A proposed PCB NOC policy for T20 leagues

Savak

Test Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
I believe the NOC's for these T-20 leagues should be strongly tied to the following conditions

- Form
- Skillset
- Fitness
- Nutrition
- Discipline
- Domestic Cricket
- Value to the national team and International Calender/Workload Management and elligibility to be compensated by the PCB?
- Quality of the T-20 league and long term benefit to the player

As far as form is concerned, if a player is badly out of form and if there is no domestic cricket in Pakistan going on, but the player is making the effort to iron out his issues at the NCA or else where in his spare time, he will have cleared this box otherwise no.

As far as skillset is concerned, if the player has shown no improvement skills wise or has not added additional tools to his armoury and is also not making the effort in practice, off season or at the NCA, then he will not have cleared this box. I believe this is necessary because when i look at our players, excluding Babar Azam, the vast majority of them i.e. Fakhar Zaman, Imad Wasim, Shadab Khan have not really shown advancement, improvement in their skills, games and they are now at a point where they are comfortably sure they will get selected in the next game, future series that they don't feel any need to work on their skills. Look at Imad Wasim, he is still bowling the same way as he did while he started his career relying on the indrifting dart, he has made no effort to develop the ability to turn the ball away from the right hander, into the left hander, to mix it up and it is no surprise why Warner demolished him knowing full well what to expect from him. Unfortunately our players are not like the Indian players, they need a danda to get them going and if a player is not making the effort to improve his skillset in his spare time, in the offseason, when he is not part of the team, he should not be cleared on this box.

As far as fitness is concerned, the assessment should focus on whether the player is fully fit or not, whether he is carrying an injury or niggle, if yes, has he properly rehabed himself, you can't have a player hiding injuries out of desperation to play in these leagues and if a player has not recovered sufficiently and does not have clearance from highly reputed doctors from the top private hospitals in Pakistan, he should not be cleared on this box.

As far as nutrition is concerned, the assessment should focus on the players yo yo tests, body fat levels, does he meet the eye test, is he following the training and diet plan laid out by the PCB trainers, domestic trainers in his personal life. Does he pass the weekly fitness tests? If not, then he will not be deemed to clear this box

As far as discipline is concerned, is the player in violation of PCB rules, regulations in the last year? If yes then the PCB can penalize the player by refusing to give him NOC's for a certain time period

As far as domestic cricket is concerned, if the T-20 league is clashing with the PCB's local Quaid e Azam regional tournament, ODI, T-20 league then naturally the PCB reserves the right to refuse the NOC and direct the player to play domestic cricket

As far as Value to the team, International Calender/Workload Management is concerned, this i believe is for the elite Pakistani players whose selection is vital for Pakistan and if the international calender is jam packed and the PCB wants the players to rest up, then the player can be deemed to tick off on this box and the PCB can refuse the NOC to the player but at the same time compensate the player for his loss in earnings. Naturally other players whose selections are not that vital to the Pakistan Cricket team can be excused from this category

As far as quality of the T-20 league and long term benefit to the player is concerned, if we are talking about the BPL, Nepal, Afghanistan, Uganda, UAE T-20 league then i would expect the PCB to express reservations over the quality of the T-20 league and even refuse to allow the players to play in such low quality leagues. However if we are talking about the English County T-20 league, Big Bash League, IPL, South African T-20 League or New Zealand T-20 league then i feel the experience will definately be beneficial to our players who will get to play alongside the western players and learn the best professional practices.

I think the PCB should follow this NOC policy and explain this to the players before hand from now on. The skill levels of the Pakistani players have just not kept up with the rest of the world and it is very frustrating as a fan to watch our players just go through the motions, take their selections for granted and not working hard and i thinking the PCB has no choice but to follow the carrot, stick, danda approach.

I would also add, availability for test cricket selection to the list. If a player does not make himself available for test match selection, the PCB reserves the right to refuse the NOC. This will erase the dangerous temptation from the players to quit test cricket and focus on these ODI and T-20 leagues.

What do you think about PCB setting aside a chunk of money for its star players? I think I heard Ramiz Raja propose this. The purpose of playing in so many leagues is to take make money when they are fit enough and in demand. If the PCB compensates its very top bracket players so instead of burning themselves out or being fatigued, they can rest, work at the NCA and get fitter, then it's a good investment.

