for a long time. He’s awesome, he’s a top player and he’s one of those players who is never out of the game. He can change games, win games and has a very bright future and hopefully he will be around for a long time.”

The recent comments by ECB's director of cricket Ashely Giles regarding the potential loss of England players for national duty if stopped from playing in the IPL may have drawn criticism from some quarters, but Moeen has no qualms in supporting this position.

“Ashley Giles has a very valid point. There is so much cricket out there and the money that people can make from Twenty20 leagues is right up there with international cricket. He’s right in giving players the chance to play in leagues such as the IPL. The ECB has taken some flak for the rotation policy, but they are doing the right thing and I am sure it’s part of their long-term vision. Playing in the IPL right now has to be good preparation for the Twenty20 World Cup this year. Players are getting the chance to play against the best and in Indian conditions and that has to be good for the players and for England’s chances at the World Cup. The likes of Ashley Giles are clued up, they know what they are doing, and they previously made some decisions that people felt weren’t popular, but led to us winning the 50-over World Cup.”

Virat Kohli recently spoke about the dangers of bio-secure bubbles on the mental health of players and his comments have resonated well with Moeen who has praised the ECB for their foresight and rotation policy.

“All the players want to play all the time, but we have to understand particularly in the current climate with bio-secure bubbles and quarantine that it’s important that players do get a break. In India, if I didn’t go home then it would have meant me not seeing my family for 5 months, so that time away from the tour of India was perfect for me. It’s not really a rest physically, it’s more about your mental health and getting some downtime with the family around you, as it’s really tough to be away from your family and stuck on your own for such long periods. The ECB have been fantastic regarding this and I can’t praise them enough.”

An eighteen-month break from Test cricket, then eight wickets in his first match are factors that Moeen Ali is taking as huge positives as he looks forward to renewing his love-affair with the longest format.

“I feel good physically and mentally, I want to be playing Test cricket. I had a bit of a break from Test cricket but now I want to force my way back into the Test side. Jack Leach has done well but I am available and I’m ready and I am hoping that I can be a part of the England Test side going forward. There’s a lot of cricket to be played this summer, anything is possible, and I am keen to be a part of the big Test series coming up this year.”

The England captain came under fire for saying Ali ‘chose to go home’ but the all-rounder insists no harm has been done

By Saj Sadiq

Moeen Ali is adamant that the *furore that blew up after Joe Root said the all-rounder “chose” to leave the Test tour of India was the result of a misunderstanding in what the captain meant.

Moeen left the tour party after the second Test as part of England’s policy of rotating players so as to minimise the mental strain of being in a bio-secure bubble.

After the Test Root said that Moeen had “chosen to go home,” because “it’s obviously been a very tricky tour for him”. It was a different message to the ones publicised after Jos Buttler, Jofra Archer and Ben Stokes took time out from the India tour and the previous series against Sri Lanka. It led to commentators accusing Root of throwing Moeen under the bus and the captain was forced to apologise.

But in a wide-ranging interview with i, in which he gave his opinions on the merits of remaining with the Indian Premier League at the expense of England duty – and his admiration for Sam Curran – Moeen said that Root’s intentions were good and the resulting uproar was unwarranted.

“I know Joe very well, we have a very good relationship, and we are pretty close,” he said. “He contacted me straight away and he said that after the game he had stated that I had chosen to go home, when he shouldn’t have said it.

“We had a good chat and Joe cleared the air. It was more what people made of it that concerned me, because they didn’t know the full story or the truth. People tried to portray what Joe said in a negative way, but our relationship is more important than what people were trying to say or assumed.

“We agreed that as long as we were both cool with each other, everything was fine, and we didn’t care what people were saying. Joe was OK with this and so was I, and we just moved on from it.”

Moeen’s next cricketing assignment is the upcoming Indian Premier League after he was bought by Chennai Super Kings.

The recent comments by the England and Wales director of cricket Ashely Giles regarding the potential loss of England players for national duty if stopped from playing in the IPL may have drawn criticism from some quarters, but Moeen has no qualms in supporting this position.

“Ashley Giles has a very valid point,” Moeen added. “There is so much cricket out there and the money that people can make from Twenty20 leagues is right up there with international cricket.

