“I’m hopeful that we will end our losing streak against India in World Cup matches" : Inzamam-ul-Haq

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
“I’m hopeful that we will end our losing streak against India in World Cup matches" : Inzamam-ul-Haq

Pakistan Chief Selector Inzamamul Haq believes that Men in Green will end their losing streak against India in World Cup matches.

While talking to Cricket Pakistan in an exclusive interview, Inzamam said that, Pakistan who have lost all six matches they have played against their arch-rivals India in previous matches of the mega event, will finally get their breakthrough victory at the 2019 International Cricket Council (ICC) World Cup in England and Wales.

“People take Indo-Pak match very seriously and some even go on to say that we will be happy even if only win against India during the World Cup,” said Inzamam. “I’m hopeful that we will end our losing streak against India in World Cup matches.”

The former Pakistan batsman also spoke about the pressure which comes with selecting a squad for the national side.

“People think it is easy to jot down 14-15 players in order to form a squad but it’s nothing like that because there is a lot of pressure,” he said. “For example it was very difficult for us to select fast-bowlers for the World Cup because there were a lot of good names around including the likes of Amir, Junaid and Shinwari.”

The 49-year-old also spoke about the threat posed by minnows like Afghanistan during the upcoming mega event.

“I think we should not take any team lightly during the World Cup,” he said. “Teams like Afghanistan can upset some of the bigger teams. Even if you play, for instance, against Afghanistan or England, you get the same value with two points.”

Inzamam also spoke about the importance of getting off to a good start in the World Cup.

“Getting off to a good start is important and I think our team has the ability to do that,” he said.

Inzamam also defended the selections he made in the World Cup squad, namely pacers Mohammad Hasnain and Wahab Riaz.

“Like I said before Hasnain’s pace, who can touch 150 kph, would add a new dimension to our bowling attack because the rest of the bowlers penetrate only around the 130-140 kph mark,” he said. “Meanwhile Wahab’s experience will help the side and especially if the ball is reversing a bit.”

He also revealed his picks for the semi-final spots of the World Cup.

“I think England, as they are the number one side in the world, India, because of the balance of their side, New Zealand, as they have played good cricket in the build up to the event, and of course Pakistan will be my final four,” he said.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/n...world-cup-losing-streak-against-india-inzamam

Which losing streak is he on about ?
Not sure he should commit to that much before the tournament even starts

There’s two losing streaks on the line right now.

I hope he’s not talking about our recent losing streak:yk

reading the thread title I thought this guy was talking about the current losing streak..lol I thought he already recognized that Pak will lose the first 4 matches :pfft

I think Pakistan will end both loosing streaks with Indian match. Current as well as world cups one

So he's end our losing streak against india. Which means our current streak will end when have 15 losses in a row.

Our team cannot even win against weak Afghanistan after so many catch drops, stamping and misfielding and Inzi wants to win over India with this pathetic bowling and batting line up. Joke of the day!!!!

In 3.5 years he couldn't even find a decent young batsman and a spinner shows how incompetent this guy his. Need to be kicked out after the World Cup debacle.

In 3.5 years he couldn't even find a decent young batsman and a spinner shows how incompetent this guy his. Need to be kicked out after the World Cup debacle.

He already gave you one he had in family. What else you need.

Indians will be thanking him for destroying Pakistan's domestic batting talent in the last 3 years.

World over selectors make, nurture, get the best and the best out of cricketers. This nepotistic fake has been using all his efforts to push, protect and shield Malik, Hafeez, Akmals[Azam] and Imam.

I thought PCB had banned family and friends of cricketers, yeh uncle kaise pohanchgaye to help his nephew against the team management. Shameless individual, whether as captain or chief selector. He should'nt be sacked only, an investigation [on his nepotism and conflict of interest issues] should follow. He should pay for the careers he has destroyed from Asim Kamal, to Fawad Alam and Abid Ali.

Too much time spent thinlking about the india match. We should only care about qualifying for semis. This means take one game at a time and try to win that game. Winning against india is no more important than winning against the other 8 teams!

Indians will be thanking him for destroying Pakistan's domestic batting talent in the last 3 years.

World over selectors make, nurture, get the best and the best out of cricketers. This nepotistic fake has been using all his efforts to push, protect and shield Malik, Hafeez, Akmals[Azam] and Imam.

