Are you (mentally) ready for a possible Pakistan-India final in the ICC T20 World Cup 2022?

Would you prefer an India-Pakistan final in the ICC T20 World Cup 2022?

• Total voters

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Still suffering from the 23 October game so not sure how I will take this prospect but I say, aanay do!

Here is Shane Watson on the same topic

==

Potential dream final between India and Pakistan has Australia great excited

The prospect of a mouth-watering final between India and Pakistan at the ICC Men's T20 World Cup has everyone excited, according to Australia great Shane Watson.

India and Pakistan successfully navigated different paths to the final four on a highly-fluctuating final day of Super 12 action on Sunday and now could be on track to meet in the T20 World Cup final if they each win their difficult semi-final match-ups.

Rohit Sharma's side takes on England in Adelaide on Thursday in a battle between the top two teams on the T20I Team Rankings, while Pakistan will have to conquer in-form New Zealand at the SCG on Wednesday if they are to reach the title decider.

Pakistan's chances of even reaching the semi-finals looked forlorn at the start of the day on Sunday, but the Netherlands’ upset victory over South Africa provided Babar Azam's side the opportunity to clinch an unlikely semi-final berth.

A hard-fought five-wicket victory over Bangladesh helped Pakistan clinch the last spot in the semis and Watson believes the chances of a rematch of their meeting at the MCG at the start of the tournament and a dream final between the two biggest rivals in cricket now looms as a strong possibility.

"Everyone would love to see Pakistan and India in the final," an excited Watson said at the SCG on Monday.

"I unfortunately missed that first (Super 12) game at the MCG, as I commentated the game previously between Australia and New Zealand.

"But from all reports, all the people that went along to that game said it was something very special and the game was obviously an amazing game to watch on TV as well.

"They played in the T20 World Cup final in 2007 and everyone would love to see it again."

Standing in Pakistan's way first and foremost is a battle against Kane Williamson's New Zealand and Watson is expecting the battle between the Kiwis' dynamic young opener Finn Allen and Pakistan's bevy of quality fast bowlers to have a major say in the outcome of the cut-throat clash.

But Watson believes the fact Pakistan had all but given up on earning a spot in the semi-finals prior to Sunday's games may actually work in their favour as it will allow them to play with more freedom.

"There are certain times in all tournaments where a team just falls across the line and somehow finds its way into the finals and then goes on to win it," Watson noted.

"Especially when they weren’t expecting to make the semis because of the way they played at certain times throughout this tournament.

"The freedom they are going to have after not expecting much in the middle of the tournament, so the freedom they are going to have is going to be very dangerous for the Kiwis."

ICC

Regarding the main question asked here, I’m more mentally ready (and praying) that Pakistan get past NZ first.

I feel there’s a bit of dangerous narrative developing about how Pakistan are destined for XYZ because of their miraculous entry into the semis.

However, we as fans are getting ahead of our selves. Right now I just hope that we can inshAllah get past NZ. That’s it.

You have to feel sorry for England and New Zealand. Apart from their own fans, no soul on earth wants to see them win their respective semifinals.

It is a weird situation when you know that even the governing body of the game will be on a prayer mat praying for England and New Zealand to lose their semifinals.

All the hype over a potential Pakistan-India final could have a psychological impact on the England and New Zealand players in the semifinals.

No. Last time they played against each other, I was depressed for days. Don’t want to go through the same situation again.

Revenge of 2007. This time Iftikhar Ahmad will play the ramp shot

India was under more pressure than us and it has been the case the last few times we've played each other. They just got lucky last time.

Bring it on!

India will start as favorites if this match happens. Pakistan lost it in the group stage and their openers have been criticised by both Indians and Pakistanis together. But in my opinion both teams won't make it into the final together. :inti

India will start as favorites if this match happens. Pakistan lost it in the group stage and their openers have been criticised by both Indians and Pakistanis together. But in my opinion both teams won't make it into the final together. :inti

Indian openers have been as detrimental to their team if not more than our openers. We only lost to India in the group stages to a no-ball six that never was.

I’m actually really looking forward to it. It’s what we live for as the fans of this sport and the fans of either India or Pakistan

Our sport is great when these two play each other in high stakes matches. Otherwise, our existence as fans for India or Pakistan is meaningless.

Ready to bite the bullet. If somehow we manage to beat India in finals again, I'll say with confidence that finally, the monkey is no more on our back. This will be a much-needed win. I hope it happens and Pakistan will give a proper thrashing to India in front of 90K+ spectators.

These talks will only make sense after thursday night when both semifinals are done.
Both NZ and Eng are very much capable of defeating Pakistan and India respectively.

If Pakistan win on Wednesday

I will be all out supporting India on Thursday

India v Pakistan anytime!

