Anyone collector of Cricket Magazines?

greatest

Local Club Regular
Runs
Anyone here who used to buy and keep a collection of cricket magazines especially The Cricketer International, Wisden Cricket Monthly, The Cricketer Pakistan, Akhbar-e-Watan etc ?

I myself in the 90s had heaps of The Cricketer Pakistan (English/Urdu), the Cricketer Asian Edition and Akbar-e-Watan. My passion dwindled after 1999 and I gave it to a book store for free. The main reason was the arrival of cricket websites and blogs which provided me with all the cricket info.

Since the last ten years I have once again started buying retro mags from the pre 80s era mostly The Cricketer International and Wisden Cricket Monthly from ebay.uk. I enjoy reading the articles from renowned writers/columnist like CMJ, David Frith, Roebuck, Arlott, Cardus, Swanton etc etc. Plus, the feel of these mags just makes me nostalgic.

Do anyone else here still reads and collects these mags?

i used to buy the cricketer pakistan in the late 90s, was an amazing magazine, great writing, lots of stats but internet completely killed it off.

theres something of old media formats, reading limited information used to let your imagination run wild as a kid and you built these stories and narratives around these cricketers.

very fond memories.

i used to buy the cricketer pakistan in the late 90s, was an amazing magazine, great writing, lots of stats but internet completely killed it off.

theres something of old media formats, reading limited information used to let your imagination run wild as a kid and you built these stories and narratives around these cricketers.

very fond memories.

Same here Bro!
Those days information was indeed limited but whoever wrote or spoke had a deep love of the game. There was nothing commercial about the information we got. Nowadays, in this age of information overload everyone claims to be an expert.

very fond memories.

Are you still in possession of these mags or are they sold away?

I really had a hard time selling or even handing over these mags because in Dubai where I live, one hardly meets anyone who loves reading cricket literature. The book store I finally gave these mags to was unwilling to take it and they only accepted it because I pledge not to take a penny from them. I'm sure they might have thrown them somewhere!

The pre 80s mags which I now frequently buy online are 120 in total and still growing. These hopefully will remain with me forever!

Are you still in possession of these mags or are they sold away?

I really had a hard time selling or even handing over these mags because in Dubai where I live, one hardly meets anyone who loves reading cricket literature. The book store I finally gave these mags to was unwilling to take it and they only accepted it because I pledge not to take a penny from them. I'm sure they might have thrown them somewhere!

The pre 80s mags which I now frequently buy online are 120 in total and still growing. These hopefully will remain with me forever!

i left them in Pakistan when i left many decades ago, I'm guessing they were tossed out when the house was eventually cleaned.

tbh in a way I'm glad there gone, maybe reading them now would change my memories of the content and quality, i like the memories of going to the main magazine seller in pindi and pestering my dad to buy me one on sundays, then reading the whole thing on the same day lol.

strangely when i see images of the old magazines i still remember the way the cover felt, and the pages inside. simpler times.

i left them in Pakistan when i left many decades ago, I'm guessing they were tossed out when the house was eventually cleaned.

tbh in a way I'm glad there gone, maybe reading them now would change my memories of the content and quality, i like the memories of going to the main magazine seller in pindi and pestering my dad to buy me one on sundays, then reading the whole thing on the same day lol.

strangely when i see images of the old magazines i still remember the way the cover felt, and the pages inside. simpler times.

Yes, similar memories here!

I never used to buy every month, maybe 4 or 5 mags a year. My dad used to be very strict and at times used to scold me on reading them. He used to tell me only buy it after your mid and final exams.
On the last week of every month I used to go and visit the seller shop multiple times just to stare at latest mags and salivate!

Yes ! I loved The Cricketer magazine and had a stack of them from the early 2000s. I distinctly remember the first one having an article or perhaps a letter from a fan advocating Shoaib Akhtar for captaincy after the 2003 World Cup :))

Unfortunately when we moved house about 15 years ago they got lost.

Yes ! I loved The Cricketer magazine and had a stack of them from the early 2000s. I distinctly remember the first one having an article or perhaps a letter from a fan advocating Shoaib Akhtar for captaincy after the 2003 World Cup :))

Unfortunately when we moved house about 15 years ago they got lost.

They might have ended up being used by some paanwala or some shop to sell samosas and pakoras. Well, that's the most likely place you can find pieces of retro mags in our part of the world.

Back