Australia tour of New Zealand (2024)

Kiwis have a great chance.

But, I have a feeling Aussies may just pull it off. They only need 202 more runs.

marsh and head are capable of chasing this down. but i think there is enough movement for nz bowlers to get one of marsh or head and the rest out quickly to win this.

Australia have a sniff with NZ down 1 bowler and with Southee being terrible. This is all on Sears and Matt Henry.

Wow never expected this turn around from NZ, Ravindra unlucky to miss out on the 100...

Australia already lost a test against Westindies now on the brink of losing another test match .
They were very lucky against Pakistan to not lose a test match.
Even in the first test, it was green's last wicket partnership with hazlewood and lyon somehow scoring 40 runs with the bat that ended up winning the test for aus.
Aus just finds ways to barely scrap through

Kiwis have a great chance.

But, I have a feeling Aussies may just pull it off. They only need 202 more runs.
202 runs with 6 wickets remaining and you are facing the side who is playing at their home, still a huge task.

Nathan Lyon says Australia will draw on their experiences from last year's Ashes win at Edgbaston in their second innings run chase against New Zealand

Australia will draw heavily on the reserves of belief hewn from recent successes as they look to defy history and conventional wisdom in pursuit of an against-the-odds win in the second and final Test against New Zealand.

At face value, 4-77 heading into day four at Hagley Oval and eyeing a further 202 runs to complete a clean sweep of the two-match Qantas Tour of New Zealand would seem a stretch, even for a men's team that has enjoyed some stunning victories over the past year or more.

The task becomes even more daunting when it's revealed that, across almost 150 years of Test cricket, Australia has never recovered from being 4-34 (which they were after 15 overs this evening) to reach a total of 279 which is their current victory target.

The best they've managed previously is when they bounced back from 4-9 against Sri Lanka at Moratuwa in 1992 before reaching 9(dec)-271 due to a 130-run seventh-wicket stand between Ian Healy and Greg Matthews that ultimately brought about a draw.

With two days remaining and Christchurch's forecast showing no suggestion of the sort of Manchester deluge that saved Australia from a similarly bleak outlook in last year's Ashes Test at Old Trafford, it's safe to assume a result will be reached at some stage tomorrow.

And even though Australia spinner Nathan Lyon dryly noted the required run rate for victory over those remaining days is barely one run per over "so take the game deep", the fact Australia's current not out pair Travis Head (17) and Mitch Marsh (27) are known strokemakers suggests the outcome will be known sooner rather than later.

Lyon noted the mood within the Australia dressing room wasn't overly cheery as Steve Smith (9), Usman Khawaja (11), first-innings top scorer Marnus Labuschagne (6) and first Test matchwinner Cameron Green (5) all succumbed to the new ball.

But he pointed to the strong belief engendered by coach Andrew McDonald and skipper Pat Cummins, a key factor in the group's World Test Championship and ODI World Cup triumphs last year, as a reason why hope of a stunning comeback remain.

"There's a lot of belief in that changeroom and that's credit to Pat (Cummins) and 'Ron' (McDonald), and the way they go about their leadership," Lyon said after claiming 3-49 in NZ's second innings.

"They've installed a lot of belief that we can win from any position, and we've now found ourselves in this position where our backs are up against the wall.

"New Zealand were on a roll tonight but I'm sitting here understanding and believing we can win, that's for sure."

Lyon can also recall similarities to the team's Ashes win at Edgbaston, a match he rates as perhaps the most memorable of his 129-Test career, where they chased down a near-identical last-day target of 281 with himself and Cummins at the crease when the winning boundary was struck.

Australia had also surrendered early wickets in that pursuit before Khawaja anchored the innings and Cummins crowned the moment with an unbeaten 44, but the first four wickets in that game added a combined 121 which is markedly more than today's early capitulation.

The flickering hope for Australia is that both Head and Marsh have been integral in the successes of the recent past, with the former earning player of the match honours in the WTC and World Cup finals.

And in accepting the Allan Border Medal as the team's premier player over the preceding year, an emotional Marsh paid tribute to McDonald and Cummins for the belief they had shown in him to enable him to realise his boundless potential as an allrounder.

Marsh's most triumphant moment of that storied comeback was the 118 from as many balls he blasted in the third Ashes Test at Headingley – his first in the Baggy Green Cap for four years – which came with Australia in similarly dire strife at 4-85.

