Best ever cricketers in Test cricket during their peak period?

Harsh Thakor

First Class Star
Runs
Post of the Week
Here I am choosing in order of merit my best ever cricketers in peak period in Test cricket.I have not fixed the exact no of tests but randomly reflected on the peak times.I have considered not only runs ,wickets and averages but also strength of opposition,strike rate,impact in games and conditions.

1.Ian Botham

Sorry if controversial but no cricketer turned the complexion of game so dynamically as Ian .Ian in this period arguably eclipsed any cricketer as a match winner or in ressurecting a side from the grave as an all-round cricketer.His stupendous performances in the 1980 Jubilee test at Mumbai and 1981 home Ashes to cricketing glory to heights of the sublime.True he benefited from playing weaker sides during Packer era and failed as a skipper.Still he tore apart the likes of Dennis Lillee or Kapil Dev with the bat and made Sunil Gavasakar his prize scalp ,in addition to taking the most stunning catches in the slips.In that period no fast bowler was equally intelligent or posessed a better oustwinger.In terms of pure flamboyance he matched the great Garfield Sobers.To score a century and take 5 wickets I may have backed Botham marginally more than even Sobers.From 1977-82 Botham captured over 5 wickets per test a and averaged over 37 with the bat.

2.Sir Garfield Sobers

Took all-round cricketing talent to a scale or regions unexplored .Sobers averaged around 63 with the bat and around 27 with the ball taking around 4 wickets apiece per test.Arguably the best batsman in the world and without doubt the most versatile bowler.At his best in 1970 series for rest of the world in 1970 taking 21 wickets and scoring 583 runs and on 1966 England tour scoring 722 runs and taking 20 wickets.

3.Don Bradman

Redefined cricketing law of averages leaving mathematicians astounded or puzzled.No cricketer will statistically ever scale the height of Bradman who traversed regions of the divine. It would take psychic powers to analyse how he averaged so much more than the likes of Hammond ,Compton or Hutton.No sporting figure was so head and shoulders above his contemporaries or took sporting excellence to such a pinnacle .

4.Imran Khan

Combining achievements as a skipper,fast bowler and all-rounder Imran took cricketing performance whereby he could have sat with the Gods of Olympus.No cricketer in a single era did as much to shape a cricketing nation's destiny to achieve glory as Imran.Under his leaders his Pakistan won the title of test unofficial world champions and official ODI champions.Pakistan beat India in India and England in England for the 1st time and dubious umpiring decisions cost them the unofficial world test champion crown.

As a paceman he averaged around 17.7 with a strike rate of around 40,which was better than Hadlee or Marshall.No pace bowler performed better against the West Indies at it's best ,which is remarkable.In the manner of Muhammad ali ressurected Imran captured 7-40 at Leeds in 1987 and 7-80 at Georgetwon in 1988.

His batting played an instrumental role in saving many tests for Pakistan as well as a series win in India.For pre responsibility he even eclipsed Ian Botham in England in 1982 and in Australia in 1984.

5.Viv Richards

No batsman emulated Sir Don Bradman more or reflected such vibration s of vengeance as Viv did.It wouldbe hard to envisage Bradmamn or later Tendulkar or Smith surpass the domination of Richards agaisnt the like sof a Lille,Imran ,Willis or Botham.Adding WSC cricket from 1975-76 to 1977-78 he averaged close to 90 ,giving great bowlers shivers down their spine as no batsman ever.Averaged 86.2 in 1sy year in WSC cricket,118.42 in 4 tsets in England and 0ver 92 in a home series v India.Failed against Pakistan averaging around 42 in 1977.The manner Viv batted in 1976-81 one envisaged he would break ever batting record.

6.Jack Hobbs

In the most testing conditions averaged 62.90 which I challenge even modern greats to emulate In 44 tests Hobbs averaged around 65 ,scoring over 4000 runs and 15 centuries.

7.Waqar Younus

In terms of 5 wicket hauls and strike rate in his peak Waqar was the best pace bowlers ever.No paceman was a better exponent of the swinging yorker Above all he championed the sow sub-continent tracks.

