“If we can bat well in the second innings, it will be tough for them to chase 150” : Mohammad Rizwan

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
Mohammad Rizwan at a presser:

[Sarfaraz always used to talk to the bowlers - why dont you do that also?]

“It was different for Sarfaraz as he had been captain for last few years; You cant hear me as the microphone is not near me but I am always speaking in Pashto - infact so much that Ajju Bhai (Azhar Ali) says that please speak in Urdu so that I can also understand; So I do speak to the bowlers in Pashto, to all of Shaheen Shah , Naseem Shah and Yasir Shah; I dont need to run up to them but I speak to them from a distance in Pashto and they do understand; We have Babar and Asad in the slips so we do advise the captain and even Shan Masood advises us so we have a good atmosphere going in the team”

[All players seem to be not too sad whilst people in Pakistan are very depressed about the match/series]

“If we could share a video of us in tears with our people, then they would know how depressed we all are as well; But we cannot be like that as that would make us look like cowards; Our management wants us to not take this [current situation] in a bad way as we do feel sad and angry inside us, instead they want us to be courageous; We are all very sad from inside but we dont show that to everyone”

[What advice would you give to the batsmen in this final innings]

“Play without any inhibitions [Khul kay khelo]!”

“Test cricket has many phases and you need to go through them; One phase is when you need to play with a dead bat; there is one phase when you have to score runs; there are times when you have pressure after fall of 2-3 wickets where you have to stay calm; and there is one phase where you end up with a century to your name; We will have to go through all these phases now; This is Test cricket where there is pressure on you - this isnt like club cricket; We bounced back from 25/4 and we will have a good innings in front of us now - I feel it will be tough for them to do 150 or so in the last innings [if we can get a lead]”

[Do you feel you have done enough to convince everyone that you are the number one keeper in Tests for Pakistan]

“Definitely when you get a chance to play, you perform for Pakistan because its your duty to do so; But this performances is not enough for me as this is just the start of my Test career, Inshallah I wish to perform like this again when I am given the chance; if you ask me about my innings today, I will say that it was one under difficult conditions and I learnt a lot from it”

[What was it like batting alongside Azhar today]

“If you watch his innings, it was a superb innings; It was all due to his head position which he worked on a lot - if you see his last few innings, his head was going down so England got his wicket; But now, he worked on this issue and we saw the kind of shots he played today and the way he covered up; It was a beautiful and fighting innings for Pakistan”

Looks like Rizwan sneaked into a bar after the close of play.

150? Meaning we'll score 460. Lol. Good trolling Rizwan.

Had a bad day today, can have some of the thing Rizwan has been smoking today ?

Any ways I like how Rizwan has a positive approach.

I know it is highly unlikely but you never know in cricket.

lets be realistic. no way are we crossing 300 here, let alone 450

Pakistan can win on paper but rain has to stay away and England have to play really bad.

Positive words from Rizwan.

What do you guys want him to say? "We're gonna dead bat it and pray for rain"?

There's a fine line between talking positively and being delusional.

The former is appreciated but the latter makes you sound very silly. There are top order batsmen who can't even be relied on to score 46 runs, so in what world is making 460 being mooted at all?

What Rizwan should have done is acknowledged the match position and said that the players would give it their all.

After that record run chase against Sri Lanka a few years ago Pakistan must feel they can achieve 400 runs on the fourth day
Very dangerous approach especially if azhar ali opens and tries to tee off with shan masood from the offset
Even if Pakistan manage to score 300 runs on Monday, I can't see England batting for more than one session on Tuesday and yasir shah is no Saqlain mushtaq

At least the team can have positive thinking. Otherwise why are we even playing the sport. No need to troll about what Rizwan said.

If there’s one player to truly come out of the series and show his worth then it’s Rizwan

We would need to bat for a minimum of 4 sessions with a run rate of around 4 then bowl them out in the last 2 sessions.

Rizwan has got it all worked out guys.

He could say something non-delusional such as "We are in a difficult situation but we will try our best and fight till the last wicket".

Great attitude by Rizwan, makes me like him more. We probably will lose here but with a mindset like this, wins will follow.

This guy is positive and optimistic, he is a winner. No coincidence that he has probably been Pakistan’s best player in the series, with his impish batting and superb wicketkeeping.

Funny things happen in cricket. Pakistan almost chased down 490 after getting blasted in the 1st innings at Adelaide. Optmtmistic people found oppurtunity where a pessimist find defeat

Need Shan to fire though. if he can somehow chop off his legs to avoid getting lbw.

I thought you'd prefer this mindset over the 'rain will save us' ?

There is a fine line between a winning mindset and a delusional mindset. Rizwan seems to have crossed that line.

Funny things happen in cricket. Pakistan almost chased down 490 after getting blasted in the 1st innings at Adelaide. Optmtmistic people found oppurtunity where a pessimist find defeat

You can be optimistic when there is a reason for it. Pakistani fans are not optimistic; they are delusional.

You might not call this hoshyar but its definitely of jazba and zindadili and that's what I appreciate about Rizwan. He's a future captain material.

yeah thats what they want. Then they would complain about that. At least they have a belief and will go down fighting. Unlike some of the lot on here who give up at the first sign of trouble.

Definitely a captain material..... atleast some one has positive mind among mentally weak ppl......good to see.........being positive brings the best... .

Looks like Rizwan sneaked into a bar after the close of play.
Were you not saying that top teams think like that , so why criticise him from being positive atleast, even though Pak have no capable batsmen to carry it out.

Never give up attitude from Rizwan. Love it. You always need fighters in the team. I've had enough of timid Misbah/Azhar either appreciating the opposition or thanking Allah and that's it. Atleast he's giving insight about team atmosphere and is a vocal keeper along with being brilliant at it.

Like the great Imran Khan has said "You've only lost once you've given up."

I like the attitude, let's focus on today and get some big runs.
If we are 300-3, then why not.
I said it in the first innings, get through 20 overs and we can bat on this. Same applies here though it will be slightly trickier.
Let's keep England out there today and go from there.
Better mentality then the let's roll over and die mentality that prevails on pak tours where wheels would totally come off

yeah thats what they want. Then they would complain about that. At least they have a belief and will go down fighting. Unlike some of the lot on here who give up at the first sign of trouble.

Yeah, if he said what I wrote, people on here would be like "What an uninspiring player, this is what's wrong with current Pak team, they aren't even trying to win. No shame."

Back