Best Performance by a Pakistani wicket-keeper batter in ICC World Cup

ArabKnight

Local Club Regular
Runs
What’s the best performance by a Pakistan wicket-keeper in the World Cup?

In my opinion it was
Sarfraz Ahmed 49(49) & 6c
vs South Africa @ Auckland
in World Cup 2015

It was one of the most spectacular performances by a keeper in Pakistan ODI history.

He single-handily won the match for Pakistan with his batting & keeping. He came into bat for the first time in that World Cup & stabilized our opening slot. He batted against a very strong attack of Steyn, Morkel, & Tahir. He scored a very impressive run-a-ball 49(49) — which was an excellent innings on that swinging pitch.

Pakistan went on to score 222 all-out and eventually won the match by 29 runs. The efforts of Sarfraz revitalized the World Cup campaign of Pakistan after big losses. With this victory, Pakistan was able to scramble up enough points to qualify for the Quarter-Final.

Absolute classic innings of Sarfraz. It was the day that the future Kaptaan announced himself to the world. It was one huge monumental leap for Pakistan to come out of the Dark Days of Misbah.

:sarf2

lol, so OP is sarfraz fan and he wants to remember him and made this thread.

ok. the haters finding ways to expose themselves.

Why this post..just right after Rizwan delievered an outstanding innings today? That too about Sarfaraz…. i thought maybe OP changed his mind about Rizwan and would be talking abt Rizwan for a change? But it seems soo childish to post about best keeper/ batters knock in world cup..about Sarfaraz just after Rizwan delievered iconic performance today.. Talk about agenda.. its immature even by agenda driven posters’standards..

Though i like Sarfaraz too.. but still

and that too after 4 hours of a match winning performance by rizwan
Actually it was 1 hour after the performance.

Yea, it was a good performance. But it wasn’t good as Sarfraz’s performance.

Why this post..just right after Rizwan delievered an outstanding innings today? That too about Sarfaraz…. i thought maybe OP changed his mind about Rizwan and would be talking abt Rizwan for a change? But it seems soo childish to post about best keeper/ batters knock in world cup..about Sarfaraz just after Rizwan delievered iconic performance today.. Talk about agenda.. its immature even by agenda driven posters’standards..

Though i like Sarfaraz too.. but still
It’s not everyday that a Pakistan WK does a MOTM performance in the WC.

I liked Rizwan today. Not saying I don’t.

However, I need to make it clear that Sarfraz’s performance from that day is unmatched. It was truly a remarkable display. It will be extremely difficult for any Pakistani WK to beat.

Actually it was 1 hour after the performance.

Yea, it was a good performance. But it wasn’t good as Sarfraz’s performance.
yes a 49 run game was the best performance compared to a 120 run performance chasing 345 runs.

at this rate, even Iftikhar's performance would also be better as he smacked four 4s.

yes a 49 run game was the best performance compared to a 120 run performance chasing 345 runs.

at this rate, even Iftikhar's performance would also be better as he smacked four 4s.
You can’t brag about chasing 345.

You’re not supposed to be conceding 344/9 against a weak SL team. This is 2023, everybody chases 340 scores.

A 49(49) against strong South Africa team consisting of Steyn, Morkel, Tahir on a swinging green moist bouncy wicket in Auckland under floodlights is a legendary innings.

Undoubtedly one of the best worldcup innings and a game changer for team Pakistan in terms of lifting the morale of the side. Rizwan can be next dhoniii for Pakistan and sure is a captaincy material. I like his temperament -

-From an Indian fan

You’re not supposed to be conceding 344/9 against a weak SL team. This is 2023, everybody chases 340 scores.

A 49(49) against strong South Africa team consisting of Steyn, Morkel, Tahir on a swinging green moist bouncy wicket in Auckland under floodlights is a legendary innings.
would you be giving the same logic to the auss and sa team that cored and chased 400+

Stop arguing over stupid fuss guys. Rizwan's today's innings was outstanding and So was Sarfraz's performances in '15 WC. Peak Sarfraz keeping > Peak Rizwan keeping.
Peak Rizwan batting > Peak Sarfraz batting. End of story.
There is no need to compare. Both are well respected Pakistanis and need every bit of support from us.