8.Sunil Gavaskar

May have benefited from playing 2nd string bowling attacks as a result of Kerry Packer WSC but still mastered the likes of Imran,Willlis,Botham,Thomson,Sylvester Clarke etc like no batsman in test history.In pure stats to me 2nd to only Bradman from 1977-78 to 1979-80 averaging over 86 and a century every third test.

9.Brian Lara

Made some of the most staggering runs in individual innings and series playing for one of the weakest batting sides.No batsman had a better avergae percentage score out of the total innings score or a better penchant for turning game or registering a mammoth score.

10.Sachin Tendulkar

Other cricketers were more head and shoulders above their contemporaries but few ever surpassed the phenomenal consistency of Tendulkar who averaged around 67 for a period playing allround the world.Lara was abetter match-winner but still I would back Sachin to score a century in game more than Lara/

11.Richard Hadlee

Carried the brunt of one of the weakest bowing attacks taking close to 6 wickets per test and 5 and 10 wicket hauls at a phenomenal frequency.

12.Greg Chappell

When one considers level of opposition of bowling in WSC cricket when he averaged 69 in the Carribaen in 1979 with 3 centuries and had scores of 174 and 246 in 1977-79 ,Greg is close to the top of the tree.

13.Ricky Ponting

For a period averaged 71.4 better than Lara or Sachin did in peak, and won many more games.However benefited from playing for a great team and not master in such diverse conditions.

14.Mohammad Yousuf

At his best gave glimpses of a Viv,Lara or Sachin who championed cause of a lone crusader like very few batsman ever.Has the record run aggregate of 1788 for a calendar year.

15.Malcolm Marshall

Overshadowed great paceman in the best pace quartet ever averaging around 19 wit the ball at a strike rate under 40.Not so many 5 or 10 wicket hauls but a phenomenal strike rate and average in test wins.

Steve Smith not even in the conversation but Moyo is for having a good year lol?

He has not finished his career even if he is the best of all time.Remember what Moyou aggregated in a calendar year,the opposition he played against and scores in a crisis.What about my other rankings?

Great list of cricketers there and agree with all these names , they really were at another level when at their peaks.

My personal favourite cricketer in this list is the chap at number 9 - Brian Charles Lara who I had the pleasure of watching in full flow at his prime.

Yes Lara was stylish, match winning and elegant batsman , yes he was a record breaker at first class and test level, he was indeed a very fine batsman - but there’s something else that statistics won’t explain.

In correlation with the theme of this thread about “peak” performances of a cricketer - let me ask this question addressed to fans , when was your ‘peak’ as a cricket fan in terms of your enjoyment of the game ? , which player thrilled and entertained you to a level that no other player since or before has?

For me there are three players that I think of who gave me the maximum enjoyment of cricket , when I would say I reached my “peak” as a fan , and two of them are on this list - Brian Lara (94 - 99 ) and Waqar Younis (90 - 94) and between them they covered the 90s decade. The third player being Wasim Akram , the two Ws at their peak were just something else.

Watching Brian Lara bat in that era at his best , would leave you with a feeling that it does not matter who comes before or after holding a cricket bat , but the art of batting and strokes can not be produced to a higher quality than what we have just witnessed.

And Waqar Younis as a fast bowler similarly at his prime in some spells of fast bowling made it feel like every ball we expected the middle stump to be uprooted out of the ground or lbw , no matter who was batting against him.

Maybe this is why after witnessing and experiencing such peaks as a cricket fan in the 80s/90s era - modern day batting greats like Hafeez just don’t appeal to me as much as they do to other fans, although that chap Kohli is not a bad player at all.

Last edited:
Steve Smith not even in the conversation but Moyo is for having a good year lol?

The entire thread is about peaks. Overall I think the rankings are fantastic peak-wise. [MENTION=132062]Harsh Thakor[/MENTION] I am unfamiliar with what Jack Hobbs’ peak period was, does it eclipse Waqar, Lara, or Marshall at their peaks? I feel these three are ranked 1-2 places too low.

