Best and Worst Commentators from each country?

Bazid Khan, Sikandar Bakht and Urooj Mumtaz - all of them have good English skills and hardly make any English gaffes. The downside to their commentary is that none of them have the voices nor the enthusiasm required for commentary. So it sounds pretty bland. But I'd still rather listen to these three than the likes of Wasim/Waqar/Amir Sohail. Ramiz has no knowledge about Pakistan cricketers but has the voice and enthusiasm for commentary.

For me, Bill Lawry, Tony Greig and now Ian Smith remains the gold standard. Imagine Tony Grieg commentating on that Naseem Shah's reverse swinging yorker to Shipley. He would've made that moment so much more enjoyable. All those mickey mouse Sharjah tournaments were lit up with Greig's commentary. One of the reasons why Pakistanis love that Sharjah tied game against Sri Lanka was because of Tony Greig and Barry Richards commentating. Imagine Bazid Khan and Amir Sohail in that moment. Horror.

Sikander Bakht speaks like he's turned up at a funeral.

Bazid Khan, Sikandar Bakht and Urooj Mumtaz - all of them have good English skills and hardly make any English gaffes. The downside to their commentary is that none of them have the voices nor the enthusiasm required for commentary. So it sounds pretty bland. But I'd still rather listen to these three than the likes of Wasim/Waqar/Amir Sohail. Ramiz has no knowledge about Pakistan cricketers but has the voice and enthusiasm for commentary.

For me, Bill Lawry, Tony Greig and now Ian Smith remains the gold standard. Imagine Tony Grieg commentating on that Naseem Shah's reverse swinging yorker to Shipley. He would've made that moment so much more enjoyable. All those mickey mouse Sharjah tournaments were lit up with Greig's commentary. One of the reasons why Pakistanis love that Sharjah tied game against Sri Lanka was because of Tony Greig and Barry Richards commentating. Imagine Bazid Khan and Amir Sohail in that moment. Horror.

Bakht is very good on domestic commentary, where he demonstrates more of his personality, asks questions, posits scenarios etc. Essentially, this one day series is his first ‘big’ international gig, so he’s being mechanical to secure his spot. I truly believe that once he’s secured his place, we’ll more of the real Sikander Bakht, who is a good co-commentator.

Sikander Bakht speaks like he's turned up at a funeral.

We know him well and I can assure you he is one of the most knowledgeable people in the circuit - I don't have a problem with his delivery at all as I feel all his thoughts are coming through for a good reason.

Best and Worst

Aus - Mark Nicholas and ?
Eng - Nasser Hussain, David Gower. No bad ones
India - Harsha Bhogle and Sanjay Manjrekar
New Zealand - Simon Doull and Danny Morrison
South Africa - Barry Richards and Shaun Pollock
Zimbabwe - Pommi Mbangwa and ?
Bangladesh - no good one. Athar Ali Khan is awful
Pakistan - Bazid Khan and Waqar Younis
West Indies - All are very good - Ian Bishop, Michael Holding, Tony Cozier.

My all time favourite though was Tony Greig. His style was brilliant.

Hoping against hope that Raja does not return to the commentary box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasim Akram
Aamer Sohail Waqar Younis the worst from Pakistan, Ramiz definitely head and shoulders above them.

From India Ravi Sanjay Ganguly top the list

Bangladesh never heard their commentary kept them on mute :))

Pietersen and Sangakkara are a horrible commentary duo.

Cricket is regarded as the gentlemen's game which has led to many off the field friendships like Virat Kohli and AB de Villiers, Virender Sehwag and Sachin Tendulkar, and many more. Apart from forming good bonds, cricket is known for creating some bitter rivalries, not just on-field but also off-field. One such infamous rivalry is between former England all-rounder Ian Botham and former Australia skipper Ian Chappell, who have been not in good terms since 1977. However, even after more than 40 years, things are not in place between them as the two greats have ignited their long feud once again.

Notably, both the players were involved in an altercation at a bar in Melbourne. Chappell claimed that Botham had tried to hit him with a broken glass, while Botham denied the allegation. After their successful stint as cricketers, both the players have now established themselves as renowned commentators.

Speaking for the Channel 9 documentary The Longest Feud, Chappell threw some light on their rivalry and went on to call Botham's commentary "the worst".

"I've had mates say 'why don't you just make up' and I say 'well, firstly, if he wants to apologise for the lies he has told I would accept that, but why would I make up and be friends with a guy who I have nothing in common with, I think his commentary is the worst of the long term commentators, I have no interest in his interests and I have nothing to talk to him about," Chappell was quoted as saying by Fox Sports.

"In other words, if I sat down with him it would be boring as hell to me and why do I want to put myself through that? So that probably gives you an indication of how much fun it was sitting down with him. I would have preferred the dentist's drill to sitting down there. I have nothing in common with the bloke apart from the same first name and, OK, we probably both played right-handed," he added.