I dont know if i can take it tbh, its one thing watching on tv, this is the first tournament where i have been following the team around, the tension just kills you

Funny how cricket works out. The Final could be rematches of 1992 WC, 2007 T20 WC, 2019 WC and 2021 WTC.

I dont know if i can take it tbh, its one thing watching on tv, this is the first tournament where i have been following the team around, the tension just kills you

tell me about it.

I had to watch the ind Vs SA game and Bang vs ind game. I was soo disappointed that when the Netherlands vs SA game started, I said to myself I cant watch them bat man.

I slept for few hours woke up, saw the NL score and SOuth Africa were 2 down. I had to be very pessimistic until Klassen got out. I started hoping after that David Miller catch by Van der mer

tell me about it.

I had to watch the ind Vs SA game and Bang vs ind game. I was soo disappointed that when the Netherlands vs SA game started, I said to myself I cant watch them bat man.

I slept for few hours woke up, saw the NL score and SOuth Africa were 2 down. I had to be very pessimistic until Klassen got out. I started hoping after that David Miller catch by Van der mer

its the hope that kills you, but at least if Im watching it on tv i can immediately get on with other things to quell the dissapointement.

If you are physically following the team around the country, it becomes a constant 24hr thing, the fury I felt after Zimbabwe was something i have never felt watching sport. Leaving the MCG after the India game was a kind of depression I have never felt either, even after 1999 final, Hussey in 2010, Mohali in 2011, or Wade last year.

Imagine if the 1983 and 1987 ODI world cups had been an India Pakistan final..narrow miss on both occasions

Win or loss it’s going to be unforgettable for years to come. Hope it happens and we win!

Revenge of 2007. This time Iftikhar Ahmad will play the ramp shot

I will be in MCG and i will certainly watch Pak taking 2007 revenge.
We just need to field good and we should win.

I dont want any ramp shot please...still not over Misbah's

It will be more funny to see NZ vs India final tbh. NZ’s trophy drought and India’s record against NZ will be the two things waiting to become a relic of the past.

It would be great and exactly the kind of occasion we dream of in sport. However, looking at the weather forecast the match will probably be washed out with thunderstorms on Sunday and Monday.

Nothing would be sweeter than beating India in a final but I would rather face England because we have more chance of succeeding against them even though they're a better team.

I don't think our boys can handle the pressure of a Pakistan v India contest. Unless we somehow get SKY and Kohli out cheaply, we won't win it. At least one of these two is bound to play a clutch innings.

ICC officials licking their lips for this to happen. Can you imagine the revenue that will generate ... They must be praying hard for both NZ and Eng bottling their matches, lol.

It would be great and exactly the kind of occasion we dream of in sport. However, looking at the weather forecast the match will probably be washed out with thunderstorms on Sunday and Monday.

I read some where in case final is washed out for sunday and reserve day monday, i heared that the 2 finalist would be declared joint winners is that true.

Even though India vs Pakistan would be great revenue wise - England and new Zealand deserve to be the finalists. They have played the best cricket in the tournament.

I read some where in case final is washed out for sunday and reserve day monday, i heared that the 2 finalist would be declared joint winners is that true.

Yes i believe so. Would be a huge anti climax and to be honest i would rather lose the final than have it washed out

You have to feel sorry for England and New Zealand. Apart from their own fans, no soul on earth wants to see them win their respective semifinals.

It is a weird situation when you know that even the governing body of the game will be on a prayer mat praying for England and New Zealand to lose their semifinals.

All the hype over a potential Pakistan-India final could have a psychological impact on the England and New Zealand players in the semifinals.

They are professional players, they really don't care what others want or think. Otherwise India would have made it to the finals in 2015 / 2019 WC instead they lost both SF games.

Yes i believe so. Would be a huge anti climax and to be honest i would rather lose the final than have it washed out

No I'll take an ICC trophy by any methods.

Will take us to 4 stars one away from the GOAT teams with 5 stars.

Yes !! Ready for any encounter. Only reason fans are nervous is because of the mutual trolling happens afterwards. If you lose to NZ or England there won't be any trolling. But this after effect is the reason why fans are getting a little nervous. Players don't really care about after effects. If as a fan you don't acre about either you should be able to watch it without any nerves. If you lose you just have to move on saying you lost to a better team.

There was once CT final was washed out even on a reserve day. India and SL had to share the CT. Hope that is not the case. Hope the game goes we get a result. This is why i am alway skeptical of having oldies in the side. Experienced Oldies very often choke in crunch situations.

It has to be! I feel it is destiny that the final will be India-Pakistan, and probably will be an all-time great match. I'm sure at least 50% of Indians will be supporting Pakistan, and I hope once you win, we will have some support as well.

