[VIDEOS] "I have learnt a lot from him, and it is my aim to emulate Babar Azam": Abdullah Shafique

Like I said another weak timid player. Just a domestic level player not cut out for international cricket. Saim ayub and sharjeel khan are leagues above this pathetic player

The guy is trash.

Don't know who is worse - him or imam.

Two terrible openers benched the only match-winner in the side and deservedly Pak are going out for such an idiotic decision.

Abdullah should get more chances in ODIs like others. Before this WC he played only 3 matches in ODIs, so this WC was like a debut for him.

A closer look at his World Cup numbers:

0 v England
4 v NZ
9 v South Africa
20 v India

Just 33 runs in 4 very important matches against the stronger teams.

A closer look at his World Cup numbers:

0 v England
4 v NZ
9 v South Africa
20 v India

Just 33 runs in 4 very important matches against the stronger teams.

To add to Saj's stats:
While he ended up with an average of 42 and a SR of 93 which in theory seems respectable, let's take a look a bit deeper.

I plotted a worm of all of his innings. And what was striking to me was just how slowly Abdullah starts. The black line is if he scores at a run a ball.

As you can see, Abdullah never really cosses that 100 SR line convincingly (except against SL but that was only towards the end of his innings).

What is funny, is that you see CLEAR spikes when he gets to 25, and spikes when he gets to 50. To me, this suggests that he has the ability to press on the gas but doesn't because 1) He stat padds or because 2) he geniunly needs time to get in.
The issue is that because he is VERY slow to start, if he gets out before 25 he eats up so many balls and put a lot of pressure on the other batsmen. For example, he made 9(17) against South Africa and 4(9) against NZ when we were chasing 400+.

And look at the gray worm against Afghanistan. At one stage, he was 35 from 31, but got out at 58 (75). That means he scored his last 23 runs from 44 balls! Which is crazy since he was already set.

While I do think he has potential, (he has shown the ability to get in, and has good technique), he needs to show more intent; otherwise, he should get the boot.

jl7YVRx.png

Pakistan should take him to australia... I want to see this guy getting toyed by starc and company.. He will be exposed badly...he is inferior version of asad shafique... He will score runs once in 10 inning...

Who could have predicted a batsman this early in this career would have technical deficiencies?? My mind is blown

Like I said another weak timid player. Just a domestic level player not cut out for international cricket. Saim ayub and sharjeel khan are leagues above this pathetic player
Pakistan should take him to australia... I want to see this guy getting toyed by starc and company.. He will be exposed badly...he is inferior version of asad shafique... He will score runs once in 10 inning...
He has already played match winnings Innings in tests.

This guy is a wonderful player and needs to be given a very long rope..

I don’t say this about everyone but he is ATG material for sure

Who could have predicted a batsman this early in this career would have technical deficiencies?? My mind is blown

I don't think he has many technical deficiences actually, he's just slow. but it's something he can easily improve

ofcourse sharjeel has set the world on fire hasnt he and Saim what a proven performer he is just like fakhar!!!

I don't think he has many technical deficiences actually, he's just slow. but it's something he can easily improve
I agree slow becuase he doesnt play white ball and not every body can. You tell me where was he for last 4 years not one good oppertunity from the bench was always imam and Fakhar. PCB need to own to up to their mistakes. Even though finishing 5th is a very good achievement as i had them down as finishing 9th with that squad to be honest.

Shoaib Malik on a TV show at A-sports Channel about Abdullah Shafique:

"One thing, he should be confined to the boundaries of two formats, ODI cricket and Test cricket. Don't bring him to T20 side. That's how or what I think.

Up to franchise cricket is acceptable, but not T20. he was permitted to play. He encountered struggles in Tests and ODIs aswell. So, in my view, restricting him to only two formats is advisable."

Shoaib Malik on a TV show at A-sports Channel about Abdullah Shafique:

"One thing, he should be confined to the boundaries of two formats, ODI cricket and Test cricket. Don't bring him to T20 side. That's how or what I think.

Up to franchise cricket is acceptable, but not T20. he was permitted to play. He encountered struggles in Tests and ODIs aswell. So, in my view, restricting him to only two formats is advisable."

