Any other famous 'Coach-Player' relation after Sachin-Achrekar?

Bhaijaan

Hall of Famer
Runs
Post of the Week
or may be its just that Sachin has been more grateful to his humble coach than other players have been to their?

Always found this relation of his with the coach as very sweet. Tendulkar said in his sppech today how Achrekar would take him on his scooter to various grounds in Mumbai for playing cricket matches, i mean that is just amazing. He's told other great stories as well liek the 'coin story' which Adidas even used for its commercials. Great relation and ihope upcoming cricketers learn a big lesson from this and start valuing their teachers/coaches as much as Tendulkar did.

110121.2.jpg

Ramakant-Sachin.jpg

1332143550.jpg

In his farewell speech -

The turning point of my career was when my brother (Ajit) took me to Achrekar sir. I was extremely delighted to see him up in the stands. Normally he sits in front of the television and he watches all the games that I play. When I was 11/12, those were the days when I used to hop back on his scooter and play a couple of practice matches a day. The first half the innings I would be batting at Shivaji Park, the second half, at some other match in Azad Maidan. He would take me all over Mumbai to make sure I got match practice.

On a lighter note, in the last 29 years, sir has never ever said 'well played' to me because he thought I would get complacent and I would stop working hard. Maybe he can push his luck and wish me now, well done on my career, because there are no more matches, sir, in my life. I will be witnessing cricket, and cricket will always stay in my heart, but you have had an immense contribution in my life, so thank you very much

Last edited:
Not quite the same but a story of a similar nature was between Nasser Hussain and his dad.

Nass just played a game for his school (forest school) in which he scored a hundred and took 9 wickets. In the car on the way home, his father, Joe (Jawad) Hussain (RIP) laid into Nass for not taking the 10th wicket.

RIP Mr Achrekar!

Coaches like him at grass root levels are the real heroes. He was truly a special man and remains a role model for all budding coaches.

The things he did for Sachin, truly remarkable.

or may be its just that Sachin has been more grateful to his humble coach than other players have been to their?

Rahul Dravid always attributes his success in cricket to the batting technique that his coach Keki Tarapore had instilled in him.

Some great memories and stories of Sachin with Achrekar Sir.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_6-6QAMidv4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GRqnzws8-kY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

To put things into perspective in the 1990s Tendulkar and Kambli were the biggest rage in Indian cricket both boys came through Achrekar and there was of course Praveen Amre.

Some great memories and stories of Sachin with Achrekar Sir.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_6-6QAMidv4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GRqnzws8-kY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

To put things into perspective in the 1990s Tendulkar and Kambli were the biggest rage in Indian cricket both boys came through Achrekar and there was of course Praveen Amre.

Agarkar was also coached by Achrekar.

In terms of stories I think best one for me was the then world record 664 run partnership between Kambli and Tendulkar story, apparently Achrekar was not present for that game due to some reason but he had instructed his assistant to make sure that the team scored quick runs and then declare as he wanted to play tendulkar in another game the next day and was quite ****** at them and apparently tendulkar's team played without him the next day.

Imran Khan and Wasim Akram.
No doubt Imran was like a godfather to him. Wasim would never have become the bowler he was without Imran.

Back