Best cricket autobiographies or books on cricket?

Hitman

Test Debutant
Runs
I've been and avid fan of cricket and pro wrestling. I have read quite a few autobiographies of pro wrestlers like Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Eddie Guerrero and a few others. I have also read the book written by Martha Hart (Owen Hart's widow).

Sadly I have just read one autobiography of any cricketer and that is Sachin's autobiography. I'm looking forward to order 'King' Viv Richards's autobiography. Can anyone here recommend me of some good autobiographies of cricketers? I'd be thankful.

Flying Stumps by Ray Lindwall. Its old but very interesting read.

Tendulkar one very pretty bland....just summary of his tours with very less personal information or behind the scenes material.

I don't like autobiographies. By nature they're self obsessive, and tend to present a narrow, biased perspective on events. Mostly, they are used to squeeze out extra cash after the author has exhausted his/her fame.

Tendulkar's book summed up his career. High on volume, low on substance.

Both was definately low on substance..incredible how boring it was for a person who lead such a profilic life in limelight since his teens. I would not say like his career...but definately like his personality we outsiders know...Obsessive towards runs...and Boring otherwise.

Like any good investor, Sachin understands risk and how to minimize it. He has already achieved fame beyond imagination, he has no reason to make bold remarks and damage his reputation. His autobiography will satisfy obsessed fans, and provide safe, steady returns towards his already massive legacy.

Both was definately low on substance..incredible how boring it was for a person who lead such a profilic life in limelight since his teens. I would not say like his career...but definately like his personality we outsiders know...Obsessive towards runs...and Boring otherwise.

Book!

Which autobiography or cricket related book would you recommend?

I'd really like to read an autobiography/cricket-related book over the summer. Are there any that you PPers recommend?

I can tell you the one I wouldn't and that is KP's. Whinge, moan, bitter and very little cricket or actual biography. A terrible book........

For actual cricket books........then you have Imran's, Javed's and the 2 Ws to get through for a start.

I can tell you the one I wouldn't and that is KP's. Whinge, moan, bitter and very little cricket or actual biography. A terrible book........

For actual cricket books........then you have Imran's, Javed's and the 2 Ws to get through for a start.

Aren't there a couple books by Imran?

Actually about 5......not all cricket related. Suggest kick off with All Round View

3 Books are very interesting - All-round View by Imran, The Art of Captaincy by Brearley & Beyond Boundary by CLR James.

I am a big fan of Benaud books, many of them, can't pick one. If any one wants to understand the tactical part of the game, any book of Benaud is a must read. Best ones are probably "My Spin on Cricket" & "Test Cricket".

Those who want to read the technical aspects of the game, please try Bob Woolmer’s Art and Science of Cricket.

I'd really like to read an autobiography/cricket-related book over the summer. Are there any that you PPers recommend?

there are too many of the good books that are out there but its very very difficult to recommend one to start with you can start off with anybody and continue your journey to learn more about the game by reading more and more about it.

growing up the very first biography that I remember reading was by Sikandar Bakhat it was published in a Pakistani cricket magazine in late eighties early nineties but I don't think it lasted more than 10 or 12 episodes or 10 or 12 editions then the next one that I read was Imran Khans all round view and a Kapil Dev's biography.com put in another Pakistani magazine.

I personally have been disappointed on reading the biographies of many Asian cricketers but my favorite ones were by the one by fazal mehmood and arvinda De Silva.

these days I am reading Kim Hughes biography and the next one that I have in line to read is Bary Richards which I ordered last week.

Beyond A Boundary

Bob Woolmer's Art and Science of Cricket

Out of my comfort zone - Steve Waugh is by far my favourite

Imran's All Round View is a good read as well.

Dennis Lille and Javed Miandad's biographies / Autobiographies were dissapointing

Most boring books of all time , controversially yours , kp and srt autobiography's , stay away from these .

Steve waugh and imran's one are good.

javed's is ok , nothing too great.

controversially yours is rubbish...

Javed's is alright

Imran's all round is next on my list

Michael Atherton's biography is one of the best written I have read so far...

