Beyond the Boundary: Pakistan look to extinguish ghosts of the past and end wait for a third Asia Cup title

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Many thanks to @Markhor for his very detailed preview of the upcoming Asia Cup and how Pakistan can overcome hype surrounding the favourites tag and actually win their third Asia Cup title.
F4hYq8JXYAAciqB

Pakistan look to extinguish ghosts of past and end wait for a third Asia Cup title

Pakistan’s trophy cabinet contains an array of honours from an ODI World Cup, T20 World Cup, Champions Trophy and a #1 Test ranking. Yet the Asia Cup has proven curiously elusive with only two wins since the tournament’s inception in 1984 with the last coming in 2012. It’s surprising given the strength of Pakistan teams over the years. An opportunity to add a third Asia Cup last year in the T20 format was spurned after losing the final to underdogs Sri Lanka.

Handling the favourites tag

In 2023 Pakistan are again Asia Cup favourites – a phrase that sits uneasily with a nation reared on cliches about cornered tigers. It’s a tag Pakistan wilted under at the 2018 Asia Cup; the last edition played in an ODI format. That triggered a disastrous spell of results that culminated in a group stage exit at the 2019 World Cup where Pakistan peaked too late.

However, there are key differences between 2018 and 2023. Pakistan’s form was highly erratic in the buildup. After the 2017 Champions Trophy win, they beat Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe 5-0 but were thrashed 5-0 by New Zealand in between. This time, Pakistan are ranked at #1 in ODIs, have the best W/L ratio of any team since the last World Cup and recently whitewashed Afghanistan 3-0 in tricky Sri Lankan conditions.

PlayedWonLostW/L
Pakistan312282.750
India5734201.700
Bangladesh4527161.687
New Zealand3621131.615
Australia3621151.400
South Africa3518131.384
England3618151.200
Sri Lanka5026221.181
Afghanistan2714121.166
Netherlands348240.333

Critics will question the strength of opposition and the relative lack of ODIs compared to other nations. However, Pakistan are hardly the only beneficiaries of so-called “B team bashing” in bilateral ODIs and winning habits are far likelier than anything else to engender tournament success.

Top dogs in pace, but not spin

For a long time, Pakistan’s “pace bowling strength” was a lazy cliché trotted out by uninformed pundits based on past glories. Now, Pakistan’s pace attack is ranked at the top of the table over the last four years in bowling average and strike rate.

However, Pakistan’s spin attack is arguably amongst the weakest in Asia. From the top 15 averaging spinners with a minimum of 20 wickets since the 2019 World Cup – only one is Pakistani. Meanwhile three Sri Lankans, three Afghans, three Bangladeshis, and two Indians make the list. Does Pakistan possess enough bite in the middle-overs ?

MatchesWicketsBowling AvgEconomy Rate
Adam Zampa (AUS)316620.694.99
Shakib Al Hasan (BAN)294521.844.14
Maheesh Theekshana (SL)223622.194.34
Taijul Islam (BAN)142522.284.45
Rashid Khan (AFG)243923.024.19
Mohammad Nawaz (PAK)152326.394.73
Wanindu Hasaranga (SL)395828.134.84
Yuzvendra Chahal (IND)233728.895.71
Mehidy Hasan Miraz (BAN)425329.204.86
Mohammad Nabi (AFG)242630.264.34
Mujeeb Ur Rahman (AFG)273330.394.34
Tabraiz Shamsi (SAF)243830.575.55
Kuldeep Yadav (IND)334831.565.51
Adil Rashid (ENG)264033.675.72
Dhananjaya de Silva (SL)362138.144.79
(Table features only players from teams participating at the 2023 World Cup)

The middle order conundrum

The biggest headache for Pakistan going into the Asia Cup and World Cup is their middle-order. It’s not for a lack of options. Saud Shakeel, Agha Salman, Iftikhar Ahmed, Abdullah Shafique and Tayyab Tahir are all capable players. However, there’ll likely be space for only two of these and nobody has a “slam-dunk” case.

Yes​
No​
Saud ShakeelMost technically correct; List A average of 44; stellar SL Test seriesLimited powerhitting ability if targeting > 300 or RRR > 8-9
Agha SalmanGood ODI record; success in SL TestsDisappointed in first two ODIs vs Afghanistan
Iftikhar AhmedAverages 56 at SR 106 in 2023Weakness against wristspin
Tayyab TahirBig hitter with List A SR of 90Poor vs AFG in T20 series
Abdullah ShafiqueExcellent SL Test seriesDismal white-ball record so far

Asia Cup; a glorified friendly ?

One may argue this is overthinking for a tournament designed to finetune combinations for the World Cup. But with Pakistan co-hosting the event, and three defeats in major tournament semi-finals and finals in the last two years, Pakistan must prove they have the mettle to get over the line.

