Babar Azam announces himself in the longest format - 90* versus New Zealand at Hamilton

It was hard and not so hard to bat depending on time. Go back to match commentary thread and same thing was said by many in PP. Problem is too many chest thumpers come after the fact and start the hyping. Babar played a very good knock and should get all the praise, but you don't need to make up stuff.

Anyway, being a Pakistani it's understandable to have some bias here.

Who is chest thumping ?? The only one making up stuff is you.

It's just cringeworthy when you and Aman start finding lame excuses to find holes in his innings. Yet I don't see your same nonsensical claims about batting being easy when Kohil or Rahane start scoring 100s.

I watched his innings from start to finish and it was a pure batting master class. And this guy Babar is only 22 years old yet he came at 3 when his team was 12/3 then 55/5 but carried his bat right till the end to go past 200 not out 90 when he certainly was destined to get a Ton.

How many played and misses in his entire innings ?? His defence was immaculate on every good ball, left the wide ones and punished the bad ones. That's why he's getting the praise he throughly deserves. It's not chest thumping !

The only bias is from a few in this thread, it's very clear evident who they are.

Last edited:
Who is chest thumping ?? The only one making up stuff is you.

It's just cringeworthy when you and Aman start finding lame excuses to find holes in his innings. Yet I don't see your same nonsensical claims about batting being easy when Kohil or Rahane start scoring 100s.

I watched his innings from start to finish and it was a pure batting master class. And this guy Babar is only 22 years old yet he came at 3 when his team was 12/3 then 55/5 but carried his bat right till the end to go past 200 not out 90 when he certainly was destined to get a Ton.

How many played and misses in his entire innings ?? His defence was immaculate on every good ball, left the bad ones and punished the bad ones. That's why he's getting the praise he throughly deserves. It's not chest thumping !

Wow, you are advocating that he played a gem of a knock and you think that I disagree here. You must be blind to not see all the praise I gave him in match thread and other places. Discussion was about pitch swinging or seaming entire time. Try to stick to the point of discussion.

Chest thumping comment is about making up stuff and accusing others to change comment after the fact. Go back to check in match thread. Babar had not crossed even 50 and I said it's much easier to bat now.

Last edited:
Wow, you are advocating that he played a gem of a knock and you think that I disagree here. You must be blind to not see all the praise I gave him in match thread and other places. Discussion was about pitch swinging or seaming entire time. Try to stick to the point of discussion.

Chest thumping comment is about making up stuff and accusing others to change comment after the fact. Go back to check in match thread. Babar had not crossed even 50 and I said it's much easier to bat now.

All excuses. Batting is easy, blah blah, pitch is flat once he crossed 50.

End the discussion. No point going further because as soon as someone crosses a milestone conditions Must become easy. I Understand the bias so that's not going to change. Let's see you make same saccusations against Indian batsmen as well. That will probably never happen though.

All excuses. Batting is easy, blah blah, pitch is flat once he crossed 50.

End the discussion. No point going further because as soon as someone crosses a milestone conditions Must become easy. I Understand the bias so that's not going to change. Let's see you make same saccusations against Indian batsmen as well. That will probably never happen though.

You are coming across as insecure here

There's no doubt that batting conditions today were much easier than first days and that will be evident in New Zealand innings tomorrow

There's no doubt that batting conditions today were much easier than first two days and that will be evident in New Zealand innings tomorrow

Actually towards the end when sun disappeared and cloud came out, ball again was doing something. So some phase it was easier, but not always. Over all, it was a gem of a knock and hardly matters if got ton or not. This knock will give Babar a huge confidence boost.

There's no doubt that batting conditions today were much easier than first days and that will be evident in New Zealand innings tomorrow

Actually I'm not.

Just because you want to be goody goody and neutral with everyone doesn't mean I'm insecure.

If he had played and missed no doubt the same doubters would have said "but he was lucky".

I just judged what I saw and when some say it's all good for batting then I simply say scores should have been higher but they were not because this lad shined above the rest.

It was flawless, period.

Babar is already a better and more dependable batsman than Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq. FACT.

YK better keep a keen eye on the rear view mirror of his fishing boat, Babar is getting bigger and bigger.

I find it funny that when someone praises a player, and correctly adds context and constructive criticism, it is met with annoyance and hyperbole of the value of the innings.