I would also mention Shaun Pollock in it because he was an absolute beast in 1990s till about 2002. He was averaging almost 20 till about 300 test wickets which tells us how good he was in his first half.

Kumar Sangakkara is another strong contender. For around 7-8 years of his career, he was considered an inferior batsman to Mahela but I think in the last 10 years, his peak was quite insane averaging over 65 with bat.

Always has to be a Sena player because desi love to parade Sena players. It has to be a 'white' Sena player. So I would say Don Bradman who played vs nobodies but yes Bradman and you can add Hobbs. Pioneers of cricket.

The entire thread is about peaks. Overall I think the rankings are fantastic peak-wise. [MENTION=132062]Harsh Thakor[/MENTION] I am unfamiliar with what Jack Hobbs’ peak period was, does it eclipse Waqar, Lara, or Marshall at their peaks? I feel these three are ranked 1-2 places too low.

Thanks. appreciate.I just feel Viv was simply majestic in his heyday.Also Sobers,Botham and Imran had all-round prowess.Where would you place Lara,Marshal or Waqar?

Great list of cricketers there and agree with all these names , they really were at another level when at their peaks.

My personal favourite cricketer in this list is the chap at number 9 - Brian Charles Lara who I had the pleasure of watching in full flow at his prime.

Yes Lara was stylish, match winning and elegant batsman , yes he was a record breaker at first class and test level, he was indeed a very fine batsman - but there’s something else that statistics won’t explain.

In correlation with the theme of this thread about “peak” performances of a cricketer - let me ask this question addressed to fans , when was your ‘peak’ as a cricket fan in terms of your enjoyment of the game ? , which player thrilled and entertained you to a level that no other player since or before has?

For me there are three players that I think of who gave me the maximum enjoyment of cricket , when I would say I reached my “peak” as a fan , and two of them are on this list - Brian Lara (94 - 99 ) and Waqar Younis (90 - 94) and between them they covered the 90s decade. The third player being Wasim Akram , the two Ws at their peak were just something else.

Watching Brian Lara bat in that era at his best , would leave you with a feeling that it does not matter who comes before or after holding a cricket bat , but the art of batting and strokes can not be produced to a higher quality than what we have just witnessed.

And Waqar Younis as a fast bowler similarly at his prime in some spells of fast bowling made it feel like every ball we expected the middle stump to be uprooted out of the ground or lbw , no matter who was batting against him.

Maybe this is why after witnessing and experiencing such peaks as a cricket fan in the 80s/90s era - modern day batting greats like Hafeez just don’t appeal to me as much as they do to other fans, although that chap Kohli is not a bad player at all.

Thanks a lot for appreciation.Deeply respect your response and analysis.Lara was unquestionably a genius,arguably most talented of all batsman.Do you feel it was correct to rank the great all-rounders at the top?

I would also mention Shaun Pollock in it because he was an absolute beast in 1990s till about 2002. He was averaging almost 20 till about 300 test wickets which tells us how good he was in his first half.

Kumar Sangakkara is another strong contender. For around 7-8 years of his career, he was considered an inferior batsman to Mahela but I think in the last 10 years, his peak was quite insane averaging over 65 with bat.

Did I miss out Murlitharan?What do you feel about my rankings?

Smith peak has been excellent and it has not finished yet. Not saying he needs to be number 1 but he should be in the conversation. Mohammed Yusuf is on his list for having a good calendar year. Lol that is not a peak. It's a good spell of form.

He has not finished his career even if he is the best of all time.Remember what Moyou aggregated in a calendar year,the opposition he played against and scores in a crisis.What about my other rankings?

A peak is more than 1 year of good performances. Smith has had a brilliant peak and he is still not finished. He should be in the conversation at least.

Only two players in the list from past 25+ years, an era which saw players like Mcgrath, Gilchrist, Warne, Muralitharan, Kallis, Smith, Steyn, Hayden, Kohli and Sangakkara. Add to that players like Ashwin, hussey, Johnson who had absolute freak peak periods.

