Argentina defeat France 4-2 on penalties after a 3-3 draw to win the 2022 FIFA World Cup

Here are my favorite moments of the tournament:

1) Morocco being in last 4.

2) Argentine goalkeeper saving penalties against Netherlands.

3) Messi being Messi.

4) Mbappe scoring a hat-trick in final.

5) KSA winning against Argentina.

6) Germany getting knocked out in group stage (I really enjoyed that).

7) And, of course, Argentina winning the final penalty shootouts.

Last edited:

3) Messi being Messi.

Good List but add Croatia beating Brazil too.

3) Messi being Messi.

Great list and I agree with it all.

Argentina the rightful winners but Morocco won the hearts of the world.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The only team to beat Argentina at this World Cup - Saudi Arabia <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/FIFAWorldCup?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#FIFAWorldCup</a> <a href="https://t.co/qBiEryh03E">pic.twitter.com/qBiEryh03E</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1604550690721779712?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 18, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ironically I still would see Saudi Arabia v Argentina as Game of the Tournament (apart from the Final), it was absolutely off the wall and thrilling with so much passion, and utterly gob smacking. After this opener for Argentina I never thought they would come back and win the World Cup a few weeks later.

Rehan ul Haq on Asports got his prediction bang on. He predicted the 3-3 scoreline and Argentina winning on penalties.

That was some prediction,lol

This French team is just nuts. They can be god awful for 85 minutes and still kill the game in remaining 5.

Ironically I still would see Saudi Arabia v Argentina as Game of the Tournament (apart from the Final), it was absolutely off the wall and thrilling with so much passion, and utterly gob smacking. After this opener for Argentina I never thought they would come back and win the World Cup a few weeks later.

To be honest, KSA beating Argentina was an upset. I always knew Argentina could still top the group and go far.

The odds of Argentina to win the WC after the KSA match had lengthened to 20 to 1.

What a finish for Messi....richly deserved

And what a tournament, probably the greatest sporting spectacle ever.

Messi and his fans deserve this World Cup :)

Messi Messi Messi The Greatest Ever :)

Thank you Messi we love u 🥰

But where is Ronaldo :))

btw indian cricket pages are soo full of them selves. They are comparing this world cup win to tendulkar and indians 2011 win :facepalm:

btw indian cricket pages are soo full of them selves. They are comparing this world cup win to tendulkar and indians 2011 win :facepalm:

What a joke! Comparing a FIFA World Cup to a cricket World Cup.

They are full of themselves.

To be honest, KSA beating Argentina was an upset. I always knew Argentina could still top the group and go far.

Have to give it to you brother, you always backed Argentina to win the World Cup, though you were totally wrong on Brazil, LOL

Have to give it to you brother, you always backed Argentina to win the World Cup, though you were totally wrong on Brazil, LOL

I root for Argentina since I was a kid. 1998, to be specific.

In football, Argentina is like my 2nd country.

However, I was rooting for Muslim states too (Qatar, KSA, Morocco, Iran, and Tunisia).

Messi and his fans deserve this World Cup :)

Messi Messi Messi The Greatest Ever :)

Thank you Messi we love u &#55358;&#56688;

But where is Ronaldo[/B] :))

Probably planning to do another interview with Piers Morgan, where he moans about getting dropped from Portugal starting eleven.

<b>Argentina ‘suffered’ to secure win: Martinez</b>

Argentina’s goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez says his side “suffered” during their thrilling victory against France.

“There could not have been a World Cup that I have dreamed of like this,” Martinez told reporters.

“It was a very complicated match, they came back to equalise in the game but it was our destiny to suffer,” the 30-year-old added.

“All that I have dreamed of has been achieved. I have no words for it. I was calm during the penalty shoot-out, and everything went as we wanted.”

Congrats to Argentina and their amazing fans in Qatar who were a credit to their country and the tournament.

The WC trophy finally comes back to South America after 20 years.

