Are you in favor of the two bouncer rule in all forms of cricket?

Are you in favor of the two bouncer rule in all forms of cricket?

• No - Traditional one-bouncer-per-over rule maintains fair balance and player safety.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The addition of two bouncers per over rule will benefit the balance of the game. Liam Livingstone, the England and Punjab Kings all-rounder on new IPL rule who admitted that the level of excitement will only improve following the implementation of this rule, during the pre-game presser in Chandigarh:

"I think it'll be good to have two bouncers available. The bowlers have complained a lot over the years that everything is in the batters' favour, so they've got something in their favour now. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.”

Former Pakistani batter Ramiz Raja also commends the addition of the two bouncers per over rule in IPL 2024:

All down to the ICC

If they want big scoring games, then they will do what ever it takes to empower batters

Even unlimited bouncers in the over will not do much if the wickets are super flat. Watch Rohit Sharma effortlessly hook and pull the six bouncers in the over for fours and sixes.

Two bouncer per over rule has been introduced in IPL from this season and LSG were bounced out in the first six overs of their chase of 194, reducing them to 47 for 3. Lucknow Super Giants skipper KL Rahul said at the post-match presentation ceremony:

"It is just the first game and I am not going to make too much out of it or over-analyse.Powerplay is crucial for every team, and I don't think any team has cracked it yet."

I think its ok, when a bowler can bowl 6 yorkers in an over so why cant he bowl bouncers?

Today they used effectively. Few wickets fell to short ball. But you have to bowl at the right time.

Two bouncer per over rule has been introduced in IPL from this season and LSG were bounced out in the first six overs of their chase of 194, reducing them to 47 for 3. Lucknow Super Giants skipper KL Rahul said at the post-match presentation ceremony:

"It is just the first game and I am not going to make too much out of it or over-analyse.Powerplay is crucial for every team, and I don't think any team has cracked it yet."
Anything that useless tuk tuk klrahul says needs to be ignored. Cant think of a worse player who has been so overhyped and given so many chances..and btw - he will nver crack this code nor any code !:)

This is a really good rule - needs to implemented across all T20s incl the 24t20 wc.

Cricket-Rajasthan's Sandeep, Lucknow's Pooran back two-bouncer rule in IPL​

Rajasthan Royals paceman Sandeep Sharma welcomed a rule change in the Indian Premier League (IPL) that allows bowlers to send down two bouncers per over, saying it would keep batsmen guessing and make the game more unpredictable.

Twenty20 cricket has largely been a batsmen-friendly format with bowlers allowed only one short-pitched delivery every over, including in international games, but the Indian cricket board tweaked the rule to level the playing field at this year's IPL.

The change was successfully trialled during India's domestic T20 tournament.

"I think the bowlers get some help with this," Sandeep told reporters after Rajasthan beat Lucknow Super Giants by 20 runs in their opener on Sunday.

"Earlier, batsmen were able to predict where the bowler would bowl if he had used his one bouncer already. It would be easier for the batsmen.

"But with two bouncers, the batsmen are also in two minds that there's still one bouncer left for the bowler to use."

West Indies batsman Nicholas Pooran, whose unbeaten 64 went in vain during Lucknow's unsuccessful chase of 194, also backed the rule tweak.

"It's a good rule. Especially when a guy comes in to bat, it's effective. If someone doesn't like the short ball, you can pepper him with a couple of them," Pooran said.

"But in saying that, we as players and bowlers need to do our homework as well. Some batsmen, they like the short ball as well," the West Indies batsman added.

Reuters

but all the asian batters will suffer from it other than Rohit Sharma :D
Even the great bevan survived due to no bouncer rule in odis but was bounced out in tests quite regularly by sa and eng.Roger twose was another one from Sena to struggle against bouncers

Let them suffer and learn.They have to accept they are not good enough to survive and learn it.
Only good thing about current Indian players is .most of then are much better against short balls.than even SENA players. Rohit, Kohli, Gill, Rahul, Pant, Rahane, Samson. Only suspect candidate is Iyer.

Only good thing about current Indian players is .most of then are much better against short balls.than even SENA players. Rohit, Kohli, Gill, Rahul, Pant, Rahane, Samson. Only suspect candidate is Iyer.
I think past few years we got good against bounce and bad against swing/seam.

'It adds more to...': Kagiso Rabada wants two bouncers rule also in international cricket

South Africa's pace spearhead, Kagiso Rabada, advocates for the introduction of the two- bouncer-per-over rule in the IPL this season to be implemented at the highest level of cricket as well.

"I don't see why not, it balances the game more. As you have seen there have been a whole lot of runs scored, wickets are better. It makes the game more interesting," the 28-year-old opined.

Rabada, widely regarded as one of the premier pacers in the sport, also commended latest ace sensation Mayank Yadav's remarkable accuracy and how he used the two-bouncer rule to his advantage.

"It makes both batters and bowlers think more about the game."

"It adds more to strategy. From the fans' perspective, it adds another talking point. As a cricket player, it gives you a lot more to work with, it allows batters to find new ways to deal with short balls."

"If you use it to your advantage just like Mayank has used (for LSG) that is playing into his hands extremely well. Each team can use it as a weapon in its arsenal," reckoned Rabada.

The IPL 2024 carries immense importance as it acts as a vital build-up to the T20 World Cup scheduled for June. Rabada is focused on making significant contributions to South Africa's pursuit of an elusive ICC title in the upcoming tournament.