Not suggesting this for everyone. If Sohail Tanvir or Irfan want to go and play everywhere, they should be able to. For the mid-tier players the rules you detailed can apply. But for the team starters you can do PSL +1 or +2 and compensate them a portion of additional income they could've generated playing more franchise cricket.

Ultimately you can't force players to do what you want all the time. From Kerry Packer to ICL, there's history of the best players choosing money and you can't really hold it against them. They have a limited window to make the best of it. It might be better to be smarter rather than tougher.

I would also add, availability for test cricket selection to the list. If a player does not make himself available for test match selection, the PCB reserves the right to refuse the NOC. This will erase the dangerous temptation from the players to quit test cricket and focus on these ODI and T-20 leagues.

I like this idea. But I also fear it could go the other way when players get together in groups. They might choose to retire from international cricket altogether as a collective bargain tool until a more amenable PCB admin comes through. It has happened with Pakistan before. WI is just getting over something similar right now. It often ends up hurting the national team a fair bit. Might be better served making Test cricket more attractive with higher pay for test players -- a number of whom don't play other formats.

Last edited:
I think the advent of T20 leagues has given players a big comfort zone. They no longer fear being dropped from the national side or the test squad. Hence they have lost the desire to keep their skills up to date.

A lot of truth to this. Chris Gayle, Andre Russell, and Darren Sammy are playing cricket all over the world while being less than half fit.

Are the PCB messing up Pakistan cricket by not issuing NOCS to players?

I believe in the long term this step of not issuing NOCS to players for foreign leagues or only allowing them for one or two games will seriously damage Pakistan Cricket.

Foreign Leagues including the T10 are good for our cricketers in my opinion. A player like Babar Azam wont forget how to bat sensibly after playing in the T10 but he could get a lot in the way of fine tuning his boundary hitting and improving his second gear in pressure situations during the T10. The bowlers could learn defensive bowling skills.

Furthermore, the income will be good for our cricketers who earn less than their counterparts.

I believe in the long term this step of not issuing NOCS to players for foreign leagues or only allowing them for one or two games will seriously damage Pakistan Cricket.

Foreign Leagues including the T10 are good for our cricketers in my opinion. A player like Babar Azam wont forget how to bat sensibly after playing in the T10 but he could get a lot in the way of fine tuning his boundary hitting and improving his second gear in pressure situations during the T10. The bowlers could learn defensive bowling skills.

Furthermore, the income will be good for our cricketers who earn less than their counterparts.

Its a tough balancing act. The PCB has to ensure that all the players are giving respect to domestic cricket. Plus if the PCB permits the players to play all the T-20 and T-10 leagues in the world, then there is a huge risk of players especially pacers risking injury and not resting given the heavily packed international calender. I believe the NOC policy i am proposing will be the right way to go.

Wasim Khan at a presser:

Our NOC policy is a little confusing and we are reviewing it and we will get it right. We need to give players the opportunity to go and play abroad, the experience will benefit Pakistan cricket. Particularly now, when the domestic cricket isn't being played for a period of time.

For the Abu Dhabi T10, the organiser emailed us and asked for permission but we said our players won't be available. But they went through agents, through players directly so we reluctantly issued conditional NOCs, but we decided to hold camps, etc. and some of the players went to Australia so we called these guys back. With the Qatar T10, there is no domestic cricket now so the players are free to go. But we need to have clarity about the NOCs, that's something we will work on over the next couple of weeks.

Wasim Khan at a presser:

Our NOC policy is a little confusing and we are reviewing it and we will get it right. We need to give players the opportunity to go and play abroad, the experience will benefit Pakistan cricket. Particularly now, when the domestic cricket isn't being played for a period of time.

For the Abu Dhabi T10, the organiser emailed us and asked for permission but we said our players won't be available. But they went through agents, through players directly so we reluctantly issued conditional NOCs, but we decided to hold camps, etc. and some of the players went to Australia so we called these guys back. With the Qatar T10, there is no domestic cricket now so the players are free to go. But we need to have clarity about the NOCs, that's something we will work on over the next couple of weeks.

Too right about "confusing"!

Shouldnt this have been thought about a bit more? Refusing T10 in AD but allowing Q10!

Whatever they decide I hope they keep our players away from these T10 leagues which seem to be attracting matchfixers like bees to a honeypot.

KARACHI: Several Pakistani cricketers are reportedly unhappy with PCB chief selector Wahab Riaz for delaying the issuance of NOCs to players to compete in foreign leagues, such as the Big Bash League in Australia, leading to tension between the two sides.