I thought PCB had banned family and friends of cricketers, yeh uncle kaise pohanchgaye to help his nephew against the team management. Shameless individual, whether as captain or chief selector. He should'nt be sacked only, an investigation [on his nepotism and conflict of interest issues] should follow. He should pay for the careers he has destroyed from Asim Kamal, to Fawad Alam and Abid Ali.

Asim, Fawad and Abid were/are awful.

Imam is a gun batsman.

Dont know who is responsible for asim kamal not getting a longer run in the team, but inzi was captain. Fawad was very young and inexperienced when inzi was captain, so i cant blame inzi for that. Abid ali has been held back for at least 3 years in tests, he should have debut in the 2016 england away series. Inzi has been chief selector during those 3 years.
Another name i would mention is misbah ul haq. Misbah had to wait for inzi to retire before he got a regular run in the team, at age 32.

The only way they are winning is if they score 300 and knock India’s top three for 20 runs or bowl out india for 200 I don’t see either of those two scenarios happening because in the history of cricket this is Pakistan’s crappiest bowling line up so we can’t even take a wicket in the first ten overs so we’re not breaking the streak .

He didn’t destroy anything we never hade any batting talent to begin with or any talent at all in our domestic set up

Last edited by a moderator:
Not possible as our team is rubbish, since 1983 i haven't seen a Pak team with such poor bowling lineup.I think it will be a boring one sided contest with india winning easily.

I am least hopeful this time.
Basic reason is not the players, its the team management, selection and captaincy

India vs Pakistan matches these days are overhyped lol. Apart from the CT final on most days it's just India beating us black and blue. I think the Asia Cup match in 2014 was the last really close game between the 2.

Really need to come out of this rhetoric. Agreed, fans love it but as a professional coach/captain/selector you need to have a much more sound working knowledge of the game.

Dont know who is responsible for asim kamal not getting a longer run in the team, but inzi was captain. Fawad was very young and inexperienced when inzi was captain, so i cant blame inzi for that. Abid ali has been held back for at least 3 years in tests, he should have debut in the 2016 england away series. Inzi has been chief selector during those 3 years.
Another name i would mention is misbah ul haq. Misbah had to wait for inzi to retire before he got a regular run in the team, at age 32.

There is a long list of cricketers who were lost to time by the time Inzi retired. And evenafter retirement he kept a certain influence to protect his mafia likes of Yousuf, Akmal, Malik, etc.. If anyone remembers the revolt against captain Younis Khan in 2009 it was planned in Inzi's house.

Misbah would've been history like the rest if it was not for the spotfixing disaster in 2010.

Just few months back Indians were forcing their cricketers to boycott this tie.

We all understand the reason behind these statements. Moulvi Inzi saheb will be sitting with an indian network to make some money. So-called joint transmissions called 'taakra', 'revenge of Pulwama' , 'final battle', 'punch the Pakistani in the face', etc... where our shameless ex-cricketers take punches & jibes by indian fans and cricketers and present Kohli like a bradman infront of Pakistani audiences to take money from these networks.

Just imagine a professional selector of England and Australia helping other country to ridicule his own team and btw these so-called stars ex-cricketers earn huge sums of money from activities outside of PCB.

Their greed has no limits.

If there is a real person who admire its Saeed Anwar and Saqlain who are way different than Inzi uncle.

Typical. What about the losing streak of Pak v Everyone???

If (and let's be honest when) they don't, will he resign and hopefully be joined by the coaching staff and captain in resigning...?

I dont like all this talk about importance of the indian game and the losing streak by the cheif selector He should have more sense than this

It just puts unnecessary pressure on our players

The mantra should be its just like any other game in importance and qualification for the semis is the aim

The streak has only become important recently. We should have beaten India in 1992 and 1999 at least and in the group match of 2007 t20 world cup but I don't think anyone thought it would become such a big thing or cared about it so much back then.

The only important encounters we have had with india in the 50 over world cup are 1996 quarter final and the 2011 semi final which India won. And, the 2007 t20 final.

I don't think the players in the 90's looked at it as a matter of life and death otherwise there would have been no streak to begin with.

The streak has only become important recently. We should have beaten India in 1992 and 1999 at least and in the group match of 2007 t20 world cup but I don't think anyone thought it would become such a big thing or cared about it so much back then.