<b>Argentina ‘suffered’ to secure win: Martinez</b>

Argentina’s goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez says his side “suffered” during their thrilling victory against France.

“There could not have been a World Cup that I have dreamed of like this,” Martinez told reporters.

“It was a very complicated match, they came back to equalise in the game but it was our destiny to suffer,” the 30-year-old added.

“All that I have dreamed of has been achieved. I have no words for it. I was calm during the penalty shoot-out, and everything went as we wanted.”

I thought his gesture after receiving the Golden Glove award was interesting.

I thought his gesture after receiving the Golden Glove award was interesting.

Not really sure what the point of that was, quite disrespectful in front of his hosts, but I would just put it down to excitement in the heat of the moment. He has been heroic in this tournament, and that save with his feet at the end of extra time won the world cup in my opinion.

Martinez is a proper loose canon

He will be a celebrity for the rest of his life now

The comparisons between Tendulkar 2011 WC win and Messi's 2022 WC on social media are getting beyond a joke.

We get it, Tendulkar and Messi have zero personality, failed multiple times at the WC, won the WC based on law of averages, never won single handedly, but why on earth are Indian cricket fans bleating on?

The comparisons between Tendulkar 2011 WC win and Messi's 2022 WC on social media are getting beyond a joke.

We get it, Tendulkar and Messi have zero personality, failed multiple times at the WC, won the WC based on law of averages, never won single handedly, but why on earth are Indian cricket fans bleating on?

They are under some bizarre delusion that the rest of the world is obsessed with cricket like they are.

Not really sure what the point of that was, quite disrespectful in front of his hosts, but I would just put it down to excitement in the heat of the moment. He has been heroic in this tournament, and that save with his feet at the end of extra time won the world cup in my opinion.

He is pompous & overbearing, but the character that he brings has uplifted the whole nation. He is not the most talented or technically correct goalkeeper in the world, but his attitude is second to none.

He has proper presence & leadership qualities & you need them in your keeper. I really don’t think Aston Villa can hold onto him beyond the summer.

The pain is real.

Maybe it was his way to express to the world that he has the largest cojones.

I'm more open minded about it because different cultures bring about different practices and customs.

The pain is real.

If only you ever watched Maradonna live then you would understand his level of impact and the standards he set.

Maradonna - daylight - Messi (even after his WC win).

PS - You never watched Tendulkar in his prime either.

:)

Goodness gracious me. We know it's been a tough day for you as a Ronaldo fan boy but cry me a river!

He is pompous & overbearing, but the character that he brings has uplifted the whole nation. He is not the most talented or technically correct goalkeeper in the world, but his attitude is second to none.

He has proper presence & leadership qualities & you need them in your keeper. I really don’t think Aston Villa can hold onto him beyond the summer.

Cup tournaments are won by character. This keeper had it in spades, and I thought the Moroccan keeper Bono had it as well. Lloris on the other hand was hopeless.

I hope not, he has been very influential at the club. But if he is to leave, we should be in a good position with 4 years or so left ok his contract, we’re eying up Bono as potential replacement should that happen

Cup tournaments are won by character. This keeper had it in spades, and I thought the Moroccan keeper Bono had it as well. Lloris on the other hand was hopeless.

Lloris doesn't have much of a personality. Even though he is like 6ft 2, he acts more like 5ft 5 keeper. He is quite a meek character. Martinez is good at saving penalties, because he gets inside the head of the players with his antics.

Argentina goalie should have won the golden ball award, not Messi. His sledging of the penalty takers lead to their mental disintegration in both the Holland game and today. Fantastic character to have in a high pressure game.

They are under some bizarre delusion that the rest of the world is obsessed with cricket like they are.

Yes.

Fact of the fact is very few care about cricket outside of subcontinent. Even SENA countries have other sports as #1 sports.

Football is a global sport while cricket is a minor sport. So, their comparison is funny.

Tonight we are all Argentinian.

Not sure what was funnier, the tears from Macron or tears from Ronaldo fans :))

If only you ever watched Maradonna live then you would understand his level of impact and the standards he set.

