Runs
In this thread post afghan and central asian food

Afghan food

Afghan_food.jpg

Afghan_Palo.jpg

tumblr_ll244raZpu1qaxzdbo1_500.jpg

Tajik_dastarkhan_meal.jpg

6a01157090fab6970b013480b8969d970c-800wi

I went to my best friend's house once (he's afghan) had a CL footie evening and i had the rice shown in the second picture with the sultana's etc, very nice it was too

Afghan food and central asian food

Kabli palau! I used to get it from the Afghan restaurants in Little Kabul aka Peshawar Morr, G-9, Islamabad.

I read in a book once that it is Kabli, not Kabuli palau. Can someone confirm that?

Other favorites, which I've had at Afghan relatives', are Bulani, Jujeh kebab, and Uzbeki bread.

what is the common/daily food of Afghans? is that Naan? what % is non-veg food in their culture?

what is the common/daily food of Afghans? is that Naan? what % is non-veg food in their culture?

I dont think they eat vegetarian lol, very few dishes are vegetarian. Though Afghan person here would probably know better

actually come to think of it, even Pakistan doesn't have to many vegetarian dishes. only us Muhajirs brought Vegetarian and many Mughal dishes to Pakistan. But I dont think non Muhajirs eat to many vegetarian food, only Sindhis might

Last edited:
^^Very few vegetarian dishes, very meaty, although now the pukhtoons on the Pakistani side will eat what everybody else eats, they rarely cook their own food now. Which is kind of sad

I dont think they eat vegetarian lol, very few dishes are vegetarian. Though Afghan person here would probably know better

actually come to think of it, even Pakistan doesn't have to many vegetarian dishes. only us Muhajirs brought Vegetarian and many Mughal dishes to Pakistan. But I dont think non Muhajirs eat to many vegetarian food, only Sindhis might

lol
Non veg daily its something new for me

lol
Non veg daily its something new for me

Thats true. This is one of reasons I like Indian cuisine, with the amount of diversity in non veg/veg and plus so many different regional cuisines

afghan/central asian food is paradise for meat lovers though

Last edited:
^^Very few vegetarian dishes, very meaty, although now the pukhtoons on the Pakistani side will eat what everybody else eats, they rarely cook their own food now. Which is kind of sad

pakistan pakhtoons are probably more desified, I heard Biryani and other Karachi foods are really popular now in Peshawar

I never tried Afghan food but looks good in the picture. Wow, a bottle of whiskey too as a drink. Looks super cool.

Food in Pakistan is over rated.

More spice/oil means more tasty.

Only thing I like about Afghanistan is their amazing food. Thankfully its readily available in Peshawar.

pakistan pakhtoons are probably more desified, I heard Biryani and other Karachi foods are really popular now in Peshawar

Yes.

Peshawar Pakhtoons like to be united with the rest of the country.

Food is a reflection of the culture and we've adopted food from Punjab while they have also adopted food from KPK.

Food from my village is very similar to this.

It would be non-veg but now a days not everyone can afford that

full time red meat means gout, cholesterol and many diseases. I imagine Afghans will be more into exercises or physical jobs to balance out this food pattern.
what meat is mostly taken? here in Kerala, cow meat is the favourite. mutton is expensive at Indian rupees 500 per Kg.

Last edited:
^ kerala food is amazing, I can't believe I discovered it so late

Isn't eating too much of non-veg bad for health? I heard Afghans eat a lot of red meat.

Is Diabetes and Heart disease a major cocern in Afghanistan?

Afgani food is really good and when you go to afgani or pashtoon resturants they proper fill your plates up unlike normal indian/pakistani cuisine
but the problem is you cant eat it everyday its probably to do with what we are used to eating

Last edited:
Isn't eating too much of non-veg bad for health? I heard Afghans eat a lot of red meat.

They do but with that they have loads of salad too and at rhe end they have green tea which really help with digestions

to be honest Afghan food is much healthier compared to desi counter parts, they dont use too much oil/ghee as we do. So even the vege south asian dishes are not really healthy

Afghans/Pashtuns tend to be more physically powerful compared to most south asians, their high protein diet explains this

to be honest Afghan food is much healthier compared to desi counter parts, they dont use too much oil/ghee as we do. So even the vege south asian dishes are not really healthy

Afghans/Pashtuns tend to be more physically powerful compared to most south asians, their high protein diet explains this

Yes, like the above poster said, if they can also stuff themselves with Green Veggies and Green Tea, it balances out their diet. I am not familiar with Afghan cuisine at all, but it looks delicious in Pics.

Desi food is horrible with everything fried in oil. We do have healthy options, but they are hard to find unless you cook at home.

Yes, like the above poster said, if they can also stuff themselves with Green Veggies and Green Tea, it balances out their diet. I am not familiar with Afghan cuisine at all, but it looks delicious in Pics.

Desi food is horrible with everything fried in oil. We do have healthy options, but they are hard to find unless you cook at home.

are you in India? I heard Delhi is where most of the Afghans live in India and they have many restaurants there

I tend to agree. during childhood days itself, red meat intake and good physical exercises are a must(to gain muscle mass and perhaps height?). sadly, our country is gripped by Hindu value of Vegetarianism and majority(Hindus) are averse to Non-Veg. I believe body building will be hard for vegetarians.

Re: Afghan food and central asian food

Okra

uploadfromtaptalk1395854622566.jpg

Shola ( afghan name)

uploadfromtaptalk1395854675330.jpg

Mantoo ( afghan name)

uploadfromtaptalk1395854821412.jpg

Bolani (afghan name)

uploadfromtaptalk1395854871797.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I have never tried authentic Afgan food, but I am a meat lover, so this looks like heaven. Any Indian posters aware of a good Afgan Restaurant in Delhi or anywhere North India ?

I have never tried authentic Afgan food, but I am a meat lover, so this looks like heaven. Any Indian posters aware of a good Afgan Restaurant in Delhi or anywhere North India ?

In delhi you can have afghan food at lajpat nagar and in chandni chowk , dariba gali

Love Afghan food. Qabuli palow wow what can you say. I have to say the best Qabuli pallow is home cooked the restaurants doesn't do justice to it. I have a quite a few Afghan friends and have enjoyed all kinds of Afghan foods.

This dish is a good veggie choice Aushak

Mantu.JPG

Another very good veggie choice is eggplant. Just delicious cooked this way.

570779325_1382385113.gif

almas.jpg

Last edited:
Also culliflower is quite good. There are lots of other dishes which are escaping my mind but from my experience Afghan food is a lot more than just red meat and rice but I have to add the difference between when I ate at friends house and a restaurant is night and day home cooked was just out of this world. Man this thread is making me call my friend and invite myself to his house :))

528_l

In delhi you can have afghan food at lajpat nagar and in chandni chowk , dariba gali

Thanks, I'll check these places out for sure. Btw, judging by your username, I didn't expect this local Delhi knowledge. Have you spent some time here ?

Thanks, I'll check these places out for sure. Btw, judging by your username, I didn't expect this local Delhi knowledge. Have you spent some time here ?

Welcome bro, i was in delhi for 3 months in 2009. I went almost all over delhi.

Back