“He’s right in giving players the chance to play in leagues such as the IPL. The ECB has taken some flak for the rotation policy, but they are doing the right thing and I am sure it’s part of their long-term vision.

“Playing in the IPL right now has to be good preparation for the Twenty20 World Cup this year. Players are getting the chance to play against the best and in Indian conditions and that has to be good for the players and for England’s chances at the World Cup. The likes of Ashley Giles are clued up, they know what they are doing, and they previously made some decisions that people felt weren’t popular, but led to us winning the 50-over World Cup.”

One of the bright spots of the India tour was the emergence of Sam Curran, whose 95 in the final one-day international brought England within touching distance of a series-clinching victory.

For Moeen, Curran is a man who can change the course of a match and who has a very bright future in the game.

“Sam is an amazing talent who has all the cricketing attributes,” he said. “His personality is the most impressive thing about him, he’s very relaxed and it’s almost like he has been playing at the top level for a long time. He’s awesome, he’s a top player and he’s one of those players who is never out of the game. He can change games, win games and has a very bright future and hopefully he will be around for a long time.”

Virat Kohli, the India captain, *recently spoke about the dangers of bio-secure bubbles to the mental health of players and his comments have resonated with Moeen who praised the England and Wales Cricket Board for their foresight in in implementing a rotation policy.

“All the players want to play all the time, but we have to understand, particularly in the current climate with bio-secure bubbles and quarantine, that it’s important that players do get a break.

“In India, if I didn’t go home then it would have meant me not seeing my family for five months, so that time away from the tour of India was perfect for me. It’s not really a rest physically, it’s more about your mental health and getting some downtime with the family around you. The ECB has been fantastic *regarding this and I can’t praise them enough.”

https://inews.co.uk/sport/cricket/moeen-ali-joe-root-india-tour-england-cricket-news-apology-940900

Good that Moeen cleared the air about that Root remark.

I still believe despite NZ playing so well of late, the T20 World Cup is likely to be a battle between India and England.

NZ have a lot of bases covered and a lot of good players, but perhaps conditions might be against them?

I still believe despite NZ playing so well of late, the T20 World Cup is likely to be a battle between India and England.

NZ have a lot of bases covered and a lot of good players, but perhaps conditions might be against them?

We haven't seen New Zealand play T20s outside of their own conditions recently.

Whether the likes of Conway and others can adapt to low bounce subcontinental wickets remains to be seen. Their batting against spin will also be tested.

Well Moeen, you can't write off South Africa either.

Or do you also feel that they are no longer a force to reckon post the retirements of Steyn, ABD and Amla.

Well Moeen, you can't write off South Africa either.

Or do you also feel that they are no longer a force to reckon post the retirements of Steyn, ABD and Amla.

West Indies are probably bigger favourites than some of the teams he named lol

He actually said, ''even bangladesh can be a dangerous team in this format''.

Moeen's 8 wickets in his comeback Test cannot be taken lightly - he is obviously ready for continuing in Tests - England need to persist with him.

Why is no one talking about the West Indies, we will quietly win it again :akhtar

Moeen's 8 wickets in his comeback Test cannot be taken lightly - he is obviously ready for continuing in Tests - England need to persist with him.

He has never had a consistent role in the Team but despite that done pretty decently, he is the best Test all rounder in England after Ben Stokes and arguably the best spinner to, certainly a no brainer when 2 spinners are needed

Chennai Super Kings CEO Kasi Viswanathan quashed all the reports that English all-rounder Moeen Ali had requested for the logo from his match jersey removed. Viswanathan said there is ‘no truth’ to all the media reports making the rounds.

“No truth (in media reports),” CSK CEO told India Today.

Reports that the English cricketer had made a request for the removal of an alcohol brand from his jersey had surfaced. Being a Muslim for whom alcohol is prohibited, Ali has never in the past sported alcohol logos in his national jersey or any domestic equivalent.

The Englishman was bought onboard by CSK for a whopping Rs 7 crore from Royal Challengers Bangalore in the mini-auction held earlier in the year.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news...ishwanathan-confirms-ahead-of-ipl-2021-976513

It remains to be seen if the alcohol brand logo is removed from Moeen Ali's shirt.

He's hoping that they will, but CSK are still looking into it.

I guess the sponsors won't be happy if their logo is removed.

