Babar Azam announces himself in the longest format - 90* versus New Zealand at Hamilton

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
So sad that he was left stranded on 90* but what an innings. Excellent temperament and barely a single false shot that I can remember. Head and shoulders above the rest of the batsmen in testing conditions.

As someone has said the innings was Flawless. He just looked a million dollors compared to the rest.

And given the conditions it was an amazing knock.

So sad he didn't get a 100.

Didn't see..Must have been a very good knock.

Shame that he was left stranded. Deserved a hundred. Pakistan have arguably the worst tail in the world. The Indian no.11 Shami would've given Babar far more support than Wahab.

Very good innings at a times when Pakistan needed it too! Pak needs to improve their tail.

Great knock but no need to go overboard he needs to replicate it more often then not and be our answer to Root,Kohli, Williamson.

Great knock but no need to go overboard he needs to replicate it more often then not and be our answer to Root,Kohli, Williamson.

Let him be Babar Azam.

No one is saying that was the best knock ever on the face of the earth but it was certainly one of the best I've seen by a Pakistani batsman.

You have to have seen the full innings to appreciate it - he looked in control through out, even with wickets falling around him. Didn't look flustered at any point.

Good knock by Babar, but I feel a lot are overrating it already...

The pitch was pretty flat, to be fair it showed a lot of character to stick around when the senior batsmen were collapsing in a heap.

Last edited:
As someone has said the innings was Flawless. He just looked a million dollors compared to the rest.

And given the conditions it was an amazing knock.

So sad he didn't get a 100.
Given what conditions?

The ball has done very little to justify 200 all out.. if your batsmen had dug in, they would have put on 400..

Deserved a hundred, but this will give him the confidence boost he needs in the longest format. Coming in at number 3 as well. The pitch was getting a bit flat but there was definitely still life in it, add to that the pressure of losing wickets at the other end, and the overcast conditions, this knock is definitely the best by a young (under 25) Pakistani batsman I've seen in Tests in a long time.

Great knock by him. Pity that lack of support cost him test century.

Deserved a hundred, but this will give him the confidence boost he needs in the longest format. Coming in at number 3 as well. The pitch was getting a bit flat but there was definitely still life in it, add to that the pressure of losing wickets at the other end, and the overcast conditions, this knock is definitely the best by a young (under 25) Pakistani batsman I've seen in Tests in a long time.
The life in it was for a few overs before they had to go off (resulted in us getting Sohail and troubling Wahab). I know because usually we don't look like taking a wicket till the ball starts to move around :))

Yaar larka humara stranded reh gaya navvay ki dehai mein :sree

Young Babar showing veterans like Azhar, Asad and YK how to play on pitches like these.

Since he gave strike to our tailenders to play stroke and even gave them full overs. It's kind of selfish innings to save himself. Don't deserve 100!!!

Most flawless innings I've personally witnessed.

Didn't see the innings today and will catch it in a bit

But surely this has to be hyperbole if you say it's the most flawless innings you've EVER seen. Or maybe you don't watch cricket much

But but but only those with a FC average of 50 PLUS can succeed and should be given a chance!

Heck. Boys he doesn't even have a domestic FC average of 40 plus ;)

So pure domestic stats in isolation don't mean much.

Also, just like Umar Akmal he's having a good start to his Test career. Although Umar did it in more testing conditions and was brilliant scored a ton.

But surely this has to be hyperbole if you say it's the most flawless innings you've EVER seen. Or maybe you don't watch cricket much
It was a definitely a good knock, could even consider it great if you take into account the situation and experience of Babar.

But yeah, getting a bit overrated... I think there was even a run out opportunity (there were two, I know Sarfraz was one), if you want to count run outs as chances.

But but but only those with a FC average of 50 PLUS can succeed and should be given a chance!

Heck. Boys he doesn't even have a domestic FC average of 40 plus ;)

So pure domestic stats in isolation don't mean much.

