Authorities fail to construct Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Stadium [Update Post #76]

cricfan967

ODI Debutant
Runs
http://blogs.bettor.com/PCB-announc...ill-make-stadium-in-Garhi-Khuda-Bakhsh-a15487

PCB announces Rs 2.6 billion budget; will make stadium in Garhi Khuda Bakhsh

Pakistan Cricket Board has allocated a 2.6 billion rupees budget for the fiscal year 2010-11. The announcement comes after a gap of two years which was approved at a meeting of the General Council of the Pakistan Cricket Board in Lahore on Wednesday.

The board has estimated an amount of Rs. 2.6 billion rupees in revenues for the next season while the expenditure is projected to sit at Rs 2.3 billion. Consequently, the PCB has been able to present a surplus amount of 0.3 billion rupees in its 2010-11 budget.

The budget was approved by less than 50% majority of the governing board of the PCB. Out of a total of fifteen members, only seven were present in the meeting summoned on Wednesday. The meeting was chaired by the Chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board Ijaz Butt. The chairman told reporters after the meeting that the board is trying to complete the Governing Board’s strength but it follows a procedure and would take time.

Three sitting members of the Governing Board including Wazir Ali Khoja, Javed Miandad, and Naeem Gillani were not present in the meeting. Miandad and Khoja did not attend the meeting because both people were not happy with Ijaz Butt while Naeem is currently out of Pakistan. Due to their absences, the meeting of the governing board was reduced to seven members for the budget meeting.

The governing board should consist of 15 members including the chairman of the PCB. Six technocrats had relinquished the governing board membership as a protest when the current PCB chairman Ijaz Butt took charge in October 2008. Wazir Ali was brought in on one of the vacant seats while the other five are still vacant.

The constitution requires a minimum of 50 per cent majority of the house to approve any move. So the budget passed by the governing board with less than fifty percent is a clear violation of international rules.

Ijaz Butt revealed that the last two budgets showed a glaring deficit but the board is hoping to earn profits in the 2011 season. Ijaz Butt said that the income from the Champions Trophy
and the World Cup would help the PCB earn surplus revenues in the days to come.

PCB Chairman Ijaz Butt said, “One (reason) is the International Cricket Council has finally released our share of funds from the organisation of ICC events after we submitted them audited reports of previous budgets and secondly we are curtailing expenses and reducing manpower in the Board”.

As a consequence to the financial irregularities, the Pakistan Cricket Board has not awarded annual increments to its employees in the last few years. When asked about the issue, Butt said that over-staffing has already increased the administrative expenditure of board. He revealed that at the time his joining, there were 70 to 75% surplus staff working with the board so he adopted a downsizing policy that reduced the strength from 1200 to 600 people. Giving the example of the BCCI, Butt claimed that they have a total of 29 employees while Cricket Australia employs around 27 members in the entire hierarchy.

“Then 99.9 per cent of the staff is already over-paid. This was also pointed out to me by some members of the GB and we have asked for guidelines from the Prime Minister in this respect,” added the chairman.

Ijaz Butt denied the impression that he had a disjointed relationship with Wasim Bari. He said that the media is spreading rumours that have no reality at all. He said that Bari is still performing as the COO of the PC and has no differences with him.

He remained closed lipped when asked about the possibility of having a bilateral series with arch-rivals India at a neutral venue in the future. The chairman said that the issue is highly off the record so he cannot comment about it.

The chairman also revealed that out of the Rs 2.6 billion budget, 18.5 million rupees would be spent on the construction of a cricket stadium in Garhi Khuda Bakhsh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is Garhi Khuda Bakhsh located?

total waste of money, they already have emptly stadiums in faisalabad, multan, peshawar, gujranwala.

what about islamabad, its safe too.

they should consider, but looking at our politicians they will never let it happen

now we are going to have benazir internation stadium

A new stadium - More waste of money

IAJ said:
Where is Garhi Khuda Bakhsh located?