Batting I only enjoyed a few
1: Ricky Ponting
2: Mathew Hayden
3: Adam Gilchrist
4: Mark Waugh (Pure class) - no one comes close to how he bats, watching Mark Waugh bat is like going to fancy restaurant where you pay 500 rupees for water
5: Damein Martyn

6: Virat Kohli (I just watch Kohli bat nowadays, steven smith's batting looks ugly and Kane williamson doesn't have the jazbaa junoon like kohli)

Bowlers:
1: Mcgrath
2: Wasim
3: Warne
4: Mohammed Asif
5: James Anderson
6: Stuart Mcgill (would have been a great if was born in a different era) Warne kinda ruined it

Please come here [MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] [MENTION=65183]freelance_cricketer[/MENTION] [MENTION=7774]Robert[/MENTION] [MENTION=133315]Hitman[/MENTION] Cherish contribution

Please come here [MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] [MENTION=65183]freelance_cricketer[/MENTION] [MENTION=7774]Robert[/MENTION] [MENTION=133315]Hitman[/MENTION] Cherish contribution

OK, different approach....

Teens: Barnes
Twenties: Hobbs
Thirties: Bradman
Forties: doesn't really count, only three years
Fifties: Hutton
Sixties: Sobers
Seventies: Lillee
Eighties: Imran
Nineties: Warne
Noughties: Kallis
Teens: Kohli

For peak, the ICC peak ratings are very solid guide tbh

OK, different approach....

Teens: Barnes
Twenties: Hobbs
Thirties: Bradman
Forties: doesn't really count, only three years
Fifties: Hutton
Sixties: Sobers
Seventies: Lillee
Eighties: Imran
Nineties: Warne
Noughties: Kallis
Teens: Kohli

Thanks.Great choices.any view on Botham?Not better than Imran in peak?Or Viv not ahead of Lillee in impact?Liked my list?

Thanks.Great choices.any view on Botham?Not better than Imran in peak?Or Viv not ahead of Lillee in impact?Liked my list?

I always like your lists.

Botham over his first fifty tests was extraordinary with bat and ball, averaging 40 with one and about 23 with the other.

Imran's peak is contestible due to batting average inflation from one not out per four innings - he averaged more than Botham while scoring fewer actual runs. But his bowling peak is truly remarkable. Early on he was a bowler who batted quite well, latterly a batsman who would get key wickets.

DK Lillee was the first modern fast bowler - Imran, Hadlee and Marshall stand on his shoulders and tip the hat to him. He was the bravest bowler going, turning in amazingly long spells in blistering heat.

Richards was a shock-and-awe weapon, demoralising bowlers everythere (except Lillee, who just ran in harder at him). Best batter I ever saw. Had a bit of an issue against good leggies, though.

In my lifetime

Barry Richards 99/100 in 1969-70
Barry Richards 99/100 in 1977-79
Ian Botham 96/100 in 1978-80.
Imran Khan 95/100 in 1982-83
Mohinder Amarnath 100/100 in 1982-83.
Malcolm Marshall 99/100 in 1983-88.
Sachin Tendulkar 90/100 in 1990-2005.
Shane Warne 90/100 in 1993-98.
Steve Smith 90/100 in 2019.

Jimmy Amarnath had the highest peak of anyone. Brief, but spectacular.

I missed out Mike Procter 99/100 in 1969-70 and 77-79.

The fact is that he and Barry Richards were so far ahead of everyone else in world cricket the two times they got to play international cricket - with a gap of 8 years of exile in between, during which they were the best in county cricket in an area in which the best 50 world cricketers all played it.

It creates an argument that Richards and Procter might be up with Bradman and Sobers as the very greatest cricketers of all.

In my lifetime

Where do you rank the peaks of Viv, Waqar, and Lara?

In my lifetime

Great list. However why no Lara who at his peak was an absolute superstar? Or Viv Richards from 1976-81 adding Wsc supertests?Or even Greg Chappel or Gavaskar?At peak Lara and Viv overshadowed Tendulkar.

I missed out Mike Procter 99/100 in 1969-70 and 77-79.

The fact is that he and Barry Richards were so far ahead of everyone else in world cricket the two times they got to play international cricket - with a gap of 8 years of exile in between, during which they were the best in county cricket in an area in which the best 50 world cricketers all played it.

