Bad form for Australian crowds to boo a Test centurion

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
I know that Pakistani supporters have done horrid things in the past, but booing a Test centurion by Australians must rank as the lowest thing ever!

I do not condone Faf and feel he should have been banned for this Test but he was allowed to play and that is the end of the matter

For a crowd to boo a Test player like that surely needs condemnation from Australian players as well. Their silence on this matter is another story...

Fafs a big boy and can look after himself.

It seemed like the fans were trolling him more than actually booing him.

Good way of shutting them up I suppose, but nothing wrong with the crowd reaction tbf.

Good way of shutting them up I suppose, but nothing wrong with the crowd reaction tbf.

Yes, it's only problem when low cast Bangladesh crowd goes silent after a boundary by tourist - rest are in elite class.

Yes, it's only problem when low cast Bangladesh crowd goes silent after a boundary by tourist - rest are in elite class.

We cant justify that either!

If that's the worst thing that has been done then how good are cricket crowds.

If that's the worst thing that has been done then how good are cricket crowds.

Of course criminal acts are not being discussed here but from a country which prides itself on having a cricket savvy population, this is low indeed.

Of course criminal acts are not being discussed here but from a country which prides itself on having a cricket savvy population, this is low indeed.

Sometimes this is the only way supporters can express themselves when something controversial happens and with Faf cheating in the last test there was always going to be some backlash. I don't think Faf will lose too much sleep over it.

I think you guys don't really get how the South African response from the team and senior players like Faf and Amla in particular and from players outside the team like Steyn have come across here.

Everyone in Australia has recognised that South Africa have played extremely well and deserve their success and we all recognise that our batting in particular is really weak. Nobody actually thinks Faf should be suspended.

And nobody particularly cared about Faf shining the ball until the weird South African response where first they had Amla, flanked by the entire supportings staff treating the entire cricket public like we were a bunch of five year olds who would believe the rubbish he was sprouting (which currently South Africa are contradicting anyway with their defence).
And then Steyn comes in out of nowhere and starts claiming that we're all apparently just trying to find excuses or what not while Faf decides he wants to keep on stirring up stuff by sticking out his tongue while making sure lollies are clearly visible on it.

If you want to treat people like idiots and stir stuff up don't be surprised when people don't like you in the end.

And even then most of it was having him as a pantomine villain like Broad, Kohli, KP etc before him and I'd note that the Australian cricket public actually likes all three of those players.

But yeah if you want a fight and you want to be arrogant don't be surprised that crowds don't like you.

And yes people will point out that Australian teams have done the same thing in the past and I'll respond by reminding you that there is a reason why a lot of you (possibly a majority tbh and there are definitely people here on PP who hate Australia with a passion because of it).
And that is fine but don't be surprised when some Australian crowds - and on the tv by the way it sounded like 90% of the crowd was applauding) also think the same way about teams that you think about us.

And yes Faf wasn't a popular player here before this anyway. We all remember him calling our players a pack of dogs.

Get that chip off your shoulder. I disagree with how Aussie fans behave at times, but this is in-regards to the opposition captain being found guilty of ball-tampering. I guess we'd expect a standing ovation and high-fives...

Lyon to du Plessis, 2 runs, gets low and paddle-sweeps to fine leg to get to his ton. This has been some knock. Removes his helmet, soaks in the applause. What a knock this has been.

Lyon to du Plessis, 2 runs, gets low and paddle-sweeps to fine leg to get to his ton. This has been some knock. Removes his helmet, soaks in the applause. What a knock this has been.

Bambi wants something to have a bloody cry about so let him

“I was expecting a little bit of hostility but not to that extent,” he admitted at stumps. “When I came out I was aware of it (the boos) but as the innings went on it disappeared a bit. To be honest when I got to a hundred I wasn’t expecting to still get booed, that was pretty disappointing. I’m proud of today, it was a big day for me to stand up as a captain and make sure I lead from the front. To get through all of that and this week in the manner that I did today makes me proud of today’s performance.

