Aamir Khan refuses to release Dangal in Pakistan without National Anthem

czar

Tape Ball Star
Runs
_551965f2-1ac2-11e7-8dd7-d947b0232760.jpg

Last year, theatre owners and exhibitors in Pakistan temporarily stopped screening Indian films after Pakistani artistes and technicians were banned by the Indian Motion Pictures Producers’ Association (IMPPA) from in India. The controversial move was taken in the wake of political tension between India and Pakistan, post the Uri (Jammu and Kashmir) attacks in September.

However, earlier this year, Pakistan lifted the ban on Indian films and began screening them in the country. And a few days ago, local distributors from the neighbouring nation apparently requested for Dangal (2016) to be released there. Aamir Khan and the film’s team were “absolutely okay” with that, especially since Pakistani audiences have always loved Hindi films and Indian actors.

However, Hindustan Times has learnt that the release of the film couldn’t go through when a “surprising” demand came in from the other side of the border. A source says, “When the film went to the Pakistan censor board, they were fine with it except for two particular scenes towards the end — one in which the Indian flag is shown and another in which the Indian national anthem is played after Geeta Phogat (played by Fatima Sana Shaikh) wins the gold medal. The Pakistan censors wanted the scenes to be edited out before they gave Dangal the green signal,” says an insider.

But Aamir — who is also the producer of the film — felt that the “demand for the two cuts was surprising, because the film isn’t jingoistic in nature”. The source says, “It’s a sports-based biopic with no direct or indirect reference to Pakistan. The film only highlights India’s nationalistic sentiment, so what is the reason to chop off those scenes?”

Aamir then decided that the film would not be released in Pakistan. Dangal is the Hindi movie industry’s biggest blockbuster with over Rs 385 crore at the Indian box office. “It will result in an economic loss to the tune of Rs 10-12 crore, as Pakistan is an important international territory vis-à-vis money, but he isn’t willing to edit the scenes in question. He is aware that not releasing the film could lead to piracy, but he is sure about what he won’t do,” adds the source.

http://m.hindustantimes.com/bollywo...onal-anthem/story-KtqPyvubgNfeyJSnqSoJwO.html

More likely scared of the backlash from Indians were he to comply with the wishes of the Pakistani censors by editing those two scenes.

Unlikelly.
An Indian movie based on a true story of an Indian Wrestler and his daughter who represented India and won medals for them has Indian National Anthem in the movie. You expect India or any country to remove their national anthem to please the Pakistani crowd because they can't tolerate watching Indian flag in a movie or Indian Anthem which they hear in cricket matches anyways or the fact that India won medals at commonwealth ?
If you've got such weak hearts , don't watch bollywood movies

Unlikelly.
An Indian movie based on a true story of an Indian Wrestler and his daughter who represented India and won medals for them has Indian National Anthem in the movie. You expect India or any country to remove their national anthem to please the Pakistani crowd because they can't tolerate watching Indian flag in a movie or Indian Anthem which they hear in cricket matches anyways or the fact that India won medals at commonwealth ?

Why would Pakistanis want to watch a movie about an Indian wrestler competing in the Olympics anyway? Seems like Amir was hoping to play on Pakistani big hearts to overlook the Indian jingoism, and he might have good reason to do so. Pakistanis are very generous even to the nation that despises them.

Can you imagine Indian censors giving the time of day to a film about a Pakistani sports hero? It wouldn't even reach the censors, never mind be considered for release with a couple of minor cuts.

I know pak authorities have always been wary of the soft power exerted by India through bollywood but this going over the top. It's just a song jeez.

Unlikelly.
I don't. Can't even recall the last time I watched an Indian movie. Mind you, I don't watch Pakistani movies either.

