Australia vs India | 1st Test | MCG | 26/12/11 | Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasnain_786

Local Club Regular
Runs
My second match thread ever on PP :yk

Perhaps the biggest date on the Test cricket calendar, this year's Boxing Day match is a meeting between two flawed but fascinating teams. The dimensions of the flaws - Australia's brittle batting, India's slim bowling - create for plenty of intrigue.

Australia enter the match having lost a Test to New Zealand for the first time since 1993, and with the batsmen having been submitted for extra remedial work against the swinging ball. They are bolstered by the return of Shaun Marsh and the inclusion of the solid Ed Cowan, but will have to improve markedly in their resilience as a batting collective. Ricky Ponting and Michael Hussey, the two thirty-somethings in the middle order, have the task ahead of them to prove they deserve to keep their spots after recent misadventures with the bat. They will hope for brighter days against India's attack.

Though Zaheer Khan and Ishant Sharma appear a formidable pace duo on the page, neither is at their peak due to ankle problems. Zaheer's has been recovering after surgery, while Ishant may yet require surgical work once the tour is over. Behind them are the slippery but inexperienced Umesh Yadav and the spin of R Ashwin or Pragyan Ojha, none of whom have played a Test in Australia. Ashwin's accuracy and variations have the chance of posing problems for the hosts, though the drop-in pitch at the MCG is not noted as for extremes of spin or deterioration.

Better known is India's batting, constructed as it is on the pillars of Virender Sehwag, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar and VVS Laxman. The latter trio are on a valedictory trip that is surely their last to this country, Dravid making it memorable already via his insightful Bradman Oration in Canberra. He has been India's most accomplished batsman in 2011, having beaten the naysayers much as Tendulkar did when he emerged from a lean 2005-06. Sehwag's destructive capabilities are self-evident, while Laxman's penchant for Australian bowling is nothing short of legendary. Gautam Gambhir and Virat Kohli are able lieutenants, through Gambhir is overdue a century.

Opposing them is an Australia bowling ensemble that could be extremely effective, but may also be taken for plenty of runs. James Pattinson's fire and swing have given Michael Clarke the spearhead he needs, while Peter Siddle and Ben Hilfenhaus seem to be much improved on the versions of themselves that were milked around the MCG by England in last year's corresponding match. Most curious of all, however, is the matter of Nathan Lyon's fledgling spin. He is talented, and led adeptly by Clarke. But India have destroyed the world's finest slow bowlers as a matter of course, and shall seek to do the same to Lyon to place maximum pressure on a quartet of bowlers lacking the allround element of Shane Watson or Daniel Christian.

Form guide

Australia: LWWLD
India: DWWLL
Players to watch out for...

Shaun Marsh batted with enormous assurance in his first three Tests, until a back complaint rendered him lame for the second innings of the Cape Town Test against South Africa and kept him out of three further encounters. His combination of patience, sound judgement and firm stroke-play elevated him to No. 3 ahead of Ponting, and gave Australia a sense of calm at the fall of the first wicket. How much Marsh was missed became painfully clear in Hobart against New Zealand, necessitating his return for the MCG. Having shown he is striking the ball well enough in a Twenty20 appearance for the Perth Scorchers, Marsh must now push his back through the rigours of five days. A relapse would be disastrous.

Two previous tours of Australia have proven too taxing for Zaheer Khan, as injuries cruelled his progress each time. Smart, aggressive and skilful, Zaheer has all the toys required to unseat the best batsmen, and in India has ripped through Australia more than once, using swing and cagey variations in pace. But it is in Australia where the injuries have struck, and after an ankle surgery Zaheer must hold his body together if he is to make a critical contribution to this match, and this tour.

Team news

Cowan and Marsh replaced Phillip Hughes and Usman Khawaja, while Ben Hilfenhaus offers steady swing and long spells - two things Mitchell Starc struggled to provide either in consistent doses despite his undoubted promise.

Australia: 1 David Warner, 2 Ed Cowan, 3 Shaun Marsh, 4 Ricky Ponting, 5 Michael Clarke (capt), 6 Michael Hussey, 7 Brad Haddin (wk), 8 Peter Siddle, 9 James Pattinson, 10 Nathan Lyon, 11 Ben Hilfenhaus.

Ishant and Zaheer are fit to play, and India's batting appears settled. Ashwin is expected to claim the spin spot ahead of Ojha.

India(probable): 1 Virender Sehwag, 2 Gautam Gambhir, 3 Rahul Dravid, 4 Sachin Tendulkar, 5 Virat Kohli, 6 VVS Laxman, 7 MS Dhoni (capt, wk), 8 R Ashwin, 9 Zaheer Khan, 10 Ishant Sharma, 11 Umesh Yadav.

Pitch and conditions

As on Boxing Day last year, the MCG pitch will likely offer plenty of early life before simmering down later. On a surface not given to breaking up once the early life recedes, the first innings will be important to the outcome of the match.

Stats and trivia

Sachin Tendulkar needs a century to reach his 100th in international matches.
India have not won a Test series in Australia in nine attempts since their first visit in 1947-48. Three series, 1980-81, 1985-86 and 2003-04, have been drawn.
Ed Cowan is Australia's 10th Test debutant in 2011. This is the most since 1977, the year of defections to Kerry Packer's World Series Cricket.

Quotes
"I make no bones about it, we've had extra time as a batting unit because we know we've got to get better at facing the new ball if there's a bit in the wicket. We want to improve. We want to get better in that department of our game as batters. We've done the work though. That's all I can ask any of the boys for."
Michael Clarke believes his batsmen have addressed their frailties

"Last time we had one side game against Victoria team but it was rained out, so we directly went to a Test match without preparation. So we are quite happy with the way we have prepared. Also we are able to spend a lot of time together, especially with the one-day boys who have recovered from the tough schedule they had.

