1996 World Cup Semi Final, Sri Lanka vs India was Fixed - Vinod Kambli

Runner Up

T20I Debutant
Runs
Geo News reporting it right now. He is talking about India vs. SL Semi Final which was won by SL.

1996 World Cup Semi Final, Srilanka vs India was Fixed - Vinod Kambli

Being said on geo news that Vinod Kambli claims that the 1996 World Cup semi final was fixed.

Eh? Then india should have won. Not otherwise. Did he give any evidence?

Was 1996 WC semifinal between India-Sri Lana rigged: Kambli

New Delhi: Former Indian cricketer Vinod Kambli on Thursday made the shocking allegation that he suspected that the 1996 World Cup Semi Final played between India and Sri Lanka was fixed. The visibly emotional cricketer made the statement while participating in a STAR News debate on ex-chief of ICC anti-corruption unit Paul Condon statement that in the 90s and in the following years all of cricket's leading countries were involved in fixing major matches.

Kambli said he was suspicious of the captain’s decision to field first even though batting was the norm after winning the toss in those days. India had lost the match against the Lankans who shocked the cricketing world by winning the 1996 World Cup. He added that he was the only batsman left on the crease and could not take the spectacle when the Indian batting order crushed like a pack of cards. The cricketer burst into tears as he recalled that he was removed from the team after the game.

“I cried because I thought I was robbed of a chance to do it for my country. The entire team hugged me. Most of us were crying, he recalled.” A visibly emotional Kambli went on to clarify that he had never betrayed his country.

http://www.newsbullet.in/sports/cri...en-india-sri-lanka-may-have-been-fixed-kambli

Well didnt Azhar get caught after the WC? The toss was definitely fixed. the curator had told Azhar the pitch will turn square second innings, yet, he chose to bat second with Sri-Lankan attack having so many spinners. Even Jayasuriya was turning ball square

2 threads. Should be merge.

Though, i see more of a emotional sentiment here rather than some evidence, proof.

Big claim from Kambli. I've seen that game numerous times.

India bowled first but Sri Lanka were 1/2 and 35/3 at the start. Sri Lanka got back in it thanks to a quality innings from Aravinda De Silva.

India went from 100/1 to about 120/8 though.

Big news, is this the reason why he was in tears :13:

And the way they dumped him even when he averages 54 with the bat.

why come out 15 years later and say the game was fixed?

I remember kambli crying his eyes out after india lost that game, was hilarious to watch!

Actually..Saw Kambli today on Star News...with this revelation...
Now Star News...and on top of that Kambli is employed by the channel for the post match commentary...you get the drift...
This kind of sensationalism is common in Star News, India Tv, Aaj Tak and other regional channels..Anyways.....He may be true...but why after 15...that too which had the hottest phase of match fixing...(2000-01)...
Attention seeking Wh***....
:sarfraz are not born, they are made over a period of time..

Maybe hes on about the indian cricketing authorities fixing it with the fans so they burnt down the stadium so they could make an insurance claim :)

I honestly believed watching that India innings that something was not right.

Tendulkar got them off to a flier and from 98/1 to 120/8 was a spectacular collapse. When you see likes of Azhar jadeja and Mongia giving their wickets away knowing their past I would not be surprised if they thought to cash in after beating Pakistan.

With the Delhi Police reopening the match fixing investigation, Kambli will have his chance to give any evidence to them.

Still remember someone saying that the reason why the whole stadium was on fire when we were about to lose, could be the handiwork of punters as the match was not completed and the bookies will not have to suffer losses. Was too young at that time to understand all this. But the presence of Azhar, Mongia, Jadeja and Prabhakar in the team would surely make all the events look even more suspect.