For some reason we Pakistanis are so insecure about our team that if someone criticizes in any fashion, we have to rush to their defense as though everyone is against us.

Unfortunately people are acting like this 90 not out was one of the greatest innings in the history of cricket and the few people who have said the pitch and bowling wasn't the best today have been met with vitriol.

As you have correctly said. Very impressive for Babar, but it's just one innings and despite the fact he stood out, it doesn't mean he did something so original that we need to put him on a pedestal.

As with a test match, careers are judged long term on a holistic basis, not these minute to minute updates. Well done Babar, and I do anticipate great things, but a test player to me should be truly given credit years down the line, because many players have blips on the radar, and trying to show the picture of what happened is criticism, it is what a learned fan should do.

I find it funny that when someone praises a player, and correctly adds context and constructive criticism, it is met with annoyance and hyperbole of the value of the innings.

For some reason we Pakistanis are so insecure about our team that if someone criticizes in any fashion, we have to rush to their defense as though everyone is against us.

Unfortunately people are acting like this 90 not out was one of the greatest innings in the history of cricket and the few people who have said the pitch and bowling wasn't the best today have been met with vitriol.

I think conditions may look a lot harder for some fans if team is not scoring any run. It happens with SA fans as well. All of us watched the same match and I think it's fine to have a different opinion. Accusation of having certain opinion after seeing an outcome is annoying when you had the same opinion before knowing the outcome. That's my only problem.

As you have correctly said. Very impressive for Babar, but it's just one innings and despite the fact he stood out, it doesn't mean he did something so original that we need to put him on a pedestal.

As with a test match, careers are judged long term on a holistic basis, not these minute to minute updates. Well done Babar, and I do anticipate great things, but a test player to me should be truly given credit years down the line, because many players have blips on the radar, and trying to show the picture of what happened is criticism, it is what a learned fan should do.

It's just the start from Babar, but if I have to make a prediction, he should have a good career. He has a good defense, temperament and shots for that. Pakistan can still mess it up by expecting too much too early or chopping/changing positions or simply dropping him if he fails few times. An extended run at the same position with clear role in team should work in favor of Babar.

Came here to say this as well, nicely put. It was the same thing with Amir last year with the overexaggeration.

Great innings nonetheless.

Congratulations to Babar Azam on a fine knock, fully deserved a 100, this has to be one of the best knocks by a Pakistani youngster in Testing conditions since Asad Shafiq's 111 vs South Africa in Cape Town..

Sami Aslam's knock also come into contention in this category for his knock vs England in the 2nd innings.. But I would rate Azam's better since he carried on for the whole innings, remained not out, and kept chipping away the runs whenever he got an opportunity.. Others have been guilty of not hitting the ball even they get an opporutunity, but this guy drives and flicks equally well.. has power in his shots, and has a release shot on top of a very good defense..

Definitely seems to have worked on the mistakes he made in the first Test Match.. Very proud of this guy!!

Either you didn't watch the match or are making stuff up. It was definitely not seaming and swinging throughout.

There was a lean patch between Sarfaraz and Sohail's knock that lasted 10-15overs, but then breeze started and overcast conditions made the ball talk.. besides those 15 overs it swung all round

Looks like an exciting talent.

Haven't watched him bat much but will check in.

Guys....he has brains right?

Hope he is not like his cousin Ummy bhai.

Up till now the only thing that he resembles his cousin in is looks and attitude(I don't mean indiscipline wala), other than that Babar is his own man. Thank God.

Up till now the only thing that he resembles his cousin in is looks and attitude(I don't mean indiscipline wala), other than that Babar is his own man. Thank God.

Good to hear.

From what I am hearing from posters and seeing from scorecard, Pakistan may have their first all format, all conditions explosive batsman in Babar.

[MENTION=141557]Chief Destroyer[/MENTION] rates him too.

Has he scored a 100 in Test Matches?

Obviously, and probably the best Test ton by a young Pak bat in a good while! Who beats the record? Can't think of anyone batting like that against a raging Shane Bond in New Zealand.

What's wrong with being like Umar Akmal in Tests? Umar was a beauty in Tests and played unbelievably good knocks.

There was a time when Sarfaraz and Sohail were having a field day, with a boundary every over, I was a little critical of Babar since he wasn't hitting the lose balls away..