Misbah's Reply to Shoaib Malik on Abdullah Shafique in the Same Show on A-sports:

"Look, it depends on the role you are playing. Now, he is playing for Lahore Qalanders, and he is contributing well. I think the most important thing is to tell such player that he should rely on his cricketing shots.

Look, Rohit Sharma is also playing, Virat Kohli is also playing. They are very good batters technically, and they are equally successful. The base is strong. One thing is important here. I still think the start Abdullah got. Abdullah has scored less. Otherwise, he was also a batter of caliber who would have scored 500 runs. The team situation has turned around that way. He followed that way.....40, I think, the way conditions were, he was also a 70-80 average batter, which he could do.

And the second thing, needs to be conveyed to Abdullah, you should tell him again and again because he is young. Have to make him realize. oftentimes his leg crosses slightly because he loves the On side, even on spinners too. So, he should be guided in practice sessions, match to match. We need to talk. Here he scores runs, but here the chances of getting leg before are higher. Left-arm spinners too."

Last edited:
On this day wish a very happy birthday to rising star batter of Pakistan, Abdullah Shafique.

Did Abdullah show enough talent for Pakistan to keep supporting him?

Abdullah got a start today but wasn't able to carry on in the warm up match against Australia's Prime Minister's XI.

38 (76)

Another day, another soft dismissal for him. He really needs to be on the top of his game by now. Throwing his wicket away in such a soft way is not good at all.

Abdullah Shafiq is hanging on nicely against the fiery pace trio of Australia at Perth in the first test match. No throwing his wicket should be his prime focus and see off the new ball to get some runs later.

Commentators also said that he has a similar technique to Babar Azam as well. Praised him overall for his solid technique.

Another 30-40 for Shafique. Needs to stop premeditating shots and go for big daddy hundreds please. You have the ability.

"He’s a good young player, he’s had a good start to his Test career. What I like about him the most is that he’s aggressive against spin.

"I like the look of him. I think he’s going to be a better player than Babar Azam."

- Simon Katich on Abdullah Shafique

After the end of Day-2 of the Australia vs Pakistan 1st Test, speaking to PCB Media, Abdullah Shafique said:

"Firstly, the bowlers put in a good effort, and they (Australian Batters) also batted well in parts. After that, the way the innings started, especially with the new ball, is always challenging, especially on away tours. We kept that in mind and tried to give the team a good start. As an opener, we aimed to build a solid foundation so that we can come back into the match. We made an effort, and Imam bhai is playing well. We have a strong batting lineup, so we'll try our best, InshaAllah, to get close to the target."

"Yes, the bowlers made commendable efforts, especially Aamer Jamal, who bowled a very good spell and took 6 wickets. I congratulate him. The Australians play here frequently and are familiar with the conditions. We were aware that they would set a good total."

"We have an experienced batting lineup, In past we have performed well in Test matches. I genuinely hope that we will approach the target closely. As a batting unit, we will strive to play well."

To be honest, if we consider the conditions, Abdullah Shafique's 42 (121) is very useful.

Chasing 450 and Abdullah is gone early. This is not a good start for him. Should have played a match-saving innings or at least he could have played till the end of the day. That was not good at all from him.

Abdullah Shafique departs in the first over for 2 after edging an inswinging delivery from Starc to the keeper.The inswinger from a left-handed bowler troubled him during the World Cup as well. Perhaps something that he needs to work on.

WiD672H.png

Abdullah Technique and Asad Technique are two peas from the same pod: beautiful but unproductive. Abdullah played with around ~75% control in the first inning. He got a scorcher in the 2nd, but his "technical correctness" should have negated that.

Fake technique. He just wants to look pretty for the cameras.

Holds his pose at least 10 times every innings. Nothing player.

He's a good batter, but needs to show more intent. Even in today's practice game against Victoria XI, he made 26 (58) at a SR of 45. The slowest out of the top 7 bu quite a bit.
You can't allow Aussie bowlers to bowl at you like that.

His emulation is not working for him. He should be looking to change his idol for good.
Yes he should set better benchmark if he really wants to prosper as a player. Always follow those players who play for the team & win for the team

He's a good batter, but needs to show more intent. Even in today's practice game against Victoria XI, he made 26 (58) at a SR of 45. The slowest out of the top 7 bu quite a bit.
You can't allow Aussie bowlers to bowl at you like that.
I agree he needs to play with more intent but he's a very good batsman.