"We've still got two world-class batters at the crease now and we've got confidence and belief that if we do the good things for a long period of time, with 'Heady' and 'Marshy' the way they bat then you've got Alex (Carey) coming in next, then anything is possible," Lyon said tonight.

"And we've been able to tick off a couple of totals in the past, so there's a lot of confidence in our batting group and us bowlers with the bat in hand.

'We pride ourselves on our batting, so we'll give it our best chance if it comes down to that."

The other fleeting comfort Australia might take into tomorrow, as NZ eye their first win over their staunch rivals on home turf since 1993 and on any pitch since 2011, is the result of the last year's corresponding Test at Hagley Oval.

In that game against Sri Lanka, the Black Caps were set a fourth-innings target of 285 which they reached eight-down on a day-five pitch that NZ opener Tom Latham claimed was slightly tougher for batting than is the current iteration.

"I think the one against Sri Lanka probably had a bit more pace in it," Latham said.

"And it probably offered a little bit more for the bowlers, so we're obviously going to have a lot of hard work to do tomorrow to come back and try and be as relentless as we can and force a mistake from the Aussie batters.

"It's a great opportunity that I'm sure all of the guys are really looking forward to."

Lyon had earlier noted that batting seemed to become more straightforward once the ball became 40 overs old and started to soften and, with 24 overs already gone in their chase, Australia's batters will be hoping that remains the case.

And then there's the other element of history that the visitors might need to redress if they are to claims a famous win.

The only team to have been bowled out in the fourth innings to lose a game in the nine prior Tests at Hagley Oval was New Zealand in 2022, when they were skittled for 227 by South Africa in pursuit of a distant 426 for victory.

And they began their chase on that day losing early wickets, and crashing to 3-25 which mirrored Australia's stumbling start today.

New Zealand 162 & 372

Australia (32.1 ov, T:279) 256 & 107/5

Day 4 - Session 1: Australia need 171 runs.

Is the psychological advantage of Australia over NZ starting to show. They have lost Head. But they put on some quick runs as well.

Australia is coasting towards win by the look of it. You cannot give life to guys like Marsh. He will punish you badly.

NZ is self-imploding. They have no clue how to set up a dismissal here. Australia didn't have to do much

New Zealand 162 & 372

Australia (43 ov, T:279) 256 & 174/5

Day 4 - Lunch: Australia need 105 runs.

Epic choking from NZ lol They had the match in their hands. If they took the catch Australia would ahve been 77/5

It puts in perspective what a great spell Shamar Joseph bowled to Australia while defending a meager total.

What a choke from NZ.

80/5 and still not able to get the job done.

NZ won't beat Australia for the next 20 years at this rate. This is a decent NZ unit despite loss of a couple of guys recently.

NZ bowling is mediocre. Can’t win matches against Australia with trundles like Southee, Henry. Sears has some pace but bowls hit me balls.

Australia deservedly sent the Kiwis crying.

Stead, Southee and Kuggeliejn need to go. Blundell has been in poor form for a long time now and needs runs badly, but fair to keep him for another series. NZ need a coach and captain combination that are ruthless, proactive and have better attention to detail. This current duo of Southee and Stead let things drift and struggle to make hard decisions.

There is the bones of a good bowling attack for the next generation with Henry and Jamieson for the next few years and O'Rourke and Sears showing promise plus Phillips offering spin from the middle order batting.

The batting talent is still strong, but not totally playing with confidence. Much easier to bat with confidence when you don't have the pressure of needing to score huge because the bowling attack is carrying 1-2 passengers.

Australia just has a psychological stranglehold on so many teams. Whenever it's crunchtime - a crucial knockout or a tough chase in a deciding test, you just know the other side whether it's India, NZ, SA or whoever will crumble and the Aussies will find a way.

Not to say there aren't exceptions. Every team has a few stories to tell but it must be just so tough going up against them feeling in the back of your mind you're going to lose.

There's teams that have dominated other sports - the Chicago Bulls for 7-8 years, Manchester United for 10-15 but the sheer length of this Aussies excellence over probably 3 generations of players has to be unprecedented in sport.

Australia just has a psychological stranglehold on so many teams. Whenever it's crunchtime - a crucial knockout or a tough chase in a deciding test, you just know the other side whether it's India, NZ, SA or whoever will crumble and the Aussies will find a way.

Not to say there aren't exceptions. Every team has a few stories to tell but it must be just so tough going up against them feeling in the back of your mind you're going to lose.