But what he was doing was keeping one end secure, and allowing the partner to be the aggressor, and he would occassionally chip in with a boundary here and there..

I kept hearing 'Shabash Lala' as praise for Sohail Khan, I also saw him regretting not getting a second run when Amir was on strike as he wanted to protect the tailender.. His strike rate is a true indication of how well he applied himself and stayed patient, didn't go overly beserk even in batting friendly conditions

Batting with tail comes with experience.

That's fine but it's common sense that you know you're batting with the tail who can't score a run and you're the proper batsman so it's common sense that you take most of the strike.

But yes common sense is something we are 'aloof' of.

What's wrong with being like Umar Akmal in Tests? Umar was a beauty in Tests and played unbelievably good knocks.

Not knocks, but knock. Singular. In his first match. That's it.

Umar Akmal has no brains. Like really none.

Plus he resorts to slogging too early these days.

That's his problem.

Plus from what I see of him in twitter, he really is a hopeless case. The only way he can do something of note is if someone is CONSTANTLY on his backside instructing him what to do every over.

A player needs brains to develop his game, analyze his mistakes, make slight changes in his batting according to conditions, make changes in his shot selection according to pitch, make changes to the way he scores his runs (quick or slow) depending upon conditions/match situation....

If I can't trust Ummy bhai to tell me 1+1 = 2......how can I trust him to make all these adjustments to succeed in international cricket?

There was a time when Sarfaraz and Sohail were having a field day, with a boundary every over, I was a little critical of Babar since he wasn't hitting the lose balls away..

But what he was doing was keeping one end secure, and allowing the partner to be the aggressor, and he would occassionally chip in with a boundary here and there..

I kept hearing 'Shabash Lala' as praise for Sohail Khan, I also saw him regretting not getting a second run when Amir was on strike as he wanted to protect the tailender.. His strike rate is a true indication of how well he applied himself and stayed patient, didn't go overly beserk even in batting friendly conditions

Early signs are good. This was an excellent 91* when the whole team was down on confidence.

He scored in his first match

Well I looked at the highlights right now, that's a very good knock but lets be honest NZ's bowling attack wasn't as good as this one, despite Bond in the lineup..

Second this was more of a batting friendly wicket, NZ scored 430 in the first innings, and the current pitches are more livelier than that

Still though nothing to take away from Junior, he did look like a future great when he played like that..

Always rated this guy highly ever since I watched him in the u-19 world cup. Seems a compact player. He along with KL Rahul will be the next big gun players from Asia.

Comparing Juniors early success to Babar's... I would say the start of both their careers was pretty similar..

However I think Umar's six hitting ability got the better of him and he started enjoying the shorter formats more.. I think t20 cricket and shorter formats ruined him

I mean it was insane how he could hit sixes at will against Mitchell Johnson, and Umar himself knew he was special, he could do things other batsmen couldn't

Ian Smith says in commentary for Umar Akmal 'We have seen a player who we will be talking about for next 10-15 years'

Thats the price for overrating a player beyond exaggeration by us, Umar looked so good it was unbelievable.. it was almost too good to be true.. he proved it later on

Comparing Juniors early success to Babar's... I would say the start of both their careers was pretty similar..

However I think Umar's six hitting ability got the better of him and he started enjoying the shorter formats more.. I think t20 cricket and shorter formats ruined him

I mean it was insane how he could hit sixes at will against Mitchell Johnson, and Umar himself knew he was special, he could do things other batsmen couldn't

Dropping him from the test was the biggest mistake, playing too much T20 cricket ruined his game. Asad and Azhar had the luxury to play on roads of UAE and Umar Akmal played his 95% matches outside Asia

Your lies mean plenty to me, you're rewriting events and misleading people. Hell, throughout the match the commentators themselves were talking about how much the pitch had eased up. Can't fanthom for a second how that pitch was swinging and seaming throughout, had that been the case, there would have been zero chance you would have made 200. It wasn't even swinging and seaming around throughout our first innings :)))
It was definitely seaming. You can keep making yourself believe otherwise.

There was a small 10-15 over period where the pitch eased up. That's probably the only period [MENTION=132954]Aman[/MENTION] watched.