Sources close to the players said that all-rounder Imad Wasim had decided to end his international career because of the tension prevailing between the chief selector and the cricketers over the issuance of NOCs.

Wasim had announced his retirement on Friday, bringing curtains to his eight-year international career.

"(Chief selector) Wahab has made it clear to all centrally-contracted players that their first priority is to play for Pakistan and also insisted that anyone wanting to be considered for selection to the national team has to make appearances in domestic cricket," a source said.

He added that Wasim decided to retire as he had contracts lined up for lucrative T10 and T20 leagues in the UAE, Australia and South Africa.

"Imad and some other players are yet to be issued NOCs for the T10 league in Abu Dhabi while the board has also not taken a decision on issuing NOCs for the Big Bash in Australia," he added.

PCB chief Zaka Ashraf had recently told the media that the PCB had decided as a policy that centrally-contracted players would be given permission to play in only one league apart from the Pakistan Super League.

Zaka has attributed Pakistan's poor performance in the recently-concluded World Cup in India to his predecessor's decision to issue NOCs to several members of the squad to play in different leagues before the Asia Cup.

Pakistan failed to make it to the World Cup knockout round after losing five of the nine matches.

Wahab, who until recently was active on the franchise cricket circuit and has said he will play in next year's PSL as well, has made it clear that centrally-contracted players must find a balance between national duty and franchise-based leagues, as the PCB wants them fit for different assignments.

Some of the players are not happy with the strong stand taken by Wahab and Zaka and are anxiously waiting for NOCs for the upcoming leagues.

Haris Rauf, who pulled out of the race for selection for the three-Test series in Australia, and some other players have already entered into agreements to play in the T10 league and Big Bash.

TOI

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they should be allowed to play 2 leagues including PSL

Players not playing PSL can play two leagues

No NOC should be issued for T10 type circus if you are centrally contracted

Several Pakistani cricketers are reportedly unhappy with PCB chief selector Wahab Riaz for delaying the issuance of NOCs to players to compete in foreign leagues, such as the Big Bash League in Australia, leading to tension between the two sides.

Sources close to the players said that all-rounder Imad Wasim had decided to end his international career because of the tension prevailing between the chief selector and the cricketers over the issuance of NOCs.

Wasim had announced his retirement on Friday, bringing curtains to his eight-year international career.

"(Chief selector) Wahab has made it clear to all centrally-contracted players that their first priority is to play for Pakistan and also insisted that anyone wanting to be considered for selection to the national team has to make appearances in domestic cricket," a source said.

He added that Wasim decided to retire as he had contracts lined up for lucrative T10 and T20 leagues in the UAE, Australia and South Africa.

PCB chief Zaka Ashraf had recently told the media that the PCB had decided as a policy that centrally-contracted players would be given permission to play in only one league apart from the Pakistan Super League.

Wahab, who until recently was active on the franchise cricket circuit and has said he will play in next year's PSL as well, has made it clear that centrally-contracted players must find a balance between national duty and franchise-based leagues, as the PCB wants them fit for different assignments.

Source: TOI
This one league policy apart from PSL cannot happen in isolation for Central Contracted players I may add. Even with the newly revised contracts the money leagues pay to top players and will be playing in the coming years alone would be much more lucrative than contracts alone.

If leagues are willing to pay a certain amount to your certain star player and that star player cannot play in it because of the policy will be missing out on that certain amount only because 'Centrally Contracted'. This does not apply to Pakistan only, but around the world.

Only BCCI has a single solid policy that has worked for years where the pay the most money to their players in International Cricket, IPL and Domestic Cricket. Ensure a tight international calendar each year and don't allow even their non international players to play in any leagues than their own.

PCB will need to bring in more money to PSL, have more international matches setup and compensate their star centrally contracted players even more. Because the amount the leagues will be playing players will continue to increase.

I believe the NOC's for these T-20 leagues should be strongly tied to the following conditions

- Form
- Skillset
- Fitness
- Nutrition
- Discipline
- Domestic Cricket
- Value to the national team and International Calender/Workload Management and elligibility to be compensated by the PCB?
- Quality of the T-20 league and long term benefit to the player

As far as form is concerned, if a player is badly out of form and if there is no domestic cricket in Pakistan going on, but the player is making the effort to iron out his issues at the NCA or else where in his spare time, he will have cleared this box otherwise no.