Anyway, my comment about the backlash is most certainly far closer to the truth than you're trying to make out. When the powerful in India won't even allow the film makers to use Pakistani actors any more, and insist not only on the Indian national anthem to be played in the cinema before the start of every film, but also insist that everyone should stand up, then it would be committing suicide if a film maker were to remove the Indian flag or the Indian anthem from a movie scene at the instance of Pakistani authorities.

I know you come on this forum to defend Indian interests, but even you're not so blind that you can't see the obvious.

I don't blame him. He has to do this because many extremists in India feel empowered ever since BJP came to power.

I don't. Can't even recall the last time I watched an Indian movie. Mind you, I don't watch Pakistani movies either.

Anyway, my comment about the backlash is most certainly far closer to the truth than you're trying to make out. When the powerful in India won't even allow the film makers to use Pakistani actors any more, and insist not only on the Indian national anthem to be played in the cinema before the start of every film, but also insist that everyone should stand up, then it would be committing suicide if a film maker were to remove the Indian flag or the Indian anthem from a movie scene at the instance of Pakistani authorities.

I know you come on this forum to defend Indian interests, but even you're not so blind that you can't see the obvious.

What's obvious is

1) This is a bollywood movie meant for Indian audience firstly.
2) It is a sports movie based on nationalism and Indian Sports figure and country's pride - anthem / flags are integral parts of the movie.
3) If foreign audience wants to watch a movie - American watching bollywood movie , Indians watching american movies / Korean movies etc., watch it with respect .
4) Why to please a foreign crowd would any movie be altered ?
5) Most of the film fraternity is opposed to allowing Pakistani actors , they are not being forced upon. Indian actor's and film industry keeps its financial and nationalistic interests first.

I never used to stand up for the anthem, in fact would sit cross legged while people around me looked with disdain. But last month I had to stand up twice for the anthem. There are too many patriots and I don't want any trouble. My facebook timeline is flooded with images of people clad in saffron, holding swords and chanting Jai Shri Raam as a militant war cry.

The liberal section needs to rethink, especially Liberal Muslims. Any voice of dissent against Modi, BJP or its sister organizations is turned into an attack on Hindus. The more we criticise them, the stronger they become. We need to relax and retrospect and take the gas out of their communal politics. I have ideas, but who will listen.

I don't blame him. He has to do this because many extremists in India feel empowered ever since BJP came to power.

He's an Indian firstly. You think pleasing Pakistan is something worthy ?

Ever since the rise of Hindutva Brigade in India, the "KHANS" of Bollywood are under tremendous pressure to prove their loyalty otherwise their films will take the beating.

Ever since the rise of Hindutva Brigade in India, the "KHANS" of Bollywood are under tremendous pressure to prove their loyalty otherwise their films well take the beating.

So you are implying the KHANS aren't loyal to India ?
Unlike Pakistan, Indians are Indians first , Hindus and Muslims afterwards :fizz

He probably did it because he knows the consequences if he'd cut those scenes in post-Modi India but he is still the only actor with some principles in Bollywood.

Ever since the rise of Hindutva Brigade in India, the "KHANS" of Bollywood are under tremendous pressure to prove their loyalty otherwise their films will take the beating.

This is so true. Aamir made some comments about rising intolerance in India in Nov 2015 and he was almost hounded out of the country. IIRC he even suggested he might have to move his family out of India. For that he got an even bigger bashing from Shiv Sena group and their fathers in the ruling BJP govt.

May Allah have mercy on his soul, he is a brave heart and Pakistanis should always be mindful of his delicate situation in Hindustan.

He's an Indian firstly.

I know he is an Indian. My point is that I imagine an average Indian to be less sensitive than the nationalist brigade. In normal situation I don't expect them to say hurr durr we won't release the movie unless you play the song. But if you thing sensitivity is a requirement for being patriotic Indian then I might be wrong.