Here lies the reason

LARKANA, April 16 (PPI): Aasifa Bhutto Zardari, the younger daughter of the President of Pakistan and Co-Chairman Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) Asif Ali Zardari arrived from Sukkur here on Thursday, to visit the grave of her mother Shaheed Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto. She alongwith Sindh Minister for Home affairs Dr. Zulfikar Ali Mirza drove directly from Sukkur Airport to Garhi Khuda Bux Bhutto in a motorcade, under tight security arrangements. Aasifa Bhutto Zardari visited the grave of her assassinated mother and PPP Chairperson Shaheed Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto at Garhi Khuda Bakhsh Bhutto.

The pitch is probably going to be another bowlers' graveyard!

Last edited:
Why is Garhi Khuda Bhaksh not surprising ? Corruption at its best,its the PPP's ''spiritual home'' if you like,no wonder resources are going to get poured there.

Why build a stadium when it isnt gaurenteed that there will be cricket in pakistan for the next 20 years or so?

Renovate the old stadiums and make one or two of them extreamly special.

Is there any limit to chamchagiri? or has cricket suddenly taken hold in Bhuttos village?

pakmania said:
Why is Garhi Khuda Bhaksh not surprising ? Corruption at its best,its the PPP's ''spiritual home'' if you like,no wonder resources are going to get poured there.

I believe Bhutto Sr. is also buried there.

The stadium may never get built or would be built costing far less than the budget. Another nice drink for the corrupt government and the PCB at the expense of Pakistan cricket.

There is another thread asking for suggestions to be put towards the PCB, how about please don't destroy our cricket by your corruption.

As Imran has said many times, the PCB should be totally independant and not change with the government because the next ones to take up office in the PCB will want their fair share too.

When will Billy Zardari be making his debut for Pakistan?

Most be somewhere on the cards...soon

Why build a stadium when it isnt gaurenteed that there will be cricket in pakistan for the next 20 years or so?

Renovate the old stadiums and make one or two of them extreamly special.
very good point...PCB should try to renovate one of their old stadium like lords...

Last edited:
Why not do something with the domestic cricket in the country, put more money in there, make it more competitve and attractive, especially now when we don't have any international cricket at home.
These corruptetd fools, inhe maloom nahi hai kal kou Allah SWT kou hisaab dena hai?

disappointing. DKB isn't even a scenic place or anything, and you won't get crowds there. We have enough average/below average stadiums in the country, and with no cricket around, even those are just dying.

the money will be better utilized if flushed down the toilet....

why the heck don't they use this money to improve cricket infrastructure in sindh? when was the last time a player from interior sindh made it into the national team?

I hope its a 100,000 seater.

IF...IF we ever get another international match played in Pak, I want to see the 1st ever EMPTY 100,000 game where no one turns up

Why not Islamabad? Safe and plenty of people will be willing to go there since its the capital and near rawalpindi.

As one diehard Jiala would say, "Another good step by the government" :Zardari

I think it's a good idea to build stadium there. It will give youth a chance to play in proper ground knowing there is no considerable place in Garhi Khuda Bakhsh to play cricket. Nearest good stadium to them is maybe in Hyderabad or Karachi?

y in the gadi khuda baksh.y not in peshawer.where there is no stadium.y are they ignoring peshawer.where great players are from peshawer like younas.umer gul

sharaf katawazi said:
y in the gadi khuda baksh.y not in peshawer.where there is no stadium.y are they ignoring peshawer.where great players are from peshawer like younas.umer gul
Peshawar has a stadium which has hosted many International matches.

when shahid afridi will hit 6 in that stadium, spectators will chant "jiya bhutto jiya bhutto" what a confusion that will be.

Work nees to be done om staduims that we aldeady have rather then makeinv new one's. Wow ppp and pcb near failmto suprise one.

Damn..thats a new low for PCB....building a stadium where the Voter base is for PPP

Yeah, we all know that PCB appointments are based on one's political connections but, i cant remember any PCB chairman go as far as this to try to please people, who brought him into power

Yet Hyderabad Cricket stadium remains dilapidated... Imran Khan was almost in tears seeing what a state it had become when he visited it.

lol.. I can't believe.

GKB is about 15 km faraway from my village(Larkana).... Total waste of money, why not repair & renovate Hyderabad stadium?

