Shaheen Shah Afridi appointed T20I captain for Pakistan

The biggest negative of it is that Shaheen will continue to burn down his body like charcoal playing every single useless t20. No concept of resting untill you physically cannot walk on the pitch.

I'm a big fan of Shaheen however for him to accept this role is career suicide. He shouldn't be playing in every meaningless bilateral T20I. I fear he'll be another Pakistani pacer who'll miss out on 200 test wickets just like all the bowlers that have debuted for Pakistan since 1990.

PCB showcasing themselves as clowns yet again.

The biggest negative of it is that Shaheen will continue to burn down his body like charcoal playing every single useless t20. No concept of resting untill you physically cannot walk on the pitch.
It's more likely he will rest from tests than T20.

He has already played as many Tests as his father-in-law did.

I have always been a fan of fast bowlers turned captains, based on the likes of Wasim Akram and now Pat Cummins. I am optimistic that under Shaheen Shah Afridi's captaincy, we will at least qualify for the semi-finals in the T20 World Cup 2024 in the USA. I reckon that, probably after the tour of New Zealand, Shaheen Shah Afridi will also be appointed as the ODI captain.

Hopefully now that Shaheen is made captain he won't play any other t20 leagues around the world.

We have had great success in the past with IK as captain. Bowling captain. Let's hope shaheen delivers. Need a thinking captain

In case Shaheen gets injured( God forbid) who is the vice captain for Pakistan T20 sqaud

We have had great success in the past with IK as captain. Bowling captain. Let's hope shaheen delivers. Need a thinking captain
I feel the same, we have more success with a bowler as a captain, anyone batsman captain becomes a passenger in the team as their batting form dips a lot. Not sure if there is an exception but I feel bowler, all rounder, wk captain are better for us than a batsman captain.

I feel the same, we have more success with a bowler as a captain, anyone batsman captain becomes a passenger in the team as their batting form dips a lot. Not sure if there is an exception but I feel bowler, all rounder, wk captain are better for us than a batsman captain.
And also need someone who will make those tough decisions. Who will not pick favourites.

He’s got a 3 year contract with Desert Vipers in some league
Well it should be part of the contracts but they should be payed more if they are not allowed to play in other leagues.

Shaheen Shah Afridi's upcoming mega assignment is ICC T20I World Cup 2024

And Shaheen has played just 2 T20Is in West Indies and has taken only 1 wicket at econ of 10.66.

What a silly move to make him captain. Instead of having him rehab and get to his best for bigger formats we waste him on this stuff.

Had to be from the status quota

Imad should have been the captain in 2019, and amends could have been made in 2023. Alas

Shahid Afridi while speaking on a local news channel, addressed speculations about his alleged role in making Shaheen Shah Afridi the T20 captain:

“I always have been in the favor of Mohammad Rizwan. I swear, I never talked about making Shaheen the captain, nor did I ever lobby. I am not involved in these things. I don't have to, and I don't like it either."

"I said that Babar should not be removed from the captaincy. I wanted to keep Shaheen away from the captaincy. It has to happen; this is what happens to the captain in the end."​

Shahid Afridi speaking during a charity event in Australia:

“The hard work and focus level of this boy were admirable. The best thing about him was that he focused on his work, regardless of what others were doing. I really liked this about him. He is a tough fighter. I wanted him to be the captain in T20, but Shaheen Shah Afridi became the captain. I personally like Haris Rauf, although I like all of them. The quality of Haris Rauf is that he has a very strong character. He does not lose courage quickly.”​

Like Naseem we are waiting for Shaheen to get injured. If they can't rest him for meaningless T20's, PSL and other cartoon leagues then when would we give him a rest....on his retirement?
These jokers in PCB have not learned anything by making him the T20 captain.

Shahid Afridi speaking during a charity event in Australia:

“The hard work and focus level of this boy were admirable. The best thing about him was that he focused on his work, regardless of what others were doing. I really liked this about him. He is a tough fighter. I wanted him to be the captain in T20, but Shaheen Shah Afridi became the captain. I personally like Haris Rauf, although I like all of them. The quality of Haris Rauf is that he has a very strong character. He does not lose courage quickly.”​
This was more of a fun chat rather than something serious. It was a charity event so I am not expecting any controversy here. It was just a fun chat and should be taken like fun.

Fakhar Zaman in his pre game presser ahead of 1st T20I vs NZ:

About coordination with Shaheen as a captain:

"Absolutely, when Shaheen joined Lahore Qalandars in 2018, we have been together since then, and I have seen him groom. The way he has carried himself and then when he got the captaincy, I have said this before, he has proved many people wrong who thought he couldn’t captain. Because every match that he has played, there was improvement. I hope that the way he has captained Lahore Qalandars and won a cup, he will take it forward because I know that there is a lot of difference between franchise cricket and international cricket. But he has leadership qualities, and I hope that he will win as many matches as possible for Pakistan.”

As Babar Azam has stepped down from all three formats, PCB has appointed Shaheen Shah Afridi as the new T20I captain.