Marcus Trescothick's book, an insight into the pressures of international cricket, touring, being away from your family, and a serious analysis of mental illness. Very important reading.

Soo many books, I guess I'll start off with Imran's all round view and then Beyond a boundary by CLR James. Thanks guys.

Imran's was brilliant. Hilarious at times and ALWAYS interesting. The story of Nawaz Sharif facing off against the Windies fast bowlers of the 80s in the PM XI VS West Indians match was too funny.
I read Sachin's too but that was too bland. It was obvious he was straying away from the "controversial" stuff and it seemed too simple.

Soo many books, I guess I'll start off with Imran's all round view and then Beyond a boundary by CLR James. Thanks guys.

Try the Brearley one as well, poor cricketer, but a brilliant theorist - he had very little cricket capability, but had he been someone remotely close to Gooch, Gower or KP.....

Best cricket autobiographies

What are the best cricket autobiographies. I am in a mood to read a good cricket book.

Last year i bought playing it my way by sachin. It was huge dissappointment. I dont wanna repeat the experience of reading another book by a favorite cricketer only to be disappointed.

So i thought i should ask you guys for suggestions about which are the best cricket auto-biographies?

Out of my comfort zone - Steve Waugh is by far my favourite

Imran's All Round View is a good read as well.

Dennis Lille and Javed Miandad's biographies / Autobiographies were dissapointing

Steve Waughs book is your favourite due to the name

What are the best cricket autobiographies. I am in a mood to read a good cricket book.

Last year i bought playing it my way by sachin. It was huge dissappointment. I dont wanna repeat the experience of reading another book by a favorite cricketer only to be disappointed.

So i thought i should ask you guys for suggestions about which are the best cricket auto-biographies?

Athers?

Steve Waugh's, Ponting's and Gilly's were good reads.

How good are andrew strauss & michael clarke's book that were released a year or two year ago?

when's afridis autobiography coming out? can't stand afridi the cricketer but i feel like his book will be entertaining

Any Pakistan fan will enjoy Shoaib's autobiography, i pretty much read the whole thing in a day

Steve Waugh captures India's love for cricket in his new book, 'The Spirit of Cricket - India'

Former Australian Cricket Captain Steve Waugh has done a lot since he hung up his tattered baggy green 16 years ago.

He’s cared for his family, set up children’s charity The Steve Waugh Foundation and indulged in his passions.

And one of them is his latest book, The Spirit of Cricket - India, which saw him embark on an 18-day journey to capture the emotion and splendour of the sport in the subcontinent.

“During the playing days, you go from the airport to the team bus to the hotel to the cricket ground,” Waugh said.

“I always saw these amazing sites outside the bus window - and I always sat in the front seat of the bus to see what was going outside.

“There were kids playing cricket down the alleyways and in front of buildings.

“So I wanted to get amongst it and take some shots.

“This is the first opportunity since I’ve retired where the profile is a bit lower and you can have some time to yourself to take those shots. It was a great opportunity.

Cricket in India
“They’ve got so many heroes and role models, and cricket is a simple game.

“All you need is a bat and a ball, and you can make the stumps to get a game going.

Cricket in India

“All you need is a bat and a ball, and you can make the stumps to get a game going.

Source :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZP7GD3Y_D0

I saw this book in my companies office..CTO is a huge cricket fan. cost is around 250 AUD, but
some really nice photographs and captures the essence of cricket in the sub continent in general.

Former Australian Cricket Captain Steve Waugh has done a lot since he hung up his tattered baggy green 16 years ago.

He’s cared for his family, set up children’s charity The Steve Waugh Foundation and indulged in his passions.

And one of them is his latest book, The Spirit of Cricket - India, which saw him embark on an 18-day journey to capture the emotion and splendour of the sport in the subcontinent.

“During the playing days, you go from the airport to the team bus to the hotel to the cricket ground,” Waugh said.

“I always saw these amazing sites outside the bus window - and I always sat in the front seat of the bus to see what was going outside.

“There were kids playing cricket down the alleyways and in front of buildings.