The only important encounters we have had with india in the 50 over world cup are 1996 quarter final and the 2011 semi final which India won. And, the 2007 t20 final.

I don't think the players in the 90's looked at it as a matter of life and death otherwise there would have been no streak to begin with.

It was very much a matter of life and death those days! Things have eased out now... Indians don't take Pakistan match too seriously and Pakistan are not under immense pressure playing against India because they go into the match as underdogs! This is the best time to break the streak (like CT Finals). Pakistan should be disappointed if they don't do it this time (that too in their favorite zone - England- which is better than both home & their adopted home grounds!)

Did anyone catch that captain's chat about the game?? - Virat Kohli speaking like a relaxed professional about the upcoming game - excellent body language, charm, charisma and exuding confidence!

On the other sofa was this shrivelled up, broken, beaten shell of a man - Sarfraz - he looked mentally shot, pathetic body language, and just glad to be in the same building as Virat Kohli

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a chance for sure. This Indian batting line up does not have a Sachin, Ganguly or Rahul Dravid. It is weaker compared to all the times they defeated us all those times. One batsman I fear is Shekhar Dhawan. Anyway what happened to India threats of boycotting this match?:murali

It has come to a point where Pak fans deep down has already resigned to the fact that anything other than a defeat would be a miracle, Pak players just can't handle pressure and they seem lost and hopeless even before the 1st ball is bowled, any Pak fans telling otherwise will be lying to himself as well.

we may never be able to end this streak, It's nor even about strength of the teams, even this garbage Pak team can beat England and any top side in WC, but WC and India are just a kind of Curse, even though even a minnow Bangladesh back in 2007 beated India and Pak have defeated way more better teams in WC thank India thab Plz explain any rational reason why we haven't defeated India and Its 11-0 across both wc not just 2 or 3 matches, we couldn't even beat them when we had stronger teams than India in past, For me it will be satisfying tournament even if we lose all 8 other matches but somehow end this streak, even though I know there is bigger chance Pak will win wc than them beating India.

Did anyone catch that captain's chat about the game?? - Virat Kohli speaking like a relaxed professional about the upcoming game - excellent body language, charm, charisma and exuding confidence!

On the other sofa was this shrivelled up, broken, beaten shell of a man - Sarfraz - he looked mentally shot, pathetic body language, and just glad to be in the same building as Virat Kohli

Sarfraz looked like a joke. Like an elementary kid in the company of high school seniors!

We have a chance for sure. This Indian batting line up does not have a Sachin, Ganguly or Rahul Dravid. It is weaker compared to all the times they defeated us all those times. One batsman I fear is Shekhar Dhawan. Anyway what happened to India threats of boycotting this match?:murali

We don't want to sacrifice two easy points.

General public in Pakistan these days only care about match against india in big tournaments. I bet you team will still get heroic reception if they beat india & lose all other matches. Indians have moved on to some extent from this rivalry, but unfortunately Pakistanis have not a single inch. Walk around streets in Pakistan & ask people about WC, the next thing they will say is forget the cup, when is ind pak match.

This guy is really not in touch with reality. Worst chief selector in our history.

General public in Pakistan these days only care about match against india in big tournaments. I bet you team will still get heroic reception if they beat india & lose all other matches. Indians have moved on to some extent from this rivalry, but unfortunately Pakistanis have not a single inch. Walk around streets in Pakistan & ask people about WC, the next thing they will say is forget the cup, when is ind pak match.

Which world you living in, in Pakistan viewership for watching team has gone down and no one is interested in watching Indians in any way. Even their IPL matches are not telecast in Pakistan and no one talks about them. I personally don't even read posts here about indians forget commenting there.

I really hope Indians show spine and do what they said in february, forfeit or boycott the match. People are dying, sports must be easy discussion for overseas people but try talking to soldiers and civilians' families who have been killed in Balochistan, Kashmir and elsewhere.

Sports and other activities can be done when there is peace, both nations' are on war mode. Not a great time for ICC or these shameless ex-cricketers to make money on such a tie which would result in a huge backlash and fallout.

Are we going to end the losing streak against India?

Heart says Yes, Mind says No :inzi2 :(

I don't think so. If Pakistan beats India, it should be regarded as an upset.

