Zimbabwe tour of Bangladesh (2024)

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Bangladesh boost T20WC 2024 preparation with Zimbabwe series

Bangladesh will host Zimbabwe for a five-game T20I series between 3-12 May in the leadup to the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2024.

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) have announced the schedule for a five-game T20I series against Zimbabwe with the African side arriving in the country on 28 April.

These matches will help the Tigers fine-tune their skills ahead of the all-important T20 World Cup 2024. Bangladesh are also due to play a three-game T20I series against the USA later in the same month.

The first three games of the series will be played in Chattogram, while the last two T20Is will be played in Mirpur.

**Schedule for the five-game T20I series:

**28 April, 2024: Zimbabwe Team arrive in Dhaka and travel to Chattogram
3 May, 2024: 1st T20I, ZACS, Chattogram (6 PM)
5 May, 2024: 2nd T20I, ZACS, Chattogram (6 PM)
7 May, 2024: 3rd T20I, ZACS, Chattogram (3 PM)
10 May, 2024: 4th T20I, SBNCS, Mirpur (6 PM)
12 May, 2024: 5th T20I, SBNCS, Mirpur (10 AM)
13 May, 2024: Zimbabwe Team depart

All timings are as per Bangladesh Standard Time (BST)

In related news, BCB and Zimbabwe Cricket agreed to move their two-match bilateral Test series in Bangladesh, originally scheduled for 2024 to 2025. This will be the first Test series between the sides since 2018.

Bangladesh are currently hosting Sri Lanka for a multi-format tour.

ICC

Zimbabwe name squad for T20I series in Bangladesh

Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) has announced a 15-man squad for Zimbabwe’s tour to Bangladesh for a five-match Twenty20 international (T20I) series in May.

Captained by Sikandar Raza, the side includes one uncapped player, Johnathan Campbell, while Tadiwanashe Marumani and Faraz Akram have been recalled.

The rest of the selected players were part of the squad for Zimbabwe’s last T20I series away to Sri Lanka in January.

They include the veterans Craig Ervine and Sean Williams, pacemen Richard Ngarava and Blessing Muzarabani as well as the young guns Clive Madande and Brian Bennett.

Madande, Bennett and Campbell were part of the Zimbabwe emerging men’s team that won the gold medal at the 13th African Games in Ghana in March.

With ZC yet to appoint a new head coach, Stuart Matsikenyeri will be in charge of Zimbabwe against Bangladesh.

The two sides will play the first three T20Is in Chattogram on 3, 5 and 7 May, before concluding the series in Dhaka with matches set for 10 and 12 May.

ZIMBABWE SQUAD FOR T20I SERIES VERSUS BANGLADESH

Raza Sikandar (captain), Akram Faraz, Bennett Brian, Burl Ryan, Campbell Johnathan, Ervine Craig, Gumbie Joylord, Jongwe Luke, Madande Clive, Marumani Tadiwanashe, Masakadza Wellington, Muzarabani Blessing, Ndlovu Ainsley, Ngarava Richard, Williams Sean

SOURCE: ZIMBABWE CRICKET

Shakib clears the air about his availability

Shakib Al Hasan’s availability for Bangladesh’s five-match Twenty20 International series against Zimbabwe was under the cloud, but the all-rounder wiped away all those speculations by saying that he will play the final three matches of the series.

Despite national team chief selector Gazi Ashraf Hossain Lipu stating that Shakib will be available for the Zimbabwe series, rumours about the left-hander returning to Bangladesh from USA – where he was with his family – to play in the ongoing Dhaka Premier Division Cricket League 2024 instead of the Zimbabwe series were circulating in the country’s cricketing fraternity.

However, while speaking at a programme in USA, Shakib revealed that he would indeed play the DPL, but only to prepare himself for the Zimbabwe series, where he will be playing three games.

‘Of course I will play in the Zimbabwe series. There are confusions in Bangladesh that I will not play the whole series to play DPL. I actually talked to the coach [Chandika Hathurusingha] and captain [Najmul Hossain Shanto] beforehand,’ he said in USA on Thursday.

‘Coach told me that playing two matches was enough, but the selectors and captain asked me to play three matches. I said no problem.’

Shakib added that he will be playing two matches in the DPL – where he had played three matches for Sheikh Jamal Dhanmondi Club earlier in the season – before the Zimbabwe series as part of his preparations.

