Atletico Madrid: Luis Suarez signs from Barcelona on two-year deal [Post#10]

Haroon786

Test Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Barcelona forward Luis Suarez has agreed a new contract with the Spanish champions that includes a £167.5m buyout clause.

The former Liverpool player has scored 97 goals and won eight trophies since moving to the Nou Camp in July 2014 for £75m.

A Barca statement said the contract, which ties the 29-year-old Uruguay international to the club until 2021, would be signed on Friday.

He scored 40 league goals last season.

The South American trio of Suarez, Messi - Barca's all-time top scorer - and Neymar scored a combined 131 goals in all competitions as they won La Liga and the Copa del Rey.

Argentina international Messi, 29, is contracted to Barcelona until June 2018 but has started talks about a new contract.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38333326

Last edited by a moderator:
He's now at his dream club so can't see why he'd ever want to play elsewhere. This clause more or less also makes him unbuyable as well. We can now dismiss Man Utd ever making an offer for him as suggested by some sources a few weeks back. Don't see him ever playing for any other side other then Liverpool if he were to ever return to English Football. Perhaps he will do that at the twilight of his career.

Luis Suarez has flown to Italy as he continues his efforts to become an Italian citizen and potentially join Juventus.

Luis Suarez: Italian police investigating irregularities around striker's citizenship test

Italian financial police and the Perugia public prosecutor's office have opened an investigation into allegations of irregularities regarding Luis Suarez's Italian citizenship exam last week.

Suarez flew into Perugia to take the test amid reports he was set to join Juventus from Barcelona.

In order to complete the move, the 33-year-old Uruguayan would have needed to have acquired Italian citizenship as Juventus have no available space in their squad for non-EU players.

However, it is alleged that Suarez was aware of the contents of the exam before taking it, and that his score was pre-assigned.

A statement from the Perugia public prosecutor's office said: "Some irregularities have emerged in the exam of certification of Italian, sat on September 17 by Uruguayan football player Luis Alberto Suarez Diaz, needed to obtain the Italian citizenship.

"From the investigation, it emerged that the topics in the exam had been agreed in advance with the applicant and that the relative mark had been attributed even before carrying out the exam, regardless of the fact that an elementary proficiency of the Italian language had been verified during remote classes carried out by lecturers of the University for Foreigners.

"Today, the Italian financial police are moving forward to capture the documents at the university offices, to verify the actions described beforehand and notify the information assurances for the crimes of revelation of professional secrecy, false representation committed by public officials in official documents and other."

The University for Foreigners of Perugia denies any wrongdoing, saying in a statement: "In relation to the ongoing investigation, the University for Foreigners of Perugia reiterates the correctness and transparency of the procedures followed for the exam sat by the football player Luis Suarez and trusts that this will emerge with clarity at the end of the inspections underway."

Suarez's move to Juventus appears to have fallen through, with the Italian champions now set to re-sign Alvaro Morata from Atletico Madrd.

Morata is likely to be replaced at Atletico by Suarez, who has been told be can leave Barcelona.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...regularities-around-strikers-citizenship-test

He’s off to Madrid for 4m euros and will earn half of the 30m euros a year he was on at Barca.

==
Barcelona have agreed to let striker Luis Suarez join La Liga rivals Atletico Madrid.

Suarez is not wanted at Barca and the Catalans were happy to release him for free, providing he did not join certain other top clubs.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Uruguayan agreed terms on a reduced salary with Atletico after a move to Juventus fell through because of passport issues.

Barcelona chairman Josep Maria Bartomeu then blocked the deal because he did not wish to sell to a Spanish rival.

But, after meeting with Suarez's representatives, the Catalan club have backed down, with the striker threatening to air his grievances to the media.

Atletico will have to pay a nominal fee of no more than 4m euros for the 33-year-old, which will be based on variables such as Champions League qualification.

Suarez will earn half of the 30m euros a year he was on at Barca at Atletico.

The move ends Suarez's six-year career with Barca, during which he scored 198 goals in 283 appearances and formed one third of a feared front three with Lionel Messi and Neymar.

He joined the club for £74m from Liverpool in 2014 and helped them win four La Liga titles, four Copa del Reys and the Champions League and Club World Cup in 2015.

It also ends one of this summer's long-running transfer sagas, which looked likely to result in the player ending up in Turin - a move that was dashed, according to Juventus directors, because of the amount of time it would have taken to secure Suarez an Italian passport

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54259386

Last edited by a moderator:
Tearful Suarez expected Barcelona exit

An emotional Luis Suarez said he expected to leave Barcelona this transfer window, but believes he can still play at the top level after joining La Liga rivals Atletico Madrid.

The Uruguayan wiped away tears at a news conference on Thursday as he bade farewell after six years at Barca.

He scored 198 goals in 283 games to become the third highest goalscorer in the club's history.

"I leave with the feeling that I have fulfilled expectations," he said.

Suarez won four La Liga titles, four Copa del Reys, the Champions League and Club World Cup after joining Barca for £74m from Liverpool in 2014.

However, new Barca boss Ronald Koeman told Suarez last month that he was not in his plans.

"I expected it because it had been said already before the coach told me but I can accept it," added Suarez, who wiped away tears during his news conference. "Players sometimes need a change, the club needed a change and this case the coach didn't want me."

Atletico will pay a nominal fee of no more than 6m euros for the 33-year-old, which will be based on variables such as Champions League qualification.

