Did Pakistan take the right decision to rest Shaheen Shah Afridi for the 3rd Test against Australia at the SCG?

Did Pakistan taken the right decision to rest Shaheen Shah Afridi for the 3rd Test against Australi

• Total voters

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Pakistan have rested Shaheen Shah Afridi for the 3rd Test.

A few days ago, there was a news item (added below for ref) which had hinted at this but not it's confirmed.

Smart move or dumb idea, given that Pakistan seemed to be warming up to task of playing in Australia, or is this simply an admission that we are not likely to win the 3rd Test!

==

Pakistan pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi may be rested for the third and final Test against Australia in Sydney to manage his workload following the angry backlash the PCB faced after Khurrum Shahzad suffered a serious rib cage injury.

Pakistan lost the opening Test at Perth by 360 runs with debutant Shahzad taking five wickets but he also got injured in the process and was ruled out of the Melbourne (December 26) and Sydney (January 3) Tests.

Pakistan's strike bowler Afridi took just two wickets in Perth and the thinking is that, if the visitors also lose the Boxing Day Test, he will be rested for the final game in Sydney to keep him fresh for the crucial T20I series in New Zealand.

A source said that the team management wants to manage the workload of the pace bowlers, especially Afridi, as the T20 World Cup in the West Indies and the USA is less than six months away and the series against the Blackcaps will be crucial to their preparations.

"The backlash the board and management is facing over the handling of Khurrum's workload has set off panic buttons, plus the form of Shaheen has added to the concerns of the team management and selectors," the source said.

The source added that team officials and selectors had discussed Afridi's case with Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chief Zaka Ashraf.

"It is in the pipeline that if Shaheen doesn't do well in Melbourne Test and the team ends up on the losing side, he will be rested for the final Test so that he is fresh for the T20I series in New Zealand," the source said.

https://www.business-standard.com/c...tralia-to-manage-workload-123122200356_1.html

Last edited:
This is disgusting. The lad will play entire PSL season and meaningless T20s but not a New Year's Test which is part of World Test Championship and is also a chance for Pakistan to break a 16 year long wait to win a test in Australia?

They have 13 T20Is and PSL lined up before the T20 WC, he can be rested for some of those... Very easily. Does he have to play 50 T20s to be ready for the WC???

Pathetic decision and it shows why Pakistan are declining day by day in the world of cricket. They don't get their priorities right.

It would be really absurd to rest your prime bowler in a Test match against a top side like Australia even if the series is lost.
A consolation single Test win carries more significance than winning a T20 series.

Another nail in the coffin of test cricket. Premier fast bowler resting for tests but leading his team in T20s.

Not sure what you guys are on about. This is an incredibly intelligent decision from once by the PCB think tank.

Shaheen is not a machine. He is not going to sit out any of the t20s we play this year as his now the captain. We have nothing to gain from this last test, we prob had a 0.1 percent chance of winning anyways. It's best for him to rest, recover and strategise for the NZ series.

The ground traditionally is spinner friendly and unforgiving for Pacers. So their is a tactical decision involved as well.

Not sure what you guys are on about. This is an incredibly intelligent decision from once by the PCB think tank.

Shaheen is not a machine. He is not going to sit out any of the t20s we play this year as his now the captain. We have nothing to gain from this last test, we prob had a 0.1 percent chance of winning anyways. It's best for him to rest, recover and strategise for the NZ series.

The ground traditionally is spinner friendly and unforgiving for Pacers. So their is a tactical decision involved as well.

Yes that blockbuster T20I series against New Zealand.

We were told by all experts that Pakistan bowlers are bowling better and seem well adjusted now.

So, when we have a good thing going, we have a chance of WTC points by winning at the SCG, we decide to rest SSA as if we are the ones leading 2-0!

We were told by all experts that Pakistan bowlers are bowling better and seem well adjusted now.

So, when we have a good thing going, we have a chance of WTC points by winning at the SCG, we decide to rest SSA as if we are the ones leading 2-0!
Absolutely right! Then why don't Aussies rest Starc and their top performers, after all they have already won the series?

The PCB has always been the prime culprit in undermining the prestige of Test Cricket. Give it 6-month to a year and Pakistan will actually become like the West Indies cricket - another dysfunctional board with constant clashes between management and players and which beyond T20, can’t compete.

We are witnessing the death of Pakistan Cricket in slow motion.

It’s about time.

He needs a few months off if anything. Never got the right rehab after his knee surgery.