‘These decisions are taken through discussions, not by my wish. As there are two DPL matches before the last three matches against Zimbabwe, there is a chance to play them as it will help me prepare better. That is why I will play these matches. Nothing else,’ the all-rounder said.

The five-match series will begin in Chattogram on May 3.

SOURCE: https://www.newagebd.net/post/cricket/233564/shakib-clears-the-air-about-his-availability

Fast bowling all-rounder returns to Bangladesh T20I squad for Zimbabwe series

With the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2024 in focus, the squad is bolstered by the addition of Saifuddin, who has played 34 T20Is for Bangladesh, the last of which came in October 2022.

Bangladesh have named a strong squad for the first three T20Is of the series against Zimbabwe next month.
Bangladesh have recalled fast bowling all-rounder Mohammad Saifuddin to the T20I squad for the series against Zimbabwe in May.

Saifuddin returns after a long injury layoff and recently featured for Fortune Barishal in their title winning campaign in the Bangladesh Premier League.

The squad, led by Najmul Hossain Shanto, is without Shakib Al Hasan, but the all-rounder is expected to play a part in the latter half of the series.

After the 2023 ODI World Cup concluded in November, Shakib took a break due to an eye condition and a finger injury. He returned to international cricket in the Chattogram Test against Sri Lanka earlier this month.

Bangladesh will play the first three T20Is against Zimbabwe in Chattogram on May 3, 5, and 7. The final two T20Is will be held in Dhaka on May 10 and 12.

Bangladesh squad for first three T20Is: Najmul Hossain Shanto (c), Litton Kumer Das, Tanzid Hasan Tamim, Tawhid Hridoy, Mahmudullah, Jaker Ali Anik, Shak Mahedi Hasan, Rishad Hossain, Taskin Ahmed, Shoriful Islam, Tanzim Hasan Sakib, Parvez Hossain Emon, Tanvir Islam, Afif Hossain, Mohammad Saifuddin.

Source: ICC

Zimbabwe and Bangladesh are set to face each other in the 1st T20I of the series at Chattogram.

Cannot see the name of Shakib in the squad. Is he not playing?

If Sikandar Raza doesn't perform, Zimbabwe has no other player to anchor the innings.

INNINGS BREAK

1st T20I (N), Chattogram, Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh

Zimbabwe 124/10 (20 ov)

Bangladesh showed dominating characters both in bat and bowl as they convincingly defeated Zimbabwe by eight wickets in the first game of the five-match T20 series.

Tanzid Hasan Tamim and Towhid Hridoy played entertaining innings while chasing 125 runs at Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury Stadium in Chattogram on Friday, overtaking the target keeping 28 balls in hand.

The rain arrived twice taking a shortest break but did not last long, and the game resumed to have a result. Skipper Najmul Hossain Shanto added 21 runs on the board.

Blessing Muzarabani and Luke Jongwe took one wicket each for Zimbabwe.

Earlier, Bangladeshi bowlers came up with devastating spells to bowl Zimbabwe out for a meager score of 124 runs. The trio - Taskin Ahmed, Mohammad Saifuddin and Mahedi Hasan - tightly bowled, forcing the visitors to lose all of their wickets.

Being asked to bat, Zimbabwe started well but all of a sudden lost momentum offering six wickets within just five runs, standing at 41/7 after 7.4 overs.

However, Zimbabwe did not let it go so easily as Clive Madande and Wellington Masakadza made a 75-run stand in the eighth wicket which provided them to post a below per score of 124 runs losing all wickets after 20 overs.

Taskin and Saifuddin bagged three wickets each for Bangladesh while Mahedi Hasan got two.

Zimbabwe did lose the first game but they can make a comeback today. 2nd t20 will be on in about 3 hours. But I think that Bangladesh is too strong for them.

Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe, 2nd T20I at Chattogram​

Toss Update: Bangladesh won the toss and elected to bowl first

Zimbabwe always seems to struggle if Sikandar Raza doesn't perform

AMmikFI.png

Towhid Hridoy played a pivotal role, top-scoring with 37 runs as Bangladesh secured a convincing six-wicket victory in the second T20I against Zimbabwe in Chittagong, taking a 2-0 lead in the five-match series.