I wouldn't label Eng as a fave either. It's quite silly. India will win in home conditions.

It remains to be seen if the alcohol brand logo is removed from Moeen Ali's shirt.

He's like one of those buddies we all have that has a lot of allergies. Gotto carry him and accommodate him on every little thing. He'll ruin your vacation but atleast you'll feel good that you helped another human being. The next thing is to make sure the advertisement hoardings outside of Moeen's window are changed so he's in a good frame of mind.

Last edited:

Why would CSK come out and deny he ever even made the request?

The media is just trying to add fuel to a fire that doesn't exist. He's playing in the IPL and has Pakistani heritage. So they will do everything to create a controversy and unsettle him.

The Sanghi Incels are already in full flow on twitter equating Moeen to Isis.

He's like one of those buddies we all have that has a lot of allergies. Gotto carry him and accommodate him on every little thing. He'll ruin your vacation but atleast you'll feel good that you helped another human being. The next thing is to make sure the advertisement hoardings outside of Moeen's window are changed so he's in a good frame of mind.

It's a religious thing and religion is very important to some people.

Moeen didn't know initially that it was an alcohol brand.

Last edited:

There’s something called personal beliefs and faith, some have a bit of self respect and those who can comprehend this, also accommodate it; maybe that’s not a normal thing in India considering the human pieces of trash who persecute minorities, but ignoring that, unless one is a waste head, facist, racist or loves to get drunk out of their heads, why is this a problem?

Why would CSK come out and deny he ever even made the request?

The media is just trying to add fuel to a fire that doesn't exist. He's playing in the IPL and has Pakistani heritage. So they will do everything to create a controversy and unsettle him.

The Sanghi Incels are already in full flow on twitter equating Moeen to Isis.

My understanding is that Moeen didn't know it was an alcohol brand and has privately asked them to remove it from his kit if possible and has said that CSK have been very good about it.

Last edited:
There’s something called personal beliefs and faith, some have a bit of self respect and those who can comprehend this, also accommodate it; maybe that’s not a normal thing in India considering the human pieces of trash who persecute minorities, but ignoring that, unless one is a waste head, facist, racist or loves to get drunk out of their heads, why is this a problem?

Personal beliefs and faith are fine. People can practice whatever they want in private and public. But one can't be an exception by being a diva. It's a private organization that gets funds from sponsorships.

The country with the most religious freedom, USA has alcohol brand sponsorships and there a bunch of muslims wearing those jersies. Unless one is a religious chauvinist, selfish one shouldn't care about what a jersey has.

Anyway, I'm surprised CSK has granted an exception already. India is being tolerant here. Let's hope players from other religions don't take advantage of CSK's generosity by making outlandish requests. Team can't have more than one diva.

Bit of a storm caused by Bangladeshi Writer Taslima Nasreen's tweet which she later removed - supposedly in response to rumours that Moeen Ali had asked for an alcohol logo to be removed from his, Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise, Chennai Super Kings’ jersey.

Capture.JPG

As expected there was a strong reaction to this tweet but Taslima then tweeted to say she was being sarcastic...but don't think England cricketers were too impressed by that.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sarcastic? You have a sick sense of humour <a href="https://t.co/u4KnIB1I7w">https://t.co/u4KnIB1I7w</a></p>— Saqib Mahmood (@SaqMahmood25) <a href="https://twitter.com/SaqMahmood25/status/1379459734349185030?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 6, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
Shameful stuff especially when you think of how many times Donald trumps been deleted off twitter

Its not a big thing.. i believe if somebody dont like to certain logo they can remove it, but they also wont get their sponsorship fee..

Its not a big thing.. i believe if somebody dont like to certain logo they can remove it, but they also wont get their sponsorship fee..

I don't think he will go hungry if they deduct one of the sponsorship fees from him during the IPL.

Bit of a storm caused by Bangladeshi Writer Taslima Nasreen's tweet which she later removed - supposedly in response to rumours that Moeen Ali had asked for an alcohol logo to be removed from his, Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise, Chennai Super Kings’ jersey.

View attachment 108429

As expected there was a strong reaction to this tweet but Taslima then tweeted to say she was being sarcastic...but don't think England cricketers were too impressed by that.

