2007 World Cup Hero Joginder Sharma Announces Retirement From All Forms Of Cricket

Statsman

T20I Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Some will say he never had it in him, never had the talent. But have a look at these statistics:

At Domestic Level:

Bowling Figures:
bowling.png

Batting Figures:
batting.png

In bowling, he averages 20.64 on Indian Flat Roads against highly competent domestic batsmen! Keep in mind that Ishant, Mithun, Sreesanth, and almost all the first choices average around 30 in First Class.

As cricinfo says and I quote
Joginder bowls with a mixed action and can trouble the best with his lively seam bowling - like he did to Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman and Yuvraj Singh while playing for India A against India Seniors before the Australia series.

Apart from this he has proven to be handy with the bat too. Has scored 5 centuries at this level. Dhoni has always said that he wanted a medium pacer all rounder in the side.

I don't think any other Indian bowler has proved himself so much at the domestic level.
At 27, time is running out for the Haryana lad whose last delivery bowled in International Cricket had won his team the First T20 World Cup, and had turned him into a Nation wide Hero, well almost.

It's hard to believe someone like Jadeja can get a run of 35 matches but Sharma who has a good domestic record could only warrant a handful of opportunities.

well he is ok but we cant afford to have him in the side can neither bat or bowl well at higher levels.

lets dissect this

t20's --- our lineup is filled with these type of players and between him and irfan i had pick irfan any day

t20 lineup (most prob when all are fit)

sehwag
gambhir
kohli
raina
y pathan
r sharma/yuvi
dhoni
bhajji
PK
zak/other genuine bowler
ashwin/munaf/nehra

There is no spot for jogi and if we want to then irfan would be the better option

for odis

the lineup is packed

the no 7 spot would either have

YP/IP/ashwin/jadeja(horror)

like I said he is not that good in any dept (bat/bowl/field and lacks the impact value of an ashwin or YP)

Tests : :))) :)))

Another Imp fact is we have PK who is similar in mould (slow speed , swings the ball nicely and can hold a bat reasonably well). PK is the better bowler by far and hence matter sorted.

It's hard to believe someone like Jadeja can get a run of 35 matches but Sharma who has a good domestic record could only warrant a handful of opportunities.
tbh jadeja isnt as bad as all of us think just his inept display at world t20 has made us folks back home mad.

jadeja is young , a brilliant fielder ,ok bowler and as a batter has solid technique.

His position was all wrong . he cant hit the ball , he is more an accumulator and hence the disastrous results. His ranji record is pretty good.

What's wrong in trying him in tests. He is a proven performer at the First Class Level. Cannot discard him because he doesn't have an X factor!

How is PK a better bowler and batsman?

His stats are not at all better than that of Joginder Sharma and both are untested at test level.

Last edited:
16 Five wicket hauls, 5 Ten wicket hauls and an average of 20. Tell me one bowler from Domestic who has played enough and has such an average and figures?

And I am not talking about his batting yet.

I sometimes don't know what to make of these domestic records. Technically good record on Indian roads should mean that they should be really good at the international level but for some reason it does not translate that way. I guess Joginder should be okay in ODI but not sure about tests.

Last edited:
joginder hasnt played an international game at all after the t20 2007 final. its baffling really. he could have played a t20 game atleast.

Because they are good enough to bully the ordinary batsmen in opponent teams these days :misbah :nehra

I didn't knew that he has a great domestic record. Always thought that he is the parchi of Dhoni :D

one think that is a major difference between india and pakistam is there is meritocracy in pindia's selection and thats why they are the world's best.no sifarisihi business unlike pakistan

How?!?!?!

From what I remember, he was really bad, which is why he got dropped. He didn't win the match, misbah lost it. The delivery was a good length delivery outside off stump deserving to be smashed for a matchwinning 4...

Anyway, based on those stats, he's been treated extremely unfairly. 4 odis and 4 t20s is nothing. 4 tests and dropped could have been more understandable.

Then again, India are number 1...If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

You have got to understand that we have so many good bowlers that we can't tolerate under performers for long :nehra

PK >>>>>>>>Jogi in terms of movement of the ball

Yes! Jogi does have good stats at domestic level but I don't know what it is, there is something missing in him to be picked for international side consistently(and that too for a side like ours).

BTW, Jogi is not even a regular pick for Chennai super kings (a club side)

well he is ok but we cant afford to have him in the side can neither bat or bowl well at higher levels.

Has he even been given proper chances to prove he can bat and bowl well at higher levels? :))

Yes, he was future Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and of course Shoaib Akhtar in pace.

No doubt he was treated unfairly.

Just to give you an example, Ishant averages 30.25 and Sreesanth 34.02 in Domestic, Sree's List A is even worse at 35+.

I'm not saying that the selectors should immediately draft him in the team, but discarding a guy who has had UNREAL bowling figures, not guiding him, not having confidence in him, not backing him, is Unfair Treatment. Isn't it?