As far as skillset is concerned, if the player has shown no improvement skills wise or has not added additional tools to his armoury and is also not making the effort in practice, off season or at the NCA, then he will not have cleared this box. I believe this is necessary because when i look at our players, excluding Babar Azam, the vast majority of them i.e. Fakhar Zaman, Imad Wasim, Shadab Khan have not really shown advancement, improvement in their skills, games and they are now at a point where they are comfortably sure they will get selected in the next game, future series that they don't feel any need to work on their skills. Look at Imad Wasim, he is still bowling the same way as he did while he started his career relying on the indrifting dart, he has made no effort to develop the ability to turn the ball away from the right hander, into the left hander, to mix it up and it is no surprise why Warner demolished him knowing full well what to expect from him. Unfortunately our players are not like the Indian players, they need a danda to get them going and if a player is not making the effort to improve his skillset in his spare time, in the offseason, when he is not part of the team, he should not be cleared on this box.

As far as fitness is concerned, the assessment should focus on whether the player is fully fit or not, whether he is carrying an injury or niggle, if yes, has he properly rehabed himself, you can't have a player hiding injuries out of desperation to play in these leagues and if a player has not recovered sufficiently and does not have clearance from highly reputed doctors from the top private hospitals in Pakistan, he should not be cleared on this box.

As far as nutrition is concerned, the assessment should focus on the players yo yo tests, body fat levels, does he meet the eye test, is he following the training and diet plan laid out by the PCB trainers, domestic trainers in his personal life. Does he pass the weekly fitness tests? If not, then he will not be deemed to clear this box

As far as discipline is concerned, is the player in violation of PCB rules, regulations in the last year? If yes then the PCB can penalize the player by refusing to give him NOC's for a certain time period

As far as domestic cricket is concerned, if the T-20 league is clashing with the PCB's local Quaid e Azam regional tournament, ODI, T-20 league then naturally the PCB reserves the right to refuse the NOC and direct the player to play domestic cricket

As far as Value to the team, International Calender/Workload Management is concerned, this i believe is for the elite Pakistani players whose selection is vital for Pakistan and if the international calender is jam packed and the PCB wants the players to rest up, then the player can be deemed to tick off on this box and the PCB can refuse the NOC to the player but at the same time compensate the player for his loss in earnings. Naturally other players whose selections are not that vital to the Pakistan Cricket team can be excused from this category

As far as quality of the T-20 league and long term benefit to the player is concerned, if we are talking about the BPL, Nepal, Afghanistan, Uganda, UAE T-20 league then i would expect the PCB to express reservations over the quality of the T-20 league and even refuse to allow the players to play in such low quality leagues. However if we are talking about the English County T-20 league, Big Bash League, IPL, South African T-20 League or New Zealand T-20 league then i feel the experience will definately be beneficial to our players who will get to play alongside the western players and learn the best professional practices.

I think the PCB should follow this NOC policy and explain this to the players before hand from now on. The skill levels of the Pakistani players have just not kept up with the rest of the world and it is very frustrating as a fan to watch our players just go through the motions, take their selections for granted and not working hard and i thinking the PCB has no choice but to follow the carrot, stick, danda approach.
Good. Put many conditions so

A player can simply retire and then get to play as many leagues as possible
PCB won't be able to stop the player as he can go to court and win
Everyone has the right to earn money for themselves

Make it simple

Those who sign the central contract will be permitted one league apart from the PSL
Those who dont can play in as many leagues as possible
But come the annual ICC event, everyone would be considered for selection

How are other cricket boards handling their players?
India - nobody is allowed.
Aus - Generally players decide.
others... ??

If players are pushed too much, they can take the retirement route. When IPL started, many top Ausralians (Gilchrist was one) retired so that they could play in IPL. Gone are the days when your national team mattered. It's all business and money. Nothing else. NFL/MLB are the prime examples.... and IPL is right up there with those leagues.

No NOC should be issued for T10 type circus if you are centrally contracted
When ODI cricket started, it was called cricus especially when the colored clothes came in to ODI cricket.... same with T20....some people still call it circus.

If Imad Wasim was not going to get selected, why keep losing money while waiting for NOC or selection into Pak team?
Many top level international players have taken retirements to play in T20 leagues. Gilchrist, ABD, and many more. Why do you think DeKock retired from ODI when he is the form of his life?

