2017 Season

Big Mac

Senior T20I Player
Runs
Post of the Week
I know that I can't be the only person that plays here so let's talk about how our season is going. [MENTION=137677]Thivagar[/MENTION] [MENTION=134867]Kiri[/MENTION] [MENTION=1549]Rickz[/MENTION] [MENTION=2016]Rana[/MENTION] [MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION] [MENTION=133007]whoever[/MENTION]elseplaysclubcricket

First day of Ramadan and I have a match today. It's pretty hot outside so I reckon I might die, in which case I bequeath my GIF collection to whichever one of you takes the most wickets with rank long-hops this season.

Camp yourself at first slip but avoid getting within breathing-on-person territory when banter is required.

Its off-season here and I'm pretty much clinically depressed.

Thankfully the weather has changed and now it's cloudy with a nice breeze. I may survive the day after all.

Season has been a bit crap so far in the season considering how strong our team is yet we have only got 14 points out of a possible 40 to show for it

Pitch is nice and hard but has a bit of moisture from yesterdays rain and quite a few patches of grass. Home side reckon this is the first time they've had a decent batting track in ages so expect 95 all out :srt

Batted nine last week, opening today:))

Opposition scored 216/7 from their 45 overs, I came on first change and was a bit rubbish. Bowled two or three good balls an over but also gave one boundary ball each over too and ended with 7 overs, no wickets for 39 runs.

Then opened the batting, felt pretty comfortable but only managed two runs before a good ball leapt off a full-ish length and caught the shoulder of the bat. Need to bribe the captain with mithai so I can get into the middle order and cash in against the third and fourth change trundlers with an older ball. Right now I'm either batting at the tailend of the innings or I'm opening because nobody else wants to do it :))

Worst thing of all though, my figures were uploaded onto play-cricket as 7 overs for 59 because whoever was scoring has terrible handwriting :mv:mv:mv

Hahaha keep it going Big Mac!

I had a 25 over game and a 50 over game back to back last Saturday. Bowled 15 overs of fast bowling in one day and took 9 wickets ( 4 in first and 5 in the 50 over game) and scored 25* and 29. It's Wednesday and my body is still cramping. And coming weekend, I have 4 games, 2 25s, 1 50 and 1 35. I am actually scared.

Sick of the failure of the tuk tuk approach so far this season, I decided to play each ball on its merits regardless of the match situation. This is the time for brave, aggressive, modern cricket.

First ball I faced ended up in the hands of deep extra cover. :afridi

Not being able to practice at all means my bowling is still crap, although I did get my first wicket of the season with a legside stumping as the batsman charged down the wicket. Had an edge go past the keeper and a dropped catch too but the ball still lands nowhere near where it should :mv

Sick of the failure of the tuk tuk approach so far this season, I decided to play each ball on its merits regardless of the match situation. This is the time for brave, aggressive, modern cricket.

First ball I faced ended up in the hands of deep extra cover. :afridi

Not being able to practice at all means my bowling is still crap, although I did get my first wicket of the season with a legside stumping as the batsman charged down the wicket. Had an edge go past the keeper and a dropped catch too but the ball still lands nowhere near where it should :mv

Hahaha

Don't put too much doubt. You are just going through a bad patch. Everyone goes through that and self doubt comes in. Don't slog, just hit the ball hard to the ground and bat from the non striker. My stats for the last weekend.
Saturday morning
First t25
5-0-23-1 and scored 1. Got bowled on the best bowl I have ever played. Got Yorkered, ball swung from outside leg to hit the bottom of my off stump

Saturday afternoon
5-0-15-0
Didn't bat as we got opposition out quick for 101. As a captain, gave our lower order chance

Sunday morning
5-0-52-1.
First time in my life, I was smacked to all corners of all the ground by a paaji from India. Tbf I was really low on pace as I was really cramped
Scored 31 of 21 and almost brought match till I bowled off a shooter that landed in the middle of pitch, and hit the bottom of my off stump. I was trying to glide that ball to third man. My bat wasn't even close

Sunday afternoon
35 over match
4.4-24-2
My pace was half

And scored 24 of 39

Strange enough I am not that cramped this week

Have two t25s and two fifty over matches coming weekend. Really excited.