Please keep crying, it is extremely entertaining.

No one cares if you think it is Maradona daylight Messi or Maradona sunlight Messi.

You are not Argentinian, you do not carry the emotions & the feelings of Argentinian football fans. Your views hold no importance. Please sit down.

If you go to Argentina right now & tell them that Maradona daylight Messi & that Messi bailed on them etc., you will probably get beaten to a pulp.

Stop being salty & enjoy the GOAT getting crowned like the rest of the world is & let Argentina have its moment.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Incredible scenes in Argentina .. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WorldCupFinal?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#WorldCupFinal</a> <a href="https://t.co/hOyOk0yVZT">pic.twitter.com/hOyOk0yVZT</a></p>— Michael Vaughan (@MichaelVaughan) <a href="https://twitter.com/MichaelVaughan/status/1604731137535926273?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 19, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Congratulations to Argentina.

As a layman - I didn't want France (or any other such team) full of African imports to win. That would be a second hand victory.

Lol at Messi has zero personality. His record speaks for itself.

Messi is a leader. Just because he is a quiet and humble man, it doesn’t mean he has no personality. For some people, personality means sulking, storming off the pitch or doing coke.

This is the same guy who put Ronaldo over Messi and argued about it endlessly, right?

Can't take him seriously. Probably didn't even watch Maradona and is only defending Maradona endlessly because his hero's claim to be the greatest or amongst the greatest is over.

Messi is a leader. Just because he is a quiet and humble man, it doesn’t mean he has no personality. For some people, personality means sulking, storming off the pitch or doing coke.
Anyone disputing Messi being a leader after the Copa and WC is nothing but a hater. Messi amongst the greatest leaders of all time. The way he led his men to both titles only adds to his greatness.

His teammates were willing to die for him, and were more happy for Messi than themselves. That just goes to show how much he means to them.

Lol at Messi has zero personality. His record speaks for itself.

No personality.

FkVXlhWXgAMC0_g

Yes.

Fact of the fact is very few care about cricket outside of subcontinent. Even SENA countries have other sports as #1 sports.

Football is a global sport while cricket is a minor sport. So, their comparison is funny.
Tbf I've seen a lot of Ronaldo and Madrid fans concede or say he may not be the people's GOAT but Ronaldo is their GOAT (basically admitting they're holding on purely out of sentiment, deep down they've accepted Messi is better).

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Argentina squad return home ahead of their victory parade celebrating their World Cup success &#55356;&#56806;&#55356;&#56823;&#55356;&#57286;<a href="https://t.co/LLR3XaPRSv">pic.twitter.com/LLR3XaPRSv</a></p>— Sky Sports (@SkySports) <a href="https://twitter.com/SkySports/status/1605102162387820544?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 20, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

As the mood of celebration settles down a little of having watched an absolutely spectacular World Cup Final, it´s time to reflect upon a few things. Truth be told, France were awful, plain awful, for a much greater part of the game. By the 65th or 70th minute or so, from what I remember, they had zero attempts on goal, zero! No, I don´t mean attempts on target, I mean attempts on goal itself! It´s amazing how that little bit of ray of hope, how that self-trust and confidence, can do wonders for a team in sports. Did you guys see how charged on the French players were all of a sudden and how they were hungry to chase the ball and go after it? They played slightly better around after the 80th minute or so, but where were they before that? Again, they were awful and, perhaps, weren´t even justifying their place in the Final before that. That huge missed chance just, just, moments before the end of the Extra Time is a moment which will haunt the French football history, like Trezeguet´s missed penalty in the Final in 2006. On the other hand, though, that was a gem of a save by Martinez, coupled with his very good performance in the Penalty Shoot-out. Di Maria was another one of their players who displayed his A game. If you look at it, Argentina played much better and deserved more than France as a team to win.

It´s amazing how a team can play so bad, so bad, for way longer than an hour, end up being dominated like school-boys, and yet end up playing a part in one of the greatest games ever in the history of the game. That is football for you! What a sport!

