Asia Cup 2023: Sri Lanka overcome spirited Afghanistan chase to reach Super Fours

Heart breaking for Afghans, I was rooting for them.

Herculean effort though. ❤️

Afghanistan Falls Short: Sri Lanka Through to Super Fours!

In what can only be described as one of the most bizarre and nail-biting finishes of recent times, Sri Lanka triumphed over Afghanistan by a slender margin of 2 runs, securing their place in the Super Fours. The sheer drama that unfolded will be etched in the memories of cricket fans for years to come.

The game took a thrilling turn as Afghanistan required 15 runs from the final 7 balls. Step up Rashid Khan, who brought out his explosive best to nearly take Afghanistan over the line. Every boundary he hit was met with roaring cheers, but alas, it wasn't Afghanistan's day.

Sri Lanka's Dhananjaya de Silva showcased immense composure during the game's defining moments. The crucial wicket of Fazalhaq Farooqi in the penultimate over ensured Sri Lanka's advancement in the tournament. That LBW decision was as decisive as any, highlighting the thin margins in the sport.

Fielding, often termed as the game's third dimension, was on full display. Nissanka’s splendid catch to dismiss the dangerous Najibullah was nothing short of match-defining. Moments like these underscore the importance of agility and sharp reflexes.

However, the game's pivotal moment was arguably Mujeeb's dismissal in the 37th over. The ball, safely landing in Samarawickrama's hands, was a turning point, bringing palpable tension to the stadium.

While Sri Lanka celebrates their escape to the Super Fours, Afghanistan, despite their heartbreak, has showcased their mettle on the global stage. They've won hearts, if not the match, proving that in cricket, it's not always about the final result but the spirit with which the game is played.

Last edited by a moderator:
Similar thing happened in IPL involving Mumbai Indians and their management were aware.

The pitches in Lahore have been very disappointing.Feel sorry for fast and spin bowlers.

How the hell did Mujeeb score a rapid fifty against Pakistan? The man cannot hold the bat properly. He bats like Bumrah.
Afg already lost the match..Pak players started relaxing and mujib took advantage of wayward bowling with no pressure of winning

Wanted Afghanistan to win, but oh well Afghanistan's support staff and coaches have alot of explaining to do.

Afg already lost the match..Pak players started relaxing and mujib took advantage of wayward bowling with no pressure of winning
If I remember currectly he spanked Faheem & Nawaz mostly, the two jobbers of your side. He is way way worse than Bumrah.

That was one of the craziest endings to a match I've seen! Commies saying AFG need a 6 to go through and then in disbelief as Farooqi blocks a full toss :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Once again Rashid & Mujib were tonked around the park, thus proving Pak have unnecessarily hyped them to the moon with their embarrassing scared over the top defensive approach. I am sure Indians would also take them apart. They are decent, but everytime Pak makes them equivalent of Warne Murali,they are not that special. They don't have the game to comeback whenever they are attacked. Pak should realize this & treat them as such in the world cup.
I hope Trott & his staff gets some sort of punishment for the blunder. Afgans need to find some proper fast bowlers, these loudmouth trundlers will only cause them humiliation time & again. I am surprised, they had someone like Hamid Hasan in their system who had all the ingredients of a great fast bowler.

Back