U didnt answer my question
The premise of your question is totally wrong and doesn’t warrant a response.

Australia doesn’t concede 320+ totals against weak teams. Their B-team might concede that much against South Africa or India.

Australia doesn’t concede 320+ totals against weak teams. Their B-team might concede that much against South Africa or India.
so the 400+ game was their B team against South Africa?

Rizwan haters coming with new theories today

In that match in Auckland in 2015, Sarfraz was being absolutely destroyed by the fast bowling and couldn’t make any runs.

He was 10(24) until Imran Tahir came and Sarfraz started bashing the spinners.

I like Sarfraz, he was a big reason we won 2017 Champions Trophy. He is a far inferior batsmen to Rizwan in every way.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ArabKnight is trolling us 😂

In that match in Auckland in 2015, Sarfraz was being absolutely destroyed by the fast bowling and couldn’t make any runs.

He was 10(24) until Imran Tahir came and Sarfraz started bashing the spinners.

I like Sarfraz, he was a big reason we won 2017 Champions Trophy. He is a far inferior batsmen to Rizwan in every way.
He was 10(24) because of that joke of a captain Misbah.

Only reason Sarfraz got out was he was trying to make as much runs as possible for the pathetic squad.

He was striking at a 360 SR the previous over (18 runs off 5 balls). Had he not got run-out, he would’ve gone onto score a century perhaps. Btw, in the next match - he scored a century, which proves his red hot form in that WC.

Also, my man Sarfraz doesn’t slow down when he’s approaching a milestone. He’s a team player.

Undoubtedly one of the best worldcup innings and a game changer for team Pakistan in terms of lifting the morale of the side. Rizwan can be next dhoniii for Pakistan and sure is a captaincy material. I like his temperament -

-From an Indian fan
Sadly we don't want him to be Dhoni who captained India in 6 t20 WCs and won only 1. Its only the Indian public who make ordinary human beings demi gods

If Rizwan is given leadership in the future, he would definitely surpass Dhoni

What was the relevance of that knock? That whole WC was flowed with Group Stage matches accounting for nothing as 4 team progressed from each group

Sadly we don't want him to be Dhoni who captained India in 6 t20 WCs and won only 1. Its only the Indian public who make ordinary human beings demi gods

I talked about ODI worldcup. Dhoni is the only captain to have won ODI,t20 and champions trophy.

Indian public treat ordinary human beings as demi gods where pakistanies make them "vazeer-e-azam"/prime minister out of similar human beings like dhoni

I talked about ODI worldcup. Dhoni is the only captain to have won ODI,t20 and champions trophy.

Indian public treat ordinary human beings as demi gods where pakistanies make them "vazeer-e-azam"/prime minister out of similar human beings like dhoni
Lol did Dhoni graduate from Oxford University? Dhoni wouldn't have been even admitted into Ranchi University of Arts and Social Sciences.

Did Dhoni build a cancer hospital in a low income country where all patients from low income groups are cured for FREE? Plus building is one thing, Imran Khan has SUSTAINED it for 28 years now.

Is Dhoni willing to sacrifice 15 years of his life with people making fun of him for entering politics? When Imran Khan started out, he couldn't even win his OWN CONSTITUENCY. so that just kills the illogical argument that his cricketing achievements had anything to do with him becoming Prime Minister.

Pakistan is different from India. Here comedians, actors, cricketers do not get elected to assemblies.

Finally, are Dhoni's stats even near to a batting average of 37 and bowling average of 22? Mind you, Imran Khan lost couple of peak years as a bowler due to injury where he solely played as a batsman and during that time period, averaged more than 50 with the bat.

Dated British royalty, people who wouldn't even let Dhoni come near them.

Next time you take the name of someone as BIG as Imran Khan, have some decency and show respect.

Comparing Sarfraz to Rizwan is somewhat of a joke.

During the 2019 World Cup, Sarfraz managed to score 143 runs across 8 innings. In contrast this World Cup, Rizwan has already hammered 199 runs in just 2 innings.

