Aamer Jamal awarded ‘Player of the Match’ in the final Test against Australia, despite being on the losing side

Major

T20I Star
Runs
Post of the Week

Aamer Jamal deserves a thread of its own because it is very rare for players to win a MOTM in a losing cause and I think after many years, a Pakistan player win such an award in an Australian Test series.

Often the man of the match is given to the player of the winning side, and very rarely have we seen players from the losing side win the man of the match since 2010. You have to produce a very good performance to get an MOTM in a losing cause.

Today Aamir Jamal was awarded the MOTM for his 82 runs in the first innings followed by his 6-69.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic to see and well earned by the lad. Truly an epic performance by him throughout the series and this match in particular. He single handedly gave Pakistan a legitimate chance to potentially win the match. Pakistan collapsed in the 2nd innings but when does it ever happen Pakistan go into the 3rd innings of the Test match with a lead in Australia?

A shame Pakistan just completely collapsed towards the end of last session on day 3. Could have been quite a game if they hadn't.

His performance was like that of Sachin in the 90s.

Iconic performances that would be match winning if not for the minnow level players that they were surrounded by who would be ready to drop the ball (literally, in Amir’a case) at a moments notice.

Yes he outdid every other player. Showed the grit and toughness to perform. Other players looked scared for their places.

May be recency bias but this may be the single greatest performance by any Pak player over a series in test cricket.

To think he has achieved this so early in his career, hats off. 18 wickets at 20, 2 5fers, then the 3rd highest run getter for his side against an elite bowling attack. All this when he hardly had any support, he alone kept Pak in the game and twice the team had the chance to push for victory, MCG and SCG. As I said in another thread, peak Imran Khan would be proud of this kind of performance.

Never knew about him before this tour, now I will always keep an eye on him. Potential great of the game.

May be recency bias but this may be the single greatest performance by any Pak player over a series in test cricket.

To think he has achieved this so early in his career, hats off. 18 wickets at 20, 2 5fers, then the 3rd highest run getter for his side against an elite bowling attack. All this when he hardly had any support, he alone kept Pak in the game and twice the team had the chance to push for victory, MCG and SCG. As I said in another thread, peak Imran Khan would be proud of this kind of performance.

Never knew about him before this tour, now I will always keep an eye on him. Potential great of the game.

We all knew about him including Babar Azam, who chose not to take him to the WC especially when we lacked bowlers who could bowl 140.🤦🏻‍♂️

Pakistan need to build on this. It’s their golden opportunity. England in the 2000s built their team around Andrew Flintoff, he was the one that balanced their side. He was the extra batsman and the 3rd/4th vital seamer. Plus he lifted his side’s moral with courage and aggression.

This is your golden opportunity Pakistan cricket, do not let it go to waste!

@Major did the Australian broadcasters award him because they saw that he has great Hoo Haa like you said about my liking of players?

You have historically been the biggest backer of Faheem Ashraf, dude..
Historically? Is it recorded in Encyclopaedia Britanica?

And what’s wrong with backing Faheem Ashraf ? He was a very good left handed batsman and a decent bowler. What’s wrong in backing decent cricketers?

I think it was righly desvered and good to see a player from the not winning team get this award

Historically? Is it recorded in Encyclopaedia Britanica?

And what’s wrong with backing Faheem Ashraf? He was a very good left handed batsman and a decent bowler. What’s wrong in backing decent cricketers?
Faheem Ashraf is not a decent cricketer. He is a below average cricketer at best. But I care about the fact how pathetic and mediocre he is and how he ate the career of Aamir Yamin, Ammad Butt and even Aamir Jamal to a certain degree. You backing players like Sharjeel, Faheem is a testament to you backing mediocrity and a poor eye for talent.

If Rizwan becomes captain he will promote Khushdil Shah or Iftikhar Ahmed to become Pakistan’s number 1 all rounder
this is why Rizwan should be nowhere near the captaincy role

Back