“I was expecting a little bit of hostility but not to that extent,” he admitted at stumps. “When I came out I was aware of it (the boos) but as the innings went on it disappeared a bit. To be honest when I got to a hundred I wasn’t expecting to still get booed, that was pretty disappointing. I’m proud of today, it was a big day for me to stand up as a captain and make sure I lead from the front. To get through all of that and this week in the manner that I did today makes me proud of today’s performance.

You will never read about a SA player saying something good about touring Australia, they take on a siege mentality when playing here.

Some like to concentrate on a majority of the crowd. Others don't.

But in the end Faf has a century and has played in two winning test series in Australia and Captained his team to this one and Australia face the very real prospect of our worst home series lost in 140 years.

So he should be able to live with that.

His team has played great cricket and he scored a very good century and that is all that matters.

You will never read about a SA player saying something good about touring Australia, they take on a siege mentality when playing here.

How come? I'd imagine some of them even have relatives in Australia

I always thought the Aussie and English crowds appreciated good cricket and applauded even an opposition player if he performed well. This is indeed bad form from them..

I didn't find the crowd reaction offensive tbh. Australian public generally likes a pantomime villain and players like KP, Kohli and Broad have been greeted with a booed reception in the past (worse in the case of Broad). All three of those players are fiesty or pretty animated characters and they probably enjoyed the reception and getting under the skin of the Aussies more. Australians generally like to play hard cricket and you could say they hate characters like Botham, KP, Kohli et al probably because they, in a way, reflect their own character and makes them feel how other fans feel about Aussie cricketers (subcontinent fans are not any better either).

But the Australian public also by and large respects the players they like to hate upon. You could see that after Faf reached his century, there were one or two boos but that was drowned soon by a standing ovation given to him. Adelaide crowd is one of the better behaved crowds of Australia as far as I know and I think Faf is just having a sook here. He could've just let it go instead of having a sook about it in the press conference.

What I found ridiculous though was the way Healy was whining that Faf shouldn't be playing when he was making his way to the crease. I mean, fans are fans and they are pretty much the same everywhere. But Healy was constantly whining about Faf which was pretty embarrassing, though not entirely surprising considering channel nine's reputation. KP though was repeatedly supporting Faf and probably was doing that more to annoy Healy.

Well it will be interesting to see if they boo Warner as well. Since the Aussie crowd don't "want to be taken for idiots and treated like 5 year olds". They hate all forms of "obvious cheating" and are champions of fair play and true spirit of the game.
Unless applying lip-balm to a cricket ball isn't so obvious, then you tell me who are the idiots.

Poor and arrogant behavior really, they would have been better of booing their gutless team. Not at any stage during the entire series have they shown marbles to compete. But hey let's find a scapegoat.

Aus crowd got to find some way to keep them entertained.

Well it will be interesting to see if they boo Warner as well. Since the Aussie crowd don't "want to be taken for idiots and treated like 5 year olds". They hate all forms of "obvious cheating" and are champions of fair play and true spirit of the game.
Unless applying lip-balm to a cricket ball isn't so obvious, then you tell me who are the idiots.

Poor and arrogant behavior really, they would have been better of booing their gutless team. Not at any stage during the entire series have they shown marbles to compete. But hey let's find a scapegoat.

And once again we get the typical Saffer attitude and persecution complex about how nothing South Africa could do is possibly wrong and it is all apparently Australia just trying to find an excuse.

And once again we get the typical Saffer attitude and persecution complex about how nothing South Africa could do is possibly wrong and it is all apparently Australia just trying to find an excuse.

Nice of you to try and extrapolate my main line of argument. Never have I insinuated that SA are saints.
However I won't accept nor get into any argument or debate as to what constitutes "blatant" cheating or what a view.
What may not be obvious to you maybe obvious to me or the next person and vice versa.
It's dangerous to ignore any form of cheating, no matter how sophisticated or well disguised the nature of the crime.