Also, just like Umar Akmal he's having a good start to his Test career. Although Umar did it in more testing conditions and was brilliant scored a ton.

Umar Akmal was unfairly dropped from the test side

It was a definitely a good knock, could even consider it great if you take into account the situation and experience of Babar.

But yeah, getting a bit overrated... I think there was even a run out opportunity (there were two, I know Sarfraz was one), if you want to count run outs as chances.
Correction, both of them were Sarfraz.

Not one chance despite the ball seaming and/or swinging throughout. Can't think of another innings like that.

Good innings but today the conditions were good for batting and had pakistan not thrown away wickets yesterday we could have got a lead of 100 plus on this wicket. Now we will be chasing around 400.

We need players like Usman Sahllaudin and Harris Sohail to succeed as well in future to remain in top four ranking.

We have to look ahead after YK and Misbah are gone

Last edited:
We need players like Usman Sahllaudin and Harris Sohail to succeed as well in future to remain in top four ranking

Usman is too limited like Azhar and Asad. Haris, yes. He plays the moving ball well and has the strokeplay to put the bad ball away.

Not one chance despite the ball seaming and/or swinging throughout. Can't think of another innings like that.
Either you didn't watch the match or are making stuff up. It was definitely not seaming and swinging throughout.

Either you didn't watch the match or are making stuff up. It was definitely not seaming and swinging throughout.

It was seaming throughout. Babar's defence was just that good. Southee was getting 50+ overs ball to shape. I could say the same thing to you. Either you didn't watch or simply don't understand cricket.

I saw most of the overs when he batted and ball was not seaming or swinging throughout.

It was seaming throughout. Babar's defence was just that good. Southee was getting 50+ overs ball to shape. I could say the same thing to you. Either you didn't watch or simply don't understand cricket.
It started shaping around after 50 overs because of overhead conditions.

The wicket has been great to bat on from yesterday, the problem is your batsmen threw their wickets away. If they had applied themselves better, they would of had a lead of 100+.

I saw most of the overs when he batted and ball was not seaming or swinging throughout.
Paid close attention as well, our bowlers usually become fodder unless the pitch is doing something (did so in Southee's second spell) or the batsmen are giving their wickets away (yesterday).

It started shaping around after 50 overs because of overhead conditions.

The wicket has been great to bat on from yesterday, the problem is your batsmen threw their wickets away. If they had applied themselves better, they would of had a lead of 100+.

A green wicket is never great to bat on. The ball consistently jags around even it it's not exaggerated(which is what you probably expect from seaming wickets), that's why batsmen can never let loose. Babar was nullifying that movement by playing the ball under his eyes and late as possible which makes it seem as if there's no movement. If that was the case, others would've scored as well. This being the highest score of the series is a testament to how great Babar's defence was.

Paid close attention as well, our bowlers usually become fodder unless the pitch is doing something (did so in Southee's second spell) or the batsmen are giving their wickets away (yesterday).

NZ bowing looks too flat when it's not happening anything with ball. In middle when sun was out, it was looking ordinary effort after having Pakistan on back foot. Anyway, Babar played really well given that wickets were falling around him. Young man should have a good career.

Since he gave strike to our tailenders to play stroke and even gave them full overs. It's kind of selfish innings to save himself. Don't deserve 100!!!

He is very new so give him some time. Many experienced batsmen play poorly with tail as well. He did deserve a ton here. You are being too harsh on him.

There is a good reason why most of us were saying that 400 would be a par score for Pakistan at the start of the innings; conditions had eased up a lot.

Not par, but it would have been a good effort to put 400. Top order batted poorly to have any chance for big score. Hopefully, rain stays out now and we get two full days. If Pakistan can bowl NZ around 200 then it will set it up nicely.

He announced himself when he scored 40 and 114 not out v Australia's full-strength attack two years ago.

It's pathetic that he has taken two years to get a game.