It creates an argument that Richards and Procter might be up with Bradman and Sobers as the very greatest cricketers of all.

Viv Richards not on par?Look at record from 1976-81

I always like your lists.

Botham over his first fifty tests was extraordinary with bat and ball, averaging 40 with one and about 23 with the other.

Imran's peak is contestible due to batting average inflation from one not out per four innings - he averaged more than Botham while scoring fewer actual runs. But his bowling peak is truly remarkable. Early on he was a bowler who batted quite well, latterly a batsman who would get key wickets.

DK Lillee was the first modern fast bowler - Imran, Hadlee and Marshall stand on his shoulders and tip the hat to him. He was the bravest bowler going, turning in amazingly long spells in blistering heat.

Richards was a shock-and-awe weapon, demoralising bowlers everythere (except Lillee, who just ran in harder at him). Best batter I ever saw. Had a bit of an issue against good leggies, though.

Great analysis .Lara not up there? Often championed cause of a lone crusader? Or Gavaskar from 1977-1980?Broke so many records.

Here I am choosing in order of merit my best ever cricketers in peak period in Test cricket.I have not fixed the exact no of tests but randomly reflected on the peak times.I have considered not only runs ,wickets and averages but also strength of opposition,strike rate,impact in games and conditions.

1.Ian Botham

Sorry if controversial but no cricketer turned the complexion of game so dynamically as Ian .Ian in this period arguably eclipsed any cricketer as a match winner or in ressurecting a side from the grave as an all-round cricketer.His stupendous performances in the 1980 Jubilee test at Mumbai and 1981 home Ashes to cricketing glory to heights of the sublime.True he benefited from playing weaker sides during Packer era and failed as a skipper.Still he tore apart the likes of Dennis Lillee or Kapil Dev with the bat and made Sunil Gavasakar his prize scalp ,in addition to taking the most stunning catches in the slips.In that period no fast bowler was equally intelligent or posessed a better oustwinger.In terms of pure flamboyance he matched the great Garfield Sobers.To score a century and take 5 wickets I may have backed Botham marginally more than even Sobers.From 1977-82 Botham captured over 5 wickets per test a and averaged over 37 with the bat.

2.Sir Garfield Sobers

Took all-round cricketing talent to a scale or regions unexplored .Sobers averaged around 63 with the bat and around 27 with the ball taking around 4 wickets apiece per test.Arguably the best batsman in the world and without doubt the most versatile bowler.At his best in 1970 series for rest of the world in 1970 taking 21 wickets and scoring 583 runs and on 1966 England tour scoring 722 runs and taking 20 wickets.

3.Don Bradman

Redefined cricketing law of averages leaving mathematicians astounded or puzzled.No cricketer will statistically ever scale the height of Bradman who traversed regions of the divine. It would take psychic powers to analyse how he averaged so much more than the likes of Hammond ,Compton or Hutton.No sporting figure was so head and shoulders above his contemporaries or took sporting excellence to such a pinnacle .

4.Imran Khan

Combining achievements as a skipper,fast bowler and all-rounder Imran took cricketing performance whereby he could have sat with the Gods of Olympus.No cricketer in a single era did as much to shape a cricketing nation's destiny to achieve glory as Imran.Under his leaders his Pakistan won the title of test unofficial world champions and official ODI champions.Pakistan beat India in India and England in England for the 1st time and dubious umpiring decisions cost them the unofficial world test champion crown.

As a paceman he averaged around 17.7 with a strike rate of around 40,which was better than Hadlee or Marshall.No pace bowler performed better against the West Indies at it's best ,which is remarkable.In the manner of Muhammad ali ressurected Imran captured 7-40 at Leeds in 1987 and 7-80 at Georgetwon in 1988.

His batting played an instrumental role in saving many tests for Pakistan as well as a series win in India.For pre responsibility he even eclipsed Ian Botham in England in 1982 and in Australia in 1984.

