Aussie Rules Football appreciation thread

Sean

T20I Debutant
Runs
This thread will probably get 0 posts, but for those that want to talk about it, you can talk about it here. People will probably bag me for this. :p
For those that don't know AFL stands for Australian Football League.

16 teams play for the prize of the AFL Premiership Cup. The top 8 teams play out in a final series.
moorcroft.jpg
bb-510.jpg

This is the ball they use.
Sherrin.png

This is the ground.
563px-Afl_stadium.PNG

This is the goal posts.
Goalposts.jpg

Get it through the middle and you get six points. Get it in one of the sides, you get 1 point. Hit the big posts, you get 1 point. Hit the small posts on the full, the opposition gets a free kick.

Most AFL grounds are about 160-170m long, or even longer.
Here is some footage of some matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdUK-Cc4Ajw
(Includes a brilliant mark)

Here is a promo for Aussie rules.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_hqosNvv5E

Me at a match (You don't see me, but you hear me go crazy in the middle after the siren goes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnXgfiBX1CM

For more rules, go here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football

Last edited:
Like i mentioned in the other thread i saw the ending of the Sydney-West Coast game and obviously i found the rules a bit confusing - BUT i managed to watch the last 20 mins so it must have something going for it

Im only home for the weekend so i wont get to watch anymore matches for a while

BTW how does AFL differ to NRL? is it a completely different game?

Gotta say the pitch is MASSIVE - fair play to the guys, they must have to be fit as anything to play cos there is loads of ground to cover

Geordie Ahmed said:
Like i mentioned in the other thread i saw the ending of the Sydney-West Coast game and obviously i found the rules a bit confusing - BUT i managed to watch the last 20 mins so it must have something going for it

Im only home for the weekend so i wont get to watch anymore matches for a while

BTW how does AFL differ to NRL? is it a completely different game?
It is a completely different game. You watch Rugby and it is heaps different from AFL.

Geordie Ahmed said:
Gotta say the pitch is MASSIVE - fair play to the guys, they must have to be fit as anything to play cos there is loads of ground to cover
Yep. The best players can run up to 20km a match.

Sean said:
It is a completely different game. You watch Rugby and it is heaps different from AFL.

aye i know now - the NRL is Rugby League and i know thats played on a rectangular pitch

So how come you are the only aussie that likes AFL? is it only popular in certain parts of Australia?

Geordie Ahmed said:
aye i know now - the NRL is Rugby League and i know thats played on a rectangular pitch

So how come you are the only aussie that likes AFL? is it only popular in certain parts of Australia?
Most of the posters here from Oz are in NSW or Queensland where Rugby League is generally far more popular than AFL. AFL is much more popular everywhere else but we dont have too many posters from Victoria and the other states

Is Neighbours based in Melbourne?

I was watching that and some character in that was talking about some team called The Magpies - is that an AFL team? if so what is their real name?

I remember watching it as a kid - Collingwood is the team that stands out.

Lots of fighting is what I remember - bare knuckle punch-ups!

Geordie Ahmed said:
Is Neighbours based in Melbourne?

I was watching that and some character in that was talking about some team called The Magpies - is that an AFL team? if so what is their real name?
Its in a fictious town/village called Erinsborough, which is meant to be in Victoria

There is a GayFL team called magpies, but I dont know their real name offhand either :))
There was an NRL magpies too (West Magpies) but they merged with Balmain Tigers to become West Tigers a few years back.

UJ said:
AFL sucks even more than NRL
:))

ian chappell was saying on setmax on extraa innings(it is done mainly for indian audience)that cricket is the only sport that unites australia and is by far and away australia's no.1 sport

will it be true to say that cricket in aus is as popular as any sport ?

here in my country the only sport that is popular is cricket

i think it is quite stupid to be crazy about u know only one sport

cricket and tennis are the only sports that i like simply coz the exposure is not there for any sport in india apart from cricket

i loved these sports from 91-92( cricket in oct 91 and tennis in june 92 ) and cricket simply coz of the exposure and tennis coz of love at first sight

i took a break from cricket after wc 1999 till india v sa in ch trophy 2002 and from tennis from after us 95 after to just before wimbledon 2003

from late 90's to early 2000's to early 2007-nothing has changed as there is no exposure in india except cricket which becomes too boring and too early from all and everything.

