Azhar Mahmood's guidance finally paying dividends for Pakistan pacers?

Mohammad Aizaz

Debutant
Runs
On the morning of day 3 of the ongoing 2nd Test match at Pindi, Pakistan assistant coach Azhar Mahmood had a chat with the pace trio of Pakistan. It seems that the discussion was regarding the length, Pakistan pacers should be bowling. Fair to say that the plan worked for Pakistan as the pace attack of Pakistan bowled over 65% deliveries on a good length in the morning session. Khurram Shahzad is currently operating from the Pavilion End with Abrar trying to spin it away from the Media Box end.

Two slips and a gully to start with and the partnership between Mehidy Hasan Miraz and Litton Das is beginning to flower. Do you think Azhar's advice has paid off for the pace battery of Pakistan?

What?

So you mean to say we have been failing continuously as a bowling unit because Azhar Mahmood was not smart enough to guide the bowlers previously?

And only now some sort a miracle happened and he realized he needs to have a chat with the bowlers?

How about the dozens of previous chats with the bowlers that are part of every single match that is played?

It’s not about Azhar. He isn't the solution to our bowling woes.

And this performance won’t be repeated much. Not against the good sides.

What?

So you mean to say we have been failing continuously as a bowling unit because Azhar Mahmood was not smart enough to guide the bowlers previously?

And only now some sort a miracle happened and he realized he needs to have a chat with the bowlers?

How about the dozens of previous chats with the bowlers that are part of every single match that is played?

It’s not about Azhar. He isn't the solution to our bowling woes.

And this performance won’t be repeated much. Not against the good sides.
Read the last line again. I didn't mean to say anything, I am just stating facts and asking questions.

Two slips and a gully in Test cricket. True innovation!

Why didn’t we think of it before?

Indeed Azhar is a genius.

Well like it or not, Pak pacers have bowled better and questions need to be asked

Two slips and a gully in Test cricket. True innovation!

Why didn’t we think of it before?

Indeed Azhar is a genius.
Not to mention his groundbreaking plan “we need to bowl in the right areas”

Mohammad Ali Daisy is walking off the field now. Physio has been attending him regularly at the boundary and he seems a bit dehydrated now.

Azhar Mahmood is highly rated at Surrey and Alex Stewart (Director of Cricket at Surrey is a big supporter of his)
Surrey are the most successful first class county.

Gus Atkinson has spoken about how he credits Azhar with much of the progress he has made that has led to his success at an England level.

Might it just be that the Pakistani bowlers are a bit too thick to understand what he is saying, perhaps are not talented enough to execute or too pig-headed to listen ?

Bang average cricketer, bang average coach.

The entire relevance of Azhar Mahmood’s cricketing journey is because of a couple of fluke knocks in South Africa in his debut series.

He has no business being part of the coaching setup.

In this heat , 36c feeling like 43c with the humidity most pacers will tire by the late afternoon. You need the fittest players who are accurate.

I’m not sure about azhars plan using them too much atm . Bowling short on a deck with little bounce is adding to zapping your energy. As typing sohail on comms makes the same point

So one good session will ensure thr bowling coach is upto the task , being too optimistic let the innings finish

Bang average cricketer, bang average coach.

The entire relevance of Azhar Mahmood’s cricketing journey is because of a couple of fluke knocks in South Africa in his debut series.

He has no business being part of the coaching setup.
He was average? I rated him better than Razzaq and wondered why Pakistan preferred him over Mahmood.

He has injected essence of his bowling style in our bowlers thats why we are watching emergence of Mohammad Ali and Khurram Shahzad

When Bangladesh were 26/6, Azhar walked down to the boundary to get some camera-time and hog the credit.
Rest, you already know.

Azhar Mahmood is doing a good job in my opinion. I think the real problem is with our bowlers.

He was average? I rated him better than Razzaq and wondered why Pakistan preferred him over Mahmood.
I too thought he was a better allrounder than Razzaq. But Razzaq got opportunities to bat up the order. I am sure the PCT team knew better.

Azhar Mahmood is doing a good job in my opinion. I think the real problem is with our bowlers.
I haven't seen any difference made by Azahr Mehmood atm. The problem is definitely there in the bowling line up and that is mostly related to fitness issues. Not Sure if AM can do anything about that or has done anything.

When Bangladesh were 26/6, Azhar walked down to the boundary to get some camera-time and hog the credit.
Rest, you already know.
Yes, and then as the tide started turning, he was still out there like a buffoon and looked shook! Way to motivate your team

Back