Also, I know that I´m going to sound very harsh, very, very harsh, but, as good as he was in the Semi-Final, Lloris didn´t deliver a good performance in the Final. At least three of the penalties shot at him, including two in the Shoot-out, were pretty stoppable. He should´ve been able to stop at least one in the whole match, in my opinion. But again, the French team sleepwalked most of the match anyway!

I would like to thank FIFA and all the other organisations involved in the arrangements of the tournament, the host country Qatar, the local fans, and literally everyone involved in making it an event to remember for my entire lifetime. Above all, here´s an expression of gratitude to the Almighty who granted me good health so that I was able to thoroughly enjoy all the action. Looking forward now, firstly, to the ODI World Cup in October next year, and then the Euro 2024, which is actually going to be held in Germany itself.

Also, I know that I´m going to sound very harsh, very, very harsh, but, as good as he was in the Semi-Final, Lloris didn´t deliver a good performance in the Final. At least three of the penalties shot at him, including two in the Shoot-out, were pretty stoppable. He should´ve been able to stop at least one in the whole match, in my opinion. But again, the French team sleepwalked most of the match anyway!

Absolutely agree. Messi and Mbappe matched each other across the 120 minutes in terms of brilliance and impact, but Martinez far outperformed Lloris in the crucial moments.

He even got a hand to 2 of the 3 penalties Mbappe took, could've easily saved them on another day.

Absolutely agree. Messi and Mbappe matched each other across the 120 minutes in terms of brilliance and impact, but Martinez far outperformed Lloris in the crucial moments.

He even got a hand to 2 of the 3 penalties Mbappe took, could've easily saved them on another day.

Martinez should get a knighthood or whatever the Argentina equivalent is

Thought he was average against Saudi in the first game but since then he stepped up in the big moments

That save against Kuol (future Newcastle superstar hopefully) right at the end, the shootout against Netherlands, that save against Muani at the death to save the match and then the shoot out again.

Messi is brilliant and rightly the goat but if it wasn't for Martinez he wouldn't have Copa America or the World Cup, having team mates that step up in crucial moments is huge.

On the World Cup, that's the best World Cup I have watched and it's easily the best final I have watched, arguably the best ever final.

It was fitting that the goat lifted the World Cup trophy, would have been a travesty if he didn't have a World Cup winners medal to his name.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Argentina squad return home ahead of their victory parade celebrating their World Cup success ������<a href="https://t.co/LLR3XaPRSv">pic.twitter.com/LLR3XaPRSv</a></p>— Sky Sports (@SkySports) <a href="https://twitter.com/SkySports/status/1605102162387820544?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 20, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

After taking the World Cup crown, Argentina returned home to Buenos Aires on Tuesday with the country declaring the day of celebration as a national holiday.

Thousands of fans lined up in the middle of the night to try to get a glimpse of the Argentina football team that won one of the greatest World Cup finals ahead of what is scheduled to be a day of celebrations.

The game saw Lionel Messi and the team win the biggest prize in football - a call for victory for the people of the country.

Messi stepped off the plane holding the golden trophy, followed by his team, as they were greeted by fans, reporters and a live band.

The players were welcomed by rock band La Mosca singing "Muchachos," a song that became a popular unofficial anthem for Argentine fans at the World Cup in Qatar.

The winners will first spend the night at the Argentine Football Association's training ground, according to state media agency Télam.

"The world champion squad will leave on Tuesday at noon for the Obelisk to celebrate the world title with the fans," the Argentine Football Association (AFA) said on its official Twitter account.

Swarms of supporters came dressed in national colours as the atmosphere roared with excitement and cheer.

Many were seen camped out at the training site on Monday ahead of the team's arrival.

The champions boarded an open-top bus, with several of the players seen singing along to the words "Muchachos".

The bus moved slowly as crowds waved Argentine flags and gathered around the bus - eager to see the players.

Throughout the bus ride, Messi held on to the World Cup as the team waved to fans.