Umair Paracha! said:
Peshawar has a stadium which has hosted many International matches.
i know but that stadium has been closed for internation matches and domestic.only club matches can be held there

Even if an international cricket team came to Pakistan, I doubt they'd be willing to go anywhere besides NSK. After what happened in Lahore, I fear the Gaddafi won't be used for a while either. And unfortunately, Peshawar is completely out of the question. I doubt anyone, not even in this clown run PCB, would take responsibility for security there.

Last edited:
sharaf katawazi said:
i know but that stadium has been closed for internation matches and domestic.only club matches can be held there

Arbab Niaz Stadium has hoted many games, last of was admittedly in 2006 but ts not like the whole of Pakistan has had many games is it.

No need what so ever for another stadium in Sarhad...rather promote Balochistan and the stadium there (if there is one?)

There are two stadiums in Balochistan.

The Ayub National Stadium and the Bugti Stadium,both in Quetta.

The Bugti ground was where Hasan Raza debuted as you may recall against Zimbabwe in 1996.Its the last ground in Quetta/Balochistan to have hosted international cricket.

The Ayub National Stadium hosted its first match against India in 1978 and its last also against India in 1984,apparently it holds 20,000 fans and is a football ground too,however I assume its quite dilapidated now since theres been a long time since any cricket has been hosted there.

So your best bet of having cricket in Balochistan is at the Bugti Stadium,which is probably in need of a bit of renovation just the Niaz Stadium in Hyderabad.

This is more of a political move. Butt trying to save his butt but making studium in GKB to get the support of his boss Zardari

Oxy said:
I hope its a 100,000 seater.

IF...IF we ever get another international match played in Pak, I want to see the 1st ever EMPTY 100,000 game where no one turns up

I seriously doubt that they can build a stadium of that magnitude with 18.5 million ruppees...unless of course theis figure is multiplied by 100. :13:

Nowadays, everything is named after BB

So the name of this stadium will be Hazrat Mohtarma benazir bhutto shaheed stadium.

waqar_ahmad said:

So the name of this stadium will be Hazrat Mohtarma benazir bhutto shaheed stadium.

or Hazrat Asif Ali Zardari (Lahnat Allah Alaih) Stadium...People reciting the name of the stadium will get extra sawab.

waqar_ahmad said:

I would like a confirmation for this.

Can PP's resident jiala confirm the name?

This is clearly just a PPP thing. Let's hope that the construction on this stadium doesn't start before Zardari is out and then hopefully they can put a stop to this sh!t.

Cricket ho nahi rahi Pakistan main aur yai BIBI k naam per karooro zaya kar rahy hain...wah ray wah

Benazir-Bhutto-International-Cricket-Stadium.jpg

President Zardari told that better sports facilities would be available to local players at the new stadium.

He also visited the grave of Benazir Bhutto and offered fateha. The president said that Benazir Bhutto had laid down her life for the cause of democracy.

Special security arrangements were made on this occasion.

http://www.zimbio.com/Benazir+Bhutt...President+Zardari+Inaugurates+Cricket+Stadium

At least this is better than making thousands of monuments across the country/state. This is a long term investment, inviting the youth to stadiums to take part in sports is always a great thing. Looking at country's scenario, it may seem wastage of money but in the longer run this will only be fruitful.

No offense to anyone, i would rather have trillions of dollars spent on creating stadiums everywhere in the country than building temples, mosques, churches and the useless monuments in the memory of the deserving and undeserving people.

Here in India's biggest and the most infamous state of Uttar Pradesh, the first thing that the dalit ki beti Chief Minister Mayawati (daughter of the lower caste people) did for her poor people was erecting thousands of elephant statues across the state. Elephant being her party's election sign, lol. So having witnessed such atrocities in our country, i don't mind this AT ALL !