Hahaha

Don't put too much doubt. You are just going through a bad patch. Everyone goes through that and self doubt comes in. Don't slog, just hit the ball hard to the ground and bat from the non striker. My stats for the last weekend.

If I was good enough to hit the ball where I wanted it to go I wouldn't be so rubbish :mv

It's so bloody hot outside, Eid can't come quickly enough.

Second duck in a row, mid-on dived to his left and took it one handed. No luck at all this season :))

Other team has set us 196 to win from 45 overs on a pitch that is up and down. Had them in all sorts of trouble before one of their tailenders came in and smashed a rapid 50 to make it into a good total.

Spent all week trying to picture my action in my head and work out what I was doing wrong with my action. Been going round the house bowling randomly and the end result was 9 overs, one wicket for 24 which is a huge improvement from my usual 7-8 rpo this season.

135 all out :srt

It was like a bunch of Shaz's out there

Didn't bowl, but scored 23 before being top edging a reverse sweep off a seam bowler

:rahat1 :rahat1 :rahat1

Have to say alhamdullilah the practicing is now paying off, was so close to quitting last season because no matter how much effort I put in I was getting out for low scores a lot of time in single digits.

But now Mash'Allah in the last few games have scored few fifties (before throwing it away lol) which I wasn't even getting last time. Also picking up wickets now on consistent basis, 2 fifers in the last 4 games mA, action was also all over the place last year.

Think a lot has to do with my ability to play the short ball better now than I could last year, even started a thread about that. Been leading into the shot with head first instead of feet first which has helped me play as a unit.

Last edited:
Have to say alhamdullilah the practicing is now paying off, was so close to quitting last season because no matter how much effort I put in I was getting out for low scores a lot of time in single digits.

But now Mash'Allah in the last few games have scored few fifties (before throwing it away lol) which I wasn't even getting last time. Also picking up wickets now on consistent basis, 2 fifers in the last 4 games mA, action was also all over the place last year.

Think a lot has to do with my ability to play the short ball better now than I could last year, even started a thread about that. Been leading into the shot with head first instead of feet first which has helped me play as a unit.

Yeah, I've stopped worrying about my feet and trying to focus on getting my head to the ball. I don't care if it looks ugly, as long as my head is over the ball and relatively still I feel like I should be OK.

I haven't netted at all this season so any adjustments I've made have been mental so far and although 23 runs isn't a lot for most people, it's a mammoth score by my usual standards. One thing that seems to have helped was the fact that before every ball I was looking around the field and looking for the gaps. That way it stopped my mind being cluttered with a thousand thoughts, all that was in my head was the two or three shots that were on and I ended up rotating the strike quite comfortably.

Yeah, I've stopped worrying about my feet and trying to focus on getting my head to the ball. I don't care if it looks ugly, as long as my head is over the ball and relatively still I feel like I should be OK.

I haven't netted at all this season so any adjustments I've made have been mental so far and although 23 runs isn't a lot for most people, it's a mammoth score by my usual standards. One thing that seems to have helped was the fact that before every ball I was looking around the field and looking for the gaps. That way it stopped my mind being cluttered with a thousand thoughts, all that was in my head was the two or three shots that were on and I ended up rotating the strike quite comfortably.

125 today 3 dropped catches, one just missed slip lmao :)))

Got my fair share of luck today. I take back what I said about playing bouncers well. Played against a proper pacer today and took my eyes off quite a lot of the time when it was coming for my head. It's probably one of my bigger weaknesses.

125 today 3 dropped catches, one just missed slip lmao :)))

Got my fair share of luck today. I take back what I said about playing bouncers well. Played against a proper pacer today and took my eyes off quite a lot of the time when it was coming for my head. It's probably one of my bigger weaknesses.

:)) Congrats. Now get a chanceless hundred next time and you will gradute from :shezzy to :rahat1

I have no idea what is going on with my batting, dismissed for just one run even though I thought the bowler was a bit crap, almost [MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION]'s level.