SKY

Sheikh Lion Al-Messi.... :))

Sheikh Lion Al-Messi.jpg

Congratulations to Argentina.

As a layman - I didn't want France (or any other such team) full of African imports to win. That would be a second hand victory.

Each of the players of African descent were born in France.

Argentina's World Cup winners had to abandon an open-top bus parade in Buenos Aires and instead took a helicopter ride over the millions of ecstatic fans partying in the streets.

The squad showed off the trophy at the start of a planned eight-hour journey.

But the celebrations on packed roads became more chaotic, forcing a rethink.

"It was impossible to continue on the ground due to the explosion of joy," tweeted presidential spokeswoman Gabriela Cerruti.

Social media videos appeared to show fans jumping onto the top deck of the bus carrying the players at one point when it passed underneath a bridge, with one fan falling off.

Lionel Messi ended his long wait for a World Cup as Argentina defeated France in the FIFA 2022 final to end a 36-year drought. Messi was in top form in the summit clash and scored three goals to help Argentina lift their third title. Meanwhile, Messi survived a close shave when a cable wire nearly knocked him down during a open bus parade to celebrate Argentina’s win in the FIFA World Cup 2022.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/7nhei8" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

World Cup 2022: Fifa investigating Salt Bae's 'undue access' to pitch after final

Fifa is investigating how celebrity chef Salt Bae and a number of other people gained "undue access" to the pitch at the end of the World Cup final in Qatar.

Salt Bae, the Turkish chef whose real name is Nusret Gokce, was pictured holding and kissing the World Cup trophy while celebrating with Argentina players after their win over France.

Fifa rules state the trophy can only be held by a "very select" group of people, including tournament winners, Fifa officials and heads of state.

In a statement to BBC Sport, a Fifa spokesperson said: "Following a review, Fifa has been establishing how individuals gained undue access to the pitch after the closing ceremony at Lusail stadium on 18 December.

"The appropriate internal action will be taken."

Salt Bae owns a chain of luxury steakhouses and rose to fame in 2017 after his technique for preparing and seasoning meat became an internet meme.

Many current and former footballers, including Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and David Beckham, have eaten at Salt Bae's restaurants.

In November, during the World Cup, he posted a video of himself embracing Fifa president Gianni Infantino, with whom he was later pictured in the VIP seats at a game with Brazil legends Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos and Cafu.

Messi appeared to ignore Salt Bae in the hectic scenes after Argentina's win as the chef tried to get his attention.

BBC

French Sports Minister Amelie Oudea-Castera on Friday accused Argentine players of being “inelegant winners” and “vulgar” for mocking her country’s star Kylian Mbappe after winning the World Cup final.

“As much as our French team knew how to lose with panache, so the manner in which this Argentine team acted after this victory was not worthy of the match we saw”, the minister told French radio station RTL.

Oudea-Castera singled out goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez, who was seen in the victory parade in Buenos Aires holding a baby doll its face covered with a photo of French star Mbappe.

Immediately after the match had been heard in the Argentina changing room demanding: “A minute of silence… for Mbappe.”

Mbappe scored a hat-trick as France twice fought back to take the game to a shootout and then beat Martinez with the opening kick.

“I find it pitiful,” said Oudea-Castera. “It’s just vulgar, inappropriate, really not up to the occasion,” she said.

“This Emiliano Martinez is not distinguishing himself. It is rather pathetic”.

The minister said she was pleased that the president of the French Football Federation (FFF) Noel Le Graet had written to his Argentine counterpart to complain of “abnormal excesses “in the celebrations.

The FFF has also said it intends to file complaints against French fans who posted racist comments on social media after Kingsley Coman and Aurelien Tchouameni missed in the shootout and Kolo Muani squandered a chance late in extra time.

DAWN

French Sports Minister Amelie Oudea-Castera on Friday accused Argentine players of being “inelegant winners” and “vulgar” for mocking her country’s star Kylian Mbappe after winning the World Cup final.