A green wicket is never great to bat on.
You obviously haven't watched a cricket match in NZ in the last few years.

Overhead conditions are the only asisstance bowlers have really had from day ~2 onwards. Our wickets flatten up and becomes roads, you can ask any Indian or Aussie here who has toured in the last few years.

Last edited:
Our tail is so poor. Atleast show some fight for the kid so that he can get his hundred. Reminds me of when Azhar was left stranded on 92* at the Oval.

Excellent knock regardless. Very impressive in terms of both technique and temperament.

Good start to his test career. 2 test matches and 2 fifties already. The 90* was a brilliant innings and hopefully one that will give him the confidence to drive forward. However, a bit too early to judge. I would like to see him become feature in our test side consistently now because the least he has done is proven that he can play at this level.

Possibly a good replacement for Younis Khan who I think should retire after this series.

You obviously haven't watched a cricket match in NZ in the last few years.

Overhead conditions are the only asisstance bowlers have really had from day ~2 onwards. Our wickets flatten up and becomes roads, you can ask any Indian or Aussie here who has toured in the last few years.

Those series had different weather conditions. Pitches were sun-baked, not the case here. Anyway, man going off topic here. Whatever, keep your opinion. It doesn't really matter to me.

Last edited:
Those series had different weather conditions. Pitches were sun-baked, not the case here. Anyway, man going off topic here. Whatever, keep your opinion. It doesn't really matter to me.
Your lies mean plenty to me, you're rewriting events and misleading people. Hell, throughout the match the commentators themselves were talking about how much the pitch had eased up. Can't fanthom for a second how that pitch was swinging and seaming throughout, had that been the case, there would have been zero chance you would have made 200. It wasn't even swinging and seaming around throughout our first innings :)))

Last edited:
Azam is a very good prospect for Pak. I think Younis and Misbah should retire now and Babar should get a permanent place.

Given what conditions?

The ball has done very little to justify 200 all out.. if your batsmen had dug in, they would have put on 400..

You are talking absolute nonsense. The new ball was seaming around and if you bowled the right areas it was doing something.

Sohails Khan's wicket was a perfect example. Let me remind you Pak we're 12/3 and 55/5 when he came in. The fact that NZ bowled some trash this morning doesn't mean it became flat just so you can bewrittle Babar.

Honestly if you find it hard to praise someone than just zip it and say nothing at all.

Sure it looks that way to me.

Of course it must be "flat".

As soon as the only batsman gets close to a 100 it becomes Flat. This is not the UAE or India to make these claims.

How come no other player has got close to a 100 if the conditions were flat for batting ??

Unbelievable some of the bias shown at times.

Deserved a 100. Very good young player. Great decision by Arthur to put him at 3.

Sami
Azhar
Babar
Asad
Harris

That's a solid top 5 when Misbah and Younis retire

Deserved a 100. Very good young player. Great decision by Arthur to put him at 3.

Sami
Azhar
Babar
Asad
Harris

That's a solid top 5 when Misbah and Younis retire

I'd put Harris at 4 and asad at 5, coz asad has that habbit of getting out on 0:afridi, this could put team under pressure

I'd put Harris at 4 and asad at 5, coz asad has that habbit of getting out on 0:afridi, this could put team under pressure

True having a left hand and right hand combination is important as well

You are talking absolute nonsense. The new ball was seaming around and if you bowled the right areas it was doing something.

Sohails Khan's wicket was a perfect example. Let me remind you Pak we're 12/3 and 55/5 when he came in. The fact that NZ bowled some trash this morning doesn't mean it became flat just so you can bewrittle Babar.

Honestly if you find it hard to praise someone than just zip it and say nothing at all.
You're taking it so damn personally :facepalm:

If you watched the game, you would know the wicket was hardly difficult. Sure there were spells where the ball nipped around, but it was far from unplayable and difficult as some here are suggesting, it has done a lot more before and this was relatively easy to play.