Well didnt Azhar get caught after the WC? The toss was definitely fixed. the curator had told Azhar the pitch will turn square second innings, yet, he chose to bat second with Sri-Lankan attack having so many spinners. Even Jayasuriya was turning ball square

I hate azhar.I still rember those ugly shots he played during the semi finals

Last edited:
India-Sri Lanka WC semifinal may have been fixed: Kambli

New Delhi: Former Indian cricketer Vinod Kambli on Thursday made the shocking allegation that he suspected that the 1996 World Cup Semi Final played between India and Sri Lanka may have been fixed. A visibly emotional Kambli made the statement while participating in a STAR News debate on ex-chief of ICC anti-corruption unit Paul Condon's statement that in the 90s and in the following years all of cricket's leading countries were involved in fixing major matches.

Kambli said he was suspicious of the captain’s (Mohammed Azharuddin) decision to field first even though it had been unanimously decided that the team would bat after winning the toss. India lost the match against the Lankans who shocked the cricketing world by winning the 1996 World Cup.

He added that he was the main batsman left on the crease and could not take the spectacle when the Indian batting order crushed like a pack of cards. The cricketer burst into tears as he recalled that he was removed from the team after the game. “I cried because I thought I was robbed of a chance to do it for my country. The entire team hugged me. Most of us were crying, he recalled.” A visibly emotional Kambli went on to clarify that he had never betrayed his country.

It was one of India’s most heart-breaking defeats in ODI history with cricket pundits attributing the loss to Indian skipper Azharuddin for inviting Sri Lanka to bat. Skipper Mohammed Azharuddin and key batsman Ajay Jadeja were out without scoring. Both the players served ICC imposed ban for match fixing later. Mohammed Azharuddin was forced to retire later in his career because of his involvement in a match-fixing scandal

Kambli’s Contentions:

1) Why India chose to field despite the unanimous decision that India would bat in the event of winning the toss on a batting pitch?
2) Why batsmen were quickly falling on the other end inspite of the fact that he was holding out and telling them to go slow?

3) He says he still can’t fathom how six wickets fell within 22 runs. (That day's scoreboard)

Kambli's Account of Events:
I will never forget the 1996 match because my career ended after this and I was dropped from the game. I was stunned by India’s decision to field. I was standing on one side and on the other end my fellow batsman was telling me that we would chase the target. However, soon after they quickly got out one by one. I don’t know what transpired.

“Something was definitely amiss. However, I was not given a chance to speak and was dropped soon after. Our team manager at that time Ajit Wadekar was aware of everything. He had even written an article afterwards that Vinod Kambli had been made a scapegoat.

“We had been playing well during the entire World Cup and even defeated the likes of West Indies and Pakistan to reach the semifinal. Howver, his sudden exit from the game is bound to raise suspicion. Our openers were all set to bat, however, at the nick of time, we learnt we had to field. I got a huge shock after learning this.

“I cried because I thought I was robbed of a chance to do it for my country. The entire team hugged me. Most of us were crying, he recalled. It was not only Tendulkar and other cricketers' dream to win the Cup but mine too,” he added.

Sri Lanka won the first semi-final over India at Eden Gardens, Kolkata in front of a crowd unofficially estimated at 110 000. Chasing Sri Lanka's innings of 251 for 8, India had slumped to 120 for 8 in the 35th over when sections of crowd began to throw fruit and plastic bottles onto the field. The players left the field for 20 minutes in an attempt to quieten the crowd. When the players returned for play, more bottles were thrown onto the field and fires were lit in the stand. Match referee Clive Lloyd awarded the match to Sri Lanka, the first default ever in Test or One Day International.

At the fall of the 8th Indian wicket, sections of the crowd vented their disgust with the state of the match by setting fire to some areas of the stands and throwing fruit and waterbottles onto the field. The match was briefly stopped and when play was about to resume, the crowd again threw bottles at the deep fielders. The match referee stopped the game and the game was awarded to Sri Lanka by default.

SRC

If 1 & 2 are true, then match is fixed surely.
Anyway we know why Jadeja n Azhar were punished.

Our openers were all set to bat, however, at the nick of time, we learnt we had to field. I got a huge shock after learning this.