My own bowling is starting to click, had to readjust my grip because of my finger so I'm bowling fewer big spinning leg-breaks but it makes it easier to bowl a slider. Picked up 2 wickets for 8 runs and four of those runs were because the man at point missed a top edged cut. I just need to find a way to start adding some runs and then I can make Rahat proud.

Am going to return next summer [MENTION=865]Big Mac[/MENTION] to end your career for good

Weird day today, first game batted well, contributed to a lot of the total, bowling was ok.

2nd game faced a similar pacer as before and only got one run off him :ibutt but had to put away my selfish desires and gave strike to the other guy who was smashing everything.

Sadly it's hard to have a quick fix vs pace, just gotta go back to net sessions and slowly build up to that pace as I face deliveries. More than that was trying to hit too hard since guy has a reputation so I wanted to prove myself :asif

But have cut down the unnecessary shuffling a lot since last year, just stay as still as possible and go big.

Didn't bowl that well today but still managed 1 for 19 from 4 overs with yet another batsman stumped. Batting is still reminiscent of [MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION] and I keep giving my wicket away with silly shots, made 5 runs without any fuss whatsoever and then got out slashing at a wide one from their opening bowler. It was the last ball of his allotted nine overs as well, could have left it and cashed in against the spinners :mv

Gloved an attempted pull, keeper took a diving one handed catch down the legside and literally five seconds later the rain started pelting down and everyone started running to the clubhouse :mv :mv :mv

Half way through my club season in the UK. 19 league wickets so far from 9 games.

With the weather getting better, I've been given more overs now so waheeeeey! Also, I've given up on flighting the ball more as my stock delivery. Decided to dart them in and let the spin do the work. Getting more turn now so yaaay.

pretty good so far with playoffs coming in 2 weeks. 550 runs in 11 games with 2 not outs and 4 50s, 140* highest score and all while opening the batting and good tight fielding at point or boundary riding.

pretty good so far with playoffs coming in 2 weeks. 550 runs in 11 games with 2 not outs and 4 50s, 140* highest score and all while opening the batting and good tight fielding at point or boundary riding.

That's pretty good.

Am running into the same issues as before again. I start the season off great, but then slowly my short ball weakness gets worse for some reason. It's not that I don't know how to play it, but it's just that fear of getting hit, and it ruins everything. When I start facing someone genuinely fast it weighs on me and then even full deliveries I'm suppose to play on the front foot I hang back instead to caution off against short bowling and get out, because my mind doesn't want the body to get hit.

Yesterday I closed my eyes and pulled during net session and hit my nose :facepalm:

It's really frustrating. I have a decent technique, am just not strong mentally.

Supporting Shoaib Malik ironically for so long has done this to me I think, is this karma?

That's pretty good.

Am running into the same issues as before again. I start the season off great, but then slowly my short ball weakness gets worse for some reason. It's not that I don't know how to play it, but it's just that fear of getting hit, and it ruins everything. When I start facing someone genuinely fast it weighs on me and then even full deliveries I'm suppose to play on the front foot I hang back instead to caution off against short bowling and get out, because my mind doesn't want the body to get hit.

Yesterday I closed my eyes and pulled during net session and hit my nose :facepalm:

It's really frustrating. I have a decent technique, am just not strong mentally.

Supporting Shoaib Malik ironically for so long has done this to me I think, is this karma?

I used to be scared of the ball in my younger days but then I played American football for a few years and the short ball isn't as scary after getting the crap kicked out of you by guys twice your size :))

So my advice is to get hit over and over again until you realise that cuts and bruises won't kill you. :shezzy

I used to be scared of the ball in my younger days but then I played American football for a few years and the short ball isn't as scary after getting the crap kicked out of you by guys twice your size :))

So my advice is to get hit over and over again until you realise that cuts and bruises won't kill you. :shezzy

True. Tried sth like that yesterday, threw the ball on the wall and let it hit me lol. As weird as it sounds.

Came out at 5 today because of my sore arm, and then finished the game. 13 off the last over, 5 required off the last ball and I tied the game with a 4 :msd

Last edited:
True. Tried sth like that yesterday, threw the ball on the wall and let it hit me lol. As weird as it sounds.