After restricting Zimbabwe to 138-7, Bangladesh chased down the target comfortably, reaching 142-4 in 18.3 overs despite rain interruptions.

Opener Liton Das and skipper Najmul Hossain Shanto provided a solid start before rain briefly halted play.

Luke Jongwe's double strike put Bangladesh under pressure, but Hridoy and Mahmudullah Riyad steadied the innings with a crucial 49-run partnership for the fifth wicket.

Earlier, debutant Johnathan Campbell impressed for Zimbabwe with 45 runs off 24 balls, forming a crucial partnership with Brian Bennett to rescue the team from a precarious position at 42-5.

Despite Campbell's efforts, Bangladesh bowlers Taskin Ahmed and Rishad Hossain made significant contributions, claiming two wickets each to restrict Zimbabwe's total.

The win in the second T20I follows Bangladesh's eight-wicket victory in the series opener. The teams will meet again at the same venue for the third match on Tuesday.

Bangladesh is currently dominating Zimbabwe at home having won 2 t20 games already. Today will be the third T20 game of the series between the 2 teams.

I think Bangladesh is going to win this one as well and secure the series. They are a force to reckon with at their own backyard.

Bangladesh sealed the series in style with an unassailable lead of 3-0 in 5 match series against Zimbabwe.

Bangladesh overwhelmed Zimbabwe at home with tailenders Faraz Akram and Blessing Muzarabani dismissed in quick succession to clinch the T20I series in the third game in Chattogram. They won by nine runs on Tuesday, with two matches left to play in Dhaka.

Akram, playing only his fifth T20I, struck an unbeaten 34 off 19 balls after the visitors had crashed to 91 for 8 chasing 166. The 54 runs he added with Wellington Masakadza was a new Zimbabwe record for the ninth wicket. Akram's 34 was also Zimbabwe's highest by a No. 10 batter.

Muzarabani, who took career-best figures of 3 for 14 earlier, struck two fours when Zimbabwe needed 21 in the final over. But Saifuddin snuffed out the trouble with some accurate death-overs bowling.

Zimbabwe produced lower-order runs for the third game in a row, especially when the rest sunk quickly. Bangladesh once again had Towhid Hridoy play a crucial hand in a win. Hridoy's maiden T20I fifty came during an 87-run fourth wicket stand with Jaker Ali, who made 44. This pair had to lift Bangladesh after they lost three wickets in the first nine overs.

Star all-rounder makes T20I return weeks before T20 World Cup following a long hiatus

A big boost for Bangladesh as their ace spin-bowling all-rounder, Shakib Al Hasan, is set to make his T20I comeback after 10 months, just weeks before the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 begins.

Shakib, who last made his T20I appearance in July 2023 in a home series against Afghanistan, has been named in Bangladesh’s squad for the last two T20Is against Zimbabwe.

Bangladesh have taken an unassailable lead of 3-0 in the ongoing five-match series.

'A legend of the game': Shakib Al Hasan | T20 World Cup
The all-rounder’s return to the T20I mix is a significant boost for the team ahead of the Men’s T20 World Cup in the West Indies and USA, as Shakib is their most experienced player in the tournament's history.

Shakib featured in the inaugural edition of the tournament in 2007, and is also among the few players to have made appearances in all the editions so far.

The 37-year-old carries the experience of 117 T20Is, with 2382 runs and 140 wickets to his name. Bangladesh are yet to unveil their squad for the 2024 event, and Shakib's timely return is a positive indication of his inclusion in the T20 World Cup squad.

Bangladesh squad for 4th and 5th T20I: Najmul Hossain Shanto (c), Litton Kumer Das, Tanzid Hasan Tamim, Shakib Al Hasan, Tawhid Hridoy, Mahmud Ullah, Jaker Ali Anik, Shak Mahedi Hasan, Rishad Hossain, Taskin Ahmed, Mustafizur Rahman, Tanzim Hasan Sakib, Soumya Sarkar, Tanvir Islam, Shaif Uddin

Experienced batter Soumya Sarkar and pacer Mustafizur Rahman, who missed the first three games of the ongoing assignment, are also named in the squad for the remaining games.

Among the absentees are Parvez Hossain Emon and Afif Hossain, who both miss out, while fast-bowler Shoriful Islam has been rested.

The final two games of the series will take place in Mirpur on 10 and 12 May respectively.

Source: ICC

Back