Courtesy of Cricindia

Last edited:
2 hours to go! OMG I'm excited for this series...action packed.

india are lousy for the 1st test generally. if they survive melbourne, they will win this series comfortably.

Looking forward to some good cricket

Zaheer khan is key for the test series if he gets injured India are finished

India need to start the series well and get the already struggling Aussies on the back foot straight away. Lets hope we get a cracking and competative series.

God who do you support in this...why on earth would anyone want to support either of these :p

Might watch this all night while finishing off some assignments. Don't know who to support though.

India in Australia is always great cricket. India usually up their game so it will be interesting to see how day 1 goes.

Don't know why Aus have dropped Khawaja and bought in someone new to test cricket in Cowan, is he any good?

Hilfun is a good move imo, he can nipp it both ways.

Love Boxing Day Tests in Australia, should be a good turnout too.

New generation of Australian players, their batting looks poor on paper but their bowling lineup is good, Pattinson a young prospect, tall (6ft 3) and will extract bounce. Interesting see how Indian batsmen cope with that and I'm sure there will be some sledging and tasty encounters :p

Speaking of which, what will the pitch be like at the MCG ?

Love Boxing Day Tests in Australia, should be a good turnout too.

New generation of Australian players, their batting looks poor on paper but their bowling lineup is good, Pattinson a young prospect, tall (6ft 3) and will extract bounce. Interesting see how Indian batsmen cope with that and I'm sure there will be some sledging and tasty encounters :p

Speaking of which, what will the pitch be like at the MCG ?

I doubt Aussies will produce a green seamer like last year where they got skittled for 98 on day 1 v England.

Aussies have collapsed alot in seaming conditions and i think they will aim for hard bouncy wickets which will help their seamers.

Shall be a cracking series.

These two teams always produce the goods in terms of entertainment.

Supporting Australia even though an Australia win won't benefit Pakistan rankings. Who will commentate?

Come on you Aussies!
...I mean Indians!
...I mean Aussies!
hmm

Don't know who to support.

Either way, hope it's an entertaining series.

Supporting Australia even though an Australia win won't benefit Pakistan rankings. Who will commentate?

The deadly duo of :raja :moakram

On a serious note, I think it'll be the Channel 9 commentators like Greig, Slater, Lawry, Ian Chappell (PP's favourite). Sky may have analysts in a UK studio, but will feed into the C9 coverage.

malcolmconn:
#cricket #ausvind Melbourne dawns wet and grey for Boxing Day Test but showers appear to have passed. Chance of on time start at 10.30am

Channel 9 do a good job.

Can't wait for--- Tony Greig----appeal-----Indian given not out----was out----no DRS. :))

Need a new signature for this series. :13:

malcolmconn:
#cricket #ausvind Melbourne dawns wet and grey for Boxing Day Test but showers appear to have passed. Chance of on time start at 10.30am

Just need India to bat first now :D

Not a bad toss to lose. The cherry should do a bit with early morning swirling Melbourne breeze.

Channel 9 do a good job.

Can't wait for--- Tony Greig----appeal-----Indian given not out----was out----no DRS. :))

Need a new signature for this series. :13:

lol he does make clear his disapproval of that blatant

I do not know who i am supporting but i would not mind seeing Indian trolls getting all defensive about their team :akhtar

Greig will be trolling the Indians all tour ! Wait until some jumped up 'Defenders of the Nation' teens and the Indian media start whining over some issue or another. Not all of you Indian fans, just some that make a big deal out of minor things :nasser : donkey

Last edited:
I will be trolling Greig on twitter to troll the Indians.

I just tweeted him " Merry Christmas Tony, did you buy the Indian team some hot-spot equipment this year?" :))

Looks to be decent bowling conditions, toss should be very interesting.

If we are going with 3 seamers, then there is really strong possibility, we might bowl first, which I thought wasn't going to happen initially.

Sky Sports showing a quick review of the Summer 4-0 Indian whitewash.

Can't wait, sky have got me in the mood by showing India get trashed. Hopefully the Aussies give them a hard time today.Purely for entertainment purposes I want to watch the Aussie quicks bowling first thing.

overcast conditions. Aussies batting 1st hmmmm...

Chance for India to make some early inroads here.

Australias top 3 lacks experience, then punter and hussey who are out of touch! So India should be happy with bowling 1st here.

Think Aussies should have bowled first, messed up my plan

Kohli gets the nod ahead of rohit sharma. Good move that.

Zaheer and Ishant will need to start off well here.

90/0 at lunch is my prediction.

I'll add Zaheer Khan breaking down too. :19:

Clarke could have bowled here and got the Indian batsmen jumping around, never mind.

Aus have inexperienced players at 1-3, good contest for them.

If we are going with 3 seamers, then there is really strong possibility, we might bowl first, which I thought wasn't going to happen initially.

hmmm

Surprised by Clarke's call. Looks like Aus. is confident. May be they want to put pressure on our bowling.

Zaheer Khan,Ishanth,Umesh are our bowlers.

Dada saying he has doubts on Zaheer's fitness

awsome weather , awsome condition , awsome skyports

Come on David Warner show us some classy :snack:

So how long before the stretcher is called for Zaheer?

zaheer will fancy bowling against 3 left handers at the top of the Aussie order.

Zaheer's fitness will be crucial in this test and the series. He was looking over-weight in England before he was injured.

Cowan did very well against Zak in practice matches, may be that prompted Clarke to go for batting!!?

Before you guys blast me you do realize that we have a good chance of becoming No 4 if Ind beat Aus 2-0 or more in this series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back