There's teams that have dominated other sports - the Chicago Bulls for 7-8 years, Manchester United for 10-15 but the sheer length of this Aussies excellence over probably 3 generations of players has to be unprecedented in sport.

Pant broke that curse with great fast bowling support cast

Pant broke that curse with great fast bowling support cast
Yes and then we went and lost the WTC finals and one more World Cup final.

As I said, every team has a story or two to tell about how they fought the mighty Aussies and beat them. England has a couple of Ashes, Saffers also bearded the lion in it's own den (once?) but the feeling's still there - that when it matters, you're probably going to lose to those a****s in green and gold.

As I said, every team has a story or two to tell about how they fought the mighty Aussies and beat them. England has a couple of Ashes, Saffers also bearded the lion in it's own den (once?) but the feeling's still there - that when it matters, you're probably going to lose to those a****s in green and gold.
India have actually won in more series against the Australians then vice versa since the 90's.

India have actually won in more series against the Australians then vice versa since the 90's.
Yes I know. I've been watching since the mid-80s including a bunch live. I was at Eden gardens for the epic match ( not that ONE!) where Azhar went crazy with support from the rising young stars and we made 600+ to beat them by an innings for the first time ever.

We've climbing that mountain ever since and we've scaled a few peaks but whatever the stats say, they still scare the s**t out of me and I never got into a match with them believing we're going to win.

“Kane Williamson is a great captain” narrative has taken another beating.

“Kane Williamson is a great captain” narrative has taken another beating.
My brother in Christ, how clueless are you? Kane hasn't been Test captain in like over a year.

Southee has been getting criticized since he took over.

You exposed yourself big time here.

Stead, Southee and Kuggeliejn need to go. Blundell has been in poor form for a long time now and needs runs badly, but fair to keep him for another series. NZ need a coach and captain combination that are ruthless, proactive and have better attention to detail. This current duo of Southee and Stead let things drift and struggle to make hard decisions.

There is the bones of a good bowling attack for the next generation with Henry and Jamieson for the next few years and O'Rourke and Sears showing promise plus Phillips offering spin from the middle order batting.

The batting talent is still strong, but not totally playing with confidence. Much easier to bat with confidence when you don't have the pressure of needing to score huge because the bowling attack is carrying 1-2 passengers.
Making Southee captain was a brain dead decision. Get Kane back as captain for the Test team and give Santner the ODI captaincy.

My brother in Christ, how clueless are you? Kane hasn't been Test captain in like over a year.

You exposed yourself big time here.
My apologies.

Actually, I think so little of a small and bland team like New Zealand that it is easy for me to forget who is captaining and who isn’t.

They have no presence and relevance in the game. I only notice them when they job for Australia or Williamson gets exposed for the fraud batsman that he is, or if Rachin makes the headlines who is special no doubt.

The absence of Boult makes them less watchable. He was one of they few genuinely great players to come out of the Shire.

Damn, 28 averaging Carey wins the tense moment of the game and seals the series 2-0.

India had Laxman in the 2000s. He scored 2000 runs against Mighty Aussies. But Pant is the one who really put fear into them.

My apologies.

Actually, I think so little of a small and bland team like New Zealand that it is easy for me to forget who is captaining and who isn’t.

They have no presence and relevance in the game. I only notice them when they job for Australia or Williamson gets exposed for the fraud batsman that he is, or if Rachin makes the headlines who is special no doubt.

The absence of Boult makes them less watchable. He was one of they few genuinely great players to come out of the Shire.
Nah, you exposed yourself as a hater.

Southee has been captaining for over a year. It's inexcusable and indefensible mistake from you.

You don't watch the matches or follow them closely enough to realize who the captain even is. So please don't bother adding your 'expert' input into NZ games when you aren't even following the games.

Nah, you exposed yourself as a hater.

Southee has been captaining for over a year. It's inexcusable and indefensible mistake from you.

You don't watch the matches or follow them closely enough to realize who the captain even is. So please don't bother adding your 'expert' input into NZ games when you aren't even following the games.
You can’t hate something that you think so little of.

I don’t hate New Zealand. I just don’t think of them. The only thing I check when New Zealand plays is to see if Kane Williamson will ever prove me wrong against a top bowling attack and it seems that he will never let me down.