NDTV

One thing is clear from this thread. The best and worst commentators is all a matter of personal opinion. The same commentator is the best for one person and the worst for another.

I noticed that Damien Fleming is also a fair and honest commentator who has a well balanced and non-bias commentary.

I still can't stand ANY of the Indian commentators - every one is more worse than the other in a recursive loop like scenario.

I was watching a T20 Blast game the other night.

Some of the worst commentary I have ever heard. They made some of the Pakistani commentators serm like Richie Benaud.

KP, Vaughan, Nicholas all make me want to mute, as do Danny Morrison and a lot of the IPL commentators. I do like Nasser, Athers, EBR and Pointing. Holding was great as of course was Richie Benaud.

Why are the PCB employing anyone who speaks English to do their commentary, regardless of how painful it is to just listen to them speak?

Don’t care about what insights they have or don’t have, it’s their basic commentary style that is SO PAINFUL to listen to, and is strongly dragging down the viewing experience for Pakistan cricket fans.

Three terrible orators, they add nothing to the excitement to the game and drag down an already pathetic product of playing style with mediocre commentary.

This isn’t the year 1970, why is the PCB not taking this seriously?

Thought this list was due an update.

England - Best: Michael Atherton, Worst: Alison Mitchell
Pakistan - Best: no one, Worst: Ramiz Raja
Australia - Best: Ricky Ponting, Worst: Mark Howard
India - Best: Sunil Gavaskar, Worst: Murali Karthik
West Indies - Best: Ian Bishop, Worst: Samuel Badree
New Zealand - Best: Ian Smith, Worst: Rebecca Rolls
South Africa - Best: Shaun Pollock, Worst: Kass Naidoo
Sri Lanka - Best: Kumar Sangakkara, Worst: Russell Arnold
Bangladesh - Best: no one, Worst: Athar Ali Khan
Zimbabwe - Best: Pommie Mbangwa, Worst: Ed Rainsford

Overall Ian Bishop is my favourite commentator in the world. While Athar Ali Khan is the absolute worst.

Overall Ian Bishop is my favourite commentator in the world. While Athar Ali Khan is the absolute worst.
Male players who have played at the highest level and captained their country are clearly the best for men's cricket.

I think one attribute a commentator needs to have is to be quite humble. This is a trait lacking in Pakistani commentators who get sanctimonious very very quickly.

Worst Indian Commentator is NO Brainer.

I can confidently say it is Murali Kartik.

The guy provides no insight. He Only wants to talk about the Indian superstars. Earlier he was obsessed with Dhoni and Kohli. After Dhoni retirement, he is now obsessed with Rohit and Kohli.

Why do you have an issue with Ramiz?

He pretty much endorses everything you do here.

Why do you have an issue with Ramiz?

He pretty much endorses everything you do here.
Their was an experiment done in Russia.
They found 2 people of the exact same opinions and tastes and views and those 2 people ended up hating each other.

Maybe we need to conduct another experiment redwood and ramiz 🫤

From bangladesh Tamim Iqbal is started the commentary stint and he is very good . A massive upgrade over Athar "OMG" Ali Khan.

I also find Waqar and Wasim to be terrible commentators. I'm surprised ICC actually hires them for their events. Probably just because they're big names

I haven't listened to Sana Mir enough to have an opinion but both Amir Sohail and Salman Butt are quite bad.

If I had to pick who is worse, I'd say Amir Sohail.

From bangladesh Tamim Iqbal is started the commentary stint and he is very good . A massive upgrade over Athar "OMG" Ali Khan.
He's the best Bangladeshi commentator which is like being the nicest guy is prison. It doesn't mean much

What others? You and your sidekick? Nobody here cares what I have to say besides you two clowns
Yet you feel the need to judge others on their cricket views and treat them as objective by claiming said views are rubbish?

If you think you're irrelevant and no one cares about what you think, then do you acknowledge that you don't matter whenever you claim my opinions and understanding of the game is poor?

What others? You and your sidekick? Nobody here cares what I have to say besides you two clowns
I asked you a basic question. I find it confusing how you think Ramiz is the worst commentator whilst this is someone who’s cricketing knowledge and what he promotes from a cricketing pov is pretty much what you and people of your mindset promote here. What exactly do you not like about Ramiz? Why don’t you clarify.

If it’s his cricketing logic and sense is what you hate…well you are being a hypocrite in that case.

If it’s his language, style and delivery is what you hate…well you sound stupid in that case because he is still one of the best spoken commentators from the sub-continent.

So which one is it?

Yet you feel the need to judge others on their cricket views and treat them as objective by claiming said views are rubbish?

If you think you're irrelevant and no one cares about what you think, then do you acknowledge that you don't matter whenever you claim my opinions and understanding of the game is poor?
I will judge whoever I want whenever I want. If you don't like it, he's the thing: I don't care.

You are the ones who start a conversation with me. And always get slapped verbally. Yet you guys still keep coming. The only conclusion I can come to is that you like to be slapped.

Btw, you understand cricket about as well as I understand Swahili.