Suarez has agreed terms on a two-year with a reduced salary, although he denies he has taken a step down.

"I feel I'm capable of continuing to compete in this league," he said.

"When Barca told me they weren't counting on me, there were many calls, many offers, but I was able to go to a team that can compete as equals with two great teams like Barcelona and Real Madrid. I had no doubts."

Suarez also denied reports from Spain suggesting his relationship with friend and strike partner Lionel Messi was no longer considered beneficial to the team.

"It's been a crazy month. Things have been invented, things that are not true that have been leaked and that annoy you but we have to try to stay away from all that," he said.

"Everyone knows the relationship I have with Leo. When you arrive at Barcelona they say to be careful with Leo and now after many years, Leo and I get along spectacularly and they say you are bad for him.

"We know the time we had in the team and that we tried to perform at our best and live up to what Barcelona is and in my case, I can leave feeling proud."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54283303

Lionel Messi says Luis Suarez deserved a better send-off from Barcelona but that he is "no longer surprised" by the club's behaviour.

Suarez has joined Atletico Madrid after being told he was not in new Barca boss Ronald Koeman's plans.

Earlier this month, Messi said he would stay at Barca despite wanting to leave because he felt he had no option.

He added that he felt he had been deceived by the club president Josep Maria Bartomeu.

In a post on Instagram, Messi paid tribute to Suarez, saying it will be "strange" to see him "with another shirt and much more to face you".

"You deserved a send-off matching who you are - one of the most important players in the club's history, achieving important things both as a group and individually.

"Not to get thrown out like you have been. But the truth is at this point nothing surprises me."

Uruguayan Suarez scored 198 goals in 283 games to become the third highest goalscorer in Barcelona's history.

The 33-year-old won four La Liga titles, four Copa del Reys, the Champions League and Club World Cup after joining the Catalan giants for £74m from Liverpool in 2014.

He has agreed terms on a two-year deal at Atletico with a reduced salary.

Atletico will pay a nominal fee of no more than 6m euros for Suarez, which will be based on variables such as Champions League qualification.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54291938

Atletico Madrid have completed the signing of striker Luis Suarez from La Liga rivals Barcelona.

The Uruguay international signed a two-year contract with the club on Friday after passing his medical.

The 33-year-old joined Barca from Liverpool in 2014, winning the Champions League title in his first season in Spain.

Suarez also helped Barca to four league titles, scoring 198 goals in 283 appearances for the club.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54300421

Luis Suarez scored twice and set up another on his Atletico Madrid debut against Granada despite only coming on in the 70th minute.

Atleti were 3-0 up through goals from Diego Costa, Angel Correa and Joao Felix when the signing from Barcelona came on.

He was only on the pitch for two minutes when he fed Marcos Llorente to score.

Suarez then headed in from a Llorente cross and scored Atleti's sixth.

That effort came from a rebound after his initial shot hit the post. Jorge Molina had scored for Granada in between Suarez's double.

Suarez, 33, completed his move on a two-year deal on Friday. He is Barcelona's third highest goalscorer ever with 198 goals in 283 appearances across six years.

He becomes the first Atletico Madrid debutant to score twice - and the first to score and assist on his La Liga debut for the club this century.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54318997

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Diego Costa was asked about his new partnership with Luis Suarez &#55357;&#56834; <a href="https://t.co/aa9JevSGFh">pic.twitter.com/aa9JevSGFh</a></p>— Amazon Prime Video Sport (@primevideosport) <a href="https://twitter.com/primevideosport/status/1310293923915587588?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

No kidding :))

Luis Suarez: Barcelona treatment made me cry before Atletico Madrid move

Luis Suarez says he cried over the way he was treated by Barcelona before leaving for Atletico Madrid.

The Uruguay forward ended a six-year spell at Barca in September and says he was stopped from training with the first team before his departure.

"Those days were very difficult. I cried because of what I was having to go through," said Suarez, 33.

"I was hurt most of all by the way they did things, because one has to accept it when a cycle comes to an end."

Suarez joined Barcelona from Liverpool for £74m in 2014 and became the Spanish giants' third all-time top scorer with 198 goals, winning four La Liga titles, four domestic cups and the 2015 Champions League in the process.

He netted 21 goals in 2019-20 - his lowest tally during the six years - and, after not being involved in Barca's pre-season matches, he left with one-year remaining on his contract.

Atletico paid a nominal fee of no more than 6m euros for Suarez.

"I didn't take the club's message that they were looking for a solution for me in order to mix things up very well," added Suarez, who has two goals in three games for Atletico.

"Not everyone knows what happened but the worst thing was going to training and being sent to a different group from everyone else because I was not allowed to play in practice matches.

"My wife could see how unhappy I was and she wanted to see me smile again and when the chance came to join Atletico I had no doubts."

Barcelona's record scorer Lionel Messi posted a message of support for Suarez on social media, saying he had been "kicked out".

"I wasn't surprised that Messi supported me publicly because I know him too well," said Suarez. "He knew the pain I was going through, the feeling that I was being kicked out was what hurt me the most.

"The way they did things was not right and Leo knows how me and my family suffered."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54476881

Barcelona boss Ronald Koeman says Uruguay striker Luis Suarez, 33, could have stayed at the Nou Camp to prove him wrong instead of moving to Atletico Madrid.

Back