“As much as our French team knew how to lose with panache, so the manner in which this Argentine team acted after this victory was not worthy of the match we saw”, the minister told French radio station RTL.

Oudea-Castera singled out goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez, who was seen in the victory parade in Buenos Aires holding a baby doll its face covered with a photo of French star Mbappe.

Immediately after the match had been heard in the Argentina changing room demanding: “A minute of silence… for Mbappe.”

Mbappe scored a hat-trick as France twice fought back to take the game to a shootout and then beat Martinez with the opening kick.

“I find it pitiful,” said Oudea-Castera. “It’s just vulgar, inappropriate, really not up to the occasion,” she said.

“This Emiliano Martinez is not distinguishing himself. It is rather pathetic”.

The minister said she was pleased that the president of the French Football Federation (FFF) Noel Le Graet had written to his Argentine counterpart to complain of “abnormal excesses “in the celebrations.

The FFF has also said it intends to file complaints against French fans who posted racist comments on social media after Kingsley Coman and Aurelien Tchouameni missed in the shootout and Kolo Muani squandered a chance late in extra time.

DAWN

Why is this French minister whining? These are just banters.

Seems like a sore loser who can't accept a defeat. I think she should just stick to women's football.

The FIFA World Cup final between France and Argentina ended with the South Americans beating the defending champions 4-2 on penalties. While Argentina were better than the French for the most part of the game, Kylian Mbappe's hat-trick turned the match into a spectacle, with the penalty shootout eventually being the deciding factor. After Argentina lifted the trophy, a controversy, however, struck as claims of Lionel Messi's second goal (in the extra-time) being illegitimate emerged. The FIFA World Cup final referee, however, has now broken his silence on the matter.

Leading French publication L'Equipe had run an article: "Why Argentina's third goal shouldn't have been awarded". In the article, it wrote, “An additional person was on the pitch at the time the goal was scored: the referee must disallow the goal if the extra person was: a player, substitute, substituted player, sent off player or official of the team who scored the goal; play must be restarted with a direct free kick from the place where the extra person was.”

Speaking to the media, the Polish referee Szymon Marciniak suggested that while French publications went gaga over Argentina substitutes entering the field before the goal was given, they didn't mention anything about French substitutes doing the same for one of Mbappe's goals in the match.

"The French didn't mention this photo, where you can see how there are seven Frenchmen on the pitch when Mbappé scores a goal," he told Polish media, as suggested by Express UK.

In a press conference, Marcinak held his phone up and showed a picture where some French subs could be seen stepping into the playing field right before one of Mbappe's goals.

The referee, however, did admit that he made one mistake in the final.

"Of course, there were mistakes in this final. I interrupted the French counter-attack after a bad tackle by Marcos Acuna," he told Sport.

"I was afraid that the fouled player wanted to unwind, and I read it wrong because nothing happened, and you could give an advantage and then come back with a card. It's hard. In a game like this, I take such a mistake in the dark. The important thing is that there were no big mistakes," he added.

NDTV

The FIFA World Cup final between France and Argentina ended with the South Americans beating the defending champions 4-2 on penalties. While Argentina were better than the French for the most part of the game, Kylian Mbappe's hat-trick turned the match into a spectacle, with the penalty shootout eventually being the deciding factor. After Argentina lifted the trophy, a controversy, however, struck as claims of Lionel Messi's second goal (in the extra-time) being illegitimate emerged. The FIFA World Cup final referee, however, has now broken his silence on the matter.

Leading French publication L'Equipe had run an article: "Why Argentina's third goal shouldn't have been awarded". In the article, it wrote, “An additional person was on the pitch at the time the goal was scored: the referee must disallow the goal if the extra person was: a player, substitute, substituted player, sent off player or official of the team who scored the goal; play must be restarted with a direct free kick from the place where the extra person was.”

Speaking to the media, the Polish referee Szymon Marciniak suggested that while French publications went gaga over Argentina substitutes entering the field before the goal was given, they didn't mention anything about French substitutes doing the same for one of Mbappe's goals in the match.