View attachment 108430

View attachment 108431

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sarcastic? You have a sick sense of humour <a href="https://t.co/u4KnIB1I7w">https://t.co/u4KnIB1I7w</a></p>— Saqib Mahmood (@SaqMahmood25) <a href="https://twitter.com/SaqMahmood25/status/1379459734349185030?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 6, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What a disgusting human being, she should have her Twitter as well as other accounts blocked, Moeen Ali is not selling his morals for anyone and if i recall Amla asked that the Castle logo be removed whenever he represented South Africa. Just apologise to Moeen and accept you made a mistake, stubbornness at it's finest.

It's a very big deal, how would a Hindu react if he had a logo of a steak company on his shirt? Would he be happy to represent that.

Hashim Amla also asked for his Castle Larger logo to be removed when he played for South Africa, Moeen is well within his right to ask for removal of the logo and you should respect a person's wishes as opposed to saying it's "not a big thing".

It's a very big deal, how would a Hindu react if he had a logo of a steak company on his shirt? Would he be happy to represent that.

Hashim Amla also asked for his Castle Larger logo to be removed when he played for South Africa, Moeen is well within his right to ask for removal of the logo and you should respect a person's wishes as opposed to saying it's "not a big thing".

I have never heard of any player reacting to a steak company logo. Anyway, it appears just having a logo is a big deal. Moeen asked for it, CSK honored it. Case closed

View attachment 108429

View attachment 108430

View attachment 108431

Legend Archer is back!! Did she make this comment because of the beer logo?

I have never heard of any player reacting to a steak company logo. Anyway, it appears just having a logo is a big deal. Moeen asked for it, CSK honored it. Case closed

Cows are sacred in Hinduism and it would be offensive and against their practise, similarly goes for Islam with the promotion of alcohol, that's the point i was making.

View attachment 108429

View attachment 108430

View attachment 108431

People like this are just plain stupid. This is what the absence of meaning and a lack of morals does to you. Hope she gets cancelled.

My understanding is that Moeen didn't know it was an alcohol brand and has privately asked them to remove it from his kit if possible and has said that CSK have been very good about it.

I believe Imran Tahir simply covered it with tape or something in the past. Funnily enough, all these alcohol brands pretend to be CD companies on television adverts because you cannot openly advertise alcohol in India.

Personal beliefs and faith are fine. People can practice whatever they want in private and public. But one can't be an exception by being a diva. It's a private organization that gets funds from sponsorships.

The country with the most religious freedom, USA has alcohol brand sponsorships and there a bunch of muslims wearing those jersies. Unless one is a religious chauvinist, selfish one shouldn't care about what a jersey has.

Anyway, I'm surprised CSK has granted an exception already. India is being tolerant here. Let's hope players from other religions don't take advantage of CSK's generosity by making outlandish requests. Team can't have more than one diva.

think about it

The private org makes money from sponsorship, if they don't like it they can kick out the player

clearly they think the player is adding more value to the team so they agree to his demands regardless whats the issue here?

Extremely poor statement. Disgusting one tbh.

But i personally don't agree with Moeen's i can't wear that logo stand. Both CSK and RCB allowed him to not wear the logo, may be because forcing him would have been extremely poor PR. But i dont agree with this. Will he also refuse to take the money part of which will come from the alcohol company? RCB in totality is owned by a alcohol company.

Cows are sacred in Hinduism and it would be offensive and against their practise, similarly goes for Islam with the promotion of alcohol, that's the point i was making.

I get that. There are many vegetarians in Indian team. I'd be reacting the same way if a veggie cricketer objects to a meat serving restaurant logo on his shirt. These are trivial issues.

I get that. There are many vegetarians in Indian team. I'd be reacting the same way if a veggie cricketer objects to a meat serving restaurant logo on his shirt. These are trivial issues.

trivial issues??? It's a big deal if you are Muslim, I have been offered to work for an alcohol company many a time but have objected due to religious beliefs and that's not how i want to earn my money by helping an alcohol company in any way.

Please stop calling a person's belief trivial.

trivial issues??? It's a big deal if you are Muslim, I have been offered to work for an alcohol company many a time but have objected due to religious beliefs and that's not how i want to earn my money by helping an alcohol company in any way.

Please stop calling a person's belief trivial.