What's obvious is

1) This is a bollywood movie meant for Indian audience firstly.
2) It is a sports movie based on nationalism and Indian Sports figure and country's pride - anthem / flags are integral parts of the movie.
3) If foreign audience wants to watch a movie - American watching bollywood movie , Indians watching american movies / Korean movies etc., watch it with respect .
4) Why to please a foreign crowd would any movie be altered ?
5) Most of the film fraternity is opposed to allowing Pakistani actors , they are not being forced upon. Indian actor's and film industry keeps its financial and nationalistic interests first.
None of that negates the point I made. Unless you think that the Pakistani authorities were demanding the editing of those two scenes for audiences everywhere, including in India, as opposed to just for the cinema audiences in Pakistan? FYI it is not unknown for national film censors to demand editing of certain scenes for the version of the film to be shown in their country.

I know he is an Indian. My point is that I imagine an average Indian to be less sensitive than the nationalist brigade. In normal situation I don't expect them to say hurr durr we won't release the movie unless you play the song. But if you thing sensitivity is a requirement for being patriotic Indian then I might be wrong.

Problem is whether its Amir , Akshay Kumar / Devgan any actor / director - why would they alter their piece of work to please other audience ? Why would any country do that ?
If America wants to watch slumdogs millionaire , they request to remove all the poverty scenes - does not make sense.
A movie based on American patriotism, heroism would be seen all over the world because of what it is - not to cut american flags and anthem from the movie.

None of that negates the point I made. Unless you think that the Pakistani authorities were demanding the editing of those two scenes for audiences everywhere, including in India, as opposed to just for the cinema audiences in Pakistan? FYI it is not unknown for national film censors to demand editing of certain scenes for the version of the film to be shown in their country.

But why would the Pakistani authorities would want to demand the editing of those scenes ? It is a bollywood movie , the audience in Pakistan knows that.
Audience knows it's a sports movie based on true events.
Scenes which may be crude, violent and disturbing could be censored or cut.
Indian flags / anthems in an Indian movie should not be disturbing to anyone in the world - why is Pakistan being so insecure ?

Problem is whether its Amir , Akshay Kumar / Devgan any actor / director - why would they alter their piece of work to please other audience ? Why would any country do that ?
You must be living in cuckoo land if you believe that national censors (whether they be Indian, Pakistani, British, American et al) don't occasionally demand certain scenes to be cut or edited before they can be passed for viewing in their country. That is the whole point of having national censors!. I'm betting that, from time to time, Indian censors also demand changes to scenes of foreign films before they can be passed for viewing in India. Now of course it's up to the film makers if they want to make the requested changes and have the films passed by the national censors, or refuse and have their films banned.

Do try and refrain from making illogical points, otherwise you're in danger of looking silly.

If America wants to watch slumdogs millionaire , they request to remove all the poverty scenes - does not make sense.
A movie based on American patriotism, heroism would be seen all over the world because of what it is - not to cut american flags and anthem from the movie.

Audience didn't demand to remove the song, Pakistan cencor board did. Countries do that all over the world for various reasons. I am sure you can google them. In this case Amir Khan might want to do it so his movie could be released on the other side of border. But he can't because nationalism in India is on rise.

You must be living in cuckoo land if you believe that national censors (whether they be Indian, Pakistani, British, American et al) don't occasionally demand certain scenes to be cut or edited before they can be passed for viewing in their country. That is the whole point of having national censors!. I'm betting that, from time to time, Indian censors also demand changes to scenes of foreign films before they can be passed for viewing in India. Now of course it's up to the film makers if they want to make the requested changes and have the films passed by the national censors, or refuse and have their films banned.

Do try and refrain from making illogical points, otherwise you're in danger of looking silly.

National board censors exist to identify possible infringements and what may and maynot be suitable for their audiences. The existence of a Censor Board isn't being questioned here !
Why an Indian Flag or an Indian anthem is *****ing the Censor Board in Pakistan is the question ?
Don't worry about me bud , If you can't coherently explain me why Pakistan is being insecure to Indian Flag and Indian Anthem in an Indian movie , stop with beating around the bush

I never realised that Aamir Khan had a RS 100,0000 bounty set on him by Shiv Sena Punjab chairman Rajeev Tandon.

