Australia vs Pakistan 2nd Test: The MCG pitch - lambs to the slaughter?

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
This article from SMH caught my eye:

Australia’s vaunted pace trio of Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood are on the verge of running down some of the great West Indies pace attacks of yesteryear, as MCG ground staff aim to produce another pitch with life in it for the quicks ahead of Boxing Day.

And off-spinner Nathan Lyon, just days after his 500 Test-wicket milestone, is on the cusp of another major landmark in partnership with the pace trio.

Cummins and his fellow quicks need 14 wickets – the equivalent of a big Boxing Day Test – to pass the fearsome Windies combination of Joel Garner, Michael Holding and Malcolm Marshall, who terrorised batters around the world for much of the 1980s.

Barring injury, the Australian triumvirate, with 318 victims from 26 Tests together, should pass another intimidating pace battalion in Marshall, Curtly Ambrose and Courtney Walsh (338 wickets together) either in Sydney against Pakistan or during the two-match series against the West Indies.

SMH

No matter how pace-friendly the MCG curators make it, I don't think it can get worse than day 4 at Perth. If we choose our XI better, i.e. Riz in for Sarfaraz and Mir Hamza / Noman Ali for Faheem, I think we'll have a much better shot of not embarrassing ourselves completely.

MCG pitch for 2022 world T20, one of the fastest i have ever seen there. I am not sure this is going to be as quick as that. But whether it is quick or bouncy you still have to know where your off stump is.

MCG pitch for 2022 world T20, one of the fastest i have ever seen there. I am not sure this is going to be as quick as that. But whether it is quick or bouncy you still have to know where your off stump is.

I fear Pak openers will do the snails pace thing here and we will lose out again.

Usually MCG wicket is very batting friendly but never know if they will make it extra bouncy to trouble Pakistani batsmen.

Hopefully I am wrong on this one but it appears it's going to be our Shaheens to the slaughter.

I fear Pak openers will do the snails pace thing here and we will lose out again.

Last time Pakistan did bat well. But Australia batted better. It was not enough for Pakistan to avoid innings defeat. It has to be a cominatbion of both

There is a coincidence between India and Pakistan. In 2016 Pakistan declared at 443/9 at the MCG. Australia responded with 624/8 and won by an innings. In 2018 India declared at the exact same score 443/7 at the MCG. Australia rolled over for 151 & 261.

I doubt Pak will even take a session. ACB should put them out of there misery make them carry there luggages as punishment make them walk/swim home truly a embarrassing team.

Isn't there some rain forecast for this match ? 🌧️

Yes, but it doesn't look so threatening. But fingers cross it helps us draw, and that it doesnt mean more overcast condions for Starc to destroy us faster!
FewzYJe.png

The MCG pitch against South Africa in 2022 was nasty. Both sides struggled with the pace and bounce in the wicket. Travis Head's batting was the difference.

Pakistan will get smashed on the same pitch.

I suspect few lambs at the slaughterhouse will fare better than this sorry Pakistani lineup at the MCG. It will be a comprehensive rout.

Yes, but it doesn't look so threatening. But fingers cross it helps us draw, and that it doesnt mean more overcast condions for Starc to destroy us faster!
FewzYJe.png

With such a team trust me we can't even draw a 3 day match against Australia. :D

I'm not really gonna have a go at pakistan batsmen they grow up playing tape ball and then move onto hardball on slow pitches where the ball barely goes over the knee roll they simply don't have the skillset and application to play against pace and bounce rabbits caught in the headlights.

We need to get lucky with the toss and get abrar back in for Agha.
We can't be too harsh on the batters after performing like that in the back of one tour innings
Most batters will have had 4 innings by the time we get to MCG, so I will be a lot less forgiving for this game.
We definitely needed a few more practice games

I'm not really gonna have a go at pakistan batsmen they grow up playing tape ball and then move onto hardball on slow pitches where the ball barely goes over the knee roll they simply don't have the skillset and application to play against pace and bounce rabbits caught in the headlights.
Rightly said. Pakistan and Australian conditions are polar opposites of each other. Pakistani pitches are the lowest bounce tracks in the world. It is completely opposite in Australia. This is the reason Pakistan has struggled the most in Australia. Otherwise they do fine in places like England.
Pakistan need to change pitches in domestics to evolve their batsmen to be better players in Australia.

hopefully Pakistan will pass double figure in both innings nothing else, as for Aussie attack have been emphasizing their importance from Day 1 of this tour, this attack has 1300+ Test wickets

Pakistan team is up against a trio of Cummins, Starc and Hazlewood and a legend spinner. Rain can save the day but not the whole test match. This team will get bowled out 2 times in 1 day.

