"Arshad Nadeem has brought joy to our nation, and we'll try to do the same": Shan Masood

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Pakistan Test team captain Shan Masood during a press conference:

"Our red-ball season is about to start, with seven of the matches being played in Pakistan. I think it's been a long time since we've had the opportunity to play a series of test matches within 4-5 months. Among these, one includes a tour of South Africa. Additionally, the remaining 7 tests are against England, Bangladesh, and the West Indies, all of which will be home series. This presents an exciting opportunity for our Test team with plenty still to play for in the Test Championship.”

“The top two places are still up for grabs, so our aim will be to focus on utilizing the home advantage in these seven test matches. Every test match matters. We also have the chance to gain points and win the series in South Africa. This is a great opportunity for our Test team.”

“Recent appointments have been made, including Jason Gillespie and Tim Nielsen. It is an exciting for us to gain exposure and work with Gary Kirsten, Jason Gillespie and Tim Nielsen.”

"I think firstly, a lot of changes have happened. Ten months is quite a long time, and if we look at this entire period, it's unfortunate that Pakistan hasn't played any test cricket for ten months. But considering this, I think the players are almost the same; we are carrying forward the same players. So, I don't think the mindset will change much. If we look at the Sri Lanka series, which we won 2-0 in Sri Lanka last year, we had changed our mindset as a batting unit. Our bowlers performed really well, not just the spinners who took wickets there, but our fast bowlers also took wickets in Sri Lanka. So, in terms of the team core, I think it's almost the same. We have an exciting opportunity despite the changes and the gap of ten months without test cricket. The group of players is the same with a few additions to our squad. Our effort will be to play with the same mindset and approach.”

Q: Regarding England's cricket approach

Shan Masood: "The England team's concept is to implement the same approach from top to bottom. They want their domestic cricket to replicate the style of their international men's team. To achieve this, they've tried to impose certain changes, such as introducing four-day fixtures with the Kookaburra ball in English domestic cricket. Two such fixtures have already taken place, with two more to go. Let's see how their teams perform."

"If you look at our Yorkshire team, we have Harry Brook and Joe Root. Due to weather conditions, we plan to score quickly and save time to get the opposing team bowled out. Test cricket is the ultimate format, spanning five days, where situations arise that require surviving the new ball and sometimes playing for a draw. You may also face a challenging spell from a bowler, which you need to navigate."

Q: About Modern Test cricket and Intent:

Shan Masood: "When we talk about intent, we mean identifying phases and putting pressure on the opposition as a batting unit when the time is right. The same applies to bowling - there should be discipline, and when the opportunity arises to attack and take four-five wickets, we should capitalize on it. Test cricket is an evolving format, changing daily, and our expectation from players and each other is to adapt to the situation, stay positive, and focus on victory."

Q: About rumours of match fixing due to Pakistan's poor performance in ICC T20 World Cup 2024:

Shan Masood: "I'll never question a player's intentions. I don't think there's anyone in the current Pakistan cricket setup who would even hint at match-fixing. I won't agree with that. Secondly, you can't mix different formats. The ICC T20 World Cup 2024 is over, and now we need to focus on Test cricket. We played good cricket in the last series but couldn't win, and eventually, winning matters. Now we have a great opportunity to play our brand of cricket, which will help Pakistan win games."

Q: About Arshad Nadeem:
Shan Masood: "As for Arshad Nadeem, he's our national hero, and what he's achieved is beyond heroic. We're all proud of him. Representing Pakistan is a privilege, not a right. It's an honor to represent Pakistan in any sport, and in cricket, Pakistan is a top team globally. So, it's a privilege for us, and we have no right to take it for granted."

"Whoever represents Pakistan, I can guarantee their intention is to win matches for Pakistan. Winning and losing is part of the game, but what hurts us most is when our country doesn't win. Arshad Nadeem has brought joy to our nation, and we'll try to do the same."

Q: About team selection process:

Shan Masood: "The selection process involves a committee with members who discuss and debate over time. We started discussing this series since the ICC T20 World Cup 2024 began, and I appreciate the PCB's initiative to plan ahead. When the team management meets, we discuss and reach a unanimous consensus. Sometimes, we prioritize certain players, and based on my experience in selecting teams, I've tried to choose what's best for Pakistan."

"We've received ample facilitation from the PCB and selection board. Now, considering Bangladesh's conditions, player form, and our ability to experiment, we can't select a 17-member squad; we need to identify 25-30 players. Cricket has players in their 30s and young players, and we need to see who can serve Pakistan best and for how long. Sometimes we need experienced players in emergencies, and sometimes we get the chance to groom young players. We've considered all aspects to build a strong squad."