Moeen played for RCB that's owned by United Spirits. That's the second largest spirits (alcohol) ompany in the world by volume.

Moeen played for RCB that's owned by United Spirits. That's the second largest spirits (alcohol) ompany in the world by volume.

Hmmm struggling to answer that now, but still you don't want it on your shirt. I know i wouldn't

Actually Royal Challengers Bangalore is named after their best selling alcohol brand Royal Challenge.

Really not sure what the fuss is about. Moeen asked, it was obliged. Or just as Tahir did, Put a tape on it.

Personal beliefs should be respected. CSK surely would have accommodated his request.

I have a thing about never working for gambling companies in Software, and I just politely reject the recruiter, and they also understand.

Same thing here.

Kudos to CSK for accommodating Moeen's beliefs, well done.
Lets move on to discussing the real thing - the T20WC.
My gut feel says Pak and WI are real hot runners and much better than at least 3 out of the SENA teams out there. Its SC conditions and both these teams traditionally fare well.
T20 does even it out and it can all come down to one brilliant spell of bowling or inspired bowling change, or fielding effort or a spell of sustained madness that can tide u over.
Hope fully we manage IPL first with the virus situation....lets come out of that properly.

Hmmm struggling to answer that now, but still you don't want it on your shirt. I know i wouldn't

Lets admit it - that was hypocritical from MA. He had no problem in the past getting paid by a franchise which is funded by liquor sale, but now wants to adopt a holier than thou attitude. Anyway good of CSK (& their sponsors) to accomodate him though.

But moving back to the main topic, i agree - Pak, Aus & Nz are strong contenders to the cup. We know India can choke up in important games & i feel England is also a pretty one-dimensional team (apart from Root, pretty much everybody goes boom or bust). Other teams have an equal chance of making it to the finals.

You misread what i said.. i meant removing logo shouldnt make a big fuss.. if player dont want it they can remove it..

Did Moeen put these conditions before the auction?

You have Imran Tahir and Amla as another candidate who refused the logo on SA jersey. Why not Moen. He is providing service to his team. Team accommodates a client (in all business environment). It makes perfect sense if you remove "mera bharat mahan" cap off for a second.

You have Imran Tahir and Amla as another candidate who refused the logo on SA jersey. Why not Moen. He is providing service to his team. Team accommodates a client (in all business environment). It makes perfect sense if you remove "mera bharat mahan" cap off for a second.

Player is not a client, he is a employee. Can a employee say he will work with X client and not with Y client?

Again, a team will likely acede to sych request to avoid bad PR and backlash. But to me this isnt professional behaviour.

Player is not a client, he is a employee. Can a employee say he will work with X client and not with Y client?

Again, a team will likely acede to sych request to avoid bad PR and backlash. But to me this isnt professional behaviour.

why are they picking that player when everyone knows that Moeen will do something like that?
its not a new phenomenon is it

if they had a problem they wouldn't have picked him in the auction

Extremely poor statement. Disgusting one tbh.

But i personally don't agree with Moeen's i can't wear that logo stand. Both CSK and RCB allowed him to not wear the logo, may be because forcing him would have been extremely poor PR. But i dont agree with this. Will he also refuse to take the money part of which will come from the alcohol company? RCB in totality is owned by a alcohol company.

Very good point. I don't want to judge Moeen because I don't know his intentions but it surely does seem hypocritical and a lot of Muslims are guilty of this. Theoretically speaking, I'm not sure if his earning is Halal per se because its coming from a background of alcohol. That being said, its totally his own choice and we shouldn't judge him.

why are they picking that player when everyone knows that Moeen will do something like that?
its not a new phenomenon is it

if they had a problem they wouldn't have picked him in the auction

Fair point, if he is negotiating that financially and sponsors, his team management and other organizers are ok with it, I don’t see a problem.

However in a larger context, a brewery can be set up in the islamic republic of Pakistan because it is good for economy but it is haraam for a player to advertise a company that generates millions of jobs, pays taxes etc where no one is actually forcing him to partake in any activity.

I find this convenient flexibility or this phobia when it comes to alcohol funny. Alcohol is bad for you is common sense and there are plenty of teetotalers out there who don’t need religion or get hung up on alcohol on every meaningless things.

The franchise is claiming that Moeen never asked for the logo to be removed.