Needs proper rehab for the next few months and slowly build his speed back up behind the scenes. There’s no rocket science to why his speed dropped.

He needs to rest for a year not just one test he’s finished as he’s been burnt to the ground

He needs to rest for a year not just one test he’s finished as he’s been burnt to the ground
He is a professional and must think for himself rather than depend on the advices of the PCB and coaching staff. Looks like he is not a thinking cricketer. Too much 'josh' but no 'hosh'.

T20s are more important this year because it's leading upto a WC.

We weren't going to win at the SCG regardless. Shaheen has already bowled 100 overs in this series. We can't keep pushing him until he breaks down again.

Yes he definitely needs rest because "PSL" is on the cards 🤦🤦🤦
Absolutely and the PSL is more important than test cricket this year because the T20 WC is only 6 months.

Shaheen should be completely focussed on T20 cricket for the next six months.

T20s are more important this year because it's leading upto a WC.

We weren't going to win at the SCG regardless. Shaheen has already bowled 100 overs in this series. We can't keep pushing him until he breaks down again.
We already play a dozen or even more T20s every year. It's not that after the WC in June we would be playing more Tests and a handful of T20s. Let's see after all this do we still reach the semis.

This is a shocking decision. Unbelievably embarrassing how a team that is down 0-2 is resting its key player while the one with an unassailable lead is playing full strength.

Poor stuff by Pakistan. This test will be difficult to watch. That bowling lineup looks harmless.

This is a shocking decision. Unbelievably embarrassing how a team that is down 0-2 is resting its key player while the one with an unassailable lead is playing full strength.

Poor stuff by Pakistan. This test will be difficult to watch. That bowling lineup looks harmless.
It shows that Pakistan never took this series against Australia seriously. In fact they don't take Test Cricket seriously.
They are a team in the same league as West Indies, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh and want to remain there.

How many cricket teams have their main test bowler as T20i captain?

We are being silly if we expect the PCB to rest him from the side that he is captain of. It is quite clear what Shaheens and the PCB's priorities are.

I would have more sympathy for this move if he hadn’t spent ages playing in meaningless T20 leagues. For goodness sake, he even appeared in the Hundred which is pretty Mickey Mouse.

It is another example of Pakistan accepting it is a minnow cricketing country, who can only compete in the shortest format of the game (in which there is the greatest element of luck). As the game get progressively longer (50 over, and then Tests) they simply can’t complete.

Does anyone really care about winning the T20 World Cup — it’s like winning the Carabao cup in football.

maybe now Rauf will receive a little respect from some of the fans for not touring

Play Shaheen, pcb is criticised. Rest him, they are still criticised. Pcb must be wondering what they have to do to escape criticism.

The best part is pcb deserves every bit of it :wahab

They share the major part of responsibility for running Shaheen into the ground.

Shaheen has bowled 100 overs in the series. Next closest is Lyon with only 70!

If any bowler needs the rotation, it is Shaheen. Aussie quicks haven't had large workloads.
It's not Australia's fault that they have always dismissed Pakistan cheaply for less than 300.

He's been overbowled thanks to no proper 5th bowler we've been using the part time agha.

The 5th bowler ideally a spinner should have bowled much more .

More like he's been dropped
Was rubbish on the first test, mir hamza taught him how to bowl on the pitch on the second test

Can't keep putting youngsters in the team unless there's an imran or akram to guide them

I d drop him and play wasim junior. Wont mind dropping saud for abrar either as saud doesnt seem like scoring anything in aus or maybe scg can be the place for him to make smth out this tour.

Shaheen should be rested. And rested for t20s too. Then play psl. Simple.

Imagine a restaurant. There is a drive-through at the front with a large M sign at the front; the staff are all wearing uniforms with M signs on them and have been trained to produce fast food.

Why would you be surprised when you walk into the restaurant and see fish or fillets and chicken burgers on the menu?

Surely, you would be the silly one if you expected to walk in and order gourmet steak.

That's the reality of the PCB and PCT. They still occasionally pretend to care about fine dining, some of the customers ( as fans) still pretend to care too...but we are all better of being real with ourself and just enjoy the burgers without pretence.

Why's it a crucial T20 series ? The result will be forgotten as soon as the last ball is bowled.
It will have more viewership in Pakistan than the Aus test series ( just a guess).

Would you rather have a forgotten series that people watch at the time or a series that is remembered in scorecards by nerds but very few actually watched?