Ok here are all teams.
afl_acfc.gif

Adelaide Crows
afl_blfc.gif

Brisbane Lions
afl_cfc.gif

Carlton Blues
afl_cmfc.gif

Collingwood Magpies
afl_ebfc.gif

Essendon Bombers
afl_ffc.gif

Fremantle Dockers
afl_gfc.gif

Geelong Cats
afl_hfc.gif

Hawthorn Hawks

kfc_logo_whitebg.gif

Kangaroos (Formally known as North Melbourne)
afl_mfc.gif

Melbourne Demons
afl_pafc.gif

Port Adelaide Power
afl_rtfc.gif

Richmond Tigers
afl_skfc.gif

St Kilda Saints
afl_swfc.gif

Sydney Swans
afl_wcefc.gif

West Coast Eagles
afl_fbfc.gif

Western Bulldogs

Daoud said:
Most of the posters here from Oz are in NSW or Queensland where Rugby League is generally far more popular than AFL. AFL is much more popular everywhere else but we dont have too many posters from Victoria and the other states
Yep. Most supporters are from South Aus, Vic and Western Aus.

Geordie Ahmed said:
So the Magpies are Collingwood

I guess il be supporting them - GO COLLINGWOOD :27: :27:
Oh god no! You cant! The majority of AFL supporters go for fricken Collingwood! You gotta be jokin? Cmon! Go for the Bombers!

Oxy said:
I remember watching it as a kid - Collingwood is the team that stands out.

Lots of fighting is what I remember - bare knuckle punch-ups!
Where did you watch it? In the 80s, Hawthorn was the best team.
From 01-04, Brisbane were in 4 Grand Finals, winning 3 in a row then losing in 04.

Here is a graph of all the premiership winners. It also has the wooden spooners (Team that comes last on the ladder).
60782a096aee4cccca0a88276d6cc9f6.png

Essendon and Carlton have won it 16 times.

Carlton 16
Essendon 16
Collingwood 14
Melbourne 12
Richmond 10
Hawthorn 9
Fitzroy 8
Geelong 6
N.Melb/K'roos 4
Sth Melb/Sydney 4
Brisbane Lions 3
West Coast 3
Adelaide 2
Footscray/W.B. 1
St Kilda 1
Port Adelaide 1
Fremantle 0

For all those in England, you can watch live matches on "Setanta Sports".
* United Kingdom - AFL matches are not shown on free-to-air, however Sky Sports used to show a weekly highlights package with the Grand Final live. From 2007 Setanta Sports will show 2 or 3 live games during the season with a 1 hour highlights show.

Here are some stats from the AFL/VFL over the past 110 years.

VFL/AFL records

* Highest score
Geelong - 37.17 (239) vs. Brisbane Bears
Carrara Oval, May 3, 1992.
* Highest winning margin
Fitzroy - 190 points
Waverley Park, July 28, 1979.
* Highest aggregate score
52.33 (345) - Melbourne 21.15 (141) vs St Kilda 31.18 (204)
MCG, May 6, 1978
* Highest score in one quarter
South Melbourne - 17.4 (106) vs. St Kilda
Lake Oval, July 26, 1919
* Largest crowd
Carlton v Collingwood - 121,696
MCG, September 26, 1970 (Grand Final)
* Largest Home & Away Season crowd
Melbourne v Collingwood - 99,346
MCG, 1958
* Largest crowd for a game between a Victorian and non-Victorian club
Adelaide Crows v St Kilda Saints - 99,645
MCG, September 27, 1997 (Grand Final)
* Largest crowd for a game between non-Victorian clubs
West Coast Eagles v Sydney Swans - 97,431
MCG, September 30, 2006 (Grand Final)
* Largest International crowd
Melbourne v Sydney - 32,789
B.C. Place, Vancouver, Canada, 1987
* Most premierships
Carlton 16, most recent 1995, Essendon 16, most recent 2000
* Most wooden spoons (last position at the end of the Home and Away Season)
St Kilda - 27, most recent 2000
* Most consecutive premierships
Collingwood - 4
1927-1930
* Most games won in a season
Essendon - 24 (incl. finals)
* Most consecutive wins
Geelong - 23
1952-1953
* Most consecutive games unbeaten
Geelong - 26
1952-1953
* Most consecutive losses
University - 51 (1911-1914)
* Most games played in a career
Michael Tuck (Hawthorn) - 426 games
* Most games as club captain
Stephen Kernahan (Carlton) - 226 games
* Most goals in a career
Tony Lockett (St Kilda/Sydney) - 1,360 goals
* Most goals in a game
Fred Fanning (Melbourne) - 18 goals
* Most goals in a season
Bob Pratt (South Melbourne, 1934) and Peter Hudson (Hawthorn, 1971) - 150 goals
* Most consecutive matches
Jim Stynes (Melbourne) - 244
* Most consecutive matches from debut
Jared Crouch (Sydney) - 194 (Ended Rd 13, 2006 due to unknown injury)
* Tallest player
Aaron Sandilands (Fremantle), Peter Street (Western Bulldogs) - 211cm
* Shortest player
Danny Craven (St Kilda/Brisbane) - 162cm
* Heaviest player
Aaron Sandilands (Fremantle) - 124kg
* Longest kick
Albert Thurgood (Essendon) - 98.48m (109 yards, 1 foot, 3.2 inches)