So yes I do admit that if you ask me to name the current NZ XI, I will have to reconfirm by googling a few players which isn’t the case for other sides.

tough luck nz, would have probably won this had jamieson been fit.
their future bowling attack is looking pretty promising with many young seamers like or o'rourke and sears coming up. other domestic seamers like nathan smith, fraser sheat are also rated highly by nz fans. its time for southee to retire to officially end the southee,boult,wagner legacy.

Like I said, absolute bunnies .

Record of 25 Test losses and 1 win since April 1993.

It just keeps getting worse and worse for NZ.

Like I said, absolute bunnies .

Record of 25 Test losses and 1 win since April 1993.

It just keeps getting worse and worse for NZ.
How many draws?

It seems like they are even worse than Pakistan is against Australia which I didn’t think was possible.

At least Pakistan utterly destroyed Australia in the UAE.

What a choke by newzealand .... never expect this from them. It's Bangladesh level choking allowing aus to chase 280 when they get them 80/5

How many draws?

It seems like they are even worse than Pakistan is against Australia which I didn’t think was possible.

At least Pakistan utterly destroyed Australia in the UAE.
7 draws. They have a weird record in Australia .

That 1 Test win came in a 2 Test series in Australia in 2011 and they drew a series 0-0 in 2001 thanks to rain .

So, they have 2 drawn series in Australia. But have only 1 Test win , both home and away in 30 years.

W/L ratio wise, it's worse than PAK/WI/SL and even Bangladesh I think.

Kane hasn't been Test captain in like over a year.

To be honest, a lot of people still think that Kane is the current captain for NZ. Whether it's Southee or Kane, it doesn't matter; it's less watchable.

Australia today completed a whitewash against the New Zealand team, defeated them by three wickets to chase down the target of 279 in the 2nd Test. Final result, Australia takes the Test series by 2-0 margin against the New Zealand.
======

Australia sneak home past New Zealand in World Test Championship thriller
A herculean effort from Alex Carey alongside Mitchell Marsh's 80 and Pat Cummins' late heroics was enough for Australia to edge New Zealand in the second Test in Christchurch.
New Zealand v Australia scorecard

Carey finished on 98* as Pat Cummins (32*) struck the winning runs off New Zealand debutant Ben Sears (4/90), whose double-wicket over to collect Mitchell Marsh and Mitchell Starc earlier looked to bring the Blackcaps back into the match.

In the end, Cummins' and Carey's partnership of 61 pushed the Australians to a three-wicket win, handing the tourists 12 points on their road to defending the World Test Championship mace, and completing a 2-0 series clean sweep against their trans-Tasman rivals.

Latest World Test Championship standings

Australia were in precarious spots at 34/4 and then 80/5 in the chase of 279 before the partnership of 140 between Carey and Marsh (80), with the pair travelling at almost five runs an over.

Sears claimed Marsh after Marais Erasmus adgjued the Australian No.6 lbw, before a shorter delivery on Starc's hip was hit to Will Young in close on the leg-side next delivery.

Cummins survived the hat-trick ball, albeit streakily, before hitting four boundaries in his 44-ball stay, the last of which completing the chase.

Claiming 10 catches on top of his match-winning knock, Carey was named Player of the Match, and explained Australia's plan of attack at the post-match presentation.

“The message this morning was let's go out there and play our way if you see an opportunity, take it.

“(It was) backs against the wall this morning, they came out last night and really put us under the pump so it's nice to chase those runs down."

“We knew they were the threats early, the ball was nipping around and I thought Mitch Marsh’s intent was outstanding and sort of got us going a little bit but, it was certainly tough early.

Alex Carey impressed as Australia secured a first WTC mace - Highlights | WTC23 Final
Australia keeper-batter Alex Carey scored crucial runs and was neat behind the stumps in the ICC World Test Championship Final 2023

Also speaking after the victory, Carey's batting partner and captain justified the attack with the bat by looking at it from the bowling side's perspective.

“If the scoreboard is not moving, you always feel in the game (from the bowling side), but if they're just chipping away at it seems like it's all happening pretty quickly.

"So that was a goal today - just always be busy out there. Just keep the run rate ticking over, bit by bit getting closer."

Looking back on the beginning of the Test, the skipper praised his men for keeping their cool as wickets tumbled on both sides, taking a crucial first innings lead into the latter stages.

“That day one moved really quickly. And then after that the pitch flattened out and it was a bit tougher going for the bowlers. But yeah, the first innings lead was always key.