Nice of you to try and extrapolate my main line of argument. Never have I insinuated that SA are saints.
However I won't accept nor get into any argument or debate as to what constitutes "blatant" cheating or what review.
What may not be obvious to you maybe obvious to me or the next person and vice versa.
It's dangerous to ignore any form of cheating, no matter how sophisticated or well disguised the nature of the crime.

I don't care whatsoever about the ball and the mints and don't think Faf should have been charged. Nobody does.

But the South African team wants this shield mentality and wants to think that apparently we're all out to deflect and to get them.

How else do you even explain this thread when 90%+ of the crowd was applauding his century as was obvious to anyone watching the test or listening on the radio or on the cricinfo commentary and all the articles and everything except Faf because apparently 90% of the crowd applauding him isn't good enough when he can have another cry about how the bad Australians are bad sports and whatever.

Your team is great and I have enjoyed watching South Africa a lot over the past decade even when you have beaten us but as a team South Africa have acted arrogantly this tour and deliberately stirred up fights and chosen to take offence at everything so yeah while I respect him a lot as a player I'll be happy when Faf and his lot sod off.

If Aus crowd is booing you ,you have done well and got under their nerves and also got their hidden respect,achievement I say!

I don't care whatsoever about the ball and the mints and don't think Faf should have been charged. Nobody does.

But the South African team wants this shield mentality and wants to think that apparently we're all out to deflect and to get them.

How else do you even explain this thread when 90%+ of the crowd was applauding his century as was obvious to anyone watching the test or listening on the radio or on the cricinfo commentary and all the articles and everything except Faf because apparently 90% of the crowd applauding him isn't good enough when he can have another cry about how the bad Australians are bad sports and whatever.

Your team is great and I have enjoyed watching South Africa a lot over the past decade even when you have beaten us but as a team South Africa have acted arrogantly this tour and deliberately stirred up fights and chosen to take offence at everything so yeah while I respect him a lot as a player I'll be happy when Faf and his lot sod off.

These guys have been provoked and it's only right that they feel incensed. Don't you agree?
Why would a "non issue" be brought to the attention of the ICC whilst other incidences were ignored by the Australian media? What was that about?
Is it not an excuse to deflect on how poor Australia have been?
Why did the ICC not review the entire match footage? For all purposes SA could have had another player "minting" the ball, never mind Warner or other Australian players.

How is it possible for the ICC to have missed the Kohli incident as well? Which was picked up by the media barely hours after Faf was charged. This is all to convenient for me.

Why can't Australians just let cricket do the talking? Cricket isn't a soap opera. If you guys like drama then a cricket match isn't the ideal place for that. Even the sledging has gotten old. It looks stupid especially when a team does it losing heavily.

These guys have been provoked and it's only right that they feel incensed. Don't you agree?
Why would a "non issue" be brought to the attention of the ICC whilst other incidences were ignored by the Australian media? What was that about?
Why did the ICC not review the entire match footage? For all purposes SA could have had another player "minting" the ball, never mind Warner or other Australian players.

How is it possible for the ICC to have missed the Kohli incident as well? Which was picked up by the media barely hours after Faf was charged. This is all to convenient for me.

Why can't Australians just let cricket do the talking? Cricket isn't a soap opera. If you guys like drama then a cricket match isn't the ideal place for that. Even the sledging has gotten old. It looks stupid especially when a team does it losing heavily.

The only drama has come from Amla and Faf himself, its a non story, had any other player been reported they would have just pleaded guilty and got on with it. Faf's biggest problem is he wont let anyone forget about it.