Sorry, but openers do not get ready to bat before the toss has happened. That quote itself lowers the credibility of his claims.

Would like to see the dismissals again. Any video please

Whether this is true or not, Jadeja was definitely involved at some level. It pisses me off to think that he can actually now sit on TV and speak about a game he sold out on.

So we have to wait for another 16 years from SL player to confirm that 2011 final was fixed?

4:34
Damn it, Azharuddin's dismissal is just so clear. Bloody fixer

As I have said many times....

Late 90s.... Almost every other game involving subcontinent was fixed

Remember the sahara cup games... Games in Sharjah....

Teams played nearly 50 ODIs a year....

They were not important enough to refuse a bit of money on the side...

Once the fixers got a hold of you there was absolutely no going back.... Even if you wanted to.....

I was also very surprised when Azhar decided to bowl. In previous 2 years ('94 & '95) India won 2 ODI Finals over 100 runs margin batting first & Eden track those days used to turn miles (Anil's 6/12 could easily been 8/8, if there was not an edged boundary & last 2 wickets went from other end). It was late March & the dew also was not that heavy during night to prompt fielding first. But, that decision of bowling first must not be his alone & to some extent it worked. Both Lankan dynamic openers were out for ducks in first over & at a point of time, Lanka was probably 80/4 or so, losing Guru & Hary as well.

However, India was over overwhelmingly favorite to win that SF, & in open win-loss betting, India's loss would have been worth billions for few betting syndicates. But, I don't think, Indian batsmen threw wickets; SRT & Sidhu played the new ball to the seamers, when the ball was coming to the bat. As soon as the spinners came, everybody, including SRT, struggled.

But, when you chose to bowl first on a track, where Sanath Jayasuria could bowl Indian batsmen round their legs, It's definitely suspicious.

Suspecting it may have been fixed is not the same as saying it was fixed. Unless he has actual evidence or can provide details of how he himself was approached by his captain or a team-mate for example, it seems to me to be a bit of a non-story.

As has already been pointed out, Azhar was later found out to be involved in fixing, so unfortunately it does cast doubt on pretty much any match that he was involved in, but the mere fact that India collapsed the way they did is not evidence of fixing. Pressure and the weight of expectation in a situation like that must have been immense, and it could simply have been too much for India to handle.

^ This @ Big Harvey.

Azhar asking India to bowl first in 1996 on minefield and Sourav asking Australia to bat first on flat track in 2003, two decisions may have cost India, 2 wcs.

Btw. Srilankan cricket was born that day.

Another ex-cricketer jumping in the band-wagon. Guess they were too busy all these years to tell it then. They're just banking on the fixing scene to get into news, despos.

kambli has made this statement on tv...
amazing now no one can point finger only on :butt

Especially one mustn't trust what Kambli says, when it comes to drama he is Sreesanth's baap. Said in a show Sachin betrayed him so he fell apart from cricket, later apologised and said that he was misquoted.

I had massive 'cricketing' grudge towards Lankan cricketers from that loss, I still feel pain, even after winning 2011, when I think about it. Also, felt pain losing 03 final.

BUT all took full circle, beat both teams in crunch matches.

^ This @ Big Harvey.

Azhar asking India to bowl first in 1996 on minefield and Sourav asking Australia to bat first on flat track in 2003, two decisions may have cost India, 2 wcs.

Btw. Srilankan cricket was born that day.

Yea man , we should have won 4 world cups by now :(

Suspecting it may have been fixed is not the same as saying it was fixed. Unless he has actual evidence or can provide details of how he himself was approached by his captain or a team-mate for example, it seems to me to be a bit of a non-story.

As has already been pointed out, Azhar was later found out to be involved in fixing, so unfortunately it does cast doubt on pretty much any match that he was involved in, but the mere fact that India collapsed the way they did is not evidence of fixing. Pressure and the weight of expectation in a situation like that must have been immense, and it could simply have been too much for India to handle.