Here is the current ladder after 2 rounds.

Ladd.jpg

Bombers are 2nd. Wooo!
Mr Melbourne supporter's team is last. :D
It says that alot of the teams have "drawn" one or 2 of the matches. But the figures in the "D" column are meant to be in the "W" column. It is a mistake by the website.

Last edited:
There have been no wins but there have been losses, please explain how that works.

Sean said:
Oh god no! You cant! The majority of AFL supporters go for fricken Collingwood! You gotta be jokin? Cmon! Go for the Bombers!

Well itsthe magpies connection so i gotta support them unless there is a team based in Newcastle?

Well there's a connection also that (Paul) Collingwood is a mackem so technically GA you are supporting Sunderland.

Rob H said:
Well there's a connection also that (Paul) Collingwood is a mackem so technically GA you are supporting Sunderland.

aye BUT Collingwoods dad is a Geordie - its just his son is an idiot, lets not diss all collingwoods for that

Geordie Ahmed said:
Well itsthe magpies connection so i gotta support them unless there is a team based in Newcastle?
Nah mate there isn't Only one team in NSW. And that is the Sydney Swans.

Victoria - 10 teams
South Australia - 2 teams
Western Australia - 2 teams
New South Wales - 1 team
Queensland - 1 team

I might be going to the footy tonight so I'll try and take some pics on my phone.

Meanwhile, my team Essendon are beating Carlton by 2 goals. The match has just started.

Last edited:
There's been quite a bit of controversy this week. All from the Derby(West Coast V Fremantle).
Firstly there was controversy when one of the West Coast players swore at the match presentation. He said in front of a national audience and a crowd of 50,000.
"Lets have a F****** good year". He got fined for that.

Secondly, there was a sledging controversy. A West Coast Eagles Player, Troy Selwood, saw a tattoo of Des Headlands (Freo) daughter on his shoulder. It is thought that Sellwood said that he slept with someone that looks like Headland's daughter. It is thought that he also made explicit sexual references about Headlands daughter. They both got off their charges at the tribunal.

Last edited:
A current match on.
Geelong Vs Richmond

Geelong 29.9.183
Richmond 5.9.39

It is 3 quarter time. Geelong are winning by 144 points! The were winning by 150 points midway through the 3rd quarter. The highest score ever is 239, made by Geelong back in the 90s.

Geelong won by 157 points!

222 V 65.

Probably the first time that 200 has been scored this decade.

I was at a cousins place last night and there were a few mates over too who spent a while in Melbourne who were insisting that we watch the Swans vs Kangaroos game (well only one of them was TBH). No change occured during the game. I hated it before and I hated it after. Thankfully we changed it to proper football

That game was probably crap. Tonight would've been awesome! Goals all the time.
One of the best games that I have seen is in 2001. Essendon Vs Kangaroos.
Such a free flowing game with everything in it. We came back from 69 points down and won by 12.
171-159

I have it on DVD. :D

Bachar Houli made his debut for Essendon last week. He is the first muslim to play AFL footy. :19:

r7-gsp-08.jpg

Last edited:
My team, the bombers just won by 8 points.
Richmond led by 6 points with only minutes left. Bombers kicked a goal and it was all tied up.
Richmond's Matthew Richardson who got a broken nose and a busted eyesocket last week, kicked a goal, but was penalised for a push in the back.
The ball went up the other end, where we kicked a behind. There was a turn over from the kick in and there was another behind. Richmond had one last chance at kicking the winner but tuned it over again. Matthew Lloyd from Essendon marked at 60m. Then the siren went. He kicked a goal after the siren and we won by 8 points in the Dreamtime at the G' match.