"The French didn't mention this photo, where you can see how there are seven Frenchmen on the pitch when Mbappé scores a goal," he told Polish media, as suggested by Express UK.

In a press conference, Marcinak held his phone up and showed a picture where some French subs could be seen stepping into the playing field right before one of Mbappe's goals.

The referee, however, did admit that he made one mistake in the final.

"Of course, there were mistakes in this final. I interrupted the French counter-attack after a bad tackle by Marcos Acuna," he told Sport.

"I was afraid that the fouled player wanted to unwind, and I read it wrong because nothing happened, and you could give an advantage and then come back with a card. It's hard. In a game like this, I take such a mistake in the dark. The important thing is that there were no big mistakes," he added.

NDTV

French supporters are being whiny.

World Cup is over. Everyone has to move on. Bad referee decisions can happen in any sport.

France goalkeeper Hugo Lloris has announced his retirement from international football aged 36.

The Tottenham captain's decision comes three weeks after France were beaten by Argentina on penalties in the 2022 World Cup final on 18 December.

Lloris had captained his country to World Cup victory four years earlier when they won the 2018 tournament.

"I've decided to stop my international career, with the feeling that I have given everything," said Lloris.

Speaking to French publication L'Equipe, he added: "I think it is important to announce this now, two-and-a-half months before the start of Euro qualifying."

BBC

World Cup winners Argentina are to face disciplinary proceedings for "offensive behaviour" and "fair play violations" committed during the final in Qatar, Fifa has announced.

==

Argentina beat France on penalties after a dramatic 3-3 draw at Lusail Stadium in Qatar in December. Goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez saved a penalty from Kingsley Coman in the shoot-out, while Aurelien Tchouameni was also off-target after being distracted by the Aston Villa stopper.

The tense game had a number of flashpoints both before and after the penalties, with Martinez also attracting criticism for his antics after the victory. Now, nearly a month on from Argentina's victory, further punishment could be on the way.

"The FIFA Disciplinary Committee has opened proceedings against the Argentinian Football Association due to potential breaches of articles 11 (Offensive behaviour and violations of the principles of fair play) and 12 (Misconduct of players and officials) of the FIFA Disciplinary Code, as well as of article 44 of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ Regulations in conjunction with the Media and Marketing Regulations for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™, during the Argentina v. France FIFA World Cup™ final," a statement from FIFA reads.

Argentina are not the only national FA in trouble, according to the latest disciplinary update from the governing body. Proceedings have also been opened against the Croatian FA after what FIFA terms: "potential breaches of articles 13 (Discrimination) and 16 (Order and security at matches) of the FIFA Disciplinary Code during the Croatia v. Morocco FIFA World Cup™ match". Croatia and Morocco drew in the group stage before meeting again in the third-place play-off.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/fif...sedgntp&cvid=ed02827ba05c4071b7e36f1a5cd23798

Last edited by a moderator:
World governing body Fifa is to stage a major competition in Saudi Arabia for the first time after the Middle Eastern state was selected as the host of the 2023 Fifa Club World Cup, which is scheduled to take place from December 12 to 22.

World governing body Fifa is to stage a major competition in Saudi Arabia for the first time after the Middle Eastern state was selected as the host of the 2023 Fifa Club World Cup, which is scheduled to take place from December 12 to 22.

If FIFA keep cozying up to these repressive states, UEFA are going to rethink their relationship with the world body.

I can see football fragmenting over this.

If FIFA keep cozying up to these repressive states, UEFA are going to rethink their relationship with the world body.

I can see football fragmenting over this.

UEFA is nothing without the money from these 'repressive states'

UEFA is nothing without the money from these 'repressive states'

A generalisation and a distortion.

Some European teams (not UEFA) are bankrolled by rich individuals from said states, not the national governments.

Last edited:

Well done, FIFA.

It is time to host events in many different countries.

Qatar World Cup was a success and I hope this one will be successful too.

Back