==

Chennai Super Kings CEO Kasi Vishwanathan has denied reports claiming Moeen Ali made a request to the franchise to remove an alcohol brand logo from his match jersey ahead of IPL 2021.

Reports claimed that Moeen wanted the SNJ 10000 logo removed from his CSK match jersey as it is a surrogate product brand of Chennai-based SNJ Distilleries.

But Kasi Vishwanathan told India Today that these reports aren't true and there hasn't been any request from the England all-rounder of this kind.

“No truth (in media reports),” CSK Chief Executive Officer Kasi Vishwanathan confirmed to India Today when he was asked about Moeen's alleged request.

Moeen doesn't support logos of alcohol brands on any of his jerseys, be it for England or any other domestic side he plays for around the world. Moeen Ali is a practising Muslim and his faith forbids him from consuming alcohol.

CSK bought the 33-year-old for a whopping Rs 7 crore at the IPL 2021 auction in February. This is Moeen's second IPL franchise after Royal Challengers Bangalore, with whom he played for 3 seasons since 2018.

Moeen has played 19 IPL matches so far, scoring 309 runs and picked 10 wickets. Last month Moeen expressed his excitement at playing under former India captain MS Dhoni at CSK this season.

"I've spoken to players who have played under MS and they tell me how he improves their game. I believe a great captain does that," Moeen was quoted as saying by the CSK website.

"I think it's something on every player's wish list to play under MS. I think it's the confidence and the clarity he gives people. It's exciting," he added.

Three-time champions Chennai Super Kings will be opening their IPL 2021 campaign against Rishabh Pant's Delhi Capitals on April 10 at the Wankhede stadium in Mumbai.

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/ip...kasi-vishwanathan-ipl-2021-1787303-2021-04-05

Last edited by a moderator:

You gotta realize it is a two way street. Moen provides the service, the team (or in this case employer) reaps the rewards. Both came to a mutual understanding, so who are we to say who is right or wrong. Usually, in a world where everyone is equal (I know indians don't see Muslims as equals), such requests are always granted by employers. I can give you several examples from past where a request has been granted to employee by the employers. Your sheer hate for Muslims and Moen is blinding you from seeing the situation.
In the end it gives an impression that you are blaming the victim, post tweet. It is like someone saying that holocaust was Jews' fault (just an example). You see what I am saying here?

You gotta realize it is a two way street. Moen provides the service, the team (or in this case employer) reaps the rewards. Both came to a mutual understanding, so who are we to say who is right or wrong. Usually, in a world where everyone is equal (I know indians don't see Muslims as equals), such requests are always granted by employers. I can give you several examples from past where a request has been granted to employee by the employers. Your sheer hate for Muslims and Moen is blinding you from seeing the situation.
In the end it gives an impression that you are blaming the victim, post tweet. It is like someone saying that holocaust was Jews' fault (just an example). You see what I am saying here?

Everyone is equal, thats why a muslim should not get any special permission.Muslims are not special people. Such requests are usually granted due to fear of bad PR and backlash.If i take up a job as a cook in a restaurant, i cannot refuse to cook or serve beef, thats not professional.

I know many muslims like yourself believe that you guys deserve special treatment and exception to rules must be made for you, that others must adjust to allow exceptions according to your religious beliefs, and people have been doing it for fear of backlash. I certainly don't believe that any religion is special. All are equal.

These characters like Moeen bring nothing but trouble. They are always moaning and will always find something to have a problem, causing inconvenience to others due to their own fragile faith and insecurities.

He has a problem with sporting a beer logo but he has no issues with playing in front vulgarly dressed cheerleaders and taking salary from franchises that make money from selling alcohols.

When it comes to earning $$$, Islam takes a backseat.

If CSK call his bluff and reject his demand for removing the logo, he will play victim in the media but I bet he will not opt out of the tournament because of the $$$.

If Islam was more important to him than the $$$, he would not playing in front of scantily dressed cheerleaders in the first place.

If he was actually a good player he would be worth the trouble but he is a rubbish cricketer and a complete bottler under pressure.

IPL franchises should pick someone else on foreign quota because they can find a dozen better local spin-bowling all-rounders.

What the hell are you on about? He is not providing the service for free. He is getting paid to provide that service and the money comes from the sponsors. He can always opt to not play but he wouldn't do that would he the money is just too good.

