[VIDEOS] "I have learnt a lot from him, and it is my aim to emulate Babar Azam": Abdullah Shafique

Unfortunately standard Abdullah dismissal.

Across the line, looking to play on the on side. Plumb in front.

Unfortunately standard Abdullah dismissal.

Across the line, looking to play on the on side. Plumb in front.
Yeah that was poor shot to play when you are looking good on the crease. He should have handled it better.

Brainless dismissal when it was time for him to kick on. Made a 50, boosted his stats and got out when he was most needed. Typical.

He’s overrated should have kicked on

Last edited by a moderator:
We don’t need another batter who feasts on weak bowling attacks at home. So I hope Abdullah doesn’t try to emulate Babar.

Only lasted 8 balls after getting his 50. Emulating Babar Azam should be a crime.

He is relatively inexperienced. Imam is more experienced. So his role had to be bigger instead of leaving it to newbie. Having said that he is another guy who has suspect game against short ball. In large sized grounds they will easily trap him.

He is relatively inexperienced. Imam is more experienced. So his role had to be bigger instead of leaving it to newbie. Having said that he is another guy who has suspect game against short ball. In large sized grounds they will easily trap him.
nah he is gonna be fine if he keeps grinding hard...only problem is that our players stop grinding once they start making some money

My problem with Shafiq is that he is too focused on looking pretty. He holds his pose at least 2-3 times every innings and at times his batting appears very mechanical.

Nonetheless, he has taken his chances and there is little chance of Fakhar disposing him.

He has done to Fakhar what Fakhar did to Shahzad.

My problem with Shafiq is that he is too focused on looking pretty. He holds his pose at least 2-3 times every innings and at times his batting appears very mechanical.

Nonetheless, he has taken his chances and there is little chance of Fakhar disposing him.

bro that pose is not for cameras, its done to hold your balance.

If a batter is able to learn how to shift his balance properly than he is bound to become a very good batter. Abdullah does all this because it becomes easier for him to transition his balance towards the shot he plays

Exactly my observation. This guy is a bit too focussed on how he appears playing his shots.
Just doesn't come across as a naturally gifted batsman.

Seems to have a good head on his shoulders with a sane choice for role model. Other players just name XYZ player from other countries that they've only seen on the television and are number one in every ranking except the official one.

Exactly my observation. This guy is a bit too focussed on how he appears playing his shots.
Just doesn't come across as a naturally gifted batsman.

No batsmen is naturally gifted lol, they all have their own techniques and poses and shots.

But no, he isn't trying it for the camera lol, it's how he genuinely plays.

My problem with Abdullah is his power game is 0. Even when he perfectly times it it barely goes over lol, all his shots are so sluggish.

Lone warrior. His character arc has been interesting.

Domestic trailblazer ->
Started batting like a snail in internationals due to nerves
-> international trailblazer (so far)

All the best to him. In Sha Allah.

bro that pose is not for cameras, its done to hold your balance.

If a batter is able to learn how to shift his balance properly than he is bound to become a very good batter. Abdullah does all this because it becomes easier for him to transition his balance towards the shot he plays
I know the ins and outs of batting. I have studied batting more than any aspect of cricket.

There have been countless batsmen with great balance. Kohli, Root, Williamson, Tendulkar and even Babar have great balance but no one holds the pose like Shafique except Tendulkar who also had the tendency to show off for the cameras.

Shafique is also very focused on looking good for the cameras.

I know the ins and outs of batting. I have studied batting more than any aspect of cricket.

There have been countless batsmen with great balance. Kohli, Root, Williamson, Tendulkar and even Babar have great balance but no one holds the pose like Shafique except Tendulkar who also had the tendency to show off for the cameras.

Abdullah Shafique is not a world class batsman but he is much better than Imam and Fakhar. He plays spin a lot better than Babar Azam

Every batsman has his own way of shifting there balance. If that is how Shafique likes to do it whats your issue?

As long as he score runs, he can bat naked for all i care

No that's wrong of him to have Zimbabar as a role model. Hopefully he doesn't go Zimbabar's route and only score against Nepal and Zimbabwe.
He did alright against Australia but he should have scored big 120-130 would have been match winning innings.

Every batsman has his own way of shifting there balance. If that is how Shafique likes to do it whats your issue?

As long as he score runs, he can bat naked for all i care
No issue. Just saying that he is a poser.