Most flawless innings I've personally witnessed.
Mickey Arthur should be congratulated for realizing that a test junior Babar Azam is batter top order batsman than a test senior Asad Shafiq and switch their spots.

The next highest scores in the series are 61 and 55. Here we have geniuses telling us the conditions are easy out there. Simply ridiculous.

The next highest scores in the series are 61 and 55. Here we have geniuses telling us the conditions are easy out there. Simply ridiculous.
We will find out today what the conditions are like

The damage was done in first couple of days and yesterday we mostly saw runs. In any case failure of other Pak batsmen doesn't mean anything because we have a history of collapsing on easiest of pitches. Which is why I say lets judge the pitch on how New Zealand do today

Not to say it's an easy pitch by any means but some people here are trying to put forward a narrative as if it's a green mamba from day one.

Babar is already a better and more dependable batsman than Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq. FACT.

YK better keep a keen eye on the rear view mirror of his fishing boat, Babar is getting bigger and bigger.

I don't see why praising one player should involving slating others.

It was an excellent knock by Babar given the match situation. We have a sniff of a chance of saving this series now.

Superb innings. He has the potential to average 45+ in both tests and ODIs, with a balanced record everywhere, and maybe even more.

The damage was done in first couple of days and yesterday we mostly saw runs. In any case failure of other Pak batsmen doesn't mean anything because we have a history of collapsing on easiest of pitches. Which is why I say lets judge the pitch on how New Zealand do today

Not to say it's an easy pitch by any means but some people here are trying to put forward a narrative as if it's a green mamba from day one.

What is a green mamba? How much more grass can you leave on a wicket?

There were around 40 overs bowled yesterday and most of the runs were counterattacking by Sarfaraz and Sohail. When batsmen counterattack, to the untrained eye, it will always give the impression the pitch has eased out when in fact it hasn't.

Seaming pitches are difficult to bat on not because the ball jags around 10-15 inches but because every 2nd ball deviates off the pitch just enough to catch the edge which means you're never really in. On honest pitches, batsman can trust their forward or backward defence to middle the ball which isn't the case here. Even on a solid forward defence played right under your eyes, the ball could be hitting your edge which causes uncertainty in the batsman's mind. A slight misjudgement and you'll be back in the pavilion. Playing through the line is out of the question. What a batsman can do is present as much bat surface as possible, covering the 2nd and 4th stump region, playing the ball late as possible and at point of contact the bat is on downwards trajectory. And leaving anything else from 5th stump onwards. This is what Babar did better than others. He was more assured of his defence, rarely if at all beaten on the outside edge. It truly was a standout knock for me. I've never seen a 21-22 year old playing his 3rd test match with such a compact defence.

There were around 40 overs bowled yesterday and most of the runs were counterattacking by Sarfaraz and Sohail. When batsmen counterattack, to the untrained eye, it will always give the impression the pitch has eased out when in fact it hasn't.

Seaming pitches are difficult to bat on not because the ball jags around 10-15 inches but because every 2nd ball deviates off the pitch just enough to catch the edge which means you're never really in. On honest pitches, batsman can trust their forward or backward defence to middle the ball which isn't the case here. Even on a solid forward defence played right under your eyes, the ball could be hitting your edge which causes uncertainty in the batsman's mind. A slight misjudgement and you'll be back in the pavilion. Playing through the line is out of the question. What a batsman can do is present as much bat surface as possible, covering the 2nd and 4th stump region, playing the ball late as possible and at point of contact the bat is on downwards trajectory. And leaving anything else from 5th stump onwards. This is what Babar did better than others. He was more assured of his defence, rarely if at all beaten on the outside edge. It truly was a standout knock for me. I've never seen a 21-22 year old playing his 3rd test match with such a compact defence.

Well see today

Good analysis

Well see today

So did pitch got much better to bat each day or we had green mamba going on this entire test? What's the verdict? Citing highest score is never a right way to deduce what happen entire day with pitch otherwise some one can claim that Taylor played an ATG knock on green mamba due to having highest score in series so far.

Anyway, to me it looked simple. Pitch kept getting browner each day and Pakistan missed an opportunity to bowl NZ out cheaply when bowling first and then batted very poor to get out cheaply. Pitch is pretty good to bat, but I think 370 may be too much to chase. Let's see if chase is on or not.

Last edited:
Back