It has to be! I feel it is destiny that the final will be India-Pakistan, and probably will be an all-time great match. I'm sure at least 50% of Indians will be supporting Pakistan, and I hope once you win, we will have some support as well.

What sort of rubbish is this?

Can you imagine if india and pakistan make the finals have both days rained off, only to have both teams share the trophy, would be really interesting and funny too see how social media would react.

Would it be possible that maybe both fans find some common ground and maybe a shared trophy units both countries (who knows)

I agree with you 100 percent, i would rather play finals and lose than to have it washed out the whole point of having a trophy and final is to declare ultimatley who is the best team to win, having it shared defeats the whole purpose.

Hoping for Pakistan v England final.

Can you imagine if india and pakistan make the finals have both days rained off, only to have both teams share the trophy, would be really interesting and funny too see how social media would react.

Would it be possible that maybe both fans find some common ground and maybe a shared trophy units both countries (who knows)

I agree with you 100 percent, i would rather play finals and lose than to have it washed out the whole point of having a trophy and final is to declare ultimatley who is the best team to win, having it shared defeats the whole purpose.

It would actual bring the two fan sets together and would be a good story..and would also be a slap in the face of many who want the antagonism to continue ad infinitum.

If Pakistan go to final, I expect them to win it (whether England or India).

Whether Pakistan plays Ind or England it doesn't really matter to me. Thinking about the final can wait until the semis are over.

Whether Pakistan plays Ind or England it doesn't really matter to me. Thinking about the final can wait until the semis are over.

Yes. That is my thinking as well. One step at a time. If Afghanistan can give Australia run for money, If Holland can beat SA, If Ireland can beat England, If Srilanka can make English chase a hell, If Zimbabwe can beat Pakistan literally anything may happen.

This is not a Pakistani side that turns up the heat in the business end of the cup. I don't want to face India in the final we will lose 100%.

Yes. That is my thinking as well. One step at a time. If Afghanistan can give Australia run for money, If Holland can beat SA, If Ireland can beat England, If Srilanka can make English chase a hell, If Zimbabwe can beat Pakistan literally anything may happen.

PAK, NZ, ENG, and IND aren't low-ranked teams. From this point on no result will be surprising.

Think Pakistan will be favourites. If looked objectively they have better balance in their team with a strong bowling line up given the conditions and functional middle order players who can score quick fire 30-40 at a 150+ SR. It was just a freak innings from Kohli that did not help the other day but they were in control during 80% of the match.

India does not have the right bowlers for these conditions to trouble the batsmen with Bumrah missing and Siraj not selected. Instead they are playing spinners who are ineffective with ball and liabilities with bat and on field. The lesser said about their batting is better with Rohit looking unfit, Pandya back to his usual indifferent self and KL always being a mentally weak batsman in pressure scenarios who only performs against lower ranked teams.

Fans who were prematurely celebrating Pakistan's exit from the WC are not mentally ready for an India vs Pakistan final. :91: :inti

Would love to have a Pakistan vs England final, Ind vs Pak gets too personal and emotionally draining
A repeat of 92 at the G against England will be ideal with Bobby and SSA emulating IK & Waz respectively:nasser

25/25/25/25 for all teams semi final stage

50/50 final

All 4 can beat each other. I know India has this issue against Williamson-led NZ. But all those times his buddy Kohli was captaining. Now Rohit Sharma.

Law of average in recent time will favor Pakistan .

I think one of the two will make it to final ,not both India and Pakistan .

India is better equipped to beat England .

Would love to have a Pakistan vs England final, Ind vs Pak gets too personal and emotionally draining
A repeat of 92 at the G against England will be ideal with Bobby and SSA emulating IK & Waz respectively:nasser

There is a potential scary end to that roadmap.

Babar becoming PM after 30 years. 😃

England is a tough opponent and I don't see India beating them regardless of the hype.

Pakistan has had a chance to play newzeland recently and has a good idea of their strengths and weaknesses but India playing England in these conditions is a tough preposition for India.

I personally see Pakistan England final here.

No, I'd hate a final like that, I'd be far too tense as losing isn't an option. And we always lose to them in a WC despite the anomaly last year.

If we win, I would take India over England any day. England can butcher us with their batting. any one of their batters can take down even Haris, Shaheen, Shadab, etc, in a single over for 20+ runs and change the game completely.

Yes Kohli did that, and besides him SKY has that ability, but not 5-6 players in a row who can unlike England.

If we win, I would take India over England any day. England can butcher us with their batting. any one of their batters can take down even Haris, Shaheen, Shadab, etc, in a single over for 20+ runs and change the game completely.

Yes Kohli did that, and besides him SKY has that ability, but not 5-6 players in a row who can unlike England.

That's true, but Pak would be more relaxed playing against England than they would India who have psychological hold over our players in WC's.