Players will start retiring if NOC is not given to play and there is no guarantee that players is in national team.

When ODI cricket started, it was called cricus especially when the colored clothes came in to ODI cricket.... same with T20....some people still call it circus.

If Imad Wasim was not going to get selected, why keep losing money while waiting for NOC or selection into Pak team?
Many top level international players have taken retirements to play in T20 leagues. Gilchrist, ABD, and many more. Why do you think DeKock retired from ODI when he is the form of his life?
Players are free to take retirement and proceed with their wishes and I don't blame anyone. T10 is not even a recognized format. Tomorrow T5 will also start, so PCB has to draw line somewhere

Players will start retiring if NOC is not given to play and there is no guarantee that players is in national team.
Exactly.

Especially when the Boards pick and choose when they will give NOCs to players.

And this is what some don't understand. Instead they want to believe that players are bottling it, or players are running away from international cricket.

The issue is that Boards cannot pick and choose when they give NOCs to players, tell them not to sign lucrative deals for leagues and then not pick them.

How are other cricket boards handling their players?
India - nobody is allowed.
Aus - Generally players decide.
others... ??

If players are pushed too much, they can take the retirement route. When IPL started, many top Ausralians (Gilchrist was one) retired so that they could play in IPL. Gone are the days when your national team mattered. It's all business and money. Nothing else. NFL/MLB are the prime examples.... and IPL is right up there with those leagues.

Why don't Indians play other leagues, even though Indians own majority of franchisees in SA20, ILT20 and MLT20?

BCCI pays them.

Why and how Aussie and English cricketers sometimes skip IPL?

Because their board pays them.

About time PCB starts paying the players more. Someone like Babar or Shaheen should be making a mn USD from PCB.

Look at Shaheen, he will tour Australia, then go to ILT20, then PSL, then County, then WT20. After that probably some Pakistan series. He is a Thoroughbred not a mill pony.

There has to be give and take, we can't have our players playing in all leagues and then being injured, fatigued going into the 2024 T20 WC. We have already seen what happened to Nasim Shah who got injured before the WC and Shaheen was jaded, fatigued, not hundred percent in the WC because he fatigued himself in the hundred, Sri Lanka series, Asia Cup.

Can the PCB afford to compensate the top players for missing out on contracts?

There has to be give and take, we can't have our players playing in all leagues and then being injured, fatigued going into the 2024 T20 WC. We have already seen what happened to Nasim Shah who got injured before the WC and Shaheen was jaded, fatigued, not hundred percent in the WC because he fatigued himself in the hundred, Sri Lanka series, Asia Cup.

Can the PCB afford to compensate the top players for missing out on contracts?

PCB will receive around 34.5mn USD per year from ICC. As per Ramiz Raja that's 50 per cent of PCBs revenue.

So PCB is expected to make around 70mn USD. At least 15 per cent of that should go to the centrally contracted players.

Let's see if then they want to play as many leagues.

A lot of flack for overseas leagues here. My opinion on them has changed in recent times. Players get exposed to different coaching styles and conditions.

I think centrally contracted players should be forced to sit out of all domestic T20 leagues apart from the PSL. KPL, Sindh PL and this other tournament going on at the moment shouldn't be for centrally contracted players.

Furthermore, the PCB should introduce a new type of central contract for T20 players only. Widen the pool out. Players like Zaman Khan, Imad Wasim, Azam Khan aren't going to play test cricket.

For these types of players, PCB should have them on a retainer of some sort to give them security, they will be allowed to play leagues but must pick and choose to ensure they are available for 70% of Pakistanis T20s and 50% of ODIs for example.

Some notable quotes from Mohammad Hafeex during his press conference today regarding this very issue:

"We will soon come up with a clear NOC policy that will be made public. When you're offered a central contract, the FTP of all 3 formats is kept in mind, and players getting central contracts should be available for Pakistan.”

“We have leagues as well, but we saw a lot of talk in the World Cup that players were fatigued due to heavy workloads. We have the T20 World Cup in mind going forward, and the NOC policy will keep Pakistan's priorities in mind. If we want fit players, we need to manage workloads."

"We need to proritize representing Pakistan. We also need to bring playing domestic cricket in Pakistan to the top of our priorities. Red-ball cricket is the most important cricket, but we're seeing many players in Pakistan are moving away from or don't want to play red-ball cricket. To bring focus back, we're going to take some measures. Perhaps some people will feel they're a little harsh, but this is important to save Pakistan cricket."