Sarfraz as captain would take refuge behind Hasan Ali and Wahab. On the other hand, Rizwan is a leader who willingly thrusts himself into the trenches, regardless of the circumstances – even if he's battling cramps or has spent a night in the ICU.

Friends, just recall the match against Australia in the last World Cup and juxtapose it with Rizwan's hundred last night, that should help show everyone the difference between the two.

Rizwan doesn't inspire confidence to be honest.

Babar however is different.

As an Indian, I'll be way more happy to see babars wicket than rizwan. He seems lack of confidence in contrast to babar.

Last night's innings was something that needs to be acknowledged. That chase was depending on Abdullah and Rizwan to carry it to the last breath which they did. Rizwan in particular, held the innings and led the chase to perfection. That innings was an absolute class.

Lol did Dhoni graduate from Oxford University? Dhoni wouldn't have been even admitted into Ranchi University of Arts and Social Sciences.

Did Dhoni build a cancer hospital in a low income country where all patients from low income groups are cured for FREE? Plus building is one thing, Imran Khan has SUSTAINED it for 28 years now.

Is Dhoni willing to sacrifice 15 years of his life with people making fun of him for entering politics? When Imran Khan started out, he couldn't even win his OWN CONSTITUENCY. so that just kills the illogical argument that his cricketing achievements had anything to do with him becoming Prime Minister.

Pakistan is different from India. Here comedians, actors, cricketers do not get elected to assemblies.

Finally, are Dhoni's stats even near to a batting average of 37 and bowling average of 22? Mind you, Imran Khan lost couple of peak years as a bowler due to injury where he solely played as a batsman and during that time period, averaged more than 50 with the bat.

Next time you take the name of someone as BIG as Imran Khan, have some decency and show respect.
Dhoni for all his achievements is a cricketing god in India, there is nothing wrong if people adore him. He has won everything any cricketer could dream of. Imran dating a British legend is his personal choice , that aint a social status we should all bask in, specially Indians. Imrans life is not benchmark for other cricketers to emulate.

did Dhoni graduate from Oxford University?
Dhoni wouldn't have been even admitted into Ranchi University of Arts and Social Sciences. :
Dhoni's crickteing rise and sporting achievements is one of the legendary stories of rags to riches. Let's celebrate uniqueness of each individual. Why did some one have to graduate From Oxford or go Imran route every which way? Stop basking in reflected glory and over normalization of some ones life as benchmark. I have only reacted to Indians treating Dhoni as Demi god due to his cricketing achievements. Imrans political career or cancer hospital was built on backdrop of WORLD CUP glory, so let's stick to cricket here. Between, I like Imran the politician . Back in 2005-2006 during my Orkut days, my profile pic was imrans - A fan from India!
are Dhoni's stats even near to a batting average of 37 and bowling average of 22 : Talking about dhoni, the captain !

This thread has made me even more embrassed of the comments I made yesterday 😂😂😂.

Guys if you want to be biased fine, I loved sarfi's innings, it was great but rizzu's innings today surpasses it by any means.

Unless your actually mentally ill, you can't claim that sarfi's performance was superior 😂😂, and this is coming from someone who loves sarfi lol.

If you want to continue hating on rizwan, let me help you.

A better argument would be compare sarfi's captaincy from leading Pakistan from what everyone considered a joke nation to winning a cup and humiliating pur rivals.

In terms of service for the country no one has served the country better then sarfi, 2006 under 19 win and CT 2017 win from a joke nation to champions is a narrative that surpasses even 1992 World cup because the narrative in that was that we were a decent team capable of competing.

But if you are comparing batting and keeping skills, Rizzu is a gun keeper and this innings is 100x Beyond any innings that any Pakistan wk has played in a world cup.

I'm not hating in sarfi, it was good but he takes the silver medal now, His innings has been surpassed.

Also for those saying it was a quality bowling opposition, Dale Steyn and jp duminy were at the end of their ropes and on last legs, SA was amongst the weakest bowling teams of that tournament lol.

so the 400+ game was their B team against South Africa?