He is bit of a show pony and that was evident from his century celebration, nothing wrong in it if he does his job

You can read every book on cricket in the world but nothing will displace actually picking up a bat and seeing what it’s like for yourself.

I want Abdullah Shafique to model his game on Rohit Sharma and practice the big shots in the power play via cricketing shots. He has shown in the PSL that he can do it.

I want Abdullah Shafique to model his game on Rohit Sharma and practice the big shots in the power play via cricketing shots. He has shown in the PSL that he can do it.
Let Abdullah be Abdullah

Its like asking Bumrah to bowl like Shoaib Akhtar

Let Abdullah be Abdullah

Its like asking Bumrah to bowl like Shoaib Akhtar

Pakistan needs to follow India's example where the technically correct batters can play in all situations, handle all sorts of bowling in different conditions and can balance technically correct orthodox cricketing shots with daring shots over the top of the field. We need to have players who can shift gears and accelerate from 50 of 70 balls to 160 of 120 deliveries like Indian batters like Rohit, Gill, Kohli frequently do.

Our batting is too one dimensional where our technically correct players can't play aggressive improvised shots when bowlers pin them down or we have sloggers, hacks who lack 360 degree stoke play and are very easy to work over by the opposition bowlers.

I do think he can hit 6s vs pace. He just needs to work on his power game. He's our best hope of winning us an ICC trophy in the next decade otherwise cupboard is bare.

Can you please provide a detailed analysis on him as a batsman, cricketer overall and and what you feel the future holds for him?
@Mamoon how would you rate him & in your opinion what is his ceiling as a batter in all formats for Pakistan?
I find him to be a rich man’s Asad Shafiq. A more talented version.

He is obsessed with looking pretty and a having a picture perfect technique but he produces moments of madness out of nowhere and throws it away.

His body language is also negative most of the time and he appears nervous.

He is an okayish player and like almost everyone Pakistani player, he is overrated because he is nowhere near as good as his deluded fans think.

Also, there is absolutely no way he is only 23. He is at least 5-6 years older than his stated age.

He will play for 4-5 years and then disappear which is the story of most Pakistani players anyway.

In summary, not someone to lose your sleep over. He is just there.

Note:
Guys, there is no need to be involved in any personal conversation here. Please stick to the topic of the thread.

Good player but seems to play with heavy hands. Have a feeling it might hinder is strike rotating ability.
Seems nervous every time he steps out.
He also has a weakness with the ball coming into him early in his innings which I am always cautious of.
Haven't seen his ability to change gear this World Cup which I've seen it in the domestic circuit. Maybe he's scared of loosing his place, maybe WC nerves or maybe he's just facing better quality bowling.

But if he manages to overcome some of these issues he'll be a long term solution for Pakistan.

century against Srilanka

fifty against Australia

fifty against Afghanistan

Last edited:
Abdul Razzaq about Babar Azam’s influence:

"When Abdullah Shafique was playing he was aggressive but when Babar came in to bat, he was stopping his shots, which means he got guidelines to not hit the shot. He tried to stop the ball or play a half-hearted shot. The ball he got out on was not a wicket-taking ball, it seemed like he did not know how to play. This means that whenever the captain is on the crease the strike rate of other players is 78 to 80. It means that he was told to play like that,"

"This is not cricket. You are scoring 270 against such teams, target should be around 350. This should have been your approach. They say Babar doesn't know captaincy then what are the people in management doing? They should help him out. What are they writing stats,"​

Has been a good performance from him considering he's not even played 15 List A games.
Strike rotation needs improvement and I think he's capable of it

Abdullah Shafique is looking good but he needs to learn to play to the teams requirements.
Change gears and strike rotation seem like his achilles heel and considering the importance of the NRR, he needs to step up.

Decent enough batsman for longer formats. Similar to Saud Shakeel, not superstar material, but a good solid player with correct technique.

Some of his shots are breathtaking, he needs to show more but a much better option than Imam ul Haq.

Good find. Similar to Babar. His Test credentials definitely hold him in good stead. If i have to compare an Indian, Rahane is the closest someone who plays sublime shots then slows down in phases. But new rejuvenated Rahane has become a six hitter though.

Former Indian and Pakistani cricketers commented on Abdullah Shafique’s Batting performance.