"No squad is perfect; mistakes happen, but we'll try to select players according to Pakistan's requirements."

Q: About fitness of players and challenges in upcoming Test series:

Shan Masood: "Test cricket is the most challenging format, both mentally and physically. It's a five-day game, and every day feels like a repetition. Additionally, with nine Test matches, there's traveling, training, and practice involved, which affects your body and mind significantly. That's why experience is crucial in learning to cope with it."

"We're fortunate to have seven Test matches in Pakistan. We earned rewards from our previous matches last year, including three against England, two against New Zealand, and three against Australia. Saud Shakeel emerged and scored runs, Salman Ali Agha performed well in domestic cricket and scored runs, and Abrar Ahmed took many wickets and played against England. We have the advantage of home conditions, and the players will be familiar with the environment. Insha'Allah, the cricketing elements will fall into place; we just need to stay mentally and physically strong. I hope our coaching staff will teach our youngsters to handle mental and physical pressure, and they'll learn quickly, Insha'Allah."

Q: About foreign coaches and communication gap:

Shan Masood: "We've all spent time in different dressing rooms, and foreign coaches have come and gone, like Mickey Arthur, who came twice. Various foreign assistant coaches have also joined us, and even our support staff, like physios, are foreigners. Players have learned a lot over the years, playing in different leagues, and some have even played club cricket in England in the past. So, I think the communication gap has largely been bridged."

"In fact, in the PSL, we have foreign coaches and local coaches, as well as players, who ensure that there's no communication gap, because ultimately, what's decided in the dressing room is what gets implemented on the field."

Last edited:
I think he was talking in the context of all upcoming games. It is like 9 tests in the next few months. But yeah, it is funny if he will smash Bangladesh and think that Pakistan's achievement is in the same league as Arshad Nadeem.
even if they win all 9 matches (which will never happen) it will not be even 1% of what Arshad Nadeem has achieved. The cricket team should not mention his performance and try to compare. They are minnow level.

It was a good presser from Shan. Despite his limited cricket abilities he is way more intelligent than Babar. He might even eke out 2-3 fifty’s against Bang.

If you want to be on the level of Arshad Nadeem, Become like Classic Australia of the 90's and early 2000's

Representing Pakistan is a privilege, not a right. It's an honor to represent Pakistan in any sport, and in cricket, Pakistan is a top team globally. So, it's a privilege for us, and we have no right to take it for granted."

This is a great qoute.

Something i always say to Amir fans, when they try to downplay his fixing.

I am impressed with Shan's skills in addressing the media, I hope to see him as a big gun in PCB management in the near future.

Representing Pakistan is a privilege, not a right. It's an honor to represent Pakistan in any sport, and in cricket, Pakistan is a top team globally. So, it's a privilege for us, and we have no right to take it for granted."

This is a great qoute.

Something i always say to Amir fans, when they try to downplay his fixing.
Shan masood can talk well in the media. Alot better and more professional then Babar atleast.

It's why education and communication skills goes a long way, however he will always be a nepo baby, And hence his words will always come off a bit hypocritical when he talks about merit, hard work and the right to represent.

Shan masood can talk well in the media. Alot better and more professional then Babar atleast.

It's why education and communication skills goes a long way, however he will always be a nepo baby, And hence his words will always come off a bit hypocritical when he talks about merit, hard work and the right to represent.
He may be safarishi, but he is representing Pakistan with a positive attitude, and he is getting recognition, especially in England.

He may be safarishi, but he is representing Pakistan with a positive attitude, and he is getting recognition, especially in England.
Yes because the British like Educated people with solid linguistics and language.

You could send me to captain by this logic.

I'd give excellent speeches and would put Pakistan on team trending daily.

Doesn't mean I'll be a good cricketer.

While speaking on his YouTube channel, Former Pakistan cricketer Basit Ali said:

"Shan Masood sahab, stop playing at No. 3. When I saw you for the first time, I gave you the advice that the bat's length should be long. Today, I am giving you the advice to stop playing at No. 3. You should open the batting in all three formats. If you come at No. 3, you will harm yourself and Pakistan."

"He gave an example of Yorkshire in his press conference. He spoke about how rain is a factor there, and Joe Root and Harry Brook are also part of that team. I just want to say two things to Shan Masood. You are the captain of Pakistan, not Yorkshire."