He is a professional and must think for himself rather than depend on the advices of the PCB and coaching staff. Looks like he is not a thinking cricketer. Too much 'josh' but no 'hosh'.
When PCB left it to him, he decided to risk his knee post surgery in a t20 tournament in 2022. Where all it took was a slight tumble in the final for him to re injure it again. Reports said it was his decision to play. There was no pressure from PCB. He could’ve healed up just like Bumrah who sat out of that tournament.

So yeah, let’s not leave it to him. Glad PCB finally took action. He’s already done the “I’m tough, I need no rest” shtick, there’s nothing to prove nor any reason to risk himself .

Terrible.

He was finally getting his rhythm back and we as a team were looking competitive.

We could have won at the SCG, but without Shaheen I expect us to lose confidence and get rolled over.

Not to mention his replacement is a third rate spinner when instead we needed a swing bowler in the expected overcast conditions.

Good Decision. The match is a dead rubber. He should also have been rested from the NZ T20 series. Even in the PSL he should not play every game. He should be compensated for avoiding T20 leagues this year.

Yes he definitely needs rest because "PSL" is on the cards 🤦🤦🤦
Look, we can’t avoid the fact that the PCB desperately needs all its stars available for the sake of the brand.

On paper it’s a meaningless pyjama series but fundamentally it’s a crucial earning platform for the only board that doesn’t get to play India.

Most overs bowled in 2023 -

1.) Pat Cummins - 363.1 overs in 28 inning

2.) Shaheen Afridi - 340 overs in 29 innings

3.) Mitchell Starc - 313.1 overs in 24 innings

The next highest number of overs bowled by an Asian player is Siraj at No. 6 with 246 overs bowled in 2023, that's almost 100 overs less than Shaheen.

Considering that he has just recently come back from an injury we can safely conclude that the PCB has overbowled him this year, just like they did every year since his debut. They are trying to turn a strike bowler into a workhorse.

Why's it a crucial T20 series ? The result will be forgotten as soon as the last ball is bowled.

It has become ‘crucial’ mainly because he has been anointed captain and no chance in hell will he not play that series following the operation to oust Babar from the leadership.

This was precisely why I raised him being considered as an option for captaincy as a concern.

I fear given PCB’s thinking model, the leadership may add to Shaheen’s work load or we will find ourselves in a situation where he will be playing fewer Tests.

In the ideal world we should be rotating our fast bowlers but options are thin and Shaheen has been tasked to carry the attack / found rhythm in the last Test, so I’d liked to have seen him play that but with Shan using his astutely in quick sharp bursts. But then rested for T20 hungama, but no chance in hell that it would happen now that he is captain and the PSL is his pay check.

Good Decision. The match is a dead rubber. He should also have been rested from the NZ T20 series. Even in the PSL he should not play every game. He should be compensated for avoiding T20 leagues this year.
No test match is a dead rubber.

pathetic decision. Resting a premier bowler for an important test match. Yes it's a dead rubber but we still have WTC points on the line.

Terrible.

He was finally getting his rhythm back and we as a team were looking competitive.

We could have won at the SCG, but without Shaheen I expect us to lose confidence and get rolled over.

Not to mention his replacement is a third rate spinner when instead we needed a swing bowler in the expected overcast conditions.
I've no idea how is Sajid his replacement? Lol
He's a pathetic spinner. I'd have gone with Wasim.

Absolutely and the PSL is more important than test cricket this year because the T20 WC is only 6 months.

Shaheen should be completely focussed on T20 cricket for the next six months.
No point in arguing with someone who thinks PSL is more important than a test vs Aus in Australia

I think the bigger picture is, T20 WC vs a dead rubber test match
Exactly what I wanted to say. Also does it really matter if Shaheen plays the test? What we will lose by 280 runs instead of 240 now that Shaheen isn't playing. No big deal.

He should've been selected for 3rd Test.

Since this is WTC, there is no dead rubber.

I think the bigger picture is, T20 WC vs a dead rubber test match
A test win in Australia is more important than anything else at this moment . Pakistan has embarassing losing streak and they thinking about a useless T20 series. No wonder talk about Australia not invite Pakistan team were/ are circulating .

There's no way we're winning this third test with or without him, good call to rest him

The right call to rest him
He has needed a break for a while now, and he's not going to get that in a slew of t20s where he is the captain

For once, the right decision has been made!