This stuff of beating India in WC has become so useless that the Indian posters even don’t bother to comment on this lol

Its statemens like this that already put the team under pressure.
Concentrate on winning first.
Concentrate on performing for the nation.
Concentrate on playing good positive cricket.
World Cup is the target, not beating India.

I think Pakistan need to concentrate on their first few games. If they get on to a winning start, they will come in confident. India's first 3 games are hard and they are surely not even thinking about Pakistan right now.

So Pakistan will continue losing till they play against India. That game will mark the end of both of the losing streaks.

Its statemens like this that already put the team under pressure.
Concentrate on winning first.
Concentrate on performing for the nation.
Concentrate on playing good positive cricket.
World Cup is the target, not beating India.

I think these players are asked this question and they respond accordingly. We only get to see the answers but maybe there is a question in the back ground that goes like "what do you about the losing streak of Pakistan vs Insia?"

India start as favourites. Underdog tag suits Pak just fine as it puts the pressure on them.

India start as favourites. Underdog tag suits Pak just fine as it puts the pressure on them.

They've been favourites for all of our recent meetings. Only time it's suited Pakistan is 2017 CT final. All the other times, they've smashed us.

It’s going to be worse than the Asia Cup thrashing. I will be surprised if India lose more than 2 wickets in this match.

Probably the biggest mismatch in Pakistan- India world cup history. However, just when everybody has written off Pakistan, maybe they can surprise India.

Probably the biggest mismatch in Pakistan- India world cup history. However, just when everybody has written off Pakistan, maybe they can surprise India.

How's this the biggest mismatch??
2015 was by far the biggest mismatch.

How's this the biggest mismatch??
2015 was by far the biggest mismatch.

I agree. 2015 was the biggest mismatch. India were far too good for Pakistan ,man for man. Don't think this is as much of a mismatch despite Pakistan's recent form in this format.

I agree. 2015 was the biggest mismatch. India were far too good for Pakistan ,man for man. Don't think this is as much of a mismatch despite Pakistan's recent form in this format.

It still is, under Sarf this is a joke of a team.

Inzamam’s belief in Pakistan still strong - but admits India clash is key

Pakistan chief selector Inzamam-ul-Haq believes Pakistan can still win the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup but believes the anticipated clash with India is now a must-win game.

The 1992 world champions have endured a tough start to their campaign with one win from four matches, albeit against tournament favourites and world No.1 ranked team England.

In contrast, India – who have never been beaten by Pakistan at a World Cup - head into Sunday’s game after wins over South Africa and Australia, followed by a rained out match against New Zealand.

But former Pakistan captain Inzamam, a member of Imran Khan’s triumphant team 27 years ago, insisted the side have the ability to challenge for cricket’s ultimate prize, with only small tweaks required for Sarfaraz Ahmed’s men to fire on all fronts.

He said: “I believe Pakistan have the ability to win the World Cup. They haven’t performed too well so far, and Sunday is important for them to stay in the competition. But it’s just a matter of fixing the small things, otherwise it’s a good team.”

But this is no ordinary game of cricket, with approximately 800,000 people having applied for tickets for the 26,000-capacity ground.

Up to one billion people are expected to tune into the action on television, as fans from around the globe prepare for one of world sport’s biggest occasions.

“India v Pakistan is always a big game - it’s like the final before the final,” he said. “It’s watched all over the world and whoever wins on Sunday will surely have a big celebration.”

Despite having come out on top against World Cup favourites England, Inzamam warned Eoin Morgan’s men – and Jos Buttler in particular - could pose the biggest threat to Pakistan’s title hopes.

He said: “Every team has the ability to win the World Cup because they all have great players, but England are a good team and have a good combination.

“Big teams perform at the right time and England have done that.

“Buttler is a key man. How he plays, how he scores and his strike rate are amazing. I think he’s a great player.”

ICC media release

Will the streak end if the match between India and Pakistan in World Cup 2019 gets abandoned?

What will happen to the streak if the match doesn't happen today? Streak means when you win matches one after another without losing or drawing any match. Am I wrong? :inti

What will happen to the streak if the match doesn't happen today? Streak means when you win matches one after another without losing or drawing any match. Am I wrong? :inti

India's winning streak may end that way. But Pakistan's win less streak will continue.

I think it’s something Pakistan fans should decide. Don’t know if they would consider it as a result in their favour.

Back