This sums it up. Maybe the game was fixed maybe it was just bad decision making, unless there is evidence for the claims.

But the fact is Azhar, Jadeja were banned for life. Kuch to galat ho raha tha us waqt.

Just watched how India's wickets fell, they were all very soft dismissals especially Azhar's (catching practice)...The commentator says 'Indians are commiting Suicide' that higlights how easily the bastman were giving there wickets.............

These players only care about money........The fans be cheering for them yet they have other things in mind........

There were alot of corrupt cricketers in that era.......

1) Azhar's wicket
2) Sending srinath as a pinch hitter at 4 down but what we needed was a consolidation at that stage
3) Jadeja's wicket

all look suspicious.

Didn't realise just how big that "collapse" was. Sachin looked like the only player trying.

And what's going to happen ? Soon this will be swept under the carpet and nobody will be brought to book by the authorities.

And what's going to happen ? Soon this will be swept under the carpet and nobody will be brought to book by the authorities.

Azhar, Mongia,JAdeja,Prabhakar all banned. What else can be done anyway.

And Coming out after so many years...welll. Even now he says may...attributing every pathetic performance to fixing is not right.

Whether this is true or not, Jadeja was definitely involved at some level. It pisses me off to think that he can actually now sit on TV and speak about a game he sold out on.

This quote should be preserved in the PP hall of laughter.

How does one question whether the fix was true or not yet in the same breath state Jadeja was definitely involved?

Let me guess, you believe cricket is barren of fixing since Butt, Asif, and Amir were handed custodial sentences on a plate? Wake up pal; you know for a fact fixing is prevalent in cricket, you cannot even deny the notion, thus asking for empirical evidence of fixing is akin to firmly entombing your head in the sand and at worst rebutting reality.

Cricket doesn’t need evidence of fixing, it's blatant, cricket needs evidence for the purpose of incrimination - and yes there is a difference.

To those who continue to demand evidence of fixing, well, if you know your cricket, and have been watching cricket long enough, you can tell when a match looks suspicious or not.

PS: One thing this thread has confirmed, and that is, Indian PPers who’ve been watching cricket post 2000 – you know who you are - cough cough.

Last edited:
This quote should be preserved in the PP hall of laughter.

How does one question whether the fix was true or not yet in the same breath state Jadeja was definitely involved?

Are you for real or are you just severely retarded.

But then again, if you're for real, you must be severely retarded. And if you're severely retarded, you are for real.

There. You can have two seemingly polar situations in the same breath.

Now to simplify things. You'll have to excuse me, but try as I do, PP doesn't offer sign language as an option for communication. But anyway, here goes:

1. Me - "Whether this is true or not, Jadeja was definitely involved at some level. It pisses me off to think that he can actually now sit on TV and speak about a game he sold out on."

Jadeja was banned for match fixing. Which means he was involved in match fixing at some level or at least the Indian authorities found significant proof regarding his involvement.

Regardless of whether he was involved in fixing this particular game, he was still involved in match fixing; perhaps other games.

It therefore pisses me off that he's still allowed to voice his opinions on the game.

2. What's the PP hall of laughter. Is it something you've been awarded the keys to. You know, like the honorary keys to a city, for your continued contributions to retarded posts.

Much Love.....

Are you for real or are you just severely retarded.

But then again, if you're for real, you must be severely retarded. And if you're severely retarded, you are for real.

There. You can have two seemingly polar situations in the same breath.

Now to simplify things. You'll have to excuse me, but try as I do, PP doesn't offer sign language as an option for communication. But anyway, here goes:

1. Me - "Whether this is true or not, Jadeja was definitely involved at some level. It pisses me off to think that he can actually now sit on TV and speak about a game he sold out on."

Jadeja was banned for match fixing. Which means he was involved in match fixing at some level or at least the Indian authorities found significant proof regarding his involvement.