What the hell are you on about? He is not providing the service for free. He is getting paid to provide that service and the money comes from the sponsors. He can always opt to not play but he wouldn't do that would he the money is just too good.

So just because you cannot do 10 things, you shouldn't even do the 9 things which you can?

So just because you cannot do 10 things, you shouldn't even do the 9 things which you can?

Do whatever however, expecting a team to drop its sponsors logo from the shirt is beyond stupid. If it bothers you so much don't play for that team

The insecurity and fragility is incredible. As if the Almighty will punish Moeen for sporting a mere logo on his shirt.

If He is going to punish him for that He will probably punish him for playing in front of half-naked dancing cheerleaders as well.

Also for sharing a table with people who consume alcohol.

Other teams will always have a chance when a player like Moeen is in the England team.

He almost single-handedly destroyed England’s World Cup campaign in 2019 and could do the same again in the WT20.

Other teams will always have a chance when a player like Moeen is in the England team.

He almost single-handedly destroyed England’s World Cup campaign in 2019 and could do the same again in the WT20.

That's your perspective but the England one isn't fuelled by childish agendas, if Mo was rubbish trust me, he wouldn't have played for a great team like England

CSK will pick Sam Curran for the whole season and Moeen will most likely warm the bench.

Lets not kid ourselves here. There is record of indian players not opting to visit places where beef was served. One example that I recall was when Shahid Afridi invited the indian team over. Beef and meat was served without agreeing to any dietary restrictions of some indian players.

Similarly, in the western world, dietary restrictions and personal restrictions are always considered when an employee is hired. My friends are vegan, and usually their office parties have vegan stuff. You can keep on arguing about it but the fact remains the this is the 21st century and religious restrictions are always considered by employers. Maybe you want employers in RSS modi's india to be an exception, which is fine.

Indian players are not employees of Afridi and certainly not under contract to him. They can refuse any invitation from him.

Again, keeping vegan or halal or kosher isnt an obligation, if someone provides it, good on them. Can an employee refuse to come to work stating there is no vegan food in the cafeteria? Can he demand that vegan food be provided? Can he say that he wont work for a client who sells alcohol? Can he refuse to work for a client selling beef?

Indian players are not employees of Afridi and certainly not under contract to him. They can refuse any invitation from him.

Again, keeping vegan or halal or kosher isnt an obligation, if someone provides it, good on them. Can an employee refuse to come to work stating there is no vegan food in the cafeteria? Can he demand that vegan food be provided? Can he say that he wont work for a client who sells alcohol? Can he refuse to work for a client selling beef?

Cafetaria not serving you a particular kind of food, or what a random client does as his hobby/profession, is completely different from publicly promoting a product which goes against your beliefs. How on earth are you equating both?

Will all Hindu and Jain followers happily wear a badge of Meat One (a beef/mutton/chicken selling company based in Pakistan/Dubai, partially owned by Inzi) if Kerala Kings in T10 or an IPL team is sponsored by it?

And to hate-filled guys like Mamoon, etc., who say Moeen is moaning, etc. He has not even made a public statement once, just a police request privately made.

Moeen is one of the nicest guys out there. He has not even made a hue or cry over far worse things, like racist comments thrown at him, death threats received by his club or extremely negative articles written over his beliefs just because he had said he wears his beard as a "label" at the start of his career.

CSK will pick Sam Curran for the whole season and Moeen will most likely warm the bench.

We spent a lot on Moen, why would you spend that much just to bench him? With Dhoni still being captain we know that Bravo and Faf are locks. Stephen Fleming and Dhoni could not stop praising Sam Curran, so that’s 3 overseas players. Don’t see Ngidi and Santner playing unless it’s an emergency. So Moen will definitely start the tournament.

Interesting perspective (very stubborn as well). It is funny because to think of it, your own countrymen don't agree with your logic, especially in the west. For example, if you head out to Amazon office here or IBM, all you smell is curry or turmeric, and the employer is very accommodating, while the indian employees (non-citizens as well) like that aspect as it accommodates them, their beliefs, their culture etc.

Funny how you don't share the same principles as them, any million others in india.

Moeen is well within his rights to make the request.

