Did Pakistan take the right decision to rest Shaheen Shah Afridi for the 3rd Test against Australia at the SCG?

Did Pakistan taken the right decision to rest Shaheen Shah Afridi for the 3rd Test against Australi

• Total voters
He should have played the game instead of hassan ali

There was no point resting him in such an important Test where he could have changed the course of history.

Shaheen has the record of being the first player in history to miss a Test match to play in a T20I series.
Are you surprised ? As I said earlier on this thread , he will pick & choose which Tests to play & focus mostly on T20 which is a pity imo !

Pakistan's T20 Captain, Shaheen Shah Afridi during the New Zealand vs Pakistan T20 series pre-game Presser:

"I am absolutely fit. In two matches, I bowled a lot, but then there was so much fatigue on me that the management and the medical panel said that the chances of injury would increase if I continued playing. If there was any chance of winning the series, then I would have preferred playing for my country, which is why I was rested. My priority is always Test cricket, and I like this format very much. My brother had told me that if you play Test cricket, you can play all formats.”​

Last edited:
Ian Pont speaking to PakPassion about Shaheen Shah Afridi's speed:

"Interesting thing you said about the speed guns! I know speed guns can vary in each country but not in the same game if you see what I mean; I think the challenge is for fast bowling just if we speak rather than specifically with Shaheen Shah Afridi who is a fantastic bowler I mean if you think in the last five years he's gone from where he was to where he is it's been a rapid rise to the top and expectations from not just Pakistani fans but actually fans of cricket around the world is to see this guy bowling 140 clicks plus shaping it back in left arm he's got a box of tricks you know and he's a serious bowler;"

"The problem is that fast-bowlers are like thoroughbred racehorses or they are like Formula One cars they're not like a family vehicle that you can just keep driving and driving yeah and I'm not saying this has happened, but you have to manage."

"You mentioned workloads at the beginning I think if people are playing a lot of cricket and listen, he's a three-format player you know he plays both white ball versions and also plays red-ball cricket, so you're going to want to throw him the ball every five minutes and I think potentially that is part of the problem."

"He's still growing you know he's not mature at 28 as a fast bowler so he's still growing in that sense and developing. I think he's someone that that probably has been over-bowled to a certain extent and when you get fatigued, you get tired, so when you're trying to bowl fast it doesn't come out quickly".

"Technically speaking his actions decent I mean you know it's easy to criticize anybody's bowling action because no one's perfect and no one's a robot but he's got a good action and his wrist position is good; He swings it back in and what will worry me more is not so much his speed but if he lost his swing because as a left armer you're going to bowl 90% of the time to a right-handed batter and you've got to shape it back in and he hasn't lost the swing but of course at 10 kilometres faster it's more dangerous to swing it"

"So yes, I just think it's a fatigue issue potentially I mean I don't know what his workloads are being I haven't watched a lot of him bowling in the winter in Test cricket, but he'd be disappointed that those speeds are down definitely."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back