Azhar Ali announced as captain for 2nd Test against New Zealand

Abdul

ODI Debutant
Runs
Pakistan Test Captain Misbah ul Haq is returning back home from New Zealand due to the death of his father in law.

In his place Chairman PCB has announced Azhar Ali to lead the team.

Media Department

Last edited:
Who else? At least we can hope his captaincy will be more positive than his last Test innings.

Hope they play Asad at 4 this time.

Who else? At least we can hope his captaincy will be more positive than his last Test innings.

Hope they play Asad at 4 this time.

Tactically, there is no one better than Sarfaraz at the moment but he himself has had a low string of scores recently so I doubt we would've gone with him. Sami is a kid, Asad is too timid, Babar is practically playing his first series and then there are the bowlers.......

It was between Azhar and Sarfaraz while they went with Azhar due to his 'experience', I hope he proves me wrong but I can clearly see a truckload of blunders in the coming game at Hamilton.

Wonder what will be the reactions if he wins us this 2nd test :13:

Wonder what will be the reactions if he wins us this 2nd test :13:

#1 if we somehow win at Hamilton, without Misbah, I'd probably put it as a down right miracle. We got bullied by a team low on confidence and against whom we have historically been great.

#2 The reactions would naturally be celebratory since a Pakistan win will...You know.... MAKE PAKISTANIS HAPPY !!

#3 I hope Azhar proves me wrong by captaining the side half decently, but given how he captains in ODIs I wouldn't be surprised if we end up making it 0-2 in favor of New Zealand.

A few of you deserve severe warnings for insensitive comments about Misbah's departure

I suggest you stick to cricket and don't make any snide remarks

#1 if we somehow win at Hamilton, without Misbah, I'd probably put it as a down right miracle. We got bullied by a team low on confidence and against whom we have historically been great.

#2 The reactions would naturally be celebratory since a Pakistan win will...You know.... MAKE PAKISTANIS HAPPY !!

#3 I hope Azhar proves me wrong by captaining the side half decently, but given how he captains in ODIs I wouldn't be surprised if we end up making it 0-2 in favor of New Zealand.

so you'll put it down as a miracle?

so it's a lose-lose scenario for Azhar when it comes to improving his image as captain.

Tactically, there is no one better than Sarfaraz at the moment but he himself has had a low string of scores recently so I doubt we would've gone with him. Sami is a kid, Asad is too timid, Babar is practically playing his first series and then there are the bowlers.......

It was between Azhar and Sarfaraz while they went with Azhar due to his 'experience', I hope he proves me wrong but I can clearly see a truckload of blunders in the coming game at Hamilton.

Leading T20 & Test is a bit different, particularly for a WK. Tactics in T20 is extremely instant, which suits Sarfu (& doesn't suit Azhar), but the longer format might not be suitable for Sarfu's concentration along with his WK. Hardly any great WK was made a Test captain for that reason.

I think, best would have been YK, which would have kept Azhar free from pressure & focus on his game, while added responsibility can't cost YK more than his last show. But, they have gone for Azhar which is fine.

But, I'll always say that PAK needs a Bowling Captain - the team is not tuned to be led by someone with a defensive mindset.

Extremely bad time for his haters there!

I hope his supporters also have the decency to be impartial when judging his captaincy. There's not a doubt in my mind that he's a valuable player in the Test squad and even the ODIs (for now) but he inspires little to no confidence.

so you'll put it down as a miracle?

so it's a lose-lose scenario for Azhar when it comes to improving his image as captain.

Haven't we seen enough of Azhar in ODIs to know exactly how he 'captains' ?? Do we need another experimental decision to enhance this self discovery of Azhar 'The Cricketer' :facepalm:.

Test cricket should be the last place for such experiments man !! For the first time (After Imran I guess) we would have a captain to complete his tenure with respect and transition his role to a fellow colleague. If Azhar hasn't been cutting it for now nearly two years as the ODI captain how would, he all of sudden, become a world beating captain at the most toughest form of the game ??????????

I am all of Azhar the Test Player but as a captain we need someone who has the tactical acumen to make calls that would help us win games abroad !! Tell me sully bhai, and please be honest, do you really see Azhar as a good captain in the long run ??

Of course, I'll hope he's successful in his stint as stand-in Skipper and leads Pak to level the series.

PakPassion have spoken to Pakistan team manager Wasim Bari who has indicated that Pakistan have no intention of asking for a replacement for Misbah-ul-Haq as Sharjeel Khan and Mohammad Rizwan are already in the squad.

Last edited:
PakPassion have spoken to Pakistan team manager Wasim Bari who has indicated that Pakistan have no intention of asking for asking for a replacement for Misbah-ul-Haq as Sharjeel Khan and Mohammad Rizwan are already in the squad.

That's good news for MoHa - it would have been injustice to call him & put to fight it out on such wickets. Now, he can take his time & plan for Gabba Test. Also, if PAK loses the 2nd Test, that'll must be a fault of Azhar, hence team will need a Captain after Misbah - an intelligent, street smart, experienced, senior head with all facets of the game loaded & a Professor like mind ......

Debut for Rizwan all but confirmed.

They'll play Sharjeel, Micky really rates and likes the lad for his aggressive approach to batting. Although that would literally mean we can't field him anywhere apart from the slips position.

It is a very sad time for Misbah and his family, and our thoughts must be with them. Cricket is only a game.

That said, we now find the Second Test at Hamilton effectively becomes an audition for a starting position in Australia. And we know that the groundsman has been producing greentops this season - much, much greener than the Christchurch wicket.