That is completely false. SA have always loved playing in Australia even when we used to sacrifice our summer to be there. Ironically Australia never once returned the favour. I understand the revenues they generate especially the boxing day Test. Never once did they moan.
The 2008 tour is rated as our best overseas triumph to date, all positive reviews.
SA has always looked forward to facing hostile Aussie, within acceptable behavior. Makhaya Ntini was constantly racially abused over there, SA let it slide under the carpet.

In general we've let a lot of nonsense slide, but enough is enough now. Let cricket be the topic, enough with instigation.

Nobody was deflecting anything about how poor Australia is. In fact everyones been going on about it a lot and been complaining about pretty much every player in the team and all the coaches bar Hazlewood and Starc. And the media want Lyon sacked for good and Lehmann under pressure and attacking all the selectors and going on about how its one of the worst Australian teams ever and how the sheffield shield is a mess and how everything is wrong blah blah.

The only deflection was trying to claim that Australia was making excuses to deflect from Faf getting caught red handed.

Even Neil Manthorp who is actually over here in Australia acknowledged that this wasn't even an issue until Amla's press conference where he started comparing it to having food residue in your mouth after lunch and not brushing your teeth.

The ICC didn't want to punish Faf but had to because the footage was out. They even managed to find a way to pretend it was a first offence by completely ignoring the zipper thing.

And while odd that was the correct result because Faf obviously should not have been suspended.

But as Gilly pointed out its quite clearly a South African tactic to take a siege mentality approach when touring Australia and it evidently works given how successful you guys are over here. But if you want to take that "everyone in Australia is completely against you" approach to everything don't be surprised if you start actually pushing some people against you.

And even then the vast majority of people at the ground applauded Faf.

And you get this from a South African reporter who was at the match
That is not as far-fetched as it seems. At the end of the first day of this Test, Adelaide loved him as much as he loves it.

The cheers outweighed the boos when du Plessis ran to the Riverbank Stand in celebration of his second century at this venue.

And even other sites during the ball to ball commentary noted the applause for Fafs century but apparently Faf wants to bring up the 5% of the crowd that booed instead and start complaining about how Australian crowds are horrible and what not.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only drama has come from Amla and Faf himself, its a non story, had any other player been reported they would have just pleaded guilty and got on with it. Faf's biggest problem is he wont let anyone forget about it.

But why the inconsistency?
Don't you get how this looks?
We win a Test and a series Faf gets charged. And the worst part is had we lost Warner would still not be charged just like Kohli.
Charge everyone, without fear. Trust me you won't have Amla in front of a camera making any sort of statements.
Or does India, England and Australia have their own set of rules? If that's the case then the ICC need to clarify that.

Agreed. The whole Amla thing was quite silly.

Nobody was deflecting anything about how poor Australia is. In fact everyones been going on about it a lot and been complaining about pretty much every player in the team and all the coaches bar Hazlewood and Starc. And the media want Lyon sacked for good and Lehmann under pressure and attacking all the selectors and going on about how its one of the worst Australian teams ever and how the sheffield shield is a mess and how everything is wrong blah blah.

The only deflection was trying to claim that Australia was making excuses to deflect from Faf getting caught red handed.

Even Neil Manthorp who is actually over here in Australia acknowledged that this wasn't even an issue until Amla's press conference where he started comparing it to having food residue in your mouth after lunch and not brushing your teeth.

The ICC didn't want to punish Faf but had to because the footage was out. They even managed to find a way to pretend it was a first offence by completely ignoring the zipper thing.

And while odd that was the correct result because Faf obviously should not have been suspended.

But as Gilly pointed out its quite clearly a South African tactic to take a siege mentality approach when touring Australia and it evidently works given how successful you guys are over here. But if you want to take that "everyone in Australia is completely against you" approach to everything don't be surprised if you start actually pushing some people against you.

And even then the vast majority of people at the ground applauded Faf.

And you get this from a South African reporter who was at the match

And even other sites during the ball to ball commentary noted the applause for Fafs century but apparently Faf wants to bring up the 5% of the crowd that booed instead and start complaining about how Australian crowds are horrible and what not.
if that's the case how did this issue find its way to the hands of the ICC and only one player charged?