The first side to bat on Boxing Day will face a daunting task, with the MCG curator eager to deliver a pitch with the same pace and bounce as two low-scoring Sheffield Shield clashes earlier this summer.

Pitch conditions Victoria’s top order batters described as “pretty juiced up” in their two fixtures before Christmas are set to be replicated for the Test match, with ground staff prioritising “exciting conditions”.

MCG curator Matt Page insisted he had no concerns about the rapid deterioration of the Perth Stadium pitch during the first Test last week, saying the conditions were vastly different in Melbourne.

With up to 20mm of rain forecast for Melbourne on Christmas Day, Page said his staff could leave it until the morning of the game to decide how much grass was left on the pitch, but the Shield games Victoria hosted against NSW and Queensland would provide a blueprint for his intended wicket.

“We’ve got totally different characteristics to Perth – our soil is not as high clay content, the weather is completely different,” Page said.

“For us, it’s all about focusing on what we need to do here to produce an exciting Test pitch.

“The Shield games are important for us in tweaking and finetuning what we’re going to do, and if we can get the pace and bounce like we’ve had in the Shield pitches, we’ll be very happy.”

Criticised more than five years ago for producing lifeless Test wickets, culminating in the drawn 2017 Ashes Test in which England captain Alastair Cook posted an unbeaten 244, Page’s team have made a pointed effort to give seam bowlers plenty to work with at the MCG in recent years.

Victoria’s second innings during the October Shield clash against NSW was the only score of more than 200 during the match as seam bowlers including Chris Tremain (8-82) were dominant in the conditions.

Batters again struggled in the Queensland game, as the winning captain at the toss opted to field in both that fixture and the NSW game, but Page said the conditions were close to exactly what he wanted to see in the Test match.

“I think in terms of pace and bounce, absolutely, that’s what we are trying to achieve for the Test pitch,” he said.

“(The NSW game) there was a bit in it, Queensland there was a bit in it too, but it went deep into the fourth day, so we’ve been happy with where we’ve been at.

“As much pace and bounce in it as we can get for Melbourne, a bit of seam movement, and then if we can get some footholds and bring the spinners in at the back end of the game, that will be job done for us and we’ll be pretty happy.”

MCC chief executive Stuart Fox said he hoped to see the total crowd top 180,000 over the five days but conceded the goal could be “a stretch”.

“I’ve got a target of 180,000 through the gates across the days. I’d love to see 70,000 through on day one,” Fox said.

“Obviously days one and two are pretty special here and often three as well.

“I’m here to sell hope, and I think history shows that day one and two are always pretty strong at the ‘G. It might be slightly down because of the contest, but I still think people will come.”

SOURCE: FOX CRICKET AUSTRALIA​

Pakistan's fast bowling attack is weak at the moment and will be difficult. But because of injures Jamal got his chance and if he can build on this Pakistan may have found a useful 3rd seamer which will enable them to move on from the likes of Faheem Ashraf and Hasan Ali. Once Naseem is fit an attack of Shaheen, Naseem and Jamal is quite useful. With others like Hasnain coming through too things may improve.

Pakistan's fast bowling attack is weak at the moment and will be difficult. But because of injures Jamal got his chance and if he can build on this Pakistan may have found a useful 3rd seamer which will enable them to move on from the likes of Faheem Ashraf and Hasan Ali. Once Naseem is fit an attack of Shaheen, Naseem and Jamal is quite useful. With others like Hasnain coming through too things may improve.
Hasnain has no control over line and length. He is just another Mohammad Sami.

The first side to bat on Boxing Day will face a daunting task, with the MCG curator eager to deliver a pitch with the same pace and bounce as two low-scoring Sheffield Shield clashes earlier this summer.

