Your take on the Faf du Plessis ball-tampering claims

Major

T20I Star
Runs
Post of the Week
What is your guys opinion on this matter. Did he do it or not?

Because remember one thing, ICC does not charge a captain or player for ball tempering unless it has certain proof. So in this matter they have credibility.

Now the Cricket South Africa players have come together, and have said that the ball tempering allegations on their captain are false.

The group of players were led by Hashim Amla today in a press conference, where Amla and the South African team defend their captain Faf du Plessis over ball-tampering claims

Now to get the whole team behind you like is a big step, if one is innocent.

So whats your take?

It's nothing

Needless

His shenanigans with the zipper against Pakistan were cheating but this is just saliva and saliva is never 100% pure anyway

I think South Africa's reaction to it is suspiciously defensive. What Faf did is against the rules and if there really was no malicious intent he should confess and accept the punishment without fuss. This big show they're making out if it suggests to me that ball tampering is a part of the team culture and they have gone into full damage control mode.

I think South Africa's reaction to it is suspiciously defensive. What Faf did is against the rules and if there really was no malicious intent he should confess and accept the punishment without fuss. This big show they're making out if it suggests to me that ball tampering is a part of the team culture and they have gone into full damage control mode.

I agree with this.

We don't know fully whether he did it intentionally or not, but we do not what he might have done accidentally is still illegal, and he should face the consequences for it.

He 100% did it but he should not be suspended for it.

He did put intentionally put saliva on the ball but I don't think that is cheating should be allowed to apply it.

Saffas are stupid enough to get caught time and time again while others do it more sensibly

And that Amla press conference was hilarious. He made a complete blunder

"Do you want me to brush my teeth after eating lunch?"

Lol

Honestly I never knew putting saliva on the ball

In the 90s I remember bowlera from EVERY team openly putting saliva on their fingers and then rubbing the shiny side with it

I know the issue here is the mint or gum or whatever but what's to say before they had nothing in their mouth. Also it's literally impossible to ensure this. Every other player is chewing some gum anyway so how do you check they don't use it

Saffas are stupid enough to get caught time and time again while others do it more sensibly

Lol
It's not even a big deal

It's not like you're are using nails or teeth :)lala)

I can GUARANTEE a bowler won't take many extra wickets due to this over the course of his career

I have a problem with this. Pakistan doesn't get such benefit of the doubt historically. Sure you can change the rules etc and legalize some of the stuff. But for now, if you do something wrong (second offense after zippergate) you should be punished.

It's not even a big deal

It's not like you're are using nails or teeth :)lala)

I can GUARANTEE a bowler won't take many extra wickets due to this over the course of his career

Yes, it benefits the bowler greatly. If the Australians were inept at batting this series, that doesn't make it ok.

Yes, it benefits the bowler greatly. If the Australians were inept at batting this series, that doesn't make it ok.
Not really

Bottle tops or nails or whatever makes significant difference

This is nowhere as much impact

Lol

I haven't seen it but English and Australian reporters were making fun of the conference and the Saffers keeping serious faces behind Amla on twitter..

Faf did nothing wrong this time around, you can't go policing the contents of players' saliva. Amla made that clear enough when he asked if he should be made to brish his teeth after every lunch session or when he said that thr players need to stay hydrated and are eating small snacks all the time.

Faf made it pretty obvious which was his only mistake.

Not really

Bottle tops or nails or whatever makes significant difference

This is nowhere as much impact
That's not correct. reverse swing is done by (a) making one side rough (b) making the otherwise shin or shinier and (c) making the shiny side heavier loaded with sweat or saliva.

Faf did nothing wrong this time around, you can't go policing the contents of players' saliva. Amla made that clear enough when he asked if he should be made to brish his teeth after every lunch session or when he said that thr players need to stay hydrated and are eating small snacks all the time.

Faf made it pretty obvious which was his only mistake.
Oh well if Amla says so, it must be right.

It was pretty obvious in the video. Let's also not forget that Faf is a repeat offender.

I think these type of tactics are pretty common but Faf was making it way too obvious... you don't see cricketers stuffing their fingers into their mouth every day in that manner.

Interested to see how ICC deal with it.

If he was a black South African a much bigger deal would have been made about it especially by former cricketers and the likes of abdv

I haven't seen it but English and Australian reporters were making fun of the conference and the Saffers keeping serious faces behind Amla on twitter..

Well Amla was being ridiculous.. "Oh is it proven to be effective? It's new to us"

ROFL! Here is a video

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IlYSsoVj4lc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
ICC needs to be consistent and not allow anyone to do the same while chewing gums. That's a foreign substance as well. ICC is just picking on Faf here. If you apply this kind of rule then majority of cricketers should be suspended. I have no issue with Faf facing suspension as long as ICC is consistent about it.

In all fairness Aussie players, match referee or umpires haven't filed a complaint but it's Aussie media coming after them and ICC is forced to respond.

Considering Faf has a history, it makes the case more complicated.

Faf would hate this.. He hasn't had a good run lately and if he gates suspended for an upcoming test and if his replacement (most likely Rilee Rossouw) does well, that can directly influence his place in the team.

So his career is pretty much on line here.

ICC needs to be consistent and not allow anyone to do the same while chewing gums. That's a foreign substance as well. ICC is just picking on Faf here. If you apply this kind of rule then majority of cricketers should be suspended. I have no issue with Faf facing suspension as long as ICC is consistent about it.
Agree completely with you, Whether Faf was doing intentionally or not, there is no reason to suspend him for his past history. Icc should make a clear cut rule and each and every player should be treated same and Faf should not be picked alone.
Hell I remember Dravid rubbing jelly on ball and he got way against Zimbabwe. Ganguly got 3 wickets in that match and ball was swinging big way after Dravid act. Faf should not be punished for applying Saliva when Dravid was not even fined for that disgusting act.

Because he's vice captain?

He's not the vice captain. de Villiers is the captain, Faf is his deputy and took over for this series because AB is MIA.

Amla was speaking because he's one of the most respected cricketers out there and when he uses words like "joke" and "ridiculous", it actually means something.

Should be suspended. It's the second time he's been caught so can't complain if he does get a ban.

I think he is not guilty, this is an absolute joke man... Cricket Australia hiding their deficiencies by making their media watch dog to create a perception of getting cheated on their home turf.. ridiculous

To be honest we really need to treat players from all countries fairly. Anyone who breaks a particular rule should be fined the same amount as someone else.

I think he is not guilty, this is an absolute joke man... Cricket Australia hiding their deficiencies by making their media watch dog to create a perception of getting cheated on their home turf.. ridiculous

Cricket Australia never even complained.

Agree completely with you, Whether Faf was doing intentionally or not, there is no reason to suspend him for his past history. Icc should make a clear cut rule and each and every player should be treated same and Faf should not be picked alone.
Hell I remember Dravid rubbing jelly on ball and he got way against Zimbabwe. Ganguly got 3 wickets in that match and ball was swinging big way after Dravid act. Faf should not be punished for applying Saliva when Dravid was not even fined for that disgusting act.

rules and their seriousness have changed over time

Cricket Australia never even complained.

Not referring to Cricket Australia but their media, who has hyped this to no ends.. They have had something to talk about, their pundits and ex cricketers

Back