"Until we aren't playing red-ball cricket well, we can't play any cricket. Long-form cricket polishes your basics, and our strategy is that we will promote players that play red-ball cricket and give them maximum opportunities. If someone has moved away from this path, we need to bring them back to improve their game."

I'm kind of impressed with this stance.

Haris Rauf, Usama Mir and Zaman Khan granted NOCs for Big Bash League 2023-24.

The Pakistan Cricket Board has issued no-objection certificates (NOC) to fast bowlers Haris Rauf, Zaman Khan and leg-spinner Usama Mir for the Big Bash League 2023-24. The board has issued the NOCs considering the workload of players and the future tours programme of the national men's team.

The PCB understands that this decision is in the best interests of all the stakeholders involved while balancing the importance of game time with workload management.

Haris and Usama have been granted NOCs for a total of five matches whereas Zaman has been granted NOC for four matches. All these games are set to take place from 7 to 28 December.

A good decision to give NOCs for a few matches. I'm happy that PCB is now taking workload seriously.

A lot of flack for overseas leagues here. My opinion on them has changed in recent times. Players get exposed to different coaching styles and conditions.

I think centrally contracted players should be forced to sit out of all domestic T20 leagues apart from the PSL. KPL, Sindh PL and this other tournament going on at the moment shouldn't be for centrally contracted players.

Furthermore, the PCB should introduce a new type of central contract for T20 players only. Widen the pool out. Players like Zaman Khan, Imad Wasim, Azam Khan aren't going to play test cricket.

For these types of players, PCB should have them on a retainer of some sort to give them security, they will be allowed to play leagues but must pick and choose to ensure they are available for 70% of Pakistanis T20s and 50% of ODIs for example.
Azam Khan should not play in any format for Pakistan. All Pakistani players who are in the race for the national team should play 4 day cricket.

Need to do something like PSL plus 2...one guaranteed NOC you can use whenever and another only if there is no domestic or international series going on. Tired of seeing Pakistan players play every stupid franchise league and unable to bowl more than 4 overs

Talk about slave mentality. The PCB issued NOC's for Haris Rauf, Zaman Khan, Usama Mir under pressure from Cricket Australia. In return not a single high quality Australian Cricketer has signed up for PSL yet. Is the PCB and the Pakistani authorities ever going to try and take a stand for the country?

As per media reports, the PCB has approved NOCs for the upcoming leagues for four cricketers: Shaheen Shah Afridi, Babar Azam, Mohammad Rizwan, and Wasim Jr.

T20I captain Shaheen Afridi is contracted with Desert Vipers in UAE's ILT20, while Babar, Rizwan, and Wasim Jr. have commitments with teams in the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL).

Sources further added that Fakhar Zaman and Azam Khan are still awaiting approval for their league participation, with permissions for national cricketers being evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Pakistan Men cricketers granted NOCs for cricket leagues

The Pakistan Cricket Board has issued no-objection certificates (NOC) to national men’s players to feature in the forthcoming franchise-based leagues, which include International League T20 (ILT20) and Bangladesh Premier League (BPL).

The Board has issued the NOCs in line with the provisions of the players' central contracts.

The decision was made in the best interests of all the stakeholders involved while balancing the importance of game time with workload management.

The decision was made in the best interests of all the stakeholders involved while balancing the importance of game time with workload management.

How does this help Pakistan if the T20I skipper, who's struggling to bowl 140 kph, plays in this meaningless franchise tournament? He'll bowl his heart out like Naseem did in LPL last year, then break down shortly after before a major ICC tournament.

I guess Pakistan cricket is not considered a stakeholder. :(

Will we ever learn from our mistakes?

The management in PCB is the most incompetent I have ever seen. He is already struggling with pace, and his ability to handle swing is not the same as it was. Despite being rested for the 3rd Test against Australia, he is now being given a NOC for franchise cricket. Unbelievable.

The management in PCB is the most incompetent I have ever seen. He is already struggling with pace, and his ability to handle swing is not the same as it was. Despite being rested for the 3rd Test against Australia, he is now being given a NOC for franchise cricket. Unbelievable.
That is the responsibility of Shaheen too to avoid playing leagues when he knows he is not 100% fit and the World Cup is just around the corner.