Well written !

It’s definitely the strongest team we’ve had in a while but like you mentioned, huge question marks around our spinning options.

Additionally, at least for the first two ODI’s against Afghanistan, we’ve played with a batsmen short so I feel a lot of our success will depend on the team we pick on the day.

Since spin will play a critical factor in the Asia cup, it would be interesting to dive into how good our batsmen have fared against spin relative to other teams competing in the Asia Cup.

Other problems I foresee:

- We are overly reliant on our top 3.
Fakhar Zaman cannot play on slow wickets and Babar has a weakness against spin. Typically is most games I’ve noticed at least one of these 3 score 75+
- Middle order is not settled but on the plus side, Rizwan and Agha Salman have picked up some form

The team has many positives, but as a Pakistani I’ll only focus on the negatives :p

Very balanced and insightful.

1. I was surprised to see Nawaz up there in top 5, so him along with Shadab is going to be OK. But I do agree that we missed developing a mystery spinner like Abrar.

2. I was surprised to see 56 average with 100+ SR from Ifti. Hard to drop but he’s looked out of sorts in LPL and Afghanistan series. Harsh to drop him.

As always the fascinating question for me will be whether our guys freeze against Ind or turn up and play like they did in the T20 WC games.

Salman Butt in an interview:

"I want to congratulate everyone on becoming the number one ODI team,"

"We need to keep on playing like this. To maintain the number one rank, we need to work much harder."

"Pakistan team have tough goals ahead: Asia Cup and the World Cup"

"Our team's combination is stable right now, everyone in the team play with unity, which is a good thing."

"Saud Shakeel's batting technique is very good and the way he bats, he can be successful in ODIs as well.

"Unfortunately, in the past we middle-order could not play long innings [but now it has changed]."

"The team will benefit from playing in Sri Lanka before the Asia Cup. When you have played on the same pitches before a big tournament, you get familiar with the conditions,"

"Everyone knows Shaheen bowls an inswinging delivery at full length in his first over. It has become a challenge even for the best batters in the world."

"If Pakistan can get early wickets of Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli, then [India will be in trouble], the rest of their players have no experience of playing under pressure.

"Although, Sharma and Kohli can single-handedly decide a match's fate."

Well written !

It’s definitely the strongest team we’ve had in a while but like you mentioned, huge question marks around our spinning options.

Additionally, at least for the first two ODI’s against Afghanistan, we’ve played with a batsmen short so I feel a lot of our success will depend on the team we pick on the day.

Since spin will play a critical factor in the Asia cup, it would be interesting to dive into how good our batsmen have fared against spin relative to other teams competing in the Asia Cup.

Other problems I foresee:

- We are overly reliant on our top 3.
Fakhar Zaman cannot play on slow wickets and Babar has a weakness against spin. Typically is most games I’ve noticed at least one of these 3 score 75+
- Middle order is not settled but on the plus side, Rizwan and Agha Salman have picked up some form

The team has many positives, but as a Pakistani I’ll only focus on the negatives :p
Think regarding importance of spin - it depends on the venue.

Something I didn't mention in the piece was spin averages 34.57 in Sri Lanka since the last World Cup. However I read yesterday spin averages 42.77 in Pakistan.

So could be worth playing four seamers in the Pakistan leg of the tournament and our usual three seamers plus two spinners combo in Sri Lanka ?

Think regarding importance of spin - it depends on the venue.

Something I didn't mention in the piece was spin averages 34.57 in Sri Lanka since the last World Cup. However I read yesterday spin averages 42.77 in Pakistan.

So could be worth playing four seamers in the Pakistan leg of the tournament and our usual three seamers plus two spinners combo in Sri Lanka ?
I heard its boilling hot.

So far from Pakistan, all-round goodness has been the order of the day.

Things could change in Sri Lanka.

This time Pakistan are certainly causing the chairs to rock. It's the first time they are entering the tournament as the top contenders.

No Asia cup anytime soon with pub league level fielding & keeper jumping up like his been hit with a missile every time he catches the ball & lousy spinners to go with it.

@Markhor

Is this going as per your expectations?
Yes. The three main pacers have taken bulk of the wickets in this tournament. However they'll have off-days or one may go off injured like Haris Rauf has today, so our change bowlers must step up.

But our middle-overs weakness has been exposed again, particularly our lack of spinners. Look at that table of leading spinners since the 2019 WC - there's only one Pakistani on there (currently sitting on the bench). Yet even Nawaz's average is inflated by skittling weak teams.

Our frontline spinner, and vice-captain, averages 56 with the ball against the teams participating in the 2023 WC since the previous edition.

We can neither contain or take wickets in PP 2 and will probably spell the end of our Asia Cup/World Cup unless we find a solution quick.

Back