He's not even tried in 1 test, who know's he could have done well too? He did that at domestic, why assume he couldn't replicate his Test performance in Intl.?

Due to shortage of good bowlers we have had the luxury to try Unadkat too. He wasn't anything special. Averages 32-33. Just that Wasim Akram said he looks good. Jogi has had no backing at all...

Just to give you an example, Ishant averages 30.25 and Sreesanth 34.02 in Domestic, Sree's List A is even worse at 35+.

I'm not saying that the selectors should immediately draft him in the team, but discarding a guy who has had UNREAL bowling figures, not guiding him, not having confidence in him, not backing him, is Unfair Treatment. Isn't it?

He's not even tried in 1 test, who know's he could have done well too? He did that at domestic, why assume he couldn't replicate his Test performance in Intl.?

Due to shortage of good bowlers we have had the luxury to try Unadkat too. He wasn't anything special. Averages 32-33. Just that Wasim Akram said he looks good. Jogi has had no backing at all...

I gotta agree with you there, Stats

PK >>>>>>>>Jogi in terms of movement of the ball

Yes! Jogi does have good stats at domestic level but I don't know what it is, there is something missing in him to be picked for international side consistently(and that too for a side like ours).

BTW, Jogi is not even a regular pick for Chennai super kings (a club side)

Maybe, in fact quite surely, because he is not suited for T20.

Take the case of Varun Aaron.

Poor Domestic Stats. Simply very poor. Average of 39.

But fans want him to be in the side, and I'm sure he'll get an opportunity soon. He's been all hyped.

Basis? X factor - He can bowl fast, and not even fast as per International standards.

^ I disagree on that part

There are players who don't have very impressive domestic cricket stats but they just bloom in international cricket. And there are people who are the legends in domestic circuit but nothing special in international arena.

joginder mostly played in under prepared wicket,so he has a good decent record in domestic circut.

@FL - But not backing an impressive domestic player. Is that fair?

I think one reason could be that he isn't what India wants. India at least need 1 more bowler of the caliber of Zaheer khan...otherwise RP SIngh, Nehra, Munaf, Sreesanth they more or less are of the same level

Look a little closer. He had a few good seasons with the ball till 2006/7; and two good seasons with the bat - 2x100 in 2004/5 at which point he was picked against Bangladesh, and 2x100 in 2006/7 when he was selected against WI and the T20 World Cup.

In the four years since then he has done little in fcc. 20 matches - 1x100, no fifties averaging < 20; did not play at all in 2007/8 season; 16, 14 and 36 wickets in three seasons since then.

Does this look exceptional ?

Look a little closer. He had a few good seasons with the ball till 2006/7; and two good seasons with the bat - 2x100 in 2004/5 at which point he was picked against Bangladesh, and 2x100 in 2006/7 when he was selected against WI and the T20 World Cup.

In the four years since then he has done little in fcc. 20 matches - 1x100, no fifties averaging < 20; did not play at all in 2007/8 season; 16, 14 and 36 wickets in three seasons since then.

Does this look exceptional ?

Dude, the stats you have shown are incomplete. 16, 14 and 36 wickets, but at what average? His overall is 20 so I assume he must be averaging around it. If not, then he has been treated very unfairly in the past for someone averaging <20. Either ways, he's not been backed properly.

Unfortunately cricinfo doesn't provide a statsguru for domestic but here's what I have...

The last outing Jogi has had:

Domestic ODI:

Finals - Deodhar Trophy - North Zone Vs West Zone

Took match winning 6 wicket haul destroying the West Zone batting line up including Rohit Sharma, Parthiv Patel etc. and then hit a six to win the match. Quite fittingly won the Man of the Match in the finals.

Domestic Test:

Finals - Duleep Trophy - North Zone Vs South Zone

Took 3 wickets in the first innings and made 30 with the bat. Got injured after that. Came to bat in the end in the second innings and couldn't ball. But to be fair to him he was the highest wicket taker for his team in the first innings.

Doesn't look bad, does it?

I think its tough for him to get into the team. Its unfortunate but a fact that players need to be in the good books of selectors to be selected. Joginder should have got chance in Test match. There is no harm in trying him, without trying we cannot say that he is no good. Its unfair.

If domestic records are not considered in selection , then what is the point in players toiling in them to prove themselves.

I can not say he was treated unfairly because he looked devoid of any spark when he was given a chance for the national team, but, those records are surprisingly good.

His average in domestic cricket is unreal. But, so was his "averageness" in International cricket.

Nevertheless, he does have a story to tell to his grandchildren that far superior cricketers don't.

Dude, the stats you have shown are incomplete. 16, 14 and 36 wickets, but at what average? His overall is 20 so I assume he must be averaging around it. If not, then he has been treated very unfairly in the past for someone averaging <20. Either ways, he's not been backed properly.

Unfortunately cricinfo doesn't provide a statsguru for domestic but here's what I have...