“I think the story of this series was in key moments one guy stood up, and we didn't necessarily play complete games but you know, someone stood up and made themselves a match-winner. (We) keep finding ways to win. It's a pretty awesome squad.

“Amazing win, bit by bit, the boys were fantastic today."

Forlorn New Zealand captain Tim Southee praised the work of Australia's batters.

"Yeah it was a great partnership (between Marsh and Carey). That sort of broke the back of our attack, but then obviously, a great little exciting into the end of the day," Southee reflected in his 100th Test match.

“When you're playing the No.1 side in the world you just need to go that little bit further, but I think it was a great Test match, obviously turning up to day four with both results in play and then the flow throughout the whole match.

Source : ICC

7 draws. They have a weird record in Australia .

That 1 Test win came in a 2 Test series in Australia in 2011 and they drew a series 0-0 in 2001 thanks to rain .

So, they have 2 drawn series in Australia. But have only 1 Test win , both home and away in 30 years.

W/L ratio wise, it's worse than PAK/WI/SL and even Bangladesh I think.
That was miraculous. :LOL:
Ross Taylor was the captain; Kane has zero wins against Australia.

Since the retirement of their golden era of McGrath/Warne etc, this is Australia's second highest chase in terms of 4th innings chases.

And NZ let that happen after having them on the ropes at 80/5.

That was miraculous. :LOL:
Ross Taylor was the captain; Kane has zero wins against Australia.

Doug Bracewell with the ball won that match IIRC. Not sure about Taylor's captaincy. Fleming was an astute captain and he didn't win anything against OZ either.

Choke job for the ages. NZ's record vs Aus at home is bizarre, even Bangladesh beat Aussies to draw a series in 2017, Sri Lanka whitewashed Australia 3-0 around that time, and drew a series 1-1 couple of years back.

Southee is a washed up trundler. Was done 2 years ago

NZ need to try and build an attack of Henry/Rourke/Sears/Jamieson by the time Bazball comes calling. Else they'll get whitewashed there as well.

Southee is a washed up trundler. Was done 2 years ago

NZ need to try and build an attack of Henry/Rourke/Sears/Jamieson by the time Bazball comes calling. Else they'll get whitewashed there as well.
Henry trundler
Rourke average
Sears quality seamer. Good bounce
Jamieson quality in sen conditions

Amazing win by the Aussies.

They are looking good to win WTC again.
One off finals no one beats Aussies in odi

T20 anyone's game

Tests one off again Aussies are the best

But long series they are beatable

Aussies are real madrid

India England are like bayern Liverpool

West indies like milan

Pakistan is like inter milan

Pat Cummins said in the post-match presentation:

"Pretty tense, everyone was nervous the last couple of hours. Amazing win. (On winning runs) Anyway possible to win, I had no idea he (Carey) was on 98."

"The toss helped, it was funny how quickly the match moved on Day 1. First innings leads are always key for this reason. We've been on the other side of Tests plenty of time, I just told the boys to keep the scoreboard moving, stay busy and put the pressure on the opposition."

"We've got an experienced side, the story of this series has been guys standing up in crunch moments. Love playing Test matches, best format of cricket and it pays off on days like this."

Pat Cummins said in the post-match presentation:

"Pretty tense, everyone was nervous the last couple of hours. Amazing win. (On winning runs) Anyway possible to win, I had no idea he (Carey) was on 98."

"The toss helped, it was funny how quickly the match moved on Day 1. First innings leads are always key for this reason. We've been on the other side of Tests plenty of time, I just told the boys to keep the scoreboard moving, stay busy and put the pressure on the opposition."

"We've got an experienced side, the story of this series has been guys standing up in crunch moments. Love playing Test matches, best format of cricket and it pays off on days like this."
Alex Carey said while speaking in an interview to local radio:

"Pretty happy I didn’t have to face another ball, I was pretty up and about at that stage and might have played a rash shot with the energy going the way it was. [I was] a little bit disappointed with the first game’s dismissals [in Wellington]. But today I kept to a really solid plan, read the conditions, read the bowlers and the partnership as well. We always felt pretty confident."

There's a reason why the Aussies barely tour nz, the most one sided rivalry in world cricket, if you could call it that.

Kane being exposed as a minnow basher again

So it never crossed his mind? Hilarious. How is this guy a captain?

Southee backs decision not to bring on Glenn Phillips earlier

They call NZ arch rival? Is it really the case? 31 year old no win against them. Yet arch rival? It has lost its meaning.

Back