“So I wanted to get amongst it and take some shots.

“This is the first opportunity since I’ve retired where the profile is a bit lower and you can have some time to yourself to take those shots. It was a great opportunity.

Cricket in India

Cricket in India

Source :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZP7GD3Y_D0

This was an excellent video better than Nasser's one , tbf Waugh always liked India and the admiration.. can't expect a POM to do that.

Shehryar Khan's Cricket Cauldron was a good book, especially insightful on the 2006 Oval affair.

Don't read books much, except when on a long flight, like going to Pakistan . I have read IK, Miandad and Wasim Akram;s all were good, IK's was the best.

This a good thread , now will buy Steve Waugh, Atherton , Nasir Hussains and Lindwall's too for my next travel, hoping to be soon.

I'm fascinated a lot by the time when test cricket was the king and Lindwall's book I hope will give me some inside view of the golden era of cricket.

Shehryar Khan's Cricket Cauldron was a good book, especially insightful on the 2006 Oval affair.

Yes, really enjoyed this book.

Well worth a read from a different perspective.

Hitting Against The Spin by Nathan Leamon and Ben Jones is a superb read.

You may think it'd be a dry, numbers based book packed with graphs and charts - and yes there are plenty of nerdy statistics but it's presented in such an accessible, fair and at times humorous way.

It's not a book packed full of unknown revelations, i.e. the data backs up generally bowling a good length when the ball is not swinging, pitching it up when it does, or umpires since DRS being more willing to give batsmen out LBW on the front foot to spinners.

But there are some really insightful chapters - my favourite so far being why there's such a preponderance of left-handed top order batsmen in Test cricket now compared to previous decades and how that's an advantage in seam friendly conditions, yet that advantage being reversed in spin friendly subcontinental condititions.

Recommended.

Ashley Gray's The Unforgiven: Missionaries or Mercenaries ? The Untold Story of the Rebel West Indian Cricketers Who Toured Apartheid South Africa

An incredibly sobering and at times harrowing read - this book by Ashley Gray transcends the cricket genre and is an amazing piece of journalism as some of these long-forgotten individuals were very hard to track down.

With little prospects of breaking into the great WI team of the 80s, and presented with lifechanging sums of money - the book documents the motivations behind the rebel cricketers decisions to commit the sin of "betraying their race" by touring Apartheid South Africa, and the steep price most of them paid. Upon their returns, most were ostracised and viciously condemned by their own people.

David Murray, a wicketkeeper whose glovework Jeff Dujon said made him look like Dolly Parton, blew his riches on cocaine and died a few weeks ago.

Richard Austin also got hooked on cocaine and was reduced to living in gutters and bus shelters before dying in 2015. Herbert Chang suffered a mental breakdown and went AWOL. Locals report he can often be seen wandering on his own in Kingston.

Bernard Julien has battled cancer and lives as a recluse. Everton Mattis got involved in drug dealing in New York, survived a shooting and stabbing, before turning his life around. Some of these guys are former Test cricketers !

That said, some defy the stereotype of the downtrodden rebel tourist and managed to rebuild their lives by going abroad or setting up businesses. Some have even returned to coaching jobs and have finally been rehabilitated. Would strongly recommend - a compelling and concise book clocking at just over 300 pages.

I'm currently reading My Sporting Life, by Michael Parkinson.

Lots of stuff about cricket in Yorkshire leagues etc.

Enjoying it.

Ashley Gray's The Unforgiven: Missionaries or Mercenaries ? The Untold Story of the Rebel West Indian Cricketers Who Toured Apartheid South Africa

An incredibly sobering and at times harrowing read - this book by Ashley Gray transcends the cricket genre and is an amazing piece of journalism as some of these long-forgotten individuals were very hard to track down.

With little prospects of breaking into the great WI team of the 80s, and presented with lifechanging sums of money - the book documents the motivations behind the rebel cricketers decisions to commit the sin of "betraying their race" by touring Apartheid South Africa, and the steep price most of them paid. Upon their returns, most were ostracised and viciously condemned by their own people.