Rizwan haters coming with new theories today
I now understand what you have had to deal with for years.😂 Massive respect to you Chad. ❤️

This thread is the biggest joke here, even bigger then the shadab vs kuldeep thread lol.

Why would dhoni build hospitals in India when people from Pakistan come here for medical treatment lol. What a baseless argument. Dhoni averaged 50 in odis and won every single icc trophy, which no pakistani captain could ever dream of doing

Dhoni has won the same amount of trophies as Pakistan have in their entire history lol. If he is a failure, than what does that make your cricket history. He won an idiot world Cup, the biggest trophy in sport, something you have never seen your team win

The context of innings are important.

Match and tournament situation

- Sarfraz came and made an impact on a tricky pitch in a dying campaign making the difference between going further in the tournament. It made an impact and went a long way towards Pakistan’s progression to the KO stages.

2023 - Rizwan played an innings chasing a big total on a flat pitch. It won the game, the impact on the tournament remains to be seen. If Pakistan don’t make the semis, then it’s a good performance, but ultimately not tournament changing.

Opposition

- SA were one of the tournament favourites, had a great bowling attack helped by some favourable bowling conditions.

2023 - SL are a very inconsistent side and their bowling attack is atrocious. They’re the only team to concede 400+ in this tournament and failed to defend 344

Conclusion

So one innings may look better on paper, but if you put it all together, then it’s not so clearcut.

There’s no right answer - both were excellent innings and you can’t have a go at @ArabKnight for his opinion.

Rizwan doesn't inspire confidence to be honest.

Babar however is different.

As an Indian, I'll be way more happy to see babars wicket than rizwan. He seems lack of confidence in contrast to babar.
Its the opposite, I think.. Rizwan performs much better under pressure, than Babar.. Rizwan though looks unattractive, and for his first 15 balls, looks like a tailender but once he gets through that, he gets the job done mostly, whereas babar gets bogged down under pressure, despite being a superior batsman technically… Rizwan is much more consistent than Babar, espcially under pressure..

Sarfraz fans lol :ROFLMAO:

The bottom line is that Rizwan is miles ahead of Sarfraz as a cricketer. He is a better batsman, better wicketkeeper and has far better fitness. Sarfraz was a good player for us between 2014-17, but before and after that purple patch period, he has been absolutely pathetic.

You got hand it hand it to the haters of Rizwan, comparing the quality of an innings in a WC based on progression in 2 different WCs, with 2 different qualifying stages - Round Robin vs Group. Such is the hate!

There are countless innings by Rizwan in world cups that dwarf Sarfraz WC innings.

Fun fact, Rizwan 131* is the highest ever score by a Pakistan Wicket Keeper batsman, WC or no WC.

It's a great day to be a Pakistan supporter!

It was quite simply one of the greatest ever performances by a Pakistani batter in white ball cricket.

Rizwan absolutely rocked.
Couldn’t have been done by a better bloke.

He’s the best ambassador of Pakistan cricket right now. Plays it in the right manner.

Those pictures of Afridi, NS and etc for me is what Major needs to see. Misbah without doubt was very well connected.

Sarfraz wasn’t and still made it into Misbah’s team, fair play to him against all odds.

Those pictures of Afridi, NS and etc for me is what Major needs to see. Misbah without doubt was very well connected.

Sarfraz wasn’t and still made it into Misbah’s team, fair play to him against all odds.
Sarfraz the keeper was still the ultimate player and captain for Pakistan before Misbah took over chief selection.

Misbah suddenly became the Chief Selector + Head Coach Dictator (a position never held by anyone in any cricket board in the history of the world) on September 4, 2019.

Sarfraz was sacked as captain from all formats just a month later on October 18, 2019.

When sacked:
- 6 ODI match Win-Streak
- 11 T20I Series Win-Streak —
just broken by a One-Off T20I against England &
the recently concluded T20I series loss against SL (Sarfraz was the top-scorer for Pakistan in this series & MUCH MORE RUNS THAN BABAR)

Biggest injustices in Pakistan cricket. Sarfraz remains the top performing wicket keeper & captain in Pakistan history.