Pitch conditions Victoria’s top order batters described as “pretty juiced up” in their two fixtures before Christmas are set to be replicated for the Test match, with ground staff prioritising “exciting conditions”.

MCG curator Matt Page insisted he had no concerns about the rapid deterioration of the Perth Stadium pitch during the first Test last week, saying the conditions were vastly different in Melbourne.

With up to 20mm of rain forecast for Melbourne on Christmas Day, Page said his staff could leave it until the morning of the game to decide how much grass was left on the pitch, but the Shield games Victoria hosted against NSW and Queensland would provide a blueprint for his intended wicket.

“We’ve got totally different characteristics to Perth – our soil is not as high clay content, the weather is completely different,” Page said.

“For us, it’s all about focusing on what we need to do here to produce an exciting Test pitch.

“The Shield games are important for us in tweaking and finetuning what we’re going to do, and if we can get the pace and bounce like we’ve had in the Shield pitches, we’ll be very happy.”

Criticised more than five years ago for producing lifeless Test wickets, culminating in the drawn 2017 Ashes Test in which England captain Alastair Cook posted an unbeaten 244, Page’s team have made a pointed effort to give seam bowlers plenty to work with at the MCG in recent years.

Victoria’s second innings during the October Shield clash against NSW was the only score of more than 200 during the match as seam bowlers including Chris Tremain (8-82) were dominant in the conditions.

Batters again struggled in the Queensland game, as the winning captain at the toss opted to field in both that fixture and the NSW game, but Page said the conditions were close to exactly what he wanted to see in the Test match.

“I think in terms of pace and bounce, absolutely, that’s what we are trying to achieve for the Test pitch,” he said.

“(The NSW game) there was a bit in it, Queensland there was a bit in it too, but it went deep into the fourth day, so we’ve been happy with where we’ve been at.

“As much pace and bounce in it as we can get for Melbourne, a bit of seam movement, and then if we can get some footholds and bring the spinners in at the back end of the game, that will be job done for us and we’ll be pretty happy.”

MCC chief executive Stuart Fox said he hoped to see the total crowd top 180,000 over the five days but conceded the goal could be “a stretch”.

“I’ve got a target of 180,000 through the gates across the days. I’d love to see 70,000 through on day one,” Fox said.

“Obviously days one and two are pretty special here and often three as well.

“I’m here to sell hope, and I think history shows that day one and two are always pretty strong at the ‘G. It might be slightly down because of the contest, but I still think people will come.”

SOURCE: FOX CRICKET AUSTRALIA​
There is some rain forecast on game days as well I think , please check . The only conclusion which can be drawn from this article is that it will be a grassy surface & 6 to 8 mm of LIVE grass will ensure a result even if 50-70 overs are lost due to rain . Hope Khurram is replaced by Wasim Jnr & not that terrible Hassan & Agha by Nauman & if he is unfit , the new Offie who hopefully is in the squad as a bowler purely & not because he can bat a bit !You need 4 proper full time bowlers & a semi decent 5th bowling option .

There is some rain forecast on game days as well I think , please check . The only conclusion which can be drawn from this article is that it will be a grassy surface & 6 to 8 mm of LIVE grass will ensure a result even if 50-70 overs are lost due to rain . Hope Khurram is replaced by Wasim Jnr & not that terrible Hassan & Agha by Nauman & if he is unfit , the new Offie who hopefully is in the squad as a bowler purely & not because he can bat a bit !You need 4 proper full time bowlers & a semi decent 5th bowling option .
Incidentally , playing Sarfaraz over Rizwan in the 1st Test was a blunder & hopefully not repeated at MCG !

Incidentally , playing Sarfaraz over Rizwan in the 1st Test was a blunder & hopefully not repeated at MCG !
Blunder?

So Pakistan would have won at the Gabba if Rizwan played over Sarfaraz? Does this inclusion also give magical powers to Shan, Babar and Masood to stand and bat properly like Test match batsmen should?

Hopefully much the same': Pat Cummins wants a pace-friendly MCG pitch for Boxing Day Test​

Wiill a statement like this influence the selection of Pakistan? Will they go with Faheem again?

