3rd March 2009 - A day of infamy for Pakistan and its cricket

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
The day when terrorists launched an attack on visiting SL team - thus resulting in abandonment of the 2nd Test in Lahore and the series

The repercussions of this attack are felt to this day - the latest casualty being the cancellation of the PSL

A truly sad day for our all of us and a time to reflect as well.

Can't believe it's already been 4 years. Remember the incident like it was yesterday.

Very unfortunate incident really and a very embarrassing security breach. Things could have become lot worse if any of the player got killed but luckily it didn't happen. Same with India regarding 26/11 attacks.

Really shocking news. I remember I was in the 8th grader back then and I was returning from school and then all of sudden I turned on the Radio and heard about the attack.

Truly shocking but one must not forget that it could have been worse. What if any of the cricketers got killed? The attack did leave some of the players but injured but everyone are now fit to play, thank allah for that. Perhaps, this was not the worst possible thing to happen at the moment, this attack truly closed the door on hosting international tours in pakistan for the time beings.

Now imagine what would happened, if the SL bus was not attacked and later on, another teams toured Pakistan and an even worse incident happened? What would have happened then Brothers? Whenever something bad happens, my mom would say to me: "Whatever happens, happens for the good"

Ijaz Butt has still not been held to account for the entire episode which is an equally bigger tragedy in my books.

Can´t believe it has four years now..... Don´t even want to remember the day when I woke up hearing this disastrous news! The only relief for me that day was that the Sri Lankan cricketers were alive.

As a side note, never forget the brave act and the contribution shown by the Pakistani bus driver, Meher Mohammad Khalil, who played a big role that day. A hero:bow::14:!

As a side note, never forget the brave act and the contribution shown by the Pakistani bus driver, Meher Mohammad Khalil, who played a big role that day. A hero:bow::14:!

How come I havent been told about the heroic act of the bus driver? I was young back then, probably didnt know half as much, please enlighten me

Very sad day for cricket and Pakistan but saying that its was pcb's and pak's fault that until today no one has been held accountable and not a single man/ women has been found out of the attacker,

truly shameful,

An awful day.

And it is why it is moronic and distasteful for anyone to talk about international cricket returning to Pakistan. It's an insult to the memory of the dead and to the physical and emotional scars which the poor Sri Lankans will carry around with them forever.

It infuriates me when I see people moaning about Amir and Asif cheating when hosting international cricket has literally become a matter of life and death.

And anyway, Pakistan has improved as a Test side because it never plays at home.

And, more importantly, the Pakistani public couldn't be bothered to attend home Tests anyway, so why should other countries' players risk their lives for the sake of an audience which can't even be bothered to turn up to their local ground?

Good riddance, in my opinion.

Now it's a shame that Pakistan trampled all over England's hospitality in 2010, but playing "home" Tests in England and New Zealand actually briefly improved performances.

I'd like Pakistan to schedule their "home" Tests as follows:

NZ in NZ
Australia, South Africa and England in UAE
India in England or South Africa.
Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe in South Africa
West Indies in West Indies.

This would optimise TV ratings and actual crowds. But it would also mean that away series v Bangladesh and Sri Lanka on small grounds in South Africa could be used to develop techniques to prepare for away series v South Africa and Australia.

Wow that guy truely was a hero! He could have ran out of the bus to save himself but he didnt :14:

Also good gesture by offering him some money and a free holiday package

Yup, very nice of the Sri Lankans:).

I am sorry but 6 people gave up their lives defending our guests & 2 passerby's were shot dead.

Good point. I was talking about the Sri Lankans players.

May the departed souls rest in peace:53:.

Bump - Another year goes by without any international cricket in Pakistan.

The day when terrorists launched an attack on visiting SL team - thus resulting in abandonment of the 2nd Test in Lahore and the series

The repercussions of this attack are felt to this day - the latest casualty being the cancellation of the PSL

A truly sad day for our all of us and a time to reflect as well.

The saddest thing MIG is that no progress seems to have been made to bring cricket back to Pakistan.

The saddest thing MIG is that no progress seems to have been made to bring cricket back to Pakistan.

The progress can only be made if other team agree
In case of indian mumbai attacks England team left the country and as soon as bcci pulled some muscles they came running back
Unfortunately PCB doesnt hold that power

That is the sad part but certainly not due to lack of effort. If anything, some PCB chairmen have waged an almost impossible battle to try to get cricket back to Pakistan. Their efforts perhaps could have been better spent elsewhere.

10 years ! Feels like a lifetime ago.

We can look back at cricket in Pakistan with rose tinted glasses - the criticisms some have about cricket in UAE also applied to cricket in Pakistan. Tests even against India were sparsely attended and some pitches were as lifeless as in UAE. However it was still home.

Given the security situation has vastly improved I wonder which team will break the ice. The Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka and World XI series haven't brought about the revival of international series in Pakistan we hoped.

Back