If CSK refuse to accept it, then obviously Moeen has to take that on board and see what his next move is.

As an Indian fan mostly scared of Windies. India's bogey team in world T20. Lost 3 out of 4 games. NZ is another team. lost both encounters.

having watched Eng in recent series, it feels like NZ runs close.

Logo removed by CSK as per Moeen's request.

826e5c2d-2a8d-4249-9044-f5ede1e26e5e.jpg99e9fc87-8da5-45ed-80c1-d8aeea1fc3e6.jpg

These characters like Moeen bring nothing but trouble. They are always moaning and will always find something to have a problem, causing inconvenience to others due to their own fragile faith and insecurities.

He has a problem with sporting a beer logo but he has no issues with playing in front vulgarly dressed cheerleaders and taking salary from franchises that make money from selling alcohols.

If CSK call his bluff and reject his demand for removing the logo, he will play victim in the media but I bet he will not opt out of the tournament because of the $$$.

If Islam was more important to him than the $$$, he would not playing in front of scantily dressed cheerleaders in the first place.

If he was actually a good player he would be worth the trouble but he is a rubbish cricketer and a complete bottler under pressure.

IPL franchises should pick someone else on foreign quota because they can find a dozen better local spin-bowling all-rounders.

What a disappointing comment. Seriously.

Your assumptions around Moeen in relation to his faith are very uncalled for. This was a guy who i believe turned down an IPL contract one year in order to attend Umrah. As much as i respect a fair few of your posts on here this one is not one of your best.

Your assumptions around Moeen in relation to his faith are very uncalled for. This was a guy who i believe turned down an IPL contract one year in order to attend Umrah. As much as i respect a fair few of your posts on here this one is not one of your best.

If he really cared about his faith he would not have played in front of half-naked cheerleaders in the past. If he is so insecure about his faith that he thinks he will be punished for sporting a logo on his shirt, he should also worry about playing in front of scantily dressed girls.

If CSK called his bluff and refused to cater his demand, he would still be playing. When it comes to $$$, Islam takes a backseat.

Good job by CSK. All these bigots and Islamophobes can keep crying.

Well no one wants bad PR. So it was sensible to do it to avoid backlash.

A more professional man would have kept his religion and work separate.

If he really cared about his faith he would not have played in front of half-naked cheerleaders in the past. If he is so insecure about his faith that he thinks he will be punished for sporting a logo on his shirt, he should also worry about playing in front of scantily dressed girls.

If CSK called his bluff and refused to cater his demand, he would still be playing. When it comes to $$$, Islam takes a backseat.

You know nothing about Islam which is why you're coming up with poor comment after poor comment. Promoting a sinful activity is far worse than doing the sin yourself. Having a logo on your shirt makes you personally responsible for its promotion.

Cheerleaders have nothing to do with Moeen or any other Muslim cricketer which is why no one has any issues playing T20 cricket. Cheerleaders have been a feature in international cricket as well.

Stop judging others and focus on where you stand. Slandering someone is a grievous sin.

Moeen is well within his rights to make the request.

If CSK refuse to accept it, then obviously Moeen has to take that on board and see what his next move is.

Will anyone refuse a request like that and invite bad PR and backlash? These things are more out of compulsion than anything else.

Well no one wants bad PR. So it was sensible to do it to avoid backlash.

A more professional man would have kept his religion and work separate.

Moeen was extremely professional. He lives in the first world where people are free to practice their religion. The only reason this is notable is because it happened in India, during the height of the Modi circus.

Amla did not wear the Castle logo even once during his glittering, long international career. England have been careful with wine bottles around Moeen and Rashid. Tahir has covered the CSK logo with tape.

Last edited:
You know nothing about Islam which is why you're coming up with poor comment after poor comment. Promoting a sinful activity is far worse than doing the sin yourself. Having a logo on your shirt makes you personally responsible for its promotion.

Cheerleaders have nothing to do with Moeen or any other Muslim cricketer which is why no one has any issues playing T20 cricket. Cheerleaders have been a feature in international cricket as well.

Stop judging others and focus on where you stand. Slandering someone is a grievous sin.

So why did Moeen play for a alcohol making company's team? Where did the money to buy tye team come from?

Only a fool will write off Pakistan in ICC tournaments especially if its in either India/England. :inti

Back