Are you happy with this decision by PCB? Can Pakistan be a successful side in T20Is under Shaheen's captaincy?

View attachment 139144

==

Shan Masood appointed Test and Shaheen Shah Afridi T20I captain

Lahore, 15 November 2023:

The PCB has appointed Shan Masood as the Test captain of Pakistan Men’s Cricket Team, while Shaheen Shah Afridi has been named T20I captain.

34-year-old Shan has featured in 30 Tests, scoring 1,597 runs, which includes four centuries and seven half-centuries.

Shan has been appointed captain till the end of the ICC World Test Championship 2023-25. Shan’s first assignment as captain will be a three-match Test series against Australia in Australia starting from 14 December.

Meanwhile, left-arm pacer Shaheen Shah will lead Pakistan Men’s Team in the T20I format and his first assignment as captain will be the five-match T20I series in New Zealand from 12 to 21 January. 23-year-old Shaheen has bagged 64 wickets in 52 T20Is. Shaheen has also captained Lahore Qalandars in HBL PSL and has helped the side win the tournament twice in two years in the 2022 and 2023 editions.

Shan and Shaheen were appointed captains after Babar Azam today stepped down from all three formats of the game. Pakistan’s captain in the ODI format will be announced in due course.
Shaheen is a fantastic player and he deserves it

Last edited by a moderator:
After winning the 5th T20I against New Zealand, Shaheen Shah Afridi in the end of the series presser:

"We are all trying to do good for Pakistan and thinking about what we can do better for Pakistan. There is no such player here, or there is no such person in team management who thinks that Pakistan should lose. Here, everyone has come to win. Sometimes, as I said, you don’t get results right away. You have to lose something to gain something, and as a unit, we have tried to give some players a chance to play. We have talked with everyone with clarity about what is better for him. We have taken advice from everyone, and because of that, we finalized our playing 11. All things have been done with advice. It is not that only my advice was on which all things have been done or only Rizwan’s was. Some things were not good in what we have done, and some were good, but the things that have gone well, we will try to use those learnings in the future."

"I can only say that as a player, I also try to do my best for Pakistan. If any player asks for advice, then I absolutely give it. I always want to be with the players like a friend. When you are not a captain, you stay within yourself. But when you become a captain, you have to take all the players together. So, my effort is to communicate well with every player and help them improve their performance. I think of this team as a family, so I keep everyone together like a family."

Pakistan's star opening wicketkeeper-batsman, while talking to a sports website, said:

“He [Shaheen Afridi] is a very good captain, and I have seen him in Lahore Qalandars and other teams where I was his teammate. He is the kind of player who neither loses his heart nor courage till the end of a game."

“In the recent past against New Zealand, we scored 228, 220, and we lost the match. And in the last game, we made about 135 runs, and it looked like they would chase it down in 12 overs. But when Shaheen came down to the huddle, he said that we have to win this game and show the world. And this is a unique quality that he possesses – he does not lose his courage at any stage of his game.”

Pakistan T20I captain Shaheen Shah Afridi, during an interview with an international sports channel:

"I have not captained at any age level, really, maybe once at Under-19 level."

"I never even had an interest in captaincy. But then in 2021, I was sitting in the PM office with Sameen bhai [Lahore Qalandars owner and Aqib Javed, and Imran Khan [then Pakistan Prime Minister] suggested that I be appointed captain. Obviously, you can never say no to Imran bhai. After that I became captain of Lahore. I was vice-captain, but when Imran bhai said I should be captain, that's when the change happened."

"When we won the title in 2022, I went to meet Imran bhai and told him 'at least we've now won one title!' And I thanked him at the time for showing faith in me. That's when my captaincy started, until then I had no interest. Imran said most great fast bowlers have been captains because fast bowlers have the authority to set fields and they understand other fast bowlers, concerning what they need and what they're going through. Those few nuggets of wisdom from him were very valuable to me, and I'd like to give him full credit for it."

Last edited:
The new PCB administration under Mohsin Naqvi is not convinced about Shaheen being captain in the limited overs formats. So far LQ are having a shocking season and if things don't improve, he might be stripped off the captaincy for the Pakistani team.

Who should they have bowled?
Maybe keep your death bowlers for the end?

Doesn't need a genius to figure it out.

Btw, Bhatti bowled bowled a good 1st over, so why didn't he bowl another after that?

Pretty poor captaincy.

Looks like a rabbit in the headlights so far at PSL9.

Poor decisions, poor tactics and looks all at sea.

@Markhor Has he provided enough of an alternate buzz for those lapsed from Babar’s captaincy 🤔😅😭

This is mind boggling, you have to be a decent-ish captain, even with great players to win 2 back to back domestic tournaments.

This is mind boggling, the brain fade from his tactics.

Is it the pressure and responsibility of being the new leader which has caused him to lose all his marbles, or is it that he has always been poor / protected by others or a bit of both; either way it’s puzzling.

Going into the WC on this form is going to dent his confidence for sure

This is mind boggling, you have to be a decent-ish captain, even with great players to win 2 back to back domestic tournaments.

This is mind boggling, the brain fade from his tactics.