But why the inconsistency?
Don't you get how this looks?
We win a Test and a series Faf gets charged. And the worst part is had we lost Warner would still not be charged just like Kohli.
Charge everyone, without fear. Trust me you won't have Amla in front of a camera making any sort of statements.
Or does India, England and Australia have their own set of rules? If that's the case then the ICC need to clarify that.

That has nothing to do with Australia, you are ranting about Australia over something the ICC decided. What Faf did was bordering on stupid, he could have done it without it being so obvious so he has no one to blame but himself. The only difference between him and Aus, Eng and Ind is they have been a lot smarter than him, not different rules just common sense.

if that's the case how did this issue find its way to the hands of the ICC and only one player charged?

Well because footage of him doing it was out in public so they had no choice but to charge him when they would really prefer to not charge players for that.

Its why they actually gave a lenient penalty especially considering Misbah got a one test suspension this week as well for over rates

Watched the highlights and most of the crowd was applauding, not a lot of boos.

Faf came out in the media and said he was disappointed that he goes some boo's - bloody aussie fans.

I've never understood the sentiment of applauding an opposing player for doing well against your team.

You never see that in the NBA, NHL, NFL, or MLB barring rare occasions.

nothing wrong with booing. the crowd paid good money to come watch they game, and they aren't harming anyone

stop being so sensitive

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/86896012/booing-faf-went-too-far-aussie-boss

Fans went too far by booing South African captain Faf du Plessis' century, Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland says.

Du Plessis was jeered by the Adelaide Oval crowd throughout his ton against Australia in the third Test on Thursday, and particularly when he reached the milestone.

The Proteas' skipper said he expected some hostility after being found guilty by the International Cricket Council of ball tampering.

Faf du Plessis in thought during his press conference on Wednesday.

But he was disappointed the booing continued when he scored his century - and Sutherland agreed.

"It's a little bit of theatrics ... he batted beautifully and I don't think he deserved any boos after a great hundred like that," Sutherland told ABC radio on Friday.

"That is sport and maybe just a little bit of fun that people in the crowd are having.

"But perhaps that fun just went a little bit too far at the end."

Du Plessis will appeal his ball-tampering verdict, which resulted in a fine of his entire match fee from the second Test and three demerit points.

"I was expecting a little bit of hostility but not to that extent," du Plessis told reporters after play on Thursday night.

"When I came out, I was obviously quite aware of it. As the innings went on, it disappeared a bit.

"But to be really honest with you guys, when I got to 100, I wasn't expecting to still get booed. So that was pretty disappointing."

South Africa have appealed du Plessis being found guilty of tampering, and losing his match fee saying law 42.3 is unclear in its definition of what constitutes an artificial substance.

Du Plessis was found to have used saliva modified by a sweet to polish the ball in the second test.

In appealing, South Africa has said law 42.3 is unclear in its definition of what constitutes an artificial substance.

But the International Cricket Council (ICC) said it is "disappointed" with the appeal.

Chief executive David Richardson in Adelaide emphasised his organisation's understanding of the fair-and unfair-play laws.

"These state that a player should not use artificial substances to shine the ball," he said in a statement.

"The ICC understands that to include, but is not limited to, sunscreen, lip ice and residue from sweets."

While the ICC "does not wish to prevent players from using these substances for legitimate purposes ... any deliberate attempt to apply such substances to the ball, as was the case here, will not be acceptable."

Richardson did not rule out the possibility that the law could be changed, but stressed that until such an amendment, the laws in their current form would be applied.

I've never understood the sentiment of applauding an opposing player for doing well against your team.

You never see that in the NBA, NHL, NFL, or MLB barring rare occasions.

well he wasnt booed because he is doing well or is an oppositions played

he was booed because hes been found guilty of cheating twice

Back