“Any person who slaps Aamir Khan would be rewarded Rs1 lakh (INR 100,000) by our organisation. This is important because no one living in our country should dare to say anything against India.”

Guys, we should be mindful of the pressure these celebrities are under. A patriotic Mahan Bharat film is probably obligatory for minority actors every couple of years.

As you Indians say "our country our rules"

We can use the same logic.

:salute

I never realised that Aamir Khan had a RS 100,0000 bounty set on him by Shiv Sena Punjab chairman Rajeev Tandon.

Guys, we should be mindful of the pressure these celebrities are under. A patriotic Mahan Bharat film is probably obligatory for minority actors every couple of years.

You are just clawing onto straws because either you'll turn the question into
Option A - how under pressure an Indian film star is
Option B - or face the embarrassment of the insecurity of the Pakistan censor board.

If I was to take a guess, I'll say you will go with option A

As you Indians say "our country our rules"

We can use the same logic.

:salute

Ofcourse you can, If Pakistan is uncomfortable or feels insecure with the Indian flag and Anthem in a movie , no one should force them to watch it. I completely agree !:najam

But why would the Pakistani authorities would want to demand the editing of those scenes ? It is a bollywood movie , the audience in Pakistan knows that.
Audience knows it's a sports movie based on true events.
Scenes which may be crude, violent and disturbing could be censored or cut.
Indian flags / anthems in an Indian movie should not be disturbing to anyone in the world - why is Pakistan being so insecure ?
Censors demand changes for numerous different reasons. These may be based upon aspects of national laws (such as on obscenity or violence), to prevent violence (eg demonstrations against cinemas showing the film)
Armed guards have been deployed outside cinemas in the east of India after protests against the title of the Oscar-nominated British film Slumdog Millionaire threatened to turn violent.

The protesters, who have threatened to burn effigies of the film's British director, Danny Boyle, and others associated with the film, claim the use of the word "dog" is humiliating to slum dwellers.

In Patna, the capital of the eastern state of Bihar, posters for the movie have been torn down while hundreds of people demonstrated outside cinemas showing the film, which opened in India last Friday.

Police have been ordered to guard cinemas in the city after protesters said they would continue to demonstrate until the title is change.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/jan/27/riots-india-slumdog-millionaire
or because the censors even take it upon themselves to be the guardian of society. That's why film producers even sometimes go to the extent of not just making minor changes, but changing whole sections of story lines and producing different versions of the film for different countries.

Ofcourse you can, If Pakistan is uncomfortable or feels insecure with the Indian flag and Anthem in a movie , no one should force them to watch it. I completely agree !:najam

Why should we listen to enemy nation's anthem and glorify their flag?

Censors demand changes for numerous different reasons. These may be based upon aspects of national laws (such as on obscenity or violence), to prevent violence (eg demonstrations against cinemas showing the film)
or because the censors even take it upon themselves to be the guardian of society. That's why film producers even sometimes go to the extent of not just making minor changes, but changing whole sections of story lines and producing different versions of the film for different countries.

So is the fear here that Cinema's would burn because of Indian Flag in an Indian movie ?
Indian flag would be disrespectful to the masses in Pakistan ?
A film producer would change things - storyline , actors / language , scenes in his movie in accordance to the sentiments and emotions of his own country or possibly the country the film is being shot in or is about.
Dangal has nothing to do with Pakistan in any remote sense.
Just the mere sense of nationalistic pride in the movie is causing panic in the censor board ? I am not sure if this censor board even speaks for the many pakistani people who would have no issues watching an Indian flag or anthem in a movie.