Last edited by a moderator:
The curator will attempt to create a pitch that extends into the third day. The first three days are special here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Green as it gets!

First look of the MCG pitch from Social Media:

GCFIBS8aUAAbIg2

In the upcoming Test match between Pakistan and Australia at the MCG, some interesting stats stand out. Pat Cummins, the Aussie bowler, has been really good at the MCG, averaging 19.92 with the ball.

Saud Shakeel's lowest Test score is 22, so he'll want to do better against Cummins. Marnus Labuschagne hasn't been as strong in Melbourne, averaging just 28, giving Pakistan a chance to challenge him.

Imam-ul-Haq has an average of 36 against Australia's main bowlers, which is decent. These stats make the upcoming match at the MCG even more exciting as both teams look to perform well.

Thunderstorms are predicted for Melbourne on tomorrow and its cloudy on Tuesday. Pak should pray to win the toss.

Most teams get slaughtered in Australia. Only South Africa and India generally can compete there (current Australia should beat both easily).

So, even if Pakistan lose badly, that wouldn't be something surprising.

Most teams get slaughtered in Australia. Only South Africa and India generally can compete there (current Australia should beat both easily).

So, even if Pakistan lose badly, that wouldn't be something surprising.

Current Australia is less inform than 2021 Australia. Warner is playing his last series. Smith/Labu nowhere close to their very best. Only headache is Head who was bounced out by India. Labu averages 35 this year. Smith 42. In 2021. Labu averaged 65. Smith 53.

Shan Masood speaking to reporters:

“We don’t want to force people to play a certain way but we’ve outlined a few things that we want to do better,”

“When Australia scored, they scored at 4.5 an over, even though we got the 10 wickets. They set us back with that. And then they bowled, they made sure we didn’t get over three runs an over. We were 2.6-2.7. Those are the margins. That’s where the Test match was lost [in Perth].”

Pat Cummins on the upcoming Boxing Day Test:

“It looks really good, fair bit of grass, probably a fair bit harder and not as green as last year, knowing it was potentially going to be under covers today and for a little bit tomorrow maybe, so we’ll see how it plays but it looks like a really good wicket.”

I have never seen a Pakistani fan so hopeful of a Pakistan failure - lagay raho Bhai
There are limits to injustice.

You all were on Sarfaraz’s case the moment he came back and played that Test match v New Zealand. Every day of Test cricket has been a balancing act on thin ice for the man since.

-Every little mistake of his was highlighted
-His body was shamed

Throughout my entire lifetime as a cricket fan I have never ever seen a player being mistreated and abused at such a sustained amount of length the way o have seen Sarfaraz mistreated for no valid reason. Enough is enough!

There are limits to injustice.

You all were on Sarfaraz’s case the moment he came back and played that Test match v New Zealand. Every day of Test cricket has been a balancing act on thin ice for the man since.

-Every little mistake of his was highlighted
-His body was shamed

Throughout my entire lifetime as a cricket fan I have never ever seen a player being mistreated and abused at such a sustained amount of length the way o have seen Sarfaraz mistreated for no valid reason. Enough is enough!

No one ever wanted Pakistan to lose

What you are hoping for is a Pakistan loss so you can comeback and claim you were right.

That really is sad but thankfully that's not "us", that's on you.

No one ever wanted Pakistan to lose

What you are hoping for is a Pakistan loss so you can comeback and claim you were right.

That really is sad but thankfully that's not "us", that's on you.
Pakistan can win now and you can all rub it in on me for hoping Australia wins. I don’t care anymore

I knew Pakistan were going to lose 3-0 but I wasn’t hoping for it, now I am hoping for it. Not going to be a hypocrite and say I want them to win. I don’t, and the reason is the sheer injustice.

Pakistan can win now and you can all rub it in on me for hoping Australia wins. I don’t care anymore

I knew Pakistan were going to lose 3-0 but I wasn’t hoping for it, now I am hoping for it. Not going to be a hypocrite and say I want them to win. I don’t, and the reason is the sheer injustice.

That's not being hypocrite at all

That is being someone who doesn't care about a Pakistan win!

Back