Is it the pressure and responsibility of being the new leader which has caused him to lose all his marbles, has always been poor / protected by others or a bit of both; either way it’s puzzling.

Going into the WC on this form is going to dent his confidence for sure

He never had the maturity or experience to be captain at this stage.

Management are now left to make a big call.

It’s either continue showing faith with Shaheen and hope he figures it out, or be ruthless and appoint Rizwan as the better man for the job.

He never had the maturity or experience to be captain at this stage.

Management are now left to make a big call.

It’s either continue showing faith with Shaheen and hope he figures it out, or be ruthless and appoint Rizwan as the better man for the job.

The regime wanted a break from Babar / Riz so gave him a shot, otherwise I think Riz would have got it.

Am not sure but there may be a new management team in place yet again so wholesale changes again are not far off?

Shaheen deserves a shot but he is not helping himself

The regime wanted a break from Babar / Riz so gave him a shot, otherwise I think Riz would have got it.

Am not sure but there may be a new management team in place yet again so wholesale changes again are not far off?

Shaheen deserves a shot but he is not helping himself

Yeah it was clear the closeness with Babar was the reason they didn’t go for Rizwan. But the options are so thin on the ground that Shaheen was flung into the role before he was ever ready for it.

It’s obvious that Shaheen isn’t coping so the one caveat may be that he chooses to stand down himself.

Otherwise it would be harsh to sack him after just 1 international assignment against a world class team at home.

But if the management are serious about the WT20 they may need to be ruthless.

Rizwan is the best white ball captain in Pakistan and a lock for the XI so it’s a tough call.

Hard to be sympathic with Shaheen, plenty of video evidence from the 2023 ODI WC in India where Shaheen was misbehaving with Babar in the Afghanistan game. Now Shaheen knows that captaincy is not a bed of roses.

Rizwan should be captain. Shaheen is not captain material. He looked good when Fakhar and Rauf were in red hot form in previous PSL's. But when the chips are down, he looks clueless.
Rizwan is making good of whatever meagre resources he has.

@Markhor Has he provided enough of an alternate buzz for those lapsed from Babar’s captaincy 🤔😅😭
From the frying pan into the fire.

If Babar could stink the joint out for 4 years then we gotta at least give Shaheen a chance to learn. So far he hasn't given much encouragement.

From the frying pan into the fire.

If Babar could stink the joint out for 4 years then we gotta at least give Shaheen a chance to learn. So far he hasn't given much encouragement.

He deserves a go but I had my reservations long before his appointment due to his own fitness and the nature of the PCB set up. But my expectations were a bit higher after his PSL wins, it’s a huge concern to see how he has lost the plot from the NZ series. Babar got heat, however I don’t think Pakistan fans will accept anything less than a semi final spot in the WC at the minimum, certainly the learning ought to stop before then

SHaheen has looked totally off-color in this edition. His players could not fire up when he needed them the most. Rashid Khan was also not here, who would control the middle overs for them where they were struggling this time. I think he won the previous 2 editions because he had a good team and mostly all of them were doing good as well.

Shadab Khan backs Shaheen Afridi to continue as T20 captain of team Pakistan:

"Even now, look, we've given Shaheen a series, and we're contemplating changing his captaincy. It shouldn't be like this because in the long term, one should be given a chance to captain properly according to his process, his method. Because we want to experiment, win series as well, which could lead to issues,"

"Things can't change immediately"

"Whenever you bring someone in, things can't change immediately. It takes time. We want many things to change immediately, but that's not how it works; it's a process. In this process, there are mostly failures in the beginning, and it's important to see how we accept those failures,"

"A captain has his own thought process, and right now, it's unclear because discussions about changing the captain after just one series. With the World Cup, I think we need to identify players for the long run so that by the time we reach the World Cup, our issues are resolved,"

During the press conference, PCB Chairman Mohsin Naqvi stated that the decision regarding Shaheen Afridi's continuation as T20I captain will be determined by the selection committee following the conclusion of the national camp in Kakul on April 8.

During the press conference, PCB Chairman Mohsin Naqvi stated that the decision regarding Shaheen Afridi's continuation as T20I captain will be determined by the selection committee following the conclusion of the national camp in Kakul on April 8.
Don’t get it,

Is there a possibility that the selection committee might determine his performance at an Army camp to be below par for captaincy?

Don’t get it,

Is there a possibility that the selection committee might determine his performance at an Army camp to be below par for captaincy?

This sounds like they might change captain but they want to disclose it at the same time as when they announce the squad.

Extremely sad for this guy . I don’t know how he gonna take this . This is total disrespectful. Wahab and Babar should take this blame they should have been the ones supporting him .

Despite the usual circus by PCB , fact is he was never going to be even a average skipper ! Shaid though must be livid - has he given a statement ?

Extremely sad for this guy . I don’t know how he gonna take this . This is total disrespectful. Wahab and Babar should take this blame they should have been the ones supporting him .
Yeah he is a victim of the PCB chaos. Whatever you think of him ....5 games ain't enough to be judged.

Back