MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
This is not what Pakistan wanted to hear about but here it is

1701708018366.png

==

‘The fastest I’ve faced since Shaun Tait’: Meet Australia’s new Wild Thing

Lance Morris has been confirmed as the latest “Wild Thing” of Australian cricket as he prepares to train with the national squad ahead of the first Test against Pakistan in Perth, beginning next week.

At his peak, Shaun Tait carried the mantle of his country’s fastest bowler during an explosive but injury-marred career. Now, 17-year Sheffield Shield veteran Moises Henriques claims that Morris, 25, is the quickest he’s faced since Tait almost two decades ago.

“Facing him during a spell at the WACA a couple of years ago he was definitely, comfortably the fastest bowler I’ve faced since Shaun Tait,” Henriques, the Sydney Sixers captain, told this masthead during the launch of the Big Bash in Sydney on Monday, ahead of their opening match against the Melbourne Renegades at the SCG this Friday.

Henriques, 36, named Morris among the three quickest bowlers he had faced during his international and domestic career, including former NSW and Sixers teammate Brett Lee in the nets.

“The biggest thing for him that he’s improved over the last two years is his accuracy,” Henriques said. “He’s had that pace, but he was not as consistent as he has been the last couple of years.

“Obviously with the bowling group they [Australia] have at the moment, something’s going to happen to one of the bowlers for him to get an opportunity, but I don’t doubt that he can have success at the top level. It’s just a matter of him trying to get a crack in front of the guys ahead of him at the moment.”

The “guys ahead of him” are quality veterans Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood and Australian captain Pat Cummins, who are all expected to be fit for the first Test.

Morris has been chosen in a 14-player squad as a potential enforcer in place of Starc, the fastest of that trio, should Starc succumb to a minor injury he is carrying into the season.

“I want to be an attacking strike bowler,” Morris told this masthead. “Obviously, seeing the likes of Mitchell Starc do it for a long time, and Mitchell Johnson before that, they’re my idols who I’ve looked up to.

“If I could step into a similar role like that, it’s a pretty exciting job to have and a license to do that.”

Morris was representing the Perth Scorchers during the Big Bash launch at Moore Park golf course but following his naming in the national team was unsure when he would be available for his Big Bash side.

“I’m not sure how the dates line up, but if I can slide into the back half of the tournament, that would be awesome,” he said.

It has been a frustrating build-up to the summer at times for Morris, who has been returning from stress fractures in his back revealed by scans at the end of the last season, robbing him of a place on the Ashes tour. He has played three of Western Australia’s six Sheffield Shield matches so far this season, claiming 11 wickets at an average of 26.

Lance Morris has declared he is better equipped for a Test debut than when first called into the Australian squad a year ago, despite having his winter disrupted by a back fracture.

On Sunday, the West Australian tearaway was named in the 14-man squad for the first Test against Pakistan in Perth, starting December 14.

Australia is confident its "big three" quicks Mitch Starc, Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood will be fit for the match, having each enjoyed almost a month off between the ODI World Cup final and the first Test.

That is likely to deny Morris, nicknamed "The Wild Thing" for his explosive pace, a fairytale home Test debut.

But with four more Tests before the end of January, he and fellow quick Scott Boland have a chance to feature at some point.

"(I've got) itchy feet, but in a good way," Morris said.

"I'm excited to ideally get out there and have a crack.

Lance Morris may have a chance to start his highly anticipated international career after being named in the 14-man squad for the first Test against Pakistan, while David Warner appears set to be handed a fairytale end to his stellar career.

"At this stage, I think my role in the team is being there in case someone does go down, and I'm just hoping to take that opportunity if it does arise."

Morris's latest inclusion comes almost exactly 12 months after he earned a surprise call-up as injury cover for the second Test of the last home summer.

He maintained his spot in the Test squad for the tour of India, but did not have a chance to debut.

"They were two huge learning curves for me," Morris said of his first two call-ups.

"I had a great time working with the likes of (assistant coach) Danny Vettori and obviously Andrew McDonald when I was with the squad.

"I feel like I know my own game a lot better after coming away from the Aussie squad. It's been a nice period to work on that stuff and try and fine-tune a few things.

A quiet build-up to Australia's summer of cricket has been punctuated by the great David Warner debate, but whatever your feelings about the retiring opener, he has already provided the spark this series needs.

"I definitely feel like I'm in a better place than I was 12 months ago, for sure."

A stress fracture in Morris's back ruled him out of Ashes calculations and began a long period of careful recovery on the sidelines.

He returned to red-ball cricket in mid-October and has taken 11 wickets across three Sheffield Shield matches for Western Australia.

"There's probably a little bit of hesitancy at first," Morris said of his return to the game.

"But overall it's been a really structured build-up into returning to full game intensity. I think we've done that really nicely as well and I feel like I'm in a really good place."

Morris has been heartened to have remained in the Test frame despite a disrupted lead-in to the summer.

"It's awesome. I guess that shows they have a bit of faith and a bit of a plan in place," Morris said.

"If they're willing to have me around the squad, I'm absolutely stoked with that."

Morris's ability to consistently bowl faster than 150kph makes him a conducive replacement for Starc if the left-arm quick is injured or rested.

But chief selector George Bailey has already indicated there would be no issue selecting Morris and Starc in the same XI.

"That's awesome. I'm glad there's plans for the future ahead," Morris said.

ABC

I am not sure if our batters are prepared to face 150+ on bouncy pitches in Australia. As Shaun Tait is claiming him to be the fastest, I am already foreseeing a 90 all-out.