National board censors exist to identify possible infringements and what may and maynot be suitable for their audiences. The existence of a Censor Board isn't being questioned here !
Why an Indian Flag or an Indian anthem is *****ing the Censor Board in Pakistan is the question ?
Don't worry about me bud , If you can't coherently explain me why Pakistan is being insecure to Indian Flag and Indian Anthem in an Indian movie , stop with beating around the bush
Probably similar reasons to why pressure has been put on Indian movie producers to not use Pakistani actors in their films.
Going by your reasoning, are the Indians being insecure in case the Indian movie fans start preferring Pakistani actors to such an extent that no Indian films will contain Indian actors any more. Of course not.

An absurd demand which is bound to be counterproductive. Imagine 100 Pakistanis hurling their Punjabi vocabulary at our national anthem and flag. Wouldn't want that.

Probably similar reasons to why pressure has been put on Indian movie producers to not use Pakistani actors in their films.
Going by your reasoning, are the Indians being insecure in case the Indian movie fans start preferring Pakistani actors to such an extent that no Indian films will contain Indian actors any more. Of course not.

Quite possible I don't know. Maybe some sections of Indian Film security may fear of losing out.
Indian reasons to ban Pakistani actors is purely patriotic . If Pakistani industry does not want Indian actors as well it's understanable.
But watching a movie from another country to remove it's own flag and anthem is absurd. If this movie was full of violence and strong language - cutting those scenes would be understandable.

Idiotic and stupid request from the censor board. What's the problem with the Indian flag and national anthem playing in the movie? What kind of people are in these boards that make these petty, narrow minded decisions?

Idiotic and stupid request from the censor board. What's the problem with the Indian flag and national anthem playing in the movie? What kind of people are in these boards that make these petty, narrow minded decisions?

I would assume censor boards take into account the political atmosphere in the country. If India cannot even play cricket with Pakistan, why allow a nationalistic scene with the national anthem? Removing these scenes will hardly ruin the movie.

Good. Don't know why our population kneels to mediocrity like Bollywood. One reason why Pakistani society has seen such low progression is the influence of divisive Hindi dramas and dull Hindi movies.

I would assume censor boards take into account the political atmosphere in the country. If India cannot even play cricket with Pakistan, why allow a nationalistic scene with the national anthem? Removing these scenes will hardly ruin the movie.

The pettiness will never end this way. Their government not playing cricket with us is also petty. Someone has to break this cycle of stupidity. Their nationalism and anthem doesn't offend me as a Pakistani, and I don't see how it should affect anyone else either. It would be another thing if the scene included a negative portrayal of Pakistan (I personally still wouldn't care, but could at least see the other side in that case).

Why would Pakistanis want to watch a movie about an Indian wrestler competing in the Olympics anyway? Seems like Amir was hoping to play on Pakistani big hearts to overlook the Indian jingoism, and he might have good reason to do so. Pakistanis are very generous even to the nation that despises them.

Can you imagine Indian censors giving the time of day to a film about a Pakistani sports hero? It wouldn't even reach the censors, never mind be considered for release with a couple of minor cuts.

They because they want to be entertained?

I am not interested in movies on Indian wrestlers or boxers. Why should Pak glorify Indian sports people by showing their movies in our country?? Instead we should produce our own movies on the likes of Jahangir Khan, Amir Khan the boxer and Gama Pehelwan who achieved more then any Indian sports person can dream off in a individual Sport.

Pakistan is fully within their rights to demand the cuts. Why would Pak audience watch an Indian wrestling,cricket or hockey movie with national anthem in the end.

Aamir is also completely right in not letting the cuts.

The debate here is PPers thinks Aamir is doing it because of rising nationalism in India is not correct because the movie is a true story, they won CWG Gold and hence the national anthem is played.

Iam also not sure how can pakistan watch such movies for entertainment as someone pointed out before that there is no way they can connect to the movie emotionally. Chakde, swades, Dangal etc...all falls into same category

TBF ,from the movie's POV that is a very important scene and its shown in a very subtle way,guessing its the climax with only music of the national anthem.