"Do not give their example; give examples of players of your country. Speak about how you have players like Babar Azam, Mohammad Rizwan, Abdullah Shafique, Saud Shakeel, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Shaheen Afridi, and Naseem Shah. Give your example. Don't give the example of the Kookaburra ball because there is a big difference in our pitches and their (England's) pitches."

I got Shan Masood out stumped in the lboro nets while he prepped for a MCC game, nobody talks about this though, they just focus on the excellent English.

Shan has spoken well and wears his heart on his sleeve and I wish him and team PK the best for the upcoming Test season.

These 9 Tests will define his future as captain and player so he and dizzy need to select wisely and rotate players when necessary.

The BD series will allow this team to implement their style and strategy with the bigger series ahead.

If Shan Masood can get his team to win majority of these Test matches then it will be big jump from whatever mess we have had in our home series in the past couple of years

While speaking on his YouTube channel, Former Pakistan cricketer Basit Ali said:

"Shan Masood sahab, stop playing at No. 3. When I saw you for the first time, I gave you the advice that the bat's length should be long. Today, I am giving you the advice to stop playing at No. 3. You should open the batting in all three formats. If you come at No. 3, you will harm yourself and Pakistan."

"He gave an example of Yorkshire in his press conference. He spoke about how rain is a factor there, and Joe Root and Harry Brook are also part of that team. I just want to say two things to Shan Masood. You are the captain of Pakistan, not Yorkshire."

"Do not give their example; give examples of players of your country. Speak about how you have players like Babar Azam, Mohammad Rizwan, Abdullah Shafique, Saud Shakeel, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Shaheen Afridi, and Naseem Shah. Give your example. Don't give the example of the Kookaburra ball because there is a big difference in our pitches and their (England's) pitches."
I don't agree with Basit Ali. Shan should continue to bat at #3 because he doesn't seem comfortable with the new ball and his footwork becomes limited. So why not make full use of his abilities and let him play where he feels comfortable.

Even if PCT wins the WTC this cycle, it will still be a smaller achievement compared to an olympic gold

I don't agree with Basit Ali. Shan should continue to bat at #3 because he doesn't seem comfortable with the new ball and his footwork becomes limited. So why not make full use of his abilities and let him play where he feels comfortable.
Actually, Shan is a misfit in the team. He was made captain out of blue moon and now he is undroppable. I will actually drop this guy and play some other guy at 3.

Shan speaking in presser 1st Test presser

When asked about the upcoming series and recent Australia series:
“I think it's very important for a leader to lead by example, but I think we have to look at it as a team game. It's not an individual game, so what matters more is how we play as a team, how we respond as a team, and what our identity and blueprint as a team is. Secondly, yes, we can look at wins and losses, and we will raise our hands and say that we didn't win in Australia. However, there were a lot of things that we did right in Australia, and a lot of things that we want to take forward with us. Some mistakes we made cost us the Melbourne and Sydney test matches.”

“As a team, we will take something from that and move on. As far as Bangladesh is concerned, I think in the World Test Championship, there is no such thing as an easy opponent. Every opponent has strengths and presents challenges. Through focusing on what we can do better and what we did well, we can carry that forward and also look at what this Bangladesh team brings to this series and hopefully play some cricket that can result in two wins for us.”

“It's more about us at the end of the day. We have to look at ourselves and as a test team, as a test-playing nation. We have to be very flexible and adapt to different conditions while also looking at our strengths. In Rawalpindi, whenever we play domestic cricket, the conditions have favored the seamers and batters, and spin bowling hasn't been such a big threat. So, we want to take what we do in domestic cricket forward rather than apply something new which we don't normally get in Rawalpindi.”

"We have a different coaching staff, and they bring a different mindset and culture, but we also have to look at ourselves and where we want to go. I feel that fast bowling has been Pakistan's strength. If you look at our squad, yes, we lost Aamer Jamal right now, but hopefully, he will be back very soon. We have six quality fast bowlers, and in test cricket, you need 20 wickets to win the game, and that's non-negotiable. So, our focus is how we can get to 20 wickets. That's how we went into the Australian series, and hopefully, that's how we will go into the next series. The first focus should be how we can get 20 wickets and how can the batters back up the bowlers so that getting those 20 wickets turns into two wins.”