David Murray, a wicketkeeper whose glovework Jeff Dujon said made him look like Dolly Parton, blew his riches on cocaine and died a few weeks ago.

Richard Austin also got hooked on cocaine and was reduced to living in gutters and bus shelters before dying in 2015. Herbert Chang suffered a mental breakdown and went AWOL. Locals report he can often be seen wandering on his own in Kingston.

Bernard Julien has battled cancer and lives as a recluse. Everton Mattis got involved in drug dealing in New York, survived a shooting and stabbing, before turning his life around. Some of these guys are former Test cricketers !

That said, some defy the stereotype of the downtrodden rebel tourist and managed to rebuild their lives by going abroad or setting up businesses. Some have even returned to coaching jobs and have finally been rehabilitated. Would strongly recommend - a compelling and concise book clocking at just over 300 pages.

Thanks for this and Hitting against the spin. Downloaded both from the net now. Looking forward to read them :)

How come no one mentioned the ones by Gavaskar??

Sunny Days
Idols
One Day wonders

Really enjoyed them

cricket autobiographies of Pakistani cricketers typically sucks. There is nothing in it, no inside scoop, no stories of there life before cricket or anything.

Its the same stuff that we know, with some masala like sachin was shaking etc

I'm currently reading My Sporting Life, by Michael Parkinson.

Lots of stuff about cricket in Yorkshire leagues etc.

Enjoying it.

I read Michael Parkinson on Cricket as well.

Interesting that he played alongside Boycott.

Recently read "Pitchside: My life in Indian cricket" by Amrit Mathur who was the former Indian team manager. Very good and interesting anecdotes on the Indian tour to Pakistan and the 1992 Indian tour to South Africa

Sultan, Wasim Akram is a good read.

Peter Obourne, Wounded Tiger a history of Pakistan cricket is a brilliant read by a expert on Pakistan cricket, from partition onwards

Frank Worrell - Son of Grace by Vaneisa Baksh

The author deserves credit for accepting the unenviable challenge of writing about a figure whose relatives and peers are long gone or reluctant to speak candidly, and in a region where archiving is sloppy and inconsistent. However Frank Worrell remains as much of an enigma at the end of the book than when starting it.

Everton Weekes was the last surviving member of the 3Ws until 2020, but was well into his 90s when Baksh interviewed him and his memory was either patchy or selective. He was closer to Worrell than Walcott, and clearly hesistant to dwell on any controversial topics.

Of course, Worrell's life story was tragically cut short at the age of 42 to leukaemia. A dapper and telegenic personality couldn't exploit the media opportunities offered to ex-players after the Kerry Packer inspired boom in televised cricket. He was denied the opportunity of reliving tales of his playing days on the after dinner circuit like his contemporaries, including his opposing number in the iconic 1960/61 series vs Australia, Richie Benaud. A long administrative career would've surely beckoned, and perhaps the decline in West Indies cricket post-1995 could've been somewhat arrested had Worrell retained his influence.

With scarce voice recordings of the man himself and a small handful of superficial biographies - this book attempts to fill the void with limited success. Worrell's outlook on tactics, combinations and relationships with players are vaguely fleshed out. The chapter on the 1960/61 tour of Australia feels hurried with no new insights. Affairs and overindulgence with alcohol are hinted at but not fully explored.

What's confirmed is Worrell was a unifying figure much like Imran Khan later for Pakistan, a dedicated mentor for youth, and an excellent player. He fought for better pay - a precursor to the bitter rows of later years. He helped save Indian cricketer Nari Contractor's life with a blood donation after a sickening blow from Charlie Griffith during a match in Barbados. What some may not know is Worrell (and CLR James) supported touring Apartheid South Africa in 1959, a series ultimately shelved. Nor the tragic, also premature death, of his daughter, Lana, in 1998 aged just 48.

The book, as with Worrell's short time on earth, leaves us wanting more. The release did happily coincide with the current team's astonishing victory in Brisbane, drawing the series named after him - a fitting tribute.

Recommend only if a massive Worrell fan.