One or two players can change the game like Kohli or SKY but that's what might only be needed. Plus they still have others who can potentially take the game away.

Sometimes, the enormity of the occasion can be a factor as well as the teams on paper.

I'm taking it one game at a time. I just want us to bring it all vs New Zealand. I wish the south africa game was our last group game and not the one vs bangladesh. We would've had incredible momentum. Still, I think our bowling lineup has been absolutely breathtaking this tournament and the difference between game 1 and the semis is that Shaheen is beginning to find his rhythm too, so gotten scarier!

NZ is about to face the world's best bowling attack and that should give the guys confidence going into this game. Forget Rizbar and all that, if were gonna demolish NZ for 140 it won't matter who bats where!

I am not because I know it will be Pak vs England and not Pak Bharat muqabla.

Eng is too good and India is just Kohli. They will put Wood on for Kohli and the game will be over. England is not Zimbabwe.

What I am not ready for is England in the final though. I think they will thrash us.

We have to rise to the challenge. If we make it to the finals we have to go all guns blazing. Just like the Champions Trophy, we lost the early game and dominated them in the final. That can be our new template for India. It will scare the bejesus out of them if we can pull it off! Here’s hoping for the best…

Astros won Major League Baseball World Series in 2017
Pakistan won Champions Trophy 2017

Astros won Major League Baseball World Series in 2022
??

:inti

I am not because I know it will be Pak vs England and not Pak Bharat muqabla.

Eng is too good and India is just Kohli. They will put Wood on for Kohli and the game will be over. England is not Zimbabwe.

What I am not ready for is England in the final though. I think they will thrash us.

No they won’t. Both teams are well aware of the rich history of what went down years ago. Same country, same continent, same city, same ground, same teams.

Native Australian population will also be supporting us.

Indians, Bangladeshis, Lankans, Afghanis etc will all be supporting us as part of Asian pride.

Immense pressure on the Brits.

India are not going to win SF, very weak bowling and fielding unit.

Their bowling is usually very good against us up front, they start swinging it round corners and our openers are like rabbits caught under the headlights.

I don't buy into this myth that their bowling is very weak. Arshdeep is one of the highest wicket takers. You're not going to get to semis and finals with a weak bowling cos other teams would just out bat them.

If Pakistan go through then I hope it's England they face in the final.

Main reason for that is the pressure of playing against India in a final and what that does to our players.

Main reason for that is the pressure of playing against India in a final and what that does to our players.

Like the last major final they played CT17.

England and New Zealand could be a great contest and be a nail biter. Pakistan-India final I feel could end up being an anti-climax, with any side winning it one-sided.

Their bowling is usually very good against us up front, they start swinging it round corners and our openers are like rabbits caught under the headlights.

I don't buy into this myth that their bowling is very weak. Arshdeep is one of the highest wicket takers. You're not going to get to semis and finals with a weak bowling cos other teams would just out bat them.

Agreed on arshdeep aspect he bowl very good so far but just look at other bowlers they look so ordinary hardik & ashwin will get phanita in SF. They should seriously think about Yuzi he is better bowler than ashwin.
Two changes required and india will have 50.5% chance. Ashwin out yuzi in, axar out harshal in

Even though India vs Pakistan would be great revenue wise - England and new Zealand deserve to be the finalists. They have played the best cricket in the tournament.

I think India and New Zealand are the ones deserving to go to the finals. They’re the only teams who have not lost to minnows! Both England and Pakistan have choked.

Pressure will be on India if Pakistan manages to reach the final first. There will be immense pressure from media, zomato and fans also because they were laughing their hearts out prematurely before Pakistan reached semi finals. :inti

Not ready. Want a NZ vs England match in 2022 finals.

Pressure will be on India if Pakistan manages to reach the final first. There will be immense pressure from media, zomato and fans also because they were laughing their hearts out prematurely before Pakistan reached semi finals. :inti

Yes, Indians definitely will feel the heat and pressure if Pakistan wins tomorrow. It will be like a heartbreak if India loose for them. As a neutral I want Pakistan Vs India final. All the Australians locally will be behind them (India and Pakistan)obviously. So they will have huge onfield support.

There is no doubt toxic people on both sides of the divide and they ruin it for everyone else by creating animosity when we should just enjoy the occasion - two nations with a complicated political context but who nevertheless share a rich history, language, food, culture etc. There is no need for anything other than that.

There is no doubt toxic people on both sides of the divide and they ruin it for everyone else by creating animosity when we should just enjoy the occasion - two nations with a complicated political context but who nevertheless share a rich history, language, food, culture etc. There is no need for anything other than that.

Can we make this a sticky post?

Only if India go on to lose to Pakistan in the similar thrashing to the 2017 CT final. Not ready for anything else.

Back