I asked you a basic question. I find it confusing how you think Ramiz is the worst commentator whilst this is someone who’s cricketing knowledge and what he promotes from a cricketing pov is pretty much what you and people of your mindset promote here. What exactly do you not like about Ramiz? Why don’t you clarify.

If it’s his cricketing logic and sense is what you hate…well you are being a hypocrite in that case.

If it’s his language, style and delivery is what you hate…well you sound stupid in that case because he is still one of the best spoken commentators from the sub-continent.

So which one is it?
I have zero respect for your opinion or anything you have to say. So I don't feel the need to clarify anything to you.

I will judge whoever I want whenever I want. If you don't like it, he's the thing: I don't care.

You are the ones who start a conversation with me. And always get slapped verbally. Yet you guys still keep coming. The only conclusion I can come to is that you like to be slapped.

Btw, you understand cricket about as well as I understand Swahili.
Sounds like a roman reigns wrestling promo lol.

I have zero respect for your opinion or anything you have to say. So I don't feel the need to clarify anything to you.
Do I care?

What I care about is the nonsense you will spread and misguide others. I care a lot about that. That’s the reason why I am always on the case of ANYONE who is promoting a wrong view on cricket. This isn’t subjective anymore. Pakistan cricket has suffered a lot, and it seems that the ‘educated’ or ‘enlightened’ cricket fan is the one that has got it all wrong…and this falsehood is rubbing off on the new generation of cricket fans and writers who are continuing to promote false views.

So, be a man and not a little wuss. Why is it you hate Ramiz yet he promotes, endorses, enforces a cricketing view that aligns with yours??

Do I care?

What I care about is the nonsense you will spread and misguide others. I care a lot about that. That’s the reason why I am always on the case of ANYONE who is promoting a wrong view on cricket. This isn’t subjective anymore. Pakistan cricket has suffered a lot, and it seems that the ‘educated’ or ‘enlightened’ cricket fan is the one that has got it all wrong…and this falsehood is rubbing off on the new generation of cricket fans and writers who are continuing to promote false views.

So, be a man and not a little wuss. Why is it you hate Ramiz yet he promotes, endorses, enforces a cricketing view that aligns with yours??
You gotta help him write his lines. He's running out of wwe promos to keep up the act 🫨

What do you guys think of Urooj Mumtaz, Zainab is not bad at all I’m always hooked, but Urooj shockingly appears to add some decent insight, not listened to her a lot but the interviews she has done with Sky have been very good.

Do I care?

A person with such a poor understanding of cricket like you should be more focused on improving his own understanding of cricket, instead of focusing on ANYONE else.

Now take a hike uncle

What do you guys think of Urooj Mumtaz, Zainab is not bad at all I’m always hooked, but Urooj shockingly appears to add some decent insight, not listened to her a lot but the interviews she has done with Sky have been very good.
I don't like Urooj's delivery. As far as insight goes, she's okay. Fairly bearable. I think overall Bazid is the best when it comes to insight but his delivery is boring and bland.

Zainab is pretty good as a presenter.

I like Rameez! Mir OTOH ironically like pulling teeth out

Baz is great craic but very monotonous. The other guy's good. Sikander

Starting to grow on me. She's become the voice of Pakistan cricket on Sky.

She was asked about one of our players on one of their recent YT videos and immediately she was quoting their domestic numbers etc. You'd never get Ramiz, Wasim and co doing that level of research.

I'll never forget Wasim was asked during the 2018 series in England about who would replace Babar (who got injured in the Lord's Test) and he replied some guy called Ali Suleman.

He meant Usman Salahuddin...

She's pretty good by Pakistani standards.

Seems like there a massive gap in the market for a decent Pakistani commentator. A good chance for a recently retired player to step up.

That's easy. Aamer Sohail

Salman Butt's commentary is insightful. He doesn't talk rubbish. I'm glad we see him more regularly in commentary now

Starting to grow on me. She's become the voice of Pakistan cricket on Sky.

She was asked about one of our players on one of their recent YT videos and immediately she was quoting their domestic numbers etc. You'd never get Ramiz, Wasim and co doing that level of research.

I'll never forget Wasim was asked during the 2018 series in England about who would replace Babar (who got injured in the Lord's Test) and he replied some guy called Ali Suleman.

He meant Usman Salahuddin...

We are still waiting for the phantom of Ali Suleman to make his much hyped debut, it will be like Chris Jerico’s arrival in the WWF in 1999, there will be a countdown clock and everything.

Anyhow, bang on about Urooj, I picked that up as well, she was going into great detail on the player’s backgrounds and gave a pretty good overview in general of Pakistan cricket, not saying she’s the special one or a natural, but you can see the work she has put in and genuinely doesn’t sound like a class A moron which is so refreshing for Pak fans

Indian commentators are easily the best ones to me. All of them are best but i love Shastri and Sunny

Don't know why people criticise Rameez and Sohail. They are not bad

Back