Last edited:
this look like a 1 rupee stadium

2.6 billion is 260 cores(that a lot of money for a proper ground)

It is only valued at Rs2.6 billion on paper but not really made at that price, you know what I mean and this is Pakistan for you :facepalm:

better picture

Benazir-Bhutto-International-Cricket-Stadium.jpg

and they said millions were invested in this project. lol

Last edited:
this look like a 1 rupee stadium

2.6 billion is 260 cores(that a lot of money for a proper ground)

It is only valued at Rs2.6 billion on paper but not really made at that price, you know what I mean and this is Pakistan for you :facepalm:

the report says 18.5 million .......
the whole PCB budget was 2.6 billion.

no one reads beyond the headlines anymore :yk

Pathetic stuff, what a big waste....if they didnt want to spend the money on the poor and undeveloped areas in pakistan they could have used the outrageous sum to improve the domestic cricket structure in pakistan rather than a useless stadium so what if it will benefit the locals not as if it will attract all the youngsters from every corner in pakistan now will it.

Total waste of money, as many have said. Pakpassion should send a complaint to the pcb.

the grass on the ground, is it special kind of green? ;) Rs 2.6 billions were spent? Sindh does need more sport facilities, beside karachi and hyderabad i have not seen a quality cricket stadium or sport facilities for the youth.

Last edited:
READ THE ARTICLE. It's 18 MILLION, not 2.6 billion, PCB would be bankrupt if they spent that much.

And a very good stadium for that price by the best political party in the whole country. Just another tick on the long list of achievements by the great PPP and the best president ever, the respectable and honourable Asif Ali Zardari

Some more corruption? Didn't know that it stopped at all....

i guess as long as they have the public's vote, nothing will stop them.

Last edited:
READ THE ARTICLE. It's 18 MILLION, not 2.6 billion, PCB would be bankrupt if they spent that much.

And a very good stadium for that price by the best political party in the whole country. Just another tick on the long list of achievements by the great PPP and the best president ever, the respectable and honourable Asif Ali Zardari

Haha, they bought a ground which they might not have even bought and then built a fence around it for 18 million.

Sir Asif Ali Zardari's blessings

LOL , is that a stadium where 260 crore rupees have en spent? Crap for that big money.

Haha, they bought a ground which they might not have even bought and then built a fence around it for 18 million.

Don't lie, they made the whole stadium and ground. Thank God for patriotic men like Asif Ali Zardari and Zaka Ashraf

i don't know it its a good thing or a bad thing,

i guess if the people of sindh can arrange real match's there then its a good investment, and inshaallah in the long run they can have international level cricket there,

but a awful lot of money for a simple ground,,
back drop look nice tho

works out to be around 115K in GBP.

Sounds like a good deal.

We need more cricket stadiums in Waziristan and Wana :) alongside Basketbom eerrr. Basketball courrts

http://blogs.bettor.com/PCB-announc...ill-make-stadium-in-Garhi-Khuda-Bakhsh-a15487

PCB announces Rs 2.6 billion budget; will make stadium in Garhi Khuda Bakhsh

Pakistan Cricket Board has allocated a 2.6 billion rupees budget for the fiscal year 2010-11. The announcement comes after a gap of two years which was approved at a meeting of the General Council of the Pakistan Cricket Board in Lahore on Wednesday.

The board has estimated an amount of Rs. 2.6 billion rupees in revenues for the next season while the expenditure is projected to sit at Rs 2.3 billion. Consequently, the PCB has been able to present a surplus amount of 0.3 billion rupees in its 2010-11 budget.

The budget was approved by less than 50% majority of the governing board of the PCB. Out of a total of fifteen members, only seven were present in the meeting summoned on Wednesday. The meeting was chaired by the Chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board Ijaz Butt. The chairman told reporters after the meeting that the board is trying to complete the Governing Board’s strength but it follows a procedure and would take time.

Three sitting members of the Governing Board including Wazir Ali Khoja, Javed Miandad, and Naeem Gillani were not present in the meeting. Miandad and Khoja did not attend the meeting because both people were not happy with Ijaz Butt while Naeem is currently out of Pakistan. Due to their absences, the meeting of the governing board was reduced to seven members for the budget meeting.

The governing board should consist of 15 members including the chairman of the PCB. Six technocrats had relinquished the governing board membership as a protest when the current PCB chairman Ijaz Butt took charge in October 2008. Wazir Ali was brought in on one of the vacant seats while the other five are still vacant.

The constitution requires a minimum of 50 per cent majority of the house to approve any move. So the budget passed by the governing board with less than fifty percent is a clear violation of international rules.