Attachments

• 20240324_205139.jpg
    20240324_205139.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 2
Pundits from Pakistan by Rahul Bhattacharya. An absolutely brilliant first hand account of an Indian journalist covering India's 2004 tour of Pakistan.

The Unquiet Ones by Osman Samiuddin. Alot of people prefer Oborne's Wounded Tiger. And while that is an exceptional read, I personally prefer this if I were to read one book about the history of Pakistan cricket.

Frank Worrell - Son of Grace by Vaneisa Baksh

The author deserves credit for accepting the unenviable challenge of writing about a figure whose relatives and peers are long gone or reluctant to speak candidly, and in a region where archiving is sloppy and inconsistent. However Frank Worrell remains as much of an enigma at the end of the book than when starting it.

Everton Weekes was the last surviving member of the 3Ws until 2020, but was well into his 90s when Baksh interviewed him and his memory was either patchy or selective. He was closer to Worrell than Walcott, and clearly hesistant to dwell on any controversial topics.

Of course, Worrell's life story was tragically cut short at the age of 42 to leukaemia. A dapper and telegenic personality couldn't exploit the media opportunities offered to ex-players after the Kerry Packer inspired boom in televised cricket. He was denied the opportunity of reliving tales of his playing days on the after dinner circuit like his contemporaries, including his opposing number in the iconic 1960/61 series vs Australia, Richie Benaud. A long administrative career would've surely beckoned, and perhaps the decline in West Indies cricket post-1995 could've been somewhat arrested had Worrell retained his influence.

With scarce voice recordings of the man himself and a small handful of superficial biographies - this book attempts to fill the void with limited success. Worrell's outlook on tactics, combinations and relationships with players are vaguely fleshed out. The chapter on the 1960/61 tour of Australia feels hurried with no new insights. Affairs and overindulgence with alcohol are hinted at but not fully explored.

What's confirmed is Worrell was a unifying figure much like Imran Khan later for Pakistan, a dedicated mentor for youth, and an excellent player. He fought for better pay - a precursor to the bitter rows of later years. He helped save Indian cricketer Nari Contractor's life with a blood donation after a sickening blow from Charlie Griffith during a match in Barbados. What some may not know is Worrell (and CLR James) supported touring Apartheid South Africa in 1959, a series ultimately shelved. Nor the tragic, also premature death, of his daughter, Lana, in 1998 aged just 48.

The book, as with Worrell's short time on earth, leaves us wanting more. The release did happily coincide with the current team's astonishing victory in Brisbane, drawing the series named after him - a fitting tribute.

Recommend only if a massive Worrell fan.
I downloaded Color Blind by Alvin Kallicharran..waiting to read it!

I downloaded Color Blind by Alvin Kallicharran..waiting to read it!
Thanks, will put that on my reading list.

Kalli is a good man. He's slightly bitter as he captained WI when their star players left for WSC.

When the Packer players returned, he was replaced as captain and felt kicked to the curb. It's one reason why he participated in the rebel tour of South Africa.

There's some suggestion that as a Indo-Caribbean, he was never truly comfortable in a dressing room dominated by Afro-Caribbeans but I don't know how true that is.

Apparently he's coaching in North Carolina, USA and is a devout Hindu.

cricket autobiographies of Pakistani cricketers typically sucks. There is nothing in it, no inside scoop, no stories of there life before cricket or anything.

Its the same stuff that we know, with some masala like sachin was shaking etc
I wanted to get Miandad's book but it is very expensive on Amazon India..

Recently read "Pitchside: My life in Indian cricket" by Amrit Mathur who was the former Indian team manager. Very good and interesting anecdotes on the Indian tour to Pakistan and the 1992 Indian tour to South Africa

I read it this week. Found below anecdote hilarious.

"One player narrated this interesting story about the coach, Javed Miandad. Abdul Razzaq was batting and, for some reason, Miandad was gesturing desperately from the pavilion to catch his attention. The player pointed out to Razzaq that the coach was signalling, Razzak said, ignoring Miandad."

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian Lara's new book. 'Lara: The England Chronicles' is out

yw4pBOn.png

Back