[VIDEOS] "I have learnt a lot from him, and it is my aim to emulate Babar Azam": Abdullah Shafique

His performance in this series certainly suggests he has successfully emulated Babar in SENA conditions.

That was a peach of a delivery and a Starc special delivery which no batsman in the world can probably navigate.

Then again Abdullah has been poor throughout the series - hopefully he can reflect and improve on his flaws. Still new to the game and very raw to the high level game so these testing times are expected.

That was a peach of a delivery and a Starc special delivery which no batsman in the world can probably navigate.

Then again Abdullah has been poor throughout the series - hopefully he can reflect and improve on his flaws. Still new to the game and very raw to the high level game so these testing times are expected.
A huge gap between bat and pad led to his wicket here. he should learn to play close to the body, or else these kind of deliveries will be a huge problem for him in future.

Quality bowling sides feast on nervous starters and sadly Abdullah shits himself in the first couple of overs everytime he comes out to bat.

Give him Bangladesh or Sri lanka on Rawalpindi pitch...His confidence will return...
There's no difference between him, imaam and saud... All these batsman are at best flat track bully...Throw abdullah and imam out, bring in Zaman to open with saim..

Having these types of “seniors” as role models for our young talents definitely hurts.

Saim was going at it but after seeing Babar stuttering, he too started to take heed and played in a way that was against his style.

Learn from legends like Saeed Anwar, Zaheer Abbas. Don’t take any modern day Pak batsman as a role model or you will regress.

A show pony who is obsessed with looking pretty on cameras and holds his pose multiple times every innings so that the viewers can praise his eye pleasing technique.

He is a very unlikable character.

Definitely should never open for Pak again until he get rid of his nervousness which I doubt because it's in his nature, he can play as a middle order as this will calm his nerves a bit.

Give him Bangladesh or Sri lanka on Rawalpindi pitch...His confidence will return...
There's no difference between him, imaam and saud... All these batsman are at best flat track bully...Throw abdullah and imam out, bring in Zaman to open with saim..
There is a difference between Imam and him/Saud.

Saud especially will continue to be valuable on even difficult Subcontinent pitches and will play innings of real value there.

Imam can only play on the deadest of dead wickets where even Nouman Ali can play.

Did anyone honestly expect him to not do any worse in the second innings?

He is the kind of player that keeps staying in a rut. It’s not like he will improve all of a sudden against lesser oppositions…Australia haven’t had to Test him with left arm spin at all in this series. He was exposed against it earlier on.

Guys like him, Babar and Rizwan keep buying time for themselves against rubbish teams like Sri Lanka

My jury is out on this guy

I definetly think wahab should look to start playing shahzad , sahibzada and fakhar across all 3 formats

If they had been given a consistent run and given the same roads rambo served or played in Sri Lanka against their lallu bowlers or zimbabwe and Bangladesh they too would eventually have 150s and double centuries but would do it in more swashbuckling fashion than nurdle it around and bore us to death like Abdullah, imams and Saud of this world.

I'd rather we have confident daring players like jamal has shown this series than wimps .

Saim I'm on the fence since we have rizwan babar open in t20s and then in odis and test and even t20 you have shahzad , sahibzada and fakhar who look much superior players and all 3 are excellent fielders as well.

It's pretty obvious shan wants to play aggressive cricket and is more inclined to the bazball operandi, where players play their shots and try to dominate if he wants to install that ethos bring in the right players and get rid of the players who simply can't and won't play that way .

The first person need booting out is that nephew who simply nurdles and deflects the ball and stat pads, he's no team player and could never dominate bowling attacks.

He should join his namesake Asad in running the poultry farm. Another timid character in the long list that Pakistan have produced.

Most of his dismisal were due to poor strokes the only wicket taking delivery was that in the third test 2nd Innings.

His performance in this series certainly suggests he has successfully emulated Babar in SENA conditions.
Babar got out to good deliveries,Abdullah got out to poor shots baring 1 or 2 dismisals.

Modern day Azhar Ali with less grit and temperament, Shan as captain needs radicalthinking either ask Abdullah to improve his game or open himself with Sain

His dismissals in Australia have been worrying.

Time and again he's got out to nothing balls and given his wicket away very cheaply.

Today, Abdullah Shafique is batting at No. 6 for Lahore Qalandars against Multan Sultans. Although he is an opener, he is batting in the lower order. What kind of experiment is this?

Why was he not tried to open with Farhan if Fakhar was out of form? Should have played.