Unfortunately our boys prefer quick short money over their long lasting careers.

The top cricketers are contemplating terminating their central contracts with the Pakistan Cricket Board after some were refused NOCs to go and play in foreign T20 leagues.

According to sources in the team management, most of the centrally contracted players are upset with the board for not allowing them to play in foreign leagues despite being free from national commitments.

"The matter has come to a head because recently the board refused NOCs to some players including Zaman Khan, Fakhar Zaman, and Muhammad Haris (all centrally contracted) to play in the Bangladesh Premier League on the grounds that they had already played two leagues besides the Pakistan Super League," a source said.

He said that under the current PCB policy finalised during the tenure of Zaka Ashraf, centrally contracted players would be allowed to play in two foreign T20 leagues besides the PSL.

"But for the players who are not centrally contracted, there is no such binding unless they are required on national duty."

But most of the contracted players believe the board is following a dual policy based on whims and fancies when it comes to issuing NOCs.

"The players feel that when there is no Pakistan assignment before the PSL why should the board stop them from playing in other leagues where they have good contracts," another source said.

"The players' grouse is that the PCB does not even pay them anything to cover the losses of contracts not accepted because of PCB policies."

With the mushrooming of lucrative T20 leagues around the cricket world at present three leagues are being simultaneously held including the BPL, the International Emirates League in UAE and the South Africa 20 league, meaning, potentially more earning opportunities for players.

A board official confided that the players need to understand that they are being compensated if they follow the cap on leagues as they are paid a hefty monthly salary by the board under their central contracts regardless of whether they are playing or not.

"The top category players are getting paid around 6 million rupees salary, those in category B get around 4.8 million so why are they complaining," the source questioned.

However, an agent for one of the players said that the board deducted heavy taxes from those salaries and top players were getting offers of earning between USD 100,000 to USD 300,000 for playing five to six matches or more in a league.

"Do you know the contract value of Babar Azam and Shaheen Afridi for the BPL and ILT? Suffice to say one of them has a contract for USD 300,000 which is around 75 to 80 million rupees."

He also noted that the leagues were a major revenue source for players who didn’t have contracts with the PCB. He said that some players had even discussed terminating their contracts with the board and becoming free agents.

"I think when the new Chairman takes over there will be proper discussions between the players and board to resolve this NOCs issue."

Source : Outlook India

Not sure what the players are complaining about. Part of the central contract deal was that you get to play only 3 leagues (including PSL) apart from international commitments.

Did they not know this before signing these contracts?

Why complain now?

During today's press conference Shah Khawar, Chairman of the PCB, addressed regarding NOCs for players:

“On the issue of granting NOCs to players to participate in franchise leagues, the PCB has the policy of giving centrally contracted players permission to attain NOC for a maximum of two leagues apart from HBL PSL over the course of a year. Their first priority has to be to play for Pakistan and all centrally contracted players must adhere to this.”

Then they would play more of these leagues.
Anyways, I think you are right, the money should be taxed.

Let them play as many leagues as they want. They are professionals and must think themselves about their career and legacy.

If a player thinks he is only good at playing leagues then let him play. Forcing someone will not him happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
PCB, players on confrontation path over NOC for foreign leagues issue

A severe discord is brewing between the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and the players who are unhappy at not having their NOCS extended for league appearances through this month.

A well-informed source in the PCB said on Sunday that some players were upset over the inconsistent policies of the board while granting NOCS to players to play in foreign leagues.

The players who are presently engaged in the ILT20 and the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL 2024) had requested the PCB to extend their NOCs so that they could complete their assignments before returning home for the Pakistan Super League (PSL) which begins on February 17.

But the PCB made it clear to the players that their NOCs would not be extended and they had to return as per the original schedule.

"The problem is that there are different conditions and return dates given to the players which has caused the problems.

While the majority of players have to return by February 7, there are some players who can return on 11th and some even on 16th and this is causing frustration among the players," the source said.

Mohammad Nawaz, Haris Rauf, Usama Mir, Shadab Khan Aamer Jamal Azam Khan, Imad Wasim, Muhammad Amir, Muhammad Hasnain, Ahmed Shehzad and Shoaib Malik are some of the Pakistani players busy in the two leagues.

Some of those players had asked the PCB for extension in their respective leagues as the PSL would not begin before February 17, but the home board was not relenting and asked them to return for pre-PSL activities with their respective teams.