He has just been appointed the T20 captain, so he can't skip those and the PSL is his bread and butter.

Tests are very demanding on the body for a fast bowler.

I think he was overbowled at the MCG. 54 overs in the space of 3 days and a bit. There was one extended spell of 10 overs. It seems more like he became totally wasted after the Test. It is always a challenge for any fast bowler to bowl at the SCG right after boxing day Test as there is hardly any break. Although Pakistan gained an extra day as the game was over on 4th day still you get a gap of only 3 days.

Rested from test cricket so that he is fit and rested to lead rana and aqib service?

Last edited by a moderator:
PCB and sensibility - oxymorons

Just a few weeks back, lambasted Haris Rauf publicly for playing T20s and not Test cricket. Today, resting Shaheen from Test cricket so that he can focus on the T20 series. 👏

Playing a proper 3 match Test series is too much for some of these newbies. Back in the good old days bowlers used to bowl a lot more in Tests plus play the 3 day tour games as well.
Check out how many overs Akram bowled in the 1992 tour of England - 4 Tests plus county games in almost 4 months.

Playing a proper 3 match Test series is too much for some of these newbies. Back in the good old days bowlers used to bowl a lot more in Tests plus play the 3 day tour games as well.
Check out how many overs Akram bowled in the 1992 tour of England - 4 Tests plus county games in almost 4 months.
How many overs did waqar bowl between 92 and 99

How many overs did waqar bowl between 92 and 99
I'm talking about Akram and a complete tour. Well, Waqar would surely have bowled more than the bowlers of today considering he was also playing full seasons with Surrey and Glamorgan.

I'm talking about Akram and a complete tour. Well, Waqar would surely have bowled more than the bowlers of today considering he was also playing full seasons with Surrey and Glamorgan.
47 tests in 9 years?

Sounds like 5 tests a year

Main bowlers should be rested during bilateral T20 and ODI games. They can be rested for Tests against weaker teams also.

Resting him for a Test against Australia is probably not a good decision. This is a WTC and Pakistan are looking to avoid a whitewash.

I think he picked up a niggle something TM is probably hiding or he himself said he could not go through another 50 over spell as pitch is likely to be flat. Think about it. Pakistan bowled 181 overs in 2 innings. 54 of the overs were bowled by Shaheen. That is about 30%. This is an imbalanced workload management. Usually work horse bowlers or spinners higher percentage of load. Shaheen has become a work horse now for this side.

Shaheen 30%
Mir Hamza 22%
Hasan Ali 22%
Amir Jamal 20%
Agha salman 6%

47 tests in 9 years?

Sounds like 5 tests a year
Just checked that he bowled 441 overs in some 14 first-class games in the 1997 championship which Glamorgan won. Now this doesn't include the List A games in the B&H Cup and the NatWest Trophy. Might be above 500 overs. All this in 4 months.
440 overs is like 100 T20 games in 4 months. And in England in those days they used to play cricket 5/6 days a week.
Just giving my opinion, Bro.

Good decision. SCG is the flattest pitch for fast bowlers. Shaheen will be down to 75 mph if he keeps bowling.

It's a dead rubber Test match . The series is over and there's absolutely no point flogging your main fast bowler when he's already averaging 40 + on the tour.

Just checked that he bowled 441 overs in some 14 first-class games in the 1997 championship which Glamorgan won. Now this doesn't include the List A games in the B&H Cup and the NatWest Trophy. Might be above 500 overs. All this in 4 months.
440 overs is like 100 T20 games in 4 months. And in England in those days they used to play cricket 5/6 days a week.
Just giving my opinion, Bro.
Mushtaq ahmed probably did double that while playing for Sussex but we're not talking about domestic cricket

Would you call shoaib akhtar fitter than shaheen considering his spells with kkr and english counties?

Mushtaq ahmed probably did double that while playing for Sussex but we're not talking about domestic cricket

Would you call shoaib akhtar fitter than shaheen considering his spells with kkr and english counties?
Bro, bowling is bowling be it in an international or domestic match. It takes a lot on a bowler's body and for that he has to be fit.

My whole point is that bowlers of yesteryears used to bowl a lot more especially on tours which besides the Tests also included 3/4 day side games. How many first-class 3/4 days games has Shaheen played in the last two years? In country cricket alone a bowler used to play 15-17 first- class games not including List A games.

Bro, bowling is bowling be it in an international or domestic match. It takes a lot on a bowler's body and for that he has to be fit.