Ijaz Butt revealed that the last two budgets showed a glaring deficit but the board is hoping to earn profits in the 2011 season. Ijaz Butt said that the income from the Champions Trophy
and the World Cup would help the PCB earn surplus revenues in the days to come.

PCB Chairman Ijaz Butt said, “One (reason) is the International Cricket Council has finally released our share of funds from the organisation of ICC events after we submitted them audited reports of previous budgets and secondly we are curtailing expenses and reducing manpower in the Board”.

As a consequence to the financial irregularities, the Pakistan Cricket Board has not awarded annual increments to its employees in the last few years. When asked about the issue, Butt said that over-staffing has already increased the administrative expenditure of board. He revealed that at the time his joining, there were 70 to 75% surplus staff working with the board so he adopted a downsizing policy that reduced the strength from 1200 to 600 people. Giving the example of the BCCI, Butt claimed that they have a total of 29 employees while Cricket Australia employs around 27 members in the entire hierarchy.

“Then 99.9 per cent of the staff is already over-paid. This was also pointed out to me by some members of the GB and we have asked for guidelines from the Prime Minister in this respect,” added the chairman.

Ijaz Butt denied the impression that he had a disjointed relationship with Wasim Bari. He said that the media is spreading rumours that have no reality at all. He said that Bari is still performing as the COO of the PC and has no differences with him.

He remained closed lipped when asked about the possibility of having a bilateral series with arch-rivals India at a neutral venue in the future. The chairman said that the issue is highly off the record so he cannot comment about it.

The chairman also revealed that out of the Rs 2.6 billion budget, 18.5 million rupees would be spent on the construction of a cricket stadium in Garhi Khuda Bakhsh.

The article says out of the 2.6 billion, 18.5 million will be spent on the stadium.

That comes to less then 150 thousand pounds.

That is a cheap!

It is cheap, I know, a great venture by the best government of Pakistan, another reason to vote Smart, vote Bhutto

Authorities fail to construct Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Stadium

LARKANA: The construction of Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Stadium, Larkana, despite passage of nine years, has still not been completed.

The foundation stone of the stadium was laid down by Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto on 29 May 1966 when he was the foreign minister of Pakistan. At that time, the stadium was named Municipal Stadium. The stadium is spread over 12 acres of land.

Reliable sources said that the stadium’s design had been changed three times during last nine years. In 2008 when Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) was ruling at the federal level, it was decided to construct the stadium afresh at the cost of Rs158 million. When Muhammad Ali Shah was the provincial minister for sports, the contract was awarded to a contractor. According to the approved PC-1, a cricket ground, an athletic track, a badminton court and other grounds were to be constructed in the stadium.

Construction of the athletic court was finished quite early but the rest of the project was held back from finishing due to funds not being released by the provincial government. Reports reveal that the project was later handed to inexperienced contractors who filled the prepared athletic ground along with the parts of site that needed earth filling.

The new contractors also shifted the pavilion, with a space of about 5000 people, to the north side. Despite availability of drinking water underground, an underground water tank was constructed. A sewage channel built alongside the boundary wall of the stadium led to the destruction of grass which was imported from Dacca five years ago.

Despite several matches of hockey and football being organized here, the stadium still awaits completion. A large number of citizens use the stadium during evenings to play various sports since it is located at a central place of the city.

The spaces meant for the construction of athletic track, cricket pitch and badminton court and the plantation of grass, have been occupied by land grabbers who have gone on to construct illegally on the site, facing little resistance from concerned authorities.

Works & Services Department Executive Engineer Ghulam Abbas Soomro told newsmen that work had not been completed due to non-provision of required funds. “If allocated budget is released, then it will be completed up to June 2018,” he said.

He further said, “Fifteen million rupees were spent on athletic track which was filled with earth later”, adding that he was not posted here during the unfortunate incident. He said they were trying to complete new pavilion in time if funds were received.

Shaheed Benazir Bhutto addressed her first public gathering here after her return from self-exile in 1993 and later came here again four days before here martyrdom. She addressed the people of Larkana on December 23, 2007, which subsequently turned out to be her last address to her voters and supporters.

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/20...-to-construct-shaheed-benazir-bhutto-stadium/

Back