The PCB has instructed both its centrally contracted players and those without contracts to return home.

TOI

The Australian Under-19 Cricket League in Sydney has not been recognized by the International Cricket Council (ICC).

The Pakistan Cricket Board also did not approve this league.

Domestic or U-19 players who are registered in a team in this tournament will not be issued NOC by PCB.

PCB should increase salaries of Pakistani players just like BCCI where indian players feel no need to play other T20 leagues or PCB should bring flexibility in the rules for issuing NOC's to Pakistani players for T20 leagues.

As per media reports, PCB has granted No Objection Certificates (NOCs) to four cricketers to participate in the ongoing English county cricket championship.

Sources reveal that Pakistan's Test captain Shan Masood, Hasan Ali, Mir Hamza, and Mohammad Abbas have been given the green light to play for Yorkshire, Warwickshire, Glamorgan, and Hampshire, respectively.

These players are participating in foreign leagues due to their exclusion from Pakistan's 17-member squad for the upcoming five-match home T20I series against New Zealand.

PCB should increase salaries of Pakistani players just like BCCI where indian players feel no need to play other T20 leagues or PCB should bring flexibility in the rules for issuing NOC's to Pakistani players for T20 leagues.
Indian players are not allowed to play any other leagues apart from IPL as part of their contracts

Is it time for a new manifesto for Pakistan cricket?

6pwidRZ.png

Pakistan Cricket Board to enforce two-NOCs policy strictly after flop show at T20 World Cup 2024​

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) will enforce its two-NOCs policy for T20 leagues strictly following the national team’s embarrassing performance and first-round exit in the T20 World Cup in the United States of America.

Pakistan’s elimination was confirmed on Friday when USA joined arch-rival India as the second team from Group A in the Super Eight round, following a washout at Lauderhill in Florida.

All players, who sign central and domestic contracts in Pakistan cricket, have to adhere to a clause which states that a player can only be issued a NOC for a maximum of two overseas leagues besides playing in the Pakistan Super League in a year.

The board has yet not issued any NOCs to youngsters Azam Khan and Saim Ayub to play in the Caribbean Premier League even though both were retained by their respective teams for this season.

Both Azam and Saim are part of Pakistan’s World Cup squad.

"The other players have also been given a clear message that the two NOC’s rule applies to both centrally and domestic contracted players and the board also reserves the right to turn down any NOC request from any player,” an official source in the board said.

The board also holds the right to refuse any NOC if it feels the player’s workload and fitness is at stake and he is required to play at home.

The source said that recently in the case of Pakistan leg-spinner Usama Mir, who signed a contract for the Vitality Blast and The Hundred in England, was told he has already played his quota of two leagues this year.

“Mir took the argument that since he was free of any international commitments and there was no domestic event he should be allowed to play in England, he was told in clear terms this is not for him but for the board to decide,” the source said.

The board has also recently made it clear to all other cricket boards and their franchises organising their T20 leagues that until a player(s) is able to produce a PCB-issued NOC, they would be signing him at their own risk.

Does any want to play Test cricket. Is there any strategy to develop the fundamental form of the sport. You cannot be successful in any format unless the basics are emphasized.

Not giving NOCs for leagues isn't going to make players world beaters.
Workload management, better selectors (free of political appointments), more international cricket (against better sides), making domestic cricket bankable and more revenue generating should be the starting point.
Non contracted and non committed players should be allowed to play as many leagues as they want.
But the likes of Shaheen, Naseem etc should be encouraged to focus on longer formats more especially if it's coinciding with league commitments.

Not giving NOCs for leagues isn't going to make players world beaters.
Workload management, better selectors (free of political appointments), more international cricket (against better sides), making domestic cricket bankable and more revenue generating should be the starting point.
Non contracted and non committed players should be allowed to play as many leagues as they want.
But the likes of Shaheen, Naseem etc should be encouraged to focus on longer formats more especially if it's coinciding with league commitments.

I agree, they should focus on increasing their pool of players instead of cracking the whip on league bullies who are just trying to make the most of it.

I agree, they should focus on increasing their pool of players instead of cracking the whip on league bullies who are just trying to make the most of it.
I don't get what is restricting the likes of Azam Khan, Amir, Imad, Asif Ali etc going to get. It won't transform them into world beaters. They're already only active in 1 format only.

Need to somehow incentivize all cricketers to consistently play 4 day cricket

Back