I'm guessing that we will now see:

1. Sami Aslam
2. Sharjeel Khan
3. Azhar Ali
4. Younis Khan
5. Babar Azam
6. Asad Shafiq
7. Sarfraz Ahmed
8. Mohammad Amir
9. Yasir Shah
10. Sohail Khan
11. Wahab Riaz

They'll play Sharjeel, Micky really rates and likes the lad for his aggressive approach to batting. Although that would literally mean we can't field him anywhere apart from the slips position.

He's a good catcher as far as what I've seen of him.

Even though playing Sharjeel is a big big risk, he will at least bring some energy to a static top order. But again, it's a very big risk and I don't know if a safety-first team like Pakistan will take that risk.

Please tell me we're not carrying Sharjeel, Rahat and Sohail in thr field throughout this test.

An opportunity for Azhar Ali to raise his game further

Not the circumstances he would have liked but this is what fate is about

I guess Sharjeel will play now. Although I am not confident in Azhar's captaincy but let's see.

Very Sad knews of the demise of father in law May ALLAH rest him in peace Azhar is a good choice but he has to show the capability he can lead the team and also no silly shots in the slips I wish him good luck and future WORK HARD

I'm looking forward to his captaincy in the Test format because I feel his style would be more suited to the longest format.

If he does yield positive results in Tests, it doesn't mean he should continue to be persisted with in the 50 over format because he has been dull and devoid of tactics in ODI's.

I'm looking forward to his captaincy in the Test format because I feel his style would be more suited to the longest format.

If he does yield positive results in Tests, it doesn't mean he should continue to be persisted with in the 50 over format because he has been dull and devoid of tactics in ODI's.

What style is that?

What style is that?

More of a defensive, disciplined and attrition type cricket.

Not going to work in ODI's and he has been a failure, hence should be culled from ODI's and the captaincy should be given to Sarfraz or go further out and give it to Imad.

More of a defensive, disciplined and attrition type cricket.

Not going to work in ODI's and he has been a failure, hence should be culled from ODI's and the captaincy should be given to Sarfraz or go further out and give it to Imad.

I know where you are coming from. Mostly I see a lack of imagination, to the point of dimness, and inability to motivate his team. And while that certainly could be called 'defensive,' its hard to see how it is going to win Test matches.

I know where you are coming from. Mostly I see a lack of imagination, to the point of dimness, and inability to motivate his team. And while that certainly could be called 'defensive,' its hard to see how it is going to win Test matches.

Yeah, his captaincy so far has been like that in ODI's, but it can look that in ODI's, where you need someone to be more reactive and take command on the field, especially when the opposition is blazing away and hitting you to all corners, like it was when Eng scored that mammoth 400+ score.

In Tests, being patient and disciplined is more likely to yield success, hence why guys like Cook and the current Pak captain, Misbah have found success.

Younis Khan is no future. Azhar Ali has been the best batsman for Pakistan in last 6 years and richly deserves this.

Being a good batsman should entitle you to continue batting.
Being an awful captain should disqualify you from captaining.

You can do better than, what exactly Hafeez has to offer? - He is walking wicket in these conditions, worse Player ever to play on bounce and green.

It is a very sad time for Misbah and his family, and our thoughts must be with them. Cricket is only a game.

That said, we now find the Second Test at Hamilton effectively becomes an audition for a starting position in Australia. And we know that the groundsman has been producing greentops this season - much, much greener than the Christchurch wicket.

I'm guessing that we will now see:

1. Sami Aslam
2. Sharjeel Khan
3. Azhar Ali
4. Younis Khan
5. Babar Azam
6. Asad Shafiq
7. Sarfraz Ahmed
8. Mohammad Amir
9. Yasir Shah
10. Sohail Khan
11. Wahab Riaz

I would play four seamers, if wicket is like this one, four seamers will do lot better. Also Wajahat is must in southern hemo, there is always a bounce on offer, Wagner does not swing the ball, his job was to bounce us out, you always need one such bowler in south. Wahab is that for us. No point of playing Yasir on such green wickets, you need four seamers period.

Younis Khan is no future. Azhar Ali has been the best batsman for Pakistan in last 6 years and richly deserves this.

Yes but we can not afford to loose another match due to defensive captaincy

A few of you deserve severe warnings for insensitive comments about Misbah's departure

I suggest you stick to cricket and don't make any snide remarks

Agree with this, disappointed to see some of the posts here. Thoughts go to Misbah and his family.

Hopefully Azhar Ali does a good job as his replacement, Sharjeel Khan should come in for Misbah and bat at no.3

Inna Lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji'un

Sad to hear about the tough time Misbah & his family are facing. May Allah give them strength to get through this tough time.

All the best to Azhar as captain in 2nd Test. In-Shaa-Allah the team can bounce back.

Start of the post-Misbah era begins. Interesting times ahead. Good luck Azhar!

Wow, bad move for Pakistan, and no Misbah = no chance of drawing the series too.

Yikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
And for future cricket... Azhar should be an opener, but nope.. we going to mess the whole XI up AGAIN by Azhar going to 3, babar either opening or at 5 as YK is at 4 and the golden boy stays hidden at 6

If the conditions aid swing/seam, then pakistan should play Rizwan instead of Sharjeel.

Azhar Ali to lead the side is the right and correct option... He was the vice captain of the test team, dont know why people think sarfaraz should get it... sarfraz has a very quiet year 2016 in tests so far with only 2 fifties out of 13 innings but doing ok as a keeper... And Rizwan should get the chance ahead of Sharjeel if they go by their first class careers... And for rizwan being in the team forever not getting a debut and also not playing the domestic first class is not good going for his cricket career is concerned...

Azhar raised his game in ODI when made captain, hope he does the same as test captain.

I hope PCB realize soon that Azhar Ali is not the right choice to be captain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back