5.Viv Richards

No batsman emulated Sir Don Bradman more or reflected such vibration s of vengeance as Viv did.It wouldbe hard to envisage Bradmamn or later Tendulkar or Smith surpass the domination of Richards agaisnt the like sof a Lille,Imran ,Willis or Botham.Adding WSC cricket from 1975-76 to 1977-78 he averaged close to 90 ,giving great bowlers shivers down their spine as no batsman ever.Averaged 86.2 in 1sy year in WSC cricket,118.42 in 4 tsets in England and 0ver 92 in a home series v India.Failed against Pakistan averaging around 42 in 1977.The manner Viv batted in 1976-81 one envisaged he would break ever batting record.

6.Jack Hobbs

In the most testing conditions averaged 62.90 which I challenge even modern greats to emulate In 44 tests Hobbs averaged around 65 ,scoring over 4000 runs and 15 centuries.

7.Waqar Younus

In terms of 5 wicket hauls and strike rate in his peak Waqar was the best pace bowlers ever.No paceman was a better exponent of the swinging yorker Above all he championed the sow sub-continent tracks.

8.Sunil Gavaskar

May have benefited from playing 2nd string bowling attacks as a result of Kerry Packer WSC but still mastered the likes of Imran,Willlis,Botham,Thomson,Sylvester Clarke etc like no batsman in test history.In pure stats to me 2nd to only Bradman from 1977-78 to 1979-80 averaging over 86 and a century every third test.

9.Brian Lara

Made some of the most staggering runs in individual innings and series playing for one of the weakest batting sides.No batsman had a better avergae percentage score out of the total innings score or a better penchant for turning game or registering a mammoth score.

10.Sachin Tendulkar

Other cricketers were more head and shoulders above their contemporaries but few ever surpassed the phenomenal consistency of Tendulkar who averaged around 67 for a period playing allround the world.Lara was abetter match-winner but still I would back Sachin to score a century in game more than Lara/

11.Richard Hadlee

Carried the brunt of one of the weakest bowing attacks taking close to 6 wickets per test and 5 and 10 wicket hauls at a phenomenal frequency.

12.Greg Chappell

When one considers level of opposition of bowling in WSC cricket when he averaged 69 in the Carribaen in 1979 with 3 centuries and had scores of 174 and 246 in 1977-79 ,Greg is close to the top of the tree.

13.Ricky Ponting

For a period averaged 71.4 better than Lara or Sachin did in peak, and won many more games.However benefited from playing for a great team and not master in such diverse conditions.

14.Mohammad Yousuf

At his best gave glimpses of a Viv,Lara or Sachin who championed cause of a lone crusader like very few batsman ever.Has the record run aggregate of 1788 for a calendar year.

15.Malcolm Marshall

Overshadowed great paceman in the best pace quartet ever averaging around 19 wit the ball at a strike rate under 40.Not so many 5 or 10 wicket hauls but a phenomenal strike rate and average in test wins.

What about Praveen Kumar?

1.Ian Botham

2.Sir Garfield Sobers

3.Don Bradman

4.Imran Khan

5.Viv Richards

6.Jack Hobbs

7.Waqar Younus

8.Sunil Gavaskar

9.Brian Lara

10.Sachin Tendulkar

11.Richard Hadlee

12.Greg Chappell

13.Ricky Ponting

14.Mohammad Yousuf

15.Malcolm Marshall

While you are right to put Botham at #1, mentioning WSC when discussing Gavaskar shows a lack of knowledge. Gavaskar was the Indian player most responsible for India’s 1971 series victory in WI which was followed by India getting to the #1 ranking after another series victory in England. These victories came many many years before the WSC.

Botham and Waqar had great peaks but were also overrated. Botham's peak coincided with playing team weakened by Kerry Packer losses, and he didnt do well against the WI. Waqar at his peak played largely against weak batting sides and was mainly an old ball bowler and would frequently get smashed with the new ball. His figures flatter him a bit.

Referring to this cricinfo article, the best peaks for bowlers would be Imran (averaging around 15), Murali (taking over 8 wickets a test!) and Marshall (taking nearly 6 wickets a test despite playing in a pace quartet).

https://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1057899/the-jury-s-out-what-s-the-best-stats-measure

Back