My whole point is that bowlers of yesteryears used to bowl a lot more especially on tours which besides the Tests also included 3/4 day side games. How many first-class 3/4 days games has Shaheen played in the last two years? In country cricket alone a bowler used to play 15-17 first- class games not including List A games.
So u want shaheen to bowl more overs so he can become fitter
Do you think bumrah is unfit as well?

Regarding Shoaib, he was an express 95+ mph bowler. Can't compare him with Shaheen who is now not even fast. Plus, due to biomechanics he was always injury prone. Flat foot, bad knees etc. I think he played just one season of County cricket and that too near the end of his career.

So u want shaheen to bowl more overs so he can become fitter
Do you think bumrah is unfit as well?
It may sound shocking to you, but yes, Shaheen has to play more 4 day cricket and retire from both the shorter formats, if he wants to be in the class of Akram , Donald, Ambrose and others. Unfortunately that's not possible in this day and age and our coaching staff is also pathetic in taking care of him. But he has to play some 4 day games at least in the home season.

By bowling many overs a bowler strengthen his bowling muscles and gets into a rythum and perfects his skills. Bowling spells of 2 overs in T20 would in which your main priority is stopping the flow of runs would not make you into a great bowler.

India takes care of Bumrah despite him having an injury prone action. They don't play him in each T20 or ODI game. Yes, he got injured like all bowlers do but since his return from injury he hasn't lost his effectiveness. Btw, im sure you know that Bumrah also plays India's domestic 4 day competition.

It's all about prioritizing the longer formats (Tests and first-class) than the shorter formats.

Good decision. SCG is the flattest pitch for fast bowlers. Shaheen will be down to 75 mph if he keeps bowling.

It's a dead rubber Test match . The series is over and there's absolutely no point flogging your main fast bowler when he's already averaging 40 + on the tour.

This. It was an easy decision and the hoo haa being done just shows you can't please everyone.

I get it from both sides tbh. If PCB managed Shaheen's workload better and not foolishly named your premier bowler to be T20 captain, then Shaheen would be playing the last Test match and playing the odd game vs NZ. But instead, they played in Afghanistan series just before Asia cup, let him play against Nepal and he looked pretty worn out through the WC. He's a bowled a ton in this series too and the rest is justified.

You can say he should be resting vs NZ series but that's exactly the problem PCB placed themselves in. Naming Shaheen to be your T20 captain is beyond stupid because now you have to play him in T20's and he is a must in Test & ODI's as well. So now, there is very minimal breathing room for Shaheen to get any rest. It won't happen in PSL either so now you are resting him in important Test matches when Pakistan already play few as it is.

The resting decision is sensible but it's a predicament PCB put themselves in. If you didn't name him captain for T20's, you wouldn't find yourself in this situation.

The people complaining are the same dudes who then complain about us having trundlers, 125 kph phenoms etc.

This man used to average 140-145 kph pre injury. This is how you preserve genuine fast bowlers. Through rotation and cycles.

Yes, had he been rotated sensibly the last 2 years, he’d be playing the test rn. But PCB gave him freedom of choice, and he chose awfully wrong about which games to prioritize.

What's the priority for the player and the Board?

T20Is, PSL, ODIs? Over Tests.

Call me old fashioned but for me Test cricket always was and always will be the priority.

I don't think it is a matter of priority. Shaheen has bowled 100 odd overs in the first two tests (next is Lyon with 70 overs). With a short turnaround between the last two tests, it was obvious that he should have been rested no matter if there was any further cricket coming up or not.

He shouldn’t have even played the test series. We just want our best bowlers to play test cricket, but mostly they are just playing their weaker suit, getting injuries, bowling slower to avoid injuries or not even wanting to really play. Shaheen‘s body can’t really handle all 3 formats, and I’m sure after a while he will only play LOI anyway.

Play the actual guys who are dominating in first class domestic. Guys who actually want to play and are capable bowling long periods without injuries. Maybe they’re a bit less naturally talented otherwise they would play LOI. But they will have a desire to play and improve, and will have refined their skills in tests more. We saw that with Abbas. Even before that our best test bowler was Asif, who was more of a test specialist. And it just allows us to manage the workload of all our bowlers better, and pick up less injuries.

Shaheen explaining his decision not to play today, insinuating he wants to be fresh for the T20 WC: "I played two games, and a lot of overs to be honest. They're just managing my workload, the medical team and team management decided to take a rest for this (Test)."

Back