Southee's second spell of the day was under cloud cover, hence he was able to trouble Sohail and Wahab. Before that it had become quite easy to bat on and the batsmen were scoring runs freely.

On day 2, the new ball did move around for the first 10 or so overs, but after that most of the movement had disappeared and Pakistan had started throwing away their wickets when they should have been scoring freely.

Last edited:
He played quite beautifully. Technically sound and he played straight. Lovely timing and a wonderful temperament. What a joy to see a true batsman after the hackers who have been over lauded in recent years.

One of the things that stood out for me was that in defence he played the ball late and with soft hands. And he looked compact.

I am sure he will be tested in Australia with the short ball, but here he showed a great defence along with lovely timing.

Agree with everything said, the lad looked classy and learnt from his mistake from the first innings of the first test.

You're taking it so damn personally :facepalm:

If you watched the game, you would know the wicket was hardly difficult. Sure there were spells where the ball nipped around, but it was far from unplayable and difficult as some here are suggesting, it has done a lot more before and this was relatively easy to play.

Southee's second spell of the day was under cloud cover, hence he was able to trouble Sohail and Wahab. Before that it had become quite easy to bat on and the batsmen were scoring runs freely.

On day 2, the new ball did move around for the first 10 or so overs, but after that most of the movement had disappeared and Pakistan had started throwing away their wickets when they should have been scoring freely.

No the truth is you find it hard to praise his superb batting masterclass because NZ couldn't get him out so it has to be because conditions were easy for him, right ?

Like I said stop bringing out nonsensical stuff like it flattened out for him. It's just pure excuses from you when you know Babar had to ride out all the wickets falling around him but stood like a wall right till the end.

We knew the guy had class since he was marked as a 15 year but after that innings I am convinced he will be in the team for the next few years. Just hope he working hard because he will get far if he does.

To be honest, i'm not that happy for his 90.

Not like i hate Babar Azam personally, he is a great player, played on this moving track, but the problemis Azhar ALi is not an opener, and with Babar performing, Pakistan won't be bringing in a new opener. The team is now gonna be a mess, and this is going to cost us big in the long run.

To be honest, i'm not that happy for his 90.

Not like i hate Babar Azam personally, he is a great player, played on this moving track, but the problemis Azhar ALi is not an opener, and with Babar performing, Pakistan won't be bringing in a new opener. The team is now gonna be a mess, and this is going to cost us big in the long run.

Mashallah he failed in 2-3 innings, and you jump to such a bing conclusion....

This 90* by Babar is the highest score by any batsman in this series so far from both teams...

Was a good knock in the circumstances where all the rest fell like dead flies he showed composure and resilience.

What I was a bit critical of was that he gave far more strike to the tail than they should've got and in return that cost him missing out on a deserving first test ton.

Of course it must be "flat".

As soon as the only batsman gets close to a 100 it becomes Flat. This is not the UAE or India to make these claims.

How come no other player has got close to a 100 if the conditions were flat for batting ??

Unbelievable some of the bias shown at times.

It was hard and not so hard to bat depending on time. Go back to match commentary thread and same thing was said by many in PP. Problem is too many chest thumpers come after the fact and start the hyping. Babar played a very good knock and should get all the praise, but you don't need to make up stuff.

Anyway, being a Pakistani it's understandable to have some bias here.

I called it flat before Babar made big runs in middle period. You can check in the match thread. Yes, Flat in NZ is still different than flat in UAE/India. Some of you should learn to accept different opinion and not accuse posters to making up stuff after the fact just because you see it differently. If some of you feel that it was extremely hard to bat all the time because it was seaming or swinging all the time then good for you.

Was a good knock in the circumstances where all the rest fell like dead flies he showed composure and resilience.

What I was a bit critical of was that he gave far more strike to the tail than they should've got and in return that cost him missing out on a deserving first test ton.

Batting with tail comes with experience.

Back