Regardless of whether he was involved in fixing this particular game, he was still involved in match fixing; perhaps other games.

It therefore pisses me off that he's still allowed to voice his opinions on the game.

2. What's the PP hall of laughter. Is it something you've been awarded the keys to. You know, like the honorary keys to a city, for your continued contributions to retarded posts.

Non sequitur.

Much Love.....

Sorry, I ain't gay.

You can invoke the word "retarded" as many times as you wish, it'll only cement the irony and ignorance of your thinking.

PS: I agree, convicted match fixers should not be allowed to voice their opinions on the game. There is, it seems, light at the end of the tunnel.

:)

Last edited:
N_H, it follows perfectly. No harm in admitting you misread/misunderstood his post.

Follows perfectly? Hmmm. Did you look up the Latin translation one wonders.

Let me guess, you fall in the camp which demands evidence supporting fixing yet deep down accepts fixing is prevalent in cricket.

Instead of holding Bally Ho's hand, why not address some of the other points I have listed which Bally Ho ignored, conveniently? Or did you not follow my post?

Last edited:

Let me guess, you fall in the camp which demands evidence supporting fixing yet deep down accepts fixing is prevalent in cricket.

Instead of holding Bally Ho's hand, why not address some of the other points I have listed which Bally Ho ignored, conveniently? Or did you not follow my post?

Chillax my friend. Jadeja was banned for 5-years for his involvement in match-fixing. So it doesnt matter whether this game was fixed too or if Jadeja was involved in this particular fix. He is a certified match-fixer :butt

Which camp I fall into is irrelevant. Good attempt to try the steer the conversation away from your inability to comprehend his post though.

Your response:

Clearly, you misunderstood his post. I know he's Indian but there's nothing wrong in admitting it to him.

Have a nice evening.

Shayan struggling to address the pertinent points I raise. What a choker.

I think what Kambli is saying is that it was fixed such that India will lose 8 wickets for 120 and then Kumble and Kambli will romp them home in a 132-run partnership.

Too bad the crowd crashed their party.

TBH, Azhar's was the only dodgy wicket (maybe Jedeja) - the rest were just plain incompetent shots. And this would explain the toss. So to speak.

Tempted to file this under "retired ex cricketer seeks publicity

You have had 15 years to say something Kambli, you are either a coward or a liar, which one is it?

Sorry, but openers do not get ready to bat before the toss has happened. That quote itself lowers the credibility of his claims.

I think what he meant was that they would've seen azhar win the toss, and since he claims it had been decided that they would bat first, the openers might have gone in to get ready.

They might not have found out until after the post toss interview that they would be fielding.

I think what he meant was that they would've seen azhar win the toss, and since he claims it had been decided that they would bat first, the openers might have gone in to get ready.

They might not have found out until after the post toss interview that they would be fielding.

and how much time did they had to prepare between the toss and post-toss interview? Like 5 seconds? :danish

Chillax my friend. Jadeja was banned for 5-years for his involvement in match-fixing. So it doesnt matter whether this game was fixed too or if Jadeja was involved in this particular fix. He is a certified match-fixer :butt

I do not deny it dude. I merely feel pity on so called fans of cricket who despite your point, demand evidence of fixing in cricket given such folk believe fixing is widespread in cricket. I mean take a look at this thread, some Indian PPers continue to live in a fantasy world by denying all existence of fixing.

Jadeja, Azhar, Butt, Asif - to name a few - are living proof of the crimes committed against the greatest game on Earth, yet a select few demand evidence of fixing?

its very clear that match fixing was going on during 90s and many of the matches were fixed. players never got banned or caught until 2000. In 2000, several of Indian and Pakistani players got banned. But Players who match fixed or spot fixed after 2000 are plain stupid, more than cheat or greedy.

Jayasuriya was all over the field in that match. What a player.

Last edited:
1996 was fixed. 1999 final was fixed. 2011 was fixed !!!!

Back