This probably something that CricketKid would understand so here is my match report for the Essendon VS Sydney match.

Aww what a match! I was on the edge of my seat. A couple of controversial moments but it's the result that counts. With only a couple of minutes to go, Amon Buchanon had a shot at goal that looked like it was going to bounce straight through for a goal and win the match.
But no, the ball took an awkward bounce and grazed the post. Boy, I nearly had a heart attack. From the side view, it looked like it had gone in for a goal. But the goal umpire signalled a behind and my heart was saved.
The siren went a minute or 2 later signalling a 74-73 victory against the Swannies at the SCG.

Earlier in the final quarter, Bomber Adam Mcphee snapped from the forward pocket. He carried the ball over the boundary line. It should have been called out of bounds. But it wasn't and Mark McVeigh went on to kick an awesome goal that went through for a goal.

Another controversial moment was on the 3 quarter time siren. Scotty Lucas had a shot from 55. He failed to make the distance, but Peter "Spider" Everitt fisted the ball through for a behind, meaning that the Bombers scored a point. He could have easily marked the ball, and the game would have more than likely ended up a draw.

Boy was I excited that we won, and so were the players. The song was sung with pride and a lot of them were jumping around like a kangaroo.

We have now won 6 and losses 4 after 10 rounds.

Bring it on next week CK. We're gonna woop your behind at Telstra Dome!

YOU EFFING RIPPER. CARN THE BOMBERS. TAKE THAT CRICKETKID! WHAT A MATCH! WHAT AND AMAZING MATCH!!!!!! We won by a point! AFL AT ITS BEsT!

Poor match from the eagles Kicking more behinds than goals Once again Great comeback by the Bomber's.

Hey Daoud, if there ever was a match to watch, this is it. Brilliant!

I'm bored so im watching it again on normal Tv its into the 2nd quarter

YOu told me on msn that you weren't going to watch it. Thought you'd be a bit ****** off about it. Maybe you should just watch the Grand Final from last year. That's if you have it. It will erase your memory for a couple of hours.

Sean said:
Hey Daoud, if there ever was a match to watch, this is it. Brilliant!
Im sure it is, but luckily the network executives in Sydney have the sense not to have it on TV!

It's on Foxtel. Dunno if you have foxtel though. Maybe I can send you a copy on DVD? :p

Im watching the grand final from last year it's settled me down i ain't going to watch it all im only going to watch it up to when Essedons start Leading :)

Last edited:
I know i didn't even watched the grand final but i got it.

Last edited:
But you said that you watched the grand final until Essendon start leading. :20: :13:

I meant the Eagles vs Essedon match i didn't describe it properly.

Daoud, CK, watch highlights of the final quarter. ;-)
[utube]6ZpEj5_FNH4[/utube]

Teams that are definitely making it to the finals

Geelong
Port Adelaide
Eagles
Hawthorn
Kangaroos
Collingwood

and Sean we'll get you back this week :p

Last edited:
Bombers made a good comeback in the last qaurter with Luca's kicking 7 in the last Staker's goal just won it for us

Team's that are going to the finals

Geelong
Port Adelaide
Eagles
Hawthorn
Kangaroos
Collingwood
Adelaide
Sydney

CricketKid said:
Bombers made a good comeback in the last qaurter with Luca's kicking 7 in the last Staker's goal just won it for us

Team's that are going to the finals

Geelong
Port Adelaide
Eagles
Hawthorn
Kangaroos
Collingwood
Adelaide
Sydney

Oh god I was dying man! I was going crazy! I thought we were gonna win. Lucas is a god! But the real god is Hird. He played awesome. That snap was class to say the least.

When Australia won

It was coincidence that at the moment Australia won the test series in Pakistan sport in Australia erupted, but it was not for the cricket result.

Footballer Buddy Franklin kicked his 1000th goal at the same time.

Back