So you are implying the KHANS aren't loyal to India ?
Unlike Pakistan, Indians are Indians first , Hindus and Muslims afterwards :fizz

yes thats why Khans always come under so much pressure

Shahrukh khan famously talked about the difficulties of being a muslim in inida

And was it a coincidence that he spoke when his movie was about to be released? Personally I dont have time for anything Shahrukh has to say. Have you heard Salman Khan's patriotism being questioned? Aamir Khan was criticized heavily after his intolerance comments but so was every Hindu who questioned BJP. Muslims face many problems in India but Shahrukh wouldn't know a thing about it.

Reading above comments, one would have thought some of these esteemed middle aged 'British' posters knew Amir Khan in personal life,the way they are passing on judgements. lmao

Oh yes it will.Have you seen the movie? Those scenes are some of the most emotional ones and removing them would just ruin the movie for everyone.

An absurd demand which is bound to be counterproductive. Imagine 100 Pakistanis hurling their Punjabi vocabulary at our national anthem and flag. Wouldn't want that.

Never knew Pakistanis were so insecure.With big hearts and all that I thought they were above all such petty things and it's only Indians who moan about such trivial issues.Disappointed really.

Last edited by a moderator:

You must be quite delusional if you think that's the case. Or maybe Indian Muslims nationalism and patriotic love for their country is hard for you to digest ?

Can't tolerate the Indian National Anthem, but will still watch Indian movies & shows like it's your birthright. How ironic.

It doesn't matter, Pakistan will still manage to watch the movie on pirated DVDs and when it airs on an Indian TV channel. No one can keep Pakistanis away from Bollywood and Indian Television :yk

Any indian content should be banned in Pakistan. It is a disgrace that we try to increase connection with this nation.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 73496

Last year, theatre owners and exhibitors in Pakistan temporarily stopped screening Indian films after Pakistani artistes and technicians were banned by the Indian Motion Pictures Producers’ Association (IMPPA) from in India. The controversial move was taken in the wake of political tension between India and Pakistan, post the Uri (Jammu and Kashmir) attacks in September.

However, earlier this year, Pakistan lifted the ban on Indian films and began screening them in the country. And a few days ago, local distributors from the neighbouring nation apparently requested for Dangal (2016) to be released there. Aamir Khan and the film’s team were “absolutely okay” with that, especially since Pakistani audiences have always loved Hindi films and Indian actors.

However, Hindustan Times has learnt that the release of the film couldn’t go through when a “surprising” demand came in from the other side of the border. A source says, “When the film went to the Pakistan censor board, they were fine with it except for two particular scenes towards the end — one in which the Indian flag is shown and another in which the Indian national anthem is played after Geeta Phogat (played by Fatima Sana Shaikh) wins the gold medal. The Pakistan censors wanted the scenes to be edited out before they gave Dangal the green signal,” says an insider.

But Aamir — who is also the producer of the film — felt that the “demand for the two cuts was surprising, because the film isn’t jingoistic in nature”. The source says, “It’s a sports-based biopic with no direct or indirect reference to Pakistan. The film only highlights India’s nationalistic sentiment, so what is the reason to chop off those scenes?”

Aamir then decided that the film would not be released in Pakistan. Dangal is the Hindi movie industry’s biggest blockbuster with over Rs 385 crore at the Indian box office. “It will result in an economic loss to the tune of Rs 10-12 crore, as Pakistan is an important international territory vis-à-vis money, but he isn’t willing to edit the scenes in question. He is aware that not releasing the film could lead to piracy, but he is sure about what he won’t do,” adds the source.

http://m.hindustantimes.com/bollywo...onal-anthem/story-KtqPyvubgNfeyJSnqSoJwO.html

both are right.

