Best and worst football commentators/pundits

Markhor

Post of the Week winner
Runs
Post of the Week
Football in particular is full of great commentators but equally some that make your ears bleed. Can be current and former commentators/pundits.

Best

David Coleman
Barry Davies
Peter Jones
Martin Tyler
Garth Crooks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBYpzPZzrqA :))))
Jimmy Hill
David Pleat
Brian Moore

Worst

Clive Tyldsley
Jon Champion
Jonathan Pearce
Mark Bright
Mark Lawrenson
Jon Motson (think he's past it IMHO)

Couldn't disagree more on Pearce and Bright, both excellent.

Worst?

Shearer
Townsend
Claridge

All shamefully inadequate for the jobs they have (but have not earned)

I disagree with the OP on Garth Crooks and and David Pleat, they are awful

Honestly the list of decent pundits is extremely small, there are too many average and rubbish pundits out there

Gabriel Marcotti is very good BUT does not get enough air time

One of the best, also very underrated IMO...

James Richardson - He was fantastic in the days of Football Italia on Channel 4, and he's fantastic in the weekly roundup he does with The Guardian and he's also responsible for a brilliant podcast.

I think Alan Smith is pretty good, gives credit where credits due even if its against Arsenal,
Glenn Hoddle is annoying
Ray Wilkins is decent although he just loves everything lol
I like Grame Souness's Bluntness

and how can u foget the the legend that is chris kamara

One of the best, also very underrated IMO...

James Richardson - He was fantastic in the days of Football Italia on Channel 4, and he's fantastic in the weekly roundup he does with The Guardian and he's also responsible for a brilliant podcast.

Aye Football Italia on Channel 4 was something else

I think Alan Smith is pretty good, gives credit where credits due even if its against Arsenal,
Glenn Hoddle is annoying
Ray Wilkins is decent although he just loves everything lol
I like Grame Souness's Bluntness

and how can u foget the the legend that is chris kamara

Only like Chris Kamara from those that you listed BUT that is for the comedy factor

Andy Gray.

From the listed lot, Gray's former partner Martin Tyler is decent.

Don't like Pearce because of his bland, monotonous voice. When a goal is scored he shouts 'ROOONEEEYYYY' instead of any analysis and proceeds to eulogise about the players. He pronounces Italian names as if he's Italian himself, his attempts at pronunciation of foreign players is cringeworthy. It's like you are still listening to Robot Wars.

Garth Crooks is not a great pundit but I put him there because he is hilarious ! His melodramatic style is OTT.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uD6V2xFwpps" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cobra :)))

Here is Crooks's analysis of a match as if he is investigating a murder case.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FJP7b60h2ck" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What a description :)))

Garth Crooks gives his opinion on the Bikey sending off and as usual turns it into politics as if it is a government issue or a crime murder case. He says "Bikey might have thought he was being manhandled but the only person being manhandled here is the ambulance official. Bikey should have been thinking about the final, now he is thinking about missing the final. It may have done Cameroon a favour, if you got a player who is inclined to lose control here, he can lose control in the final. He may have done them a big favour by not playing in the final."

He then continues his rant:

"Well he's got previous of this, he is capable of doing this at any stage, Cameroon want to win the final and if you got a lose can in your team get him out." Notice his finger pointing actions, absolutely hilarious, had me in stiches, the whole rant.

Crikey, its not a politics show or a crime case, its a football match.

Last edited:
Martin Tyler is very annoying, cliche machine.

Alan Smith, Andy Gray and the guy in this clip I like...he also does boxing commentary as well I think.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6zSGWpLkj8k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gary Neville has been far and away the best commentator and pundit all season.

Yes I can't believe it either.

But night after night he has delivered the goods. Astute commentary with a lovely balance between objective criticism and emotion, and expert analysis in the studio with the new technology.

Last edited:
Martin Tyler and Alan Parry are always solid.

John Champion is definitely the worst. A team of him and Niall Quinn would result in me listening to the shipping forecast over the coverage.

John Motson has gone senile. He should have retired by now - Barry Davies was FAR better.

I'm sick of Motson's 'And its OHHHH !' commentary.

Neville is the best but Adebayor is the greatest......at least I think he is.......just can't understand a word he says...

Former England manager Glenn Hoddle has been taken to hospital after falling ill shortly after appearing as a pundit on BT Sport on Saturday.

Presenter Mark Pougatch said the football results show BT Score had been cancelled as a result of Hoddle's condition.

The illness occurred on the former midfielder's 61st birthday.

BT presenter Jake Humphrey said Hoddle was "taken seriously ill at the BT Sport studio this morning".

He added on social media: "Everyone of us is right with you Glenn, sending love and strength."

Hoddle, who earned 53 caps for England and was a star midfielder for Tottenham, was considered to be one of the best players of his generation.

He won the FA Cup and Uefa Cup with Spurs and also played for Monaco, Swindon and Chelsea.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46002170

Does anyone remember Robbo Robson, the blogger on BBC?

He used to be fun. Retired a while back, but blogged on other websites.

I enjoy Neville and Carragher punditry. Also like Martin Tyler as a commentator.

Back