When asked about selected squad:
“There are many things involved if you look at it from an isolation or one-match perspective. You might say, why didn't that batter play ahead or why didn't that particular bowler play? There are two or three things to consider here. One is the context of the World Test Championship at this time and Pakistan's position; we need to win our home matches. Then you look at the conditions of the ground to see what type of conditions suit us. The third thing is the team's structure and combination. Like we thought Aamer Jamal was a great weapon for us in Australia. When the other three fast bowlers were bowling in a disciplined manner, Aamer Jamal would attack, taking some crucial middle wickets. And the best part was that he nullified Australia's tail, which always scores 80-90 runs, making a difference in the match. We thought when Shaheen Afridi and Naseem Shan are taking the new ball, who could be the bowler to bowl in the same manner as Aamer Jamal did. I think in this way, Mohammad Ali has been a surprise element for all of us in the PSL. We have seen him do this for quite some time, that he comes and hits the deck hard, he has the quality to move the ball off the seam in the air, and he has an extra pace too. Not saying one bowler is better than the other, we're saying that under those conditions.”

“Looking at our opening, we have plenty of riches. Unfortunately, Imam-ul-Haq isn't in this series, but he is part of this team always. We don't just keep 17 players; we have 20-25 players who are part of the squad and will remain so. Sometimes we have to see that in this series, we felt that this is an ideal chance to see Mohammad Huraira, bring him into the squad, and see what he can do. What can Muhammad Huraira, who has consistently scored runs in domestic cricket for the last three to four years, offer to the Pakistan team? So we said let's rest Imam-ul-Haq in this series.”

“In the case of Saim Ayub, look, whoever played the last test match showed potential in the second innings. As a team you have to give a message about continuity, who played the last test match and showed good form, our effort is to back players. Whenever we bring someone into the team, give them a chance, a fair go so that when they play, they get at least a fair opportunity. And we are trying to implement this with Saim Ayub, and he's in good touch.”

When asked about the fan’s reaction and World Test Championship:
“First of all, you want your fans and media to write good things about the team. That is why I think one of our focuses is to play cricket that everyone enjoys watching. Obviously, you have to have results in mind. For us, we have to look at our position in the World Test Championship. It was 6 and 7 before, and we would like to play the final this time. If we want to play in the final, we have to win home test matches, and if we have to win those, we have to take 20 wickets consistently and as a batting unit score runs and give enough time to the bowlers to take those 20 wickets. I feel that it's about playing good cricket, exciting cricket. We all want test cricket to be fun and enjoyable, both for the fans but also for us. We want to be excited about it and bring the same enthusiasm and entertainment like we would in any kind of format. So, our challenge is to get the results but also play a brand of cricket that is consistent and exciting to watch for everyone.”

When asked about the Bangladesh Team:
“They have got experience in terms of the batting. They have got one of my personal favorites, Litton Das. They have got Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim, so they have got a lot of experience. In test cricket, experience is something that helps you a lot. They have got a young bowling attack and have got good players coming up. If you look at one of the test matches in Sri Lanka, that was a pitch that was favorable for pacers, and they held on to their chances in the first innings and restricted Sri Lanka to the lowest 1st inning score. I think they have quality. It is a side that is heading in the right direction.”

When asked about the team environment:
“The biggest focus for us as players, which Jason Gillespie also follows and every player should follow, is that everything starts in the dressing room. The environment in the dressing room is crucial because most of the time spent off the field is spent in the dressing room. Whatever we set inside should reflect outside. Our effort is to keep the environment good so that every player feels that way. In this, we discussed continuity. When you give chances to players, there should be an effort to not necessarily make changes every time. We are not perfect; mistakes will happen from our side, and there will be some errors in selection too. But the effort is to give continuity to players and create a dressing room environment such that when players come, they enjoy cricket and bring joy to our fans, our media, and all our stakeholders in cricket.

:hasan2

fTOUEFW.png

There is no joy, Pak cricket is finished.

Yeah

The odds as of today:
For Pakistan to win: 1.09
For Bangladesh to win: 8.00

I don't know how the bookies can be so confident of Pakistan considering our recent form haha

Yeah

The odds as of today:
For Pakistan to win: 1.09
For Bangladesh to win: 8.00

I don't know how the bookies can be so confident of Pakistan considering our recent form haha
Theirs no way pakistan can lose to Bangladesh. If they do then RIP.

But this is home turf against the weakest full member team( and no I no longer consider Zim a full member even if their considered to be)

What joy did he bring when he got out for another single figure of his career? Scored just 6 today aginst Bangladesh.
It was a controversial decision but still.

IYfkry9.png

What joy did he bring when he got out for another single figure of his career? Scored just 6 today aginst Bangladesh.
It was a controversial decision but still.