I think he will play at SCG when series is already over

He is not going to play . Cummins Starc and Hazlewood will play along with one allrounder Marsh or Green.

oh lord we're not going to cross triple digits this entire tour aren't we

If he wanted any country to make his debut against, Pakistan in Australia is a dream one. We can make him look like the 2nd coming of Lee

He's gonna be carted around everywhere,

overhyped for nothing.
This lol. He is a 140 to 145 bowler Max
He is good in bouncy conditions but apart from that looks nothing special.

Lance Morris destine to join a long list of players who got 5fer against Pakistan on debut

Kyle Abbott, Steve Finn, Chris Tremlett, Doug Bollinger, Nathan Hauritz, Ryan Harris, Clint McKay, Stuart Clark

Shan Masood hopping and skipping to a well earned and counterattacking 22 off 102 balls if this dude plays…

Drawing the 3rd test and Pak takes the series 2-0 :sa

first of all let's see how he play international matches Don't over hype him before he playing international cricket

Pakistani team has a poor record against the debutants. If you want to play your debut match, then Pakistan should be your number 1 choice as they can make you look like a gem of a player in your debut match.

First of all he is not likely to get a place unless Australia decide to play 4 pacers and no spinners.

Secondly he isn't Shaun Tait's pace.

According to a media report, Lance Morris is set to make a debut for Australia against Pakistan. Morris is going to play in place of star Australian pacer Mitchell Starc. Starc,according to some reports is grappling with a niggle injury and thus may miss the initial test match against Pakistan in the Optus stadium,Perth Australia.

‘Wild Thing’ Morris put on ice as Australia ignore Johnson’s push for debutant

Perth: Australia’s selectors have swiftly ruled out a home Test debut for Lance Morris, effectively declaring the side to face Pakistan after the national team’s first training session in the west.

Mitchell Johnson’s latest column in The Sunday Times – characterised as another “strike” against the Australian team by the masthead in which it was published – pressed hard for WA-product Morris to debut as the fastest bowler in the country while arguing that an ageing team needed to be recast this summer.

But head coach Andrew McDonald wasted little time expressing the view that Morris, Cameron Green, and Scott Boland would be in reserve this week unless injuries emerged over the next three days.

He also reinforced the selectors’ strong view that the advent of the World Test Championship, played over two-year cycles, had intensified the need to pick a nation’s best team at any given moment, rather than leaning too much towards blue sky thinking about distant future assignments.

“Lance put a few under notice there, in particular Marnus [Labuschagne], so it was a good contest, [a] good hit out, and all the quicks have returned in good order,” McDonald said. “In terms of what that means for selection we’ll work through that over the next couple days, but I think it’ll look the same as what it has before.

“We’re there to pick the best XI we can at any given time and I think the World Test Championship has put a premium on every Test match. It’s hard to make, we missed out on the first cycle of it by over-rate of all things, so it’s always tight to get into that final and every Test match counts.

“We adopt that philosophy and we’ll keep that simple across the time myself, George [Bailey] and Tony Dodemaide are making those decisions.”

Mitchell Marsh, a jovial presence at a training session that also featured a visit from former Australian captain Kim Hughes alongside his grandson, played with characteristic freedom in the centre wicket net against Australia’s pace bowlers, and will have licence to attack Pakistan, much as he did in the final three Ashes Tests.

McDonald deflected any talk of Marsh ultimately replacing David Warner at the top of the batting order, having previously led to speculation about Marnus Labuschagne being promoted with his comments in a radio interview. There is no realistic prospect of Labuschagne being moved from three.

“On the back of a strong Ashes campaign it’s likely he’ll start in that number-six position, so [that’s] something to get excited about for the Perth fans, looking to see him play that aggressive role at six,” McDonald said of Marsh. “We want him to have that intent he has shown in previous Test matches and one-day cricket, so [we’re] really excited by what he can bring with both bat and ball and just around the group in general. He’s a person we love having around.”

One player who has no plans to declare a Test retirement date is Nathan Lyon, who will rebalance the attack considerably after he was desperately missed in the final three Ashes Tests. McDonald stated that Lyon was one of the world’s most underrated cricketers, and the team now understood exactly what was lost in his absence.

“I think in the last series they played it was a more up-tempo brand and they’ll try to put more pressure on the bowling unit, so I think we’ll see a little bit of that. But, like anything, if we execute with the ball it’s going to be difficult to be able to maintain that over long periods. We’re not sure of the way they’ll play – they’ll signal their intent from the first ball out there.

“I’m glad someone noticed the fact we were missing him in the last three Test matches. It was a huge loss when he went down, it destabilised what we’d normally do and he’s been down the other end to those quicks for 100 Tests on the dot,” he said.

“So important to the way we operate, he can tie up an end, he can be aggressive when he wants to be, but he makes that attack work and when he wasn’t there we went through some periods of instability, and we had to find different ways of doing things, and at times it looked as though we could manage that, at other times we didn’t.

“I think he flies under the radar in conversations at times – we’re happy to have him every time he plays. I think people will reflect when he does finally hang up the boots [just] how important he was to this bowling attack. Internally we recognise that, externally sometimes he’s not recognised as much as he should be.”

Expected Australia XI: David Warner, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Travis Head, Mitchell Marsh, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins (capt), Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood.

SOURCE: SMH

Looks very quick with a good arsenal of balls he can mix up. Bowls a beautiful in swinging yorker

Average. As others have said he isn’t that fast either. Can maybe touch 150 kph on a very good day.

Not matter how "wild" he is, he ain't no way nearly as fast & deadly as peak Tait was. Tait was a rare beast.

Lance Morris is making his ODI debut for Australia today against West Indies in the 1st ODI match of the series. So much hype around him about his pace and all. Let's see what he is made of.

How fast was he bowling? was he over 150kph heaps or just in mid 140's?

nothing like a fast bowler who can touch 150kph especially in tests. there arent many

Back