Good batter, but needs to start converting these starts now. Useless 30s and 40s won’t win you Test matches.

Has a tendency to throw his wicket away aswell.

Abdullah and dropped catches has been a story Pakistan will not like. He dropped another sitter today that too was of David Warner on just 2 runs. I wonder why he is still at the slip after the first test blunder.

1703564606879.png

Abdullah Technique showing proper techniques how to drop regulation slip catches. Great pose as usual.

This guy drop dollies every single match.. He is as useless a fielder as he is a batter. Needs to get rid of him...not from slip cordon but from team.

That would have been a costly leave for Abdullah but he survives due to umpire's call. You can do better than that.

1703647407489.png

After getting two chances he still couldn't make it big.... This guy is a mental midget... Give him Bangladesh, srilanka or west indies on a flattest of deck he would still struggle to score a hundred..He is in team for around 2 years now but still look as nervous as a tailender..

That was some catch to remove Abdullah who was comfortable out there with Shan.

:

While speaking to the press after Day 2 of 2nd Test against Australia, Abdullah Shafique said:

"No fielder wants to drop a catch, but it’s part of the game, so we accept it. This is cricket, so there will be good times and bad times. Should I have caught that catch, we would have been in a good position, but it’s part of the game."

Time for Babar to learn from Abdullah Shafiq

After getting two chances he still couldn't make it big.... This guy is a mental midget... Give him Bangladesh, srilanka or west indies on a flattest of deck he would still struggle to score a hundred..He is in team for around 2 years now but still look as nervous as a tailender..

Still better than the over rated over hyped Babar Azam

This guy drop dollies every single match.. He is as useless a fielder as he is a batter. Needs to get rid of him...not from slip cordon but from team.
You obviously didn't see his catchers against England.

How many chances did Australia get ?

he hasn't dropped catches, he has dropped the match. He should have taken both Smith and Marsh catches, he is nervous and scared as a chicken.

Abdullah should focus more on his batiing and fielding rather than just come and do presser after the day ends.

Maybe he should have learned properly on how to take routine slip catches as well as not putting spectators on sleep while batting like a clueless idiot. The lad wasted all his energy on trying to emulate an artificial 🐐. This is going to be another loss project for PCB five years down the line.

Mark Waugh on Abdullah Shafique "I see a bit of Virat Kholi in him sometimes with the shots that he plays."

Not the way that he fields though!

Overrated timid player. Won’t ever win a substantial important match. Reminds me of Asad shafique flatters to deceive

Overrated timid player. Won’t ever win a substantial important match. Reminds me of Asad shafique flatters to deceive
Asad Shafiq is still 10x the man this fool is.

Asad still scored a fighting 137 odd chasing 400+ in Australia and got us incredibly close.

This nervous wreck can only dream of such a performance, while dropping half a dozen regulation catches.

Drops dollies, bores the hell out of everyone while batting, goes missing when crunch time arrives, makes sure to get a perfect pose even while getting dismissed.
That's your next big thing, Pakistan cricket. 👍

He should forget that he should follow anybody. Try to make your own name and focus on your batting rather than trying to be stylish for nothing.

Here even babar is struggling, no hope for this hopeless cheap copy of babar...He is not an impact player, he will never be.. People hyping him by comparing this batsman with babar and kohli.. He should be compared to a tailender... I am sure shaheen will perform better than this guy... Said it earlier, he would find out in Australia and he did. He should be thrown away just for his drop catches every match. Maybe investigated for fixing too... I haven't seen anyone dropping such dollies except for kamran akmal who himself was a fixer..

Last edited by a moderator:
He should forget that he should follow anybody. Try to make your own name and focus on your batting rather than trying to be stylish for nothing.
I have always felt he focuses a lot on appearance and is more preoccupied with technique than required

When you try to emulate Babar, but look like Kohli ;)

HmXvnG8.png
that's got to be the worst compliment VK has ever received. He must be feeling embarrassed to be compared with a fake technique poser. It's even more ridiculous than the comparisons with 👑 Babar

Last edited by a moderator:
Out 2nd ball
Definitely not the shot of a man with confidence

clekzsw.png

Back