Came out at 5 today because of my sore arm, and then finished the game. 13 off the last over, 5 required off the last ball and I tied the game with a 4 :msd

Glad to hear it, I knew molding my coaching style after montages from Kickboxer and Bloodsport would pay dividends.

continued my rich vein of form with 138* chasing 223 in 35 overs to finish the game for my team of the last ball

season.jpg

Picked up a 5-fer today and batted decently in the first innings but lost the plot with bat in the 2nd innings.

Which is weird because I barely practice my bowling and focus a lot on the batting yet in these 10-15 over games I struggle to hit big and it is really really frustrating.

I tried to play the ball late today but in my greed to hit big I lost shape and couldn't make good contact.

Am a good puller of the ball, but that's about it.

Honestly I think I'll just stick to my strengths and just play drives and pull.

Can't hit big down the ground, on the offside (which is pretty difficult) or to cow corner. Don't know how to go about practicing it if I'm by myself.

Last edited:
^If it helps to give advice based on my stance etc then here it is:

This is the only "footage" I have lol of some random practice, that too scrapped off of snapchat, about 2 weeks old. It was very windy so that explains the stumps tumbling over.

That back and forth movement with the bat has become a habit, but it helps me hit through the line of the ball with my shoulders doing majority of the movement, few of the English players also have similar pre delivery movement.

I apologize for the vertical filming, I would never do such a grave sin, but the camera man is not me.

Last edited:
Came in at 8 and scored 32 runs, felt pretty comfortable and only got out trying to slog in the final over. Typical that I start feeling good with the bat as the season comes to an end :mv

^If it helps to give advice based on my stance etc then here it is:

This is the only "footage" I have lol of some random practice, that too scrapped off of snapchat, about 2 weeks old. It was very windy so that explains the stumps tumbling over.

That back and forth movement with the bat has become a habit, but it helps me hit through the line of the ball with my shoulders doing majority of the movement, few of the English players also have similar pre delivery movement.

I apologize for the vertical filming, I would never do such a grave sin, but the camera man is not me.

You waved the bat so much the stumps fell over. :rahat1

Final game of the season, 25* and 2 for 10 from 3 overs.

Annoyed that the season is over right as I started to feel good with the bat. :mv

Still plenty of room of improvement though. They brought their opening bowler on to bowl at the death and before the final over, I went over to the non-striker and said "I reckon I'll try and reverse sweep him for six over point". It only went for four runs :mv:mv:mv:mv

Came in at 8 and scored 32 runs, felt pretty comfortable and only got out trying to slog in the final over. Typical that I start feeling good with the bat as the season comes to an end :mv

You waved the bat so much the stumps fell over. :rahat1

Hey man I got some Alastair Cook action going on there :mv

My first 7 innings: 10, 5, 12, 2, 0, 0, 1 Average: 4.3

Last 7 innings: 23, 1, 5, 0, 32, 25*, 26 Average: 18.7

Given that my top score last year was 22 I should probably be pleased but mostly I'm annoyed that I spent the first half of the season trying to bat "properly" rather than trying to reverse sweep everything like I ought to do.

Roll on next year when those 20's and 30's turn into half-centuries. :salute

Was nice to bowl on a good batting pitch a couple of weeks ago as well, as opposed to our normal one with no bounce and big turn. The ball didn't turn much but it had nice bounce so it was possible to attack the stumps without pitching it 18 inches outside legstump. I managed to get a couple of batsmen bowled through the gate with a bit of drift and dip so that was nice.

A shame that it took me all season before my bowling action started to click, need to spend plenty of time in the nets over the winter to make sure I don't regress and turn into a [MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION] level bowler again.

Am going to return next summer [MENTION=865]Big Mac[/MENTION] to end your career for good

F5BCGr4.gif

That's a promise I still intend to keep :))

Haven't seen you here in like forever! hope all is good

When? I'm already old and have grey in my beard now i can barely jog ten yards before i need a rest :ssmith

I'm doing good alhamdulillah I just stopped posting here but I got the email about the forums closing down and came back to find your cowardly behind. You on twitter or discord or anything like that where we can get hold of each other?

Back