IYfkry9.png

🤣🤣

Why was this controversial?

He’s just bad mate.

Arshad stay away from these cake eating goons (theyr probably cutting one as we speak for taking the match into day5)

Arshad Nadeem is milking his fluke achievement like a spring goat. The milking doesn’t seem to stop. Only thing left now is naming him the PM of the country.

We certainly don’t want a failure like Masood to have some fluke success that he ends up milking for years.

Arshad Nadeem is milking his fluke achievement like a spring goat. The milking doesn’t seem to stop. Only thing left now is naming him the PM of the country.

We certainly don’t want a failure like Masood to have some fluke success that he ends up milking for years.

Arshad crossed the 90 mark twice.

And his 88 was a second position one aswell.

Fluke? Winning an Olympic gold?

Last edited by a moderator:

He threw twice over 90m and he was in medal contention even before competetion started. It's pretty much impossible to win any medal in olympic in javelin by fluke, let alone winning a gold.

Back to your attention seeking ways, that’s entire Javelin game is easily Pakistan’s greatest sporting achievement in 3 decades.

Arshad crossed the 90 mark twice.

And his 88 was a second position one aswell.
Fluke? Winning an Olympic gold?
Back to your attention seeking ways, that’s entire Javelin game is easily Pakistan’s greatest sporting achievement in 3 decades.
It is funny how no one in Pakistan gave a damn about him and javelin throwing but they have all become fans and experts in javelin throwing now.

The same people who did nothing to support him previously are now sitting on their high horse and claiming that the government did nothing to support him earlier. Why blame the government when you yourself did nothing?

As far as biggest sporting achievement is concerned, please pipe it down. Arshad did not do any favors on the country. His achievement belongs to him and it has nothing to do with Pakistan.

Linking the success, or failure of individual sporting athletes with the country is completely dumb and this is why Olympics is just stupid.

Individual sports can never have more significance than team sports as far national representation is concerned.

Pakistan’s greatest sporting achievements belong to their cricket and hockey teams, not individual success in squash and now javelin that belong to that individual only.

Olympics is a scam. We have been duped into thinking that winning an Olympic medal is a matter of national pride but it is not.

It is just a giant money making exercise and the athletes don’t even get prize money from the Olympic committee because they want to pocket everything. It is a corrupt, money making venture used to exploit athletes under the guise of national pride.

As far as fluke is concerned, Arshad has been outclassed by that Indian guy every single time except this time so he definitely got lucky and it was his day.

Anyway, it is Arshad’s own success and not a matter of pride for Pakistan. I don’t feel sorry for him not getting support previously and I’m not happy with all the money and rewards that he has been getting in the last month. He has received more than what he deserves and I don’t blame him for milking it but it has to end at some point and I hope we have reached that point.

It is funny how no one in Pakistan gave a damn about him and javelin throwing but they have all become fans and experts in javelin throwing now.

The same people who did nothing to support him previously are now sitting on their high horse and claiming that the government did nothing to support him earlier. Why blame the government when you yourself did nothing?

As far as biggest sporting achievement is concerned, please pipe it down. Arshad did not do any favors on the country. His achievement belongs to him and it has nothing to do with Pakistan.

Linking the success, or failure of individual sporting athletes with the country is completely dumb and this is why Olympics is just stupid.

Individual sports can never have more significance than team sports as far national representation is concerned.

Pakistan’s greatest sporting achievements belong to their cricket and hockey teams, not individual success in squash and now javelin that belong to that individual only.

Olympics is a scam. We have been duped into thinking that winning an Olympic medal is a matter of national pride but it is not.

It is just a giant money making exercise and the athletes don’t even get prize money from the Olympic committee because they want to pocket everything. It is a corrupt, money making venture used to exploit athletes under the guise of national pride.

As far as fluke is concerned, Arshad has been outclassed by that Indian guy every single time except this time so he definitely got lucky and it was his day.

Anyway, it is Arshad’s own success and not a matter of pride for Pakistan. I don’t feel sorry for him not getting support previously and I’m not happy with all the money and rewards that he has been getting in the last month. He has received more than what he deserves and I don’t blame him for milking it but it has to end at some point and I hope we have reached that point.
Arshad crossed 90m twice in the same night. Forget the indian.

Arshad broke the Olympic record twice in the same night. You are gonna call that a fluke?

Arshad broke the Commonwealth record in 2022 aswell which was above 90m.

Niraj is yet to cross 90.

Again how can it be a fluke when you do it twice in the same night.

Back