Sarfraz the keeper was still the ultimate player and captain for Pakistan before Misbah took over chief selection.

Misbah suddenly became the Chief Selector + Head Coach Dictator (a position never held by anyone in any cricket board in the history of the world) on September 4, 2019.

Sarfraz was sacked as captain from all formats just a month later on October 18, 2019.

When sacked:
- 6 ODI match Win-Streak
- 11 T20I Series Win-Streak —
just broken by a One-Off T20I against England &
the recently concluded T20I series loss against SL (Sarfraz was the top-scorer for Pakistan in this series & MUCH MORE RUNS THAN BABAR)

Biggest injustices in Pakistan cricket. Sarfraz remains the top performing wicket keeper & captain in Pakistan history.
What was his individual performance in this streak?
I need to know that

Sarfaraz Ahmed's 101*(124) against Ireland in ICC World Cup 2015. I rate it high because this century was on Australian wickets while chasing.

Jos Inglis played a pivotal role in semi final win. I was surprised when they backed him. But he has time and again stepped up.

Most posters here were either kids or have simply forgotten 99 world cup. So I suggest them to go back & watch Moin Khan treating peak goat level Aus/SA fast bowlers like some local club trundlers. Watch those two knocks properly before putting any con artist on pedestal. Just to remind people he bashed bowling attacks consisting of Mcgrath, Fleming, Donald, Pollock, Klusner etc. There was no crap spray gun like Pathiarana, neither any Dumini like part timer to feast on. The boundaries weren't 60 meters mickey mouse level neither the pitches were flat pancakes.

Yes Akram got the mom award(rightfully) against Aus & Shoaib bottled against Klusner resulting Pak's surrender against SA. But Moin purely as a batter did stuff no one else had been able to do. You can't erase these two knocks if you are honestly being logical & rational on discussing goat batting displays by Pak wicket keepers in world cups.

Rizwan is way ahead of Sarfraz

steyn, abbot & morkel are nothing players compared wellage, de silva, madushanka and pathirana

and India is difficult to bat on compered to Australia

Most posters here were either kids or have simply forgotten 99 world cup. So I suggest them to go back & watch Moin Khan treating peak goat level Aus/SA fast bowlers like some local club trundlers. Watch those two knocks properly before putting any con artist on pedestal. Just to remind people he bashed bowling attacks consisting of Mcgrath, Fleming, Donald, Pollock, Klusner etc. There was no crap spray gun like Pathiarana, neither any Dumini like part timer to feast on. The boundaries weren't 60 meters mickey mouse level neither the pitches were flat pancakes.

Yes Akram got the mom award(rightfully) against Aus & Shoaib bottled against Klusner resulting Pak's surrender against SA. But Moin purely as a batter did stuff no one else had been able to do. You can't erase these two knocks if you are honestly being logical & rational on discussing goat batting displays by Pak wicket keepers in world cups.
Mcgrath, Fleming, Donald, Pollock, Klusner who are all these players?

current sri lanka has the best bowling line up in the entire history of cricket

wellage, de silva, madushanka and pathirana

99 England, Pakistan v Australia group stage

Moin khan steps in, 31 off 12, pakistan scores nearly 100 in the last ten overs

2020s cricket played in 2019

People have no clue on different eras.

Rizwan has literally 3 shots, Which is sweep, Hoick and inside out drive. Every other shot is a leg side jab or leg side pull.

Bats in this era with the ball only getting max 25 overs old tend to fly off easily making these shots in possible.

In moin khan's era playing a sweep was used for singles and to nullify a full pitched or even good length spin delivery, now slog sweep fly for sixes cause the bats in today's era are more advanced then those bats and the ball is easier to hit cause its harder.

Truth is, if rizwan played in that era besides the inside put drive, none of his shots would ever work, he'd be a gully Level cricketer for that era.

So when people claim rizwan is > Wasim bari and Moin Khan it's laughable

Rizwan's century against SL was probably the best from a Pakistani keeper at a World Cup game.

I remember Moeen Khan played some useful cameos back in the days (1999 WC).

Back