The last outing Jogi has had:

Domestic ODI:

Finals - Deodhar Trophy - North Zone Vs West Zone

Took match winning 6 wicket haul destroying the West Zone batting line up including Rohit Sharma, Parthiv Patel etc. and then hit a six to win the match. Quite fittingly won the Man of the Match in the finals.

Domestic Test:

Finals - Duleep Trophy - North Zone Vs South Zone

Took 3 wickets in the first innings and made 30 with the bat. Got injured after that. Came to bat in the end in the second innings and couldn't ball. But to be fair to him he was the highest wicket taker for his team in the first innings.

Doesn't look bad, does it?

Three wickets looks very impressive indeed. I would recommend that any player who takes 3WI in a fc match be selected for play for India.

R Sharma did play in the Deodhar match, but J Sharma did not take his wicket. His wkts were Parthiv Patel, Kedar Devdhar, Sidharth Chitnis, Iqbal Abdulla, Dhawal Kulkarni, Jaydev Unadkat. Impressive haul. Just short of getting Dravid-Tendulkar-Laxman-Sehwag-Gambhir in the same match.

In the season where he took 6/40 in Deodhar, he took 14 wkts @22 in 8 matches and is nowhere near the top of averages. If you want to build a more pointless case based on stats, try Ishwar Chowdhury (14 wkts @15), Yajuvendra Krishanatry (17 wkts @16 ) and the good old Varun Aaron (14 wkts @19)

His fc bowling averages were 24, 30 and 20 in the three seasons. Sixty wickets in four seasons at around 25.

Go back and build a better case instead of mindlessly quoting statistics, just as I am doing now.

Last edited:
Three wickets looks very impressive indeed. I would recommend that any player who takes 3WI in a fc match be selected for play for India.
:110:
Chill man, don't get so hyper. :p thanda paani pi
BTW Stopped reading from this point onwards. You really seem to have problems comprehending. Correct it first. tata.

Last edited:

He's not the only one bro, happens. Some are just good enough for domestic cricket. We saw enough of him in his 4-5 outings in int cricket. Was not promising

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has hailed India’s cricketer-turned cop Joginder Sharma for doing his bit in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.

Joginder, who bowled the match-winning final over in the 2007 World T20 final against Pakistan, is a DSP in Haryana Police and is currently involved in dealing with the global health crisis which has killed more than 30,000.

“In his post-cricket career as a policeman, India’s Joginder Sharma is among those doing their bit amid a global health crisis,” the ICC tweeted on Saturday along with Joginder’s photos as a cricketer and cop.

He joined the police service after retirement from the game.

The pandemic has so far claimed over 30000 lives across the world while infecting more than 6.5 lakh people.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/cric...sharma-cricketer-pandemic/article31197499.ece

Yuvraj Singh, the former India cricketer, recalled India’s 2007 T20 World Cup victory on the final hero’s, Joginder Sharma, birthday on Friday.

Joginder, who bowled the final over against Pakistan, turned 37 and the vice-captain of that team, Yuvraj, took to Twitter to wish him a happy birthday.

“DSP Sahab [MENTION=132601]jogi[/MENTION]sharma83 aapke ek over ne 2007 ko aitehasik bana diya &#55358;&#56618; Janamdin ki shubhkamnaein &#55356;&#57218; Hamesha khush raho. Hope you are doing well. Stay safe and have a wonderful day ahead,” he wrote.

On September 24, 2007, India won the inaugural T20 World Cup beating Pakistan by five runs in a last-over thriller. MS Dhoni won the toss and elected to bat first and Gautam Gambhir anchored the innings with a 54-ball 75. Rohit Sharma contributed with a 16-ball 30 to help India post a fighting total of 157.

With 13 runs needed off the last over, Dhoni gave the ball to Joginder, instead of Harbhajan Singh or Yusuf Pathan. Misbah managed to hit a six in the final over but threw his wicket away trying to play a scoop shot off a slower delivery. S Sreesanth took the catch at short fine leg as India won the match with three balls to spare.

Joginder played four matches and picked up four wickets in that tournament. Interestingly, the medium-pacer didn’t play a single T20I after the final. The 37-year-old is currently a Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) in Haryana.

India haven’t won the T20 World Cup since 2007. The next T20 World Cup will be held in 2020 in Australia.

https://indianexpress.com/article/s...day-2007-t20-world-cup-final-victory-6852951/

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Announced retirement from cricket Thanks to each and everyone for your love and support &#55357;&#56911;❤️&#55357;&#56397;&#55357;&#56397; <a href="https://t.co/A2G9JJd515">pic.twitter.com/A2G9JJd515</a></p>— Joginder Sharma &#55356;&#56814;&#55356;&#56819; (@MJoginderSharma) <a href="https://twitter.com/MJoginderSharma/status/1621410349332467712?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 3, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That final was his last international game. Never played again

Back