------------------------------

Aaqib Javed talking about Abdullah Shafique, not making it into the Lahore Qalandars' playing XI:

“Two things come into play when you think about building a combination for your team. First, you consider how to create a combination that benefits the team. You need to maintain a balance between both aspects. Suppose there’s a player whose best utility lies in playing well at the top order in white-ball cricket. Now, if you observe that Fakhar Zaman is not performing well, but Sahibzada Farhan, who was playing exceptionally in white-ball cricket, we couldn’t play him at the number 3 spot. So, we discussed with Abdullah Shafique that if you click at number four, it won’t just benefit the team but also your career. However, if they get stuck in that position, as management, you think that you have to bring in Kamran Ghulam, who plays consistently at number four. It’s a delicate balance you have to strike.”​

He should have played more games than he did in this PSL. Management made a huge blunder here by keeping him on the bench.

-----------------------------

Abdullah Shafique speaking during the Karachi Kings vs Lahore Qalandars post-match presser:

“As a professional, you should pay more attention to controllable factors and the things can you control. Being selected for the team or playing a match might not be in my hands, but what I can do is put in effort. Whenever I get an opportunity, I should give 110% for the team, and my primary focus is always on that.

SNGPL's Abdullah Shafique scored 81 off 86 balls with the help of eight fours and two sixes against Ghani Glass at Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium (President Cup)

Abdullah Shafique is always an asset in the long format. I don't understand why Lahore Qalandars are being stubborn about making him a T20 player. Abdullah Shafique is doing the right thing by playing red and white ball domestic cricket. Today, his 68 (53) for SNGPL against PTV proved to be a match-winning knock in the President's Cup 2024.

Abdullah Shafique seems like an 80-85 SR player who doesn’t have the 4th gear right now. He should work with coaches to develop a risk free release shot that will help him release the pressure. He shouldn’t be discarded by any means. He should be given a long rope and right coaching.

Abdullah Shafique seems like an 80-85 SR player who doesn’t have the 4th gear right now. He should work with coaches to develop a risk free release shot that will help him release the pressure. He shouldn’t be discarded by any means. He should be given a long rope and right coaching.
Today his strike rate was above 100 and he is fit player for Tests and ODIs

He should not try to emulate babar, Ironically Abdullah I'd actually better when it comes to playing the pull shot and playing spin then Babar.

As for the people mocking his technique, they should realise the technique thing isn't a joke, he's actually ridiculously good in terms of footwork and defense.

The issue is timing and shot selection, I've seen Abdullah get LBW'd multiple times simply because he was caught napping and didn't attempt any stroke.

Abdullah needs to learn to improve these 2 aspects. Once he does he can actually become the greatest pakistani batsmen of this era mainly due to his pure hunger and ability to play extremely long innings.

The issue is, I don't see that happening because every pakistani player besides Fakhar Zaman has an attitude and gets into this rut of thinking they've become a superstar and finished product way to early. Imam probably being the biggest example of this.

Abdullah actually has a better power game than babar.

I've seen him hit sixes against the pacers and clear the infield with ease against them.

I don't know why he didn't open this time for LQ and that played against them this season.

Abdullah actually has a better power game than babar.

I've seen him hit sixes against the pacers and clear the infield with ease against them.

I don't know why he didn't open this time for LQ and that played against them this season.
Brainless stuff from LQ he's far better than hopeless farhan.

Abdullah should have played the whole PSL and who knows, he might have found a spot in the team as well if he continued to performed like he did in those few games. But LQ was too mindless that they opted to continue with fakhar who should have played 1 down because he was struggling at opening.

Abdullah Shafique hit his 2nd list A century today in the ongoing President's Trophy Grade 1 ODI tournament 2024. He scored 101(102) against SBP while playing for SNGPL

He's too much of a nervous starter, quality bowlers will feast on him every time.

Abdullah Shafique hit his 2nd list A century today in the ongoing President's Trophy Grade 1 ODI tournament 2024. He scored 101(102) against SBP while playing for SNGPL
I will not rate this innings highly because, as we can see, the ball was not swinging, the pitch looked batting friendly, and it was slow.

Abdullah Shafique from SNGPL awarded Player of the Tournament in President's Cup for his exceptional batting and fielding performance, he scored 344 runs and took 11 catches in the tournament.

At some point in the future I see Shafique coming back into the first team in all formats with a vengeance.

He is too good to be left out for long periods.

Back