[VIDEOS] "I have learnt a lot from him, and it is my aim to emulate Babar Azam": Abdullah Shafique

Australia tour seemingly broke Abdullah Shafique. It wasn't just the poor scores but his costly drops.

Looks technically and mentally shot. What's he thinking chasing a wide ball outside off with zero footwork minutes before stumps ?

Given his form, one must ask why didn't he play any red ball cricket prior to this series ? He should've played these recent Pakistan A matches instead of 35 year old Umar Amin.

Looking like the same old story, a promising cricketer does well at the start and then fails away. It’s sad and frustrating. I hope this doesn’t happen, he is amongst our better talents.

We don’t have alternatives either. It’s either imam who’s looking worse these days or 22 year olds where we’ll hype up and potentially have the same thing happen.

A classic case of a player who needs to be told, sorrys son but of you go to domestic cricket

Horrendous player

Hafeez is a bradman in comparison to him

Looking like the same old story, a promising cricketer does well at the start and then fails away. It’s sad and frustrating. I hope this doesn’t happen, he is amongst our better talents.

We don’t have alternatives either. It’s either imam who’s looking worse these days or 22 year olds where we’ll hype up and potentially have the same thing happen.

I think he has the best technique from these current guys.

Just out of form perhaps.

I still remember his match-winning century against SL in 2023 WC. It was a good one.

He’s emulating babar a bit too closely for my liking.

They should both face the chop. I do rate Abdullah’s ability, but now is the time to take no prisoners.

We should be dropping most of this batting lineup

He’s emulating babar a bit too closely for my liking.

They should both face the chop. I do rate Abdullah’s ability, but now is the time to take no prisoners.

We should be dropping most of this batting lineup
The solution now is to axe everyone except the domestic performers like khurram, Abrar(yes he performed poor but back him), Kamran Ghulam etc etc.

And just fill the team with domestic performers and that's it.

The solution now is to axe everyone except the domestic performers like khurram, Abrar(yes he performed poor but back him), Kamran Ghulam etc etc.

And just fill the team with domestic performers and that's it.
100% agreed!

At least this way u can send a message to youngsters to prioritize First-Class cricket instead of trying to get into the side through shortcuts.

Another timid mediocre taalunt. We have produced an Army of timid players over the past 15 years.

Jason Gillespie today in a presser shared thoughts on Abdullah Shafique's poor form:

They are good players and don't lose their skills over night. Sometimes players don't score runs or take wickets. So what I am expecting from these players is to be a bit consistent off and on the field. So I think we need to support and back these players instead of making drastic changes after a couple of matches.

The most technically correct batsman of Pakistan suffering badly in Test these days what is the reason behind it? Has he lost focus, inspiration or the hunger of glory. What exactly has brought about Abdullah Shafique's dip in form?

1725297536684.jpg

I agree he has had a very poor run but has anybody else had a great run saud one century with him gettin dropped. Saim a 50 ..shaan and babar nothing..agha one good inninga comes at number 6

The most technically correct batsman of Pakistan suffering badly in Test these days what is the reason behind it? Has he lost focus, inspiration or the hunger of glory. What exactly has brought about Abdullah Shafique's dip in form?

View attachment 146052

The basics of cricket never change, when you are out of form and struggling for confidence, you have to go back to domestic cricket, go back to the basics, come back with runs under his belt

Another bang average player who will be in and out of the team for the next decade . Another Asad shadow mould type of player

Australia tour seemingly broke Abdullah Shafique. It wasn't just the poor scores but his costly drops.

Looks technically and mentally shot. What's he thinking chasing a wide ball outside off with zero footwork minutes before stumps ?

Given his form, one must ask why didn't he play any red ball cricket prior to this series ? He should've played these recent Pakistan A matches instead of 35 year old Umar Amin.

Agreed. Think all the regulars should have played in that A match as a warm up as guys who weren't on WC squad haven't played any cricket, let alone Test cricket for quite some time.

Still believe in his potential and it's important to remember despite his recent struggles, he's played some great match winning innings such as that Galle chase, double ton vs SL & WC century on debut to help Pakistan chase down a World Cup record high score. Considering he was picked onto the side after 1 FC match, a dip was expected to happen eventually and unlike seasoned domestic cricketers, there's nothing to fall back on the bounce back.

Shaheen Shah Afridi via PCB video:

"I have a lot of hopes for Abdullah Shafique in this tournament [Champions One-Day Cup 2024]. Hopefully, he breaks all the records. He was out of touch for some time, still, I believe he can do well, but I believe he can still make his name in the white-ball cricket as well."

Abdullah Shafique is still struggling - how much more time does he need to find his rhythm?
He doesn't have rhythm, he made us fool this way with his asia cup 50, Double 100 and wc 2023 100 all achieved against the exact same opposition which was sri lanka.

We don't meed a sri lanka only basher. Abdullah has failed agaisnt every team post Sri lanka so no thanks, he ain't needed

Last edited by a moderator:
Abdullah Shafique is still struggling - how much more time does he need to find his rhythm?
This guy is overrated tbh... he focuses more on being stylish rather than concentrating on scoring runs. It's better to drop him from all formats now and give someone else a chance.

And Shaheen was saying he has high expectations from him...........

Abdullah Shafique in Champions One-day Cup 2024. So far:

Matches: 10
Runs: 10
HS: 9
Average: 5.00
SR: 50.00

Current form and performance is everything in Cricket. He needs to be dropped for next series

He can sit and drink tea with Zimbabar in his home.
He should be dropped for the tests along with Zimbabar.

And Shaheen was saying he has high expectations from him...........

Abdullah Shafique in Champions One-day Cup 2024. So far:

Matches: 10
Runs: 10
HS: 9
Average: 5.00
SR: 50.00
He is clearly out of form and experiencing some technical difficulties. This situation highlights the lack of quality coaches in Pakistan. He needs a skilled coach who can quickly identify his issues and help him get back to scoring runs.

He is not as a bad a players as his recent performances suggest.

He is clearly out of form and experiencing some technical difficulties. This situation highlights the lack of quality coaches in Pakistan. He needs a skilled coach who can quickly identify his issues and help him get back to scoring runs.

He is not as a bad a players as his recent performances suggest.

This is where your mental toughness comes in as a cricketer. Do you have the mental strength, ability to buck yourself up after a string of low scores. Abdullah sadly lacks in this dept, even when you see him bat, you are on the edge of your seat because you can clearly see he is a very nervous starter.

What he is experiencing a crisis of confidence and lack of self belief in his ability.

Back