Ravi Shastri:

"Abdullah is a solid opener. He has the temperament and technique needed for an opener. Abdullah has good footwork and nice swing of the bat with a wide range of shots,"

Mohammad Kaif:
"Abdullah Shafique knows the art of run-making. He can attack but is never rushed, he can defend but never gets stuck. One player, all formats,"

Mohammad Hafeez:
"I have never seen a stylish batter with such a beautiful technique like Abdullah Shafique in my career. He can make the records for Pakistan in the future,"​

Former Indian and Pakistani cricketers commented on Abdullah Shafique’s Batting performance.

Ravi Shastri:

"Abdullah is a solid opener. He has the temperament and technique needed for an opener. Abdullah has good footwork and nice swing of the bat with a wide range of shots,"

Mohammad Kaif:
"Abdullah Shafique knows the art of run-making. He can attack but is never rushed, he can defend but never gets stuck. One player, all formats,"

Mohammad Hafeez:
"I have never seen a stylish batter with such a beautiful technique like Abdullah Shafique in my career. He can make the records for Pakistan in the future,"​
I hope that such high level of praisal from such accomplished cricketers gets into his head.

Poor performance from Babar Azam in this world cup I think somehow a bit related to overhyping by former cricketers.

Please stay away from Babar

Last edited by a moderator:
Abdullah should focus on his own game rather then trying to follow someone else. Make a name for your own self.
Show your full potential as he has not yet fully shown his ability.
He is a much better player then the current one. Needs to convert his 60 and 70 into three figures.

He's got gears. No wonder Imam has looked shaky since the addition of Abdullah in ODI side

Honestly, he needs to pick up his scoring rate in the early stages of the game. I know it may take a few balls to assess the pitch, but he takes too long, and that's a liability for us. For example:

1) On paper, his knock against Bangladesh was okay. He made 68 from 69 at a SR of 98.55. But look at how he started; at one point he was 21 from 34 (SR of 62). Only then did he accelerate at a 135 SR.

2) Even against Afgahnistan, he made 58, but that was probably a reason we lost, because he scored it in 75 balls at a SR of 77. That innings, he started slow as usual; he was 8 from 16. Then he upped his rate, and at one point he was 43 from 48. But after that, his next 7 runs came from 14 balls, which is unacceptable when you are already set!

3) Against South Africa, he got out after making 9 from 17. And that's the problem with him, it takes him a while to get in, and if his gets out in that process, it's a complete waste because he eats up too many balls.

I am not advocating dropping him. He has great technique and can clearly step it up when he needs to. He just needs to work on being faster at the start.

He's stepped up big time this tournament. I thought he was a bit of a mental midget, but he's proven me wrong so far. Although, he still does get bogged down way too easily which forces him to play those risky aerial shots.

Also, I don't want to drag on the age discussions but he's been in the youth systems since a young age IIRC so doubt he's any older than 25.

He is adapting the game formats quite effectively.

Initially, I thought he could only be a test player, but he proved me wrong. He is even a better player in ODIs.

He's one of the few bright sparks in Pakistan cricket - I enjoy watching him bat. Very classical stroke-maker.

I hope he pushes on and strives to improve at this level rather than maintain an average to command a place on that.

Three half centuries and a ton is a good return.

Said it before but Abdullah is an all-format player in the makings. He flashed his power potential in PSL and we are seeing his potential in ODI's as well.

Considering he's only played 4 List A games in his career & 4 ODI's coming into this WC, it's crazy impressive what he has been able to do. He played minimal FC matches before coming into the Test side as well and keeps showing great ability to bat long and make his starts count. Already has 3 memorable knocks to his early Test career as well with that innings vs Australia to draw the losing match, match winning knock vs SL in a huge chase and a double century, which if I remember correctly, is the highest score on the score.

It was hilarious people were ready to discard this kid after 8-9 innings of struggles in Tests. Heck, people questioned why he was even being picked in the squad considering his ODI record at that point. This is why you back talented players once you identify them.

Yes, the boy has certainly learned a lot from his idol on how to go in hiding when the pressure is on. What a pathetic approach, no matter what the asking rate, these guys will always follow their own "Pakistan way". Another modern Pak batsman with outdated 40 year old mindset. Pak will remain forever handicapped in loi as long as these Babar clones are allowed to roam freely. An entire generation seems to have adapted the statpadding culture in their DNA.

Things not going to plan for Abdullah - worrying.

Awful shot. A guy bowls at 80mph and bowls inswing in right handers, play straight at the start to get in.

On repeat:

Head too far over to the off side, ball coming in and plumb lbw.

Back