This has definitely made the batsman stay in their crease. It also forces batsman to get better against short ball.

Yes, I'm in favor of this rule. ICC has to bring this rule to the international level too because this game belongs to batters and bowlers equally. We don't always want to see sixes. We also want to see some quality bowling and wickets shattering away.

IPL’s two-bouncer rule: Making an impact, in a new way​

Swing out or get out has been the usual recourse for batters in this IPL, encouraged by thicker bats and disproportionate boundary lengths. Throwing a spanner into this aggressive ploy this season is the short ball, or more precisely the second bouncer. It’s still a wide spectrum considering how deft changes in lengths and speeds add layers to this delivery. And not everyone has succeeded in exploiting the second bouncer rule too.

Mitchell Starc, IPL’s most expensive recruit, has admittedly not tried it too much. Neither has Anrich Nortje or Kagiso Rabada. More at ease with it seem to be Indian pacers who have a better understanding of the conditions and ground dimensions and are more comfortable with bowling the slower variety of the bouncer. “I think we have seen it being used differently by different attacks, different teams in different conditions,” said Starc after Kolkata Knight Riders’ win against Lucknow Supergiant last Sunday. “Conditions like pace and bounce of the wicket sometimes dictate it, as well as the situation of the game.”

With the introduction of the Impact Player rule last year, teams were allowed to add more depth to the already deep batting orders. To counter it with a second bouncer per over, giving them the licence to hit the hard lengths, was a necessary deterrent.

“Earlier, batsmen were able to predict where the bowler would bowl if he had used his one bouncer. It would be easier for the batsmen,” Rajasthan Royals pacer Sandeep Sharma had said towards the beginning of the tournament. “But with two bouncers, the batsmen are also in two minds that there's still one bouncer left for the bowler to use.”

With T20 lighting a fire under attacking batting, the focus of the second bouncer understandably is to first stem the runs and only then go for a wicket. To that effect, LSG have been the most economical, conceding less than a run (0.89) till Friday’s match, even though Chennai Super Kings have used it most often — averaging 2.3 second bouncers per match, taking their overall count to 12.1 bouncers per game. That only Mumbai Indians have been able to rival this count with 12 bouncers per match — including 1.9 second bouncers — tells you how circumspect teams have been in general when it comes to trying the second bouncer, but it still doesn’t quite cover the anticipation factor or the harder lengths that batters have often struggled to connect to.

Nowhere else was that discomfort more apparent than when Virat Kohli was repeatedly failing to get hold of Andre Russell’s slower bouncers outside the off-stump at Bengaluru last month when RCB were looking to accelerate. The length challenged Kohli but more testing was the line and the lack of pace on it, making it impossible to get under the ball and ramp it. The timing of it was important too. A harder, shinier ball isn’t a great ingredient for the second bouncer during the Powerplay overs when field restrictions are in place. The older, scuffed up ball however gives the second bouncer a much-needed slower twist, explaining why the balls per second bouncer drops from 164.8 in the Powerplay to 87.1 in the middle overs and 45 at the death.

Despite the unprecedented jump in six-hitting, batters still generally follow a simple ploy rooted in the convention of making the most of the ball bowled on an ideal length and at a desirable pace. The numbers may not entirely reflect that, but the second bouncer rule is playing games with the batter’s mind. “The moment it was decided that there were going to be two bouncers in an over, all the bowlers decided that ‘we got to use it at a certain point’,” Sunrisers Hyderabad’s Jaydev Unadkat, who has been a glowing example of how to take the pace off bouncers, had said earlier this month.

“Someone who has pace can use those bouncers, but slower bouncers are working nowadays because the batsmen are trying to muscle the ball out of the ground, especially with the Impact Player rule. You have to use those variations in T20 and keep the batsmen guessing,” said Unadkat. The margin of error becomes key here though, as some bowlers have been either inaccurate or bowled too quick, allowing batters to go hard and big on those pulls. Which is why the second bouncer may not suit every fast bowler’s game.

“So far in the IPL we have seen some guys do it better than others and I’m sure it will be like that through the rest of the tournament,” said Starc. “(But) I think it has been a good addition to the T20 format.”

The addition of two bouncers per over rule will benefit the balance of the game. Liam Livingstone, the England and Punjab Kings all-rounder on new IPL rule who admitted that the level of excitement will only improve following the implementation of this rule, during the pre-game presser in Chandigarh:

"I think it'll be good to have two bouncers available. The bowlers have complained a lot over the years that everything is in the batters' favour, so they've got something in their favour now. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.”

Former Pakistani batter Ramiz Raja also commends the addition of the two bouncers per over rule in IPL 2024:

100% I am in favour. Also in tests we should increase it to 3 tbh.

Also shreyas iyer might quit cricket soon given the changes.

Shreyas iyer says hi.
Also ones who are good against pace and bounce seem weak vs swing and also vs spin in general

In a chat with local Indian sports media,Devon Conway talks about IPL’s two-bouncer rule has become a popular tactic for fielding sides:

"The two-bouncer rule is a valuable addition, addressing a long-standing challenge for bowlers in T20 cricket. It has enabled them to keep batters guessing and exploit various blind spots they may struggle with, thereby creating ways to apply pressure on them in different phases. We’ve already seen some benefits of it in this IPL, and I don’t see why it can’t be the norm in international T20 cricket in the future."

I would encourage 3 bouncers in the over for international cricket. Rules have become too batting friendly.

Back