Amir Khan is right that the movie is sports related and playing the Indian national anthem makes sense. Also considering that he is muslim and Indian muslims in general are greatly suffering by hindu extremism in India currently, it makes sense that he does not become another muslim target of hindu extremists.

It makes sense for Pakistan too considering how India is committing heinous crimes against Kashmiri people and still occupying their lands and also how Indian muslims are suffering.

Amir Khan fears for safety of his family in India, thus very cautious at all times.

We should not judge him.

Pakistanis desperately trying to hide the rebuff that Aamir Khan gave them by trying to maki it look as if he is doing this because of threats.

Aamir Khan doesnot need sympathy and concerns from Pakistanis.

Amir Khan fears for safety of his family in India, thus very cautious at all times.

We should not judge him.

And yet him and his family choose to live in India despite having $200 million net worth. Its not like they are short of choices, or are they?

And yet him and his family choose to live in India despite having $200 million net worth. Its not like they are short of choices, or are they?

200mn?Likely to be more.Considering SRK is worth $650mn plus.

so let me get this straight.

An artist creates a piece of art which has some comments that may not be liked by some of the audience (in this case Pakistanis). But, the artist believing in his art, refuses to have those parts censored because it would devalue his work.

Now, I have seen this happen a thousand times. Both parties, the audience have the right to want a particular part censored, and the artist has the right to refuse the part to be censored and deciding not to release his art for the particular audience.

But PPers here claim that the artist in question was scared because of various religious sentiments but forget the following
1. The audience in question are not even the main audience or contribute significantly to the revenue of the aforementioned art
2. The artist actually made a movie, which is not jingoistic, but is certainly nationalistic towards India
3. It is the right of the Pakistani audience to not see the movie
4. It is the right of the artist to not have his art devalued by having it censored

So where does this question of religious fundamentalism come in to being.

And this after the same artist created a movie called PK, which critiqued a lot of things wrong with the hindu society. And that too was done after the election of Modi in 2014.

both are right.

Amir Khan is right that the movie is sports related and playing the Indian national anthem makes sense. Also considering that he is muslim and Indian muslims in general are greatly suffering by hindu extremism in India currently, it makes sense that he does not become another muslim target of hindu extremists.

It makes sense for Pakistan too considering how India is committing heinous crimes against Kashmiri people and still occupying their lands and also how Indian muslims are suffering.

how about the fact that censoring part of his work devalues his art. And he doesn't care that much for Pakistani audience to actually want to censor his work.

Do Pakistani broadcasters censor Indian national anthem before a Cricket match? If not, what is the problem with it in a movie?

Do Pakistani broadcasters censor Indian national anthem before a Cricket match? If not, what is the problem with it in a movie?

Inseceurity that either the Pakistani aawam may run towards the border to cross to the other side.
Second possibility - Seeing India win award at the olympics and commonwealth games may raise some questions on their performance ? possible backlash
Third possibility - India may be shown in a positive light ?

so let me get this straight.

An artist creates a piece of art which has some comments that may not be liked by some of the audience (in this case Pakistanis). But, the artist believing in his art, refuses to have those parts censored because it would devalue his work.

Now, I have seen this happen a thousand times. Both parties, the audience have the right to want a particular part censored, and the artist has the right to refuse the part to be censored and deciding not to release his art for the particular audience.

But PPers here claim that the artist in question was scared because of various religious sentiments but forget the following
1. The audience in question are not even the main audience or contribute significantly to the revenue of the aforementioned art
2. The artist actually made a movie, which is not jingoistic, but is certainly nationalistic towards India
3. It is the right of the Pakistani audience to not see the movie
4. It is the right of the artist to not have his art devalued by having it censored

So where does this question of religious fundamentalism come in to being.

And this after the same artist created a movie called PK, which critiqued a lot of things wrong with the hindu society. And that too was done after the election of Modi in 2014.

Some folks at pp are unable to digest that fact that how can an established actor like Amir have some nationalistic pride and may not bow down to such illogical demands ? Indian muslim's patriotism doesn't go down well here - seen as forced or under threat :jimmy

Some folks at pp are unable to digest that fact that how can an established actor like Amir have some nationalistic pride and may not bow down to such illogical demands ? Indian muslim's patriotism doesn't go down well here - seen as forced or under threat :jimmy

absolutely. For some people here, an Indian Muslim is not an individual with his/her own identity but some sort of a consequence of the partition.

Not saying Indian Muslims don't face the problems all minorities do. They certainly do. But they are also individuals with the same nationalistic pride as any other Indian.

Yes, the patriotism of Indian muslims is considered as unnatural and forced on PP. They also have this feeling of sympathy towards Indian Muslims as they feel they are oppressed etc etc. Brainwashing has resulted in this.

Yes, the patriotism of Indian muslims is considered as unnatural and forced on PP. They also have this feeling of sympathy towards Indian Muslims as they feel they are oppressed etc etc. Brainwashing has resulted in this.

Quite unfortunate to see actuallly. I don't think any Indian would question a Pakistani christian or Hindu's allegiance to Pakistan but I wouldn't be surprised if Pakistani folks themselves question their own minorities allegiance to their own country.

Cesnor board were obvious over zealous with such a demand but understandable given how hostile India has been banning almost everything Pakistani but if Amir is so sensitive given the current circumstances then Im also Ok with him not wanting to release the movie either.

I would prefer if Pakistan just ban all Bollywood content until everything normalises again. If India bans Pakistani cricketers, no cricket relations, movie actors, etc I dont see why Pakistan is welcoming Bollywood movies into cinemas ??

Those that are very desperate can watch it on Pirated streams if they cant live without it.

Quite unfortunate to see actuallly. I don't think any Indian would question a Pakistani christian or Hindu's allegiance to Pakistan but I wouldn't be surprised if Pakistani folks themselves question their own minorities allegiance to their own country.

Maybe because the whole of Indian Kashmir would rather support Pakistan than India.

Maybe because the whole of Indian Kashmir would rather support Pakistan than India.

Quite wrong again but I would love if instead of pure emotion , you can provide some concrete evidence to that claim. some numbers you know
Secondly , Majority of Indian Muslim population live outside J & K. So how does your emotional assumption reg J & K population speak on behalf of rest of India ?

The funniest thing is about the craze among Pak people regarding Bollywood movies.

The funniest thing is about the craze among Pak people regarding Bollywood movies.

Not just bollywood, they are big fans of classless hindi dramas too. I thought they will stop watching it after their government banned indian channels but they are following it through hotstar infact they are second biggest users of it.

just laughable...and Why Pakistan wants to show this in Cinemas ?

Watched the movie and tbh exceeded my expectations

Umm maybe you shouldn't be watching Indian movies in the first place :jimmy? These fake patriotism is what hurting Pakistan the most. Either be open minded about it if are capable enough or stop following it.

The qoum will watch the pirated version with Indian Anthem being played anyway.

Good on Amer for sticking to his guns.. banning a flag or national anthem? Wow just shows how sad the current relations are..

Why would Pakistanis want to watch a movie about an Indian wrestler competing in the Olympics anyway?

I don't know about other countries but here in America..Pakistanis throw their hard earned money at anything Bollywood..movies, concerts, shows...whatever. They do not watch Arab movies or Indonesian, Malay movies but Indian entertainment industry earns billions from Pakistanis overseas. As I am sure many Pakistanis here have already seen this movie w/o the cut.

I don't know about other countries but here in America..Pakistanis throw their hard earned money at anything Bollywood..movies, concerts, shows...whatever. They do not watch Arab movies or Indonesian, Malay movies but Indian entertainment industry earns billions from Pakistanis overseas. As I am sure many Pakistanis here have already seen